Save $150 of PS3 with Playstation Credit Card

roller

CAG Veteran
From now until Dec. 31 if you get the Playstation credit card you can save $150 of your purchase of a PS3. It has no annual fee and it extends your warranty. For more details see here.

I did a search and did not see this posted yet but if there is already a thread then please delete this one.

Okay... I've read the "fine print" a couple times now, and noticed a few interesting things.

1. In the main ad, they talk about getting a $100 credit when you buy a ps3.. The fine prints however, indicates a "qualifying purchase" as a single sales receipt that is at least $299. I take that to mean if you go buy $299 worth of stuff at once (one receipt) then you get the $100 credit! I think buying a ps3 may just be the "suggested purchase" that Sony would love you to make :).

2. I see no mention of where you need to buy the items. Only that you get 12 months of deferred interest if you buy from a Sony store.

3. If you click the "apply now" button, it pops up a message saying "you must complete the following step to make sure first purchase at sonyrewards.com only". So, does that mean you complete the steps ONLY if you want to make your first purchase at sonyrewards.com... or does it mean you can ONLY use sonyrewards.com for your first purchase? I think it just means you can make a purchase at sonyrewards.com immediately after you apply ONLY if you complete those steps, but I'm suspicious.

I may try to apply by phone, so I can ask them about the details.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Pengwyns']I went ahead and signed up for a card. Upon being approved, I received the following message, "Your new Visa card and complete information will be mailed to you within the next 2 weeks." If there's no new information here when I receive my paperwork I'll report back any details about the $300 cash back. Figure worst case scenario I just cancel the card without using it, best case scenario I get a $99 PS3 from Amazon.[/QUOTE]
I signed up too, that message should have included your account number, 3 digit CCV, and expiration date. I went ahead and ordered the PS3 and some component cables from Sony Style using that account number.

There's also some Rewards web site that the offer web page tells you to shop at, but it has some weird point system where you have to buy points I guess, then redeem them for the product. And that site charges about $30 for shipping where shipping from Sony Style is free.

[quote name='Shimrra']Why would anyone jump on this. The interest rate kills you. [/QUOTE]

Because people pay their bills on time?

I'm jumping on this if the PS3 hits $299.99 this year.

it'll be tough though...they are stil bleeding from individual ps3 sales at the 399 price point last time I heard (even though the rumor that they broke even floated around, but I don't think the expensive components are dropping price any time soon); secondly, sony overall is not on target with their projection, which mean they are planning to do a bunch of cost saving measures-slashing cost is just counter-intuitive in this economy, especially their last price drop didn't help them get the market share they expected to get...but that's just me being cynical

Hey uhh, so what is the deal now with this? I just ordered a card, didn't get instantly approved, and the card should be coming soon...

I jumped on this deal (when it was $150 off) during the holiday shopping season, and it's worked out well for me. After being instantly approved, I did go through the sonyrewards.com store because I wanted to have the $150 off immediately and get my ps3 before Christmas. I had to pay for shipping but it's okay, I still saved around $120.

To everyone wondering if you can use the card anywhere, the deal only works at authorized sony retailers. Go to sonyrewards.com once you have received your card (I think you should already be signed up beforehand), and go to your account information and then to "View your Sony/Playstation card." There's a link there that gives you both online and B&M authorized sony retailers. If you go about the deal this way, you won't get the $100 off immediately. Not entirely sure how long it takes before they credit it to your account, and I don't know how the "spend $3000 get $200 credit" works.

FInally, I really recommend earning points through the sonyrewards website. There's ways to get points without spending money, and they have a ton of stuff in their catalog that you can get for cheap for doing the random stuff they have on their site. Here's the thread with all that info
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178010&highlight=sony+rewards

And yes, people do pay their bills on time.

You need to buy a PS3 specificially. I tried the Sony card trick and buying $300 in Amazon gift cards and they refused to give me the $150 credit. Again, PS3 Only folks or you're not getting JACK.

[quote name='disillusion386']To everyone wondering if you can use the card anywhere, the deal only works at authorized sony retailers.[/QUOTE]
Didn't the $150 ad specifically say "authorized dealers only" though? This ad makes no mention of it. Doesn't matter I guess, most every store I would buy from looks to be an authorized dealer. Now someone post a sweet deal on the ps3 from a store... free game, giftcard, something! I'm am a cheap ass gamer afterall :).

[quote name='ekoshyun']You need to buy a PS3 specificially. I tried the Sony card trick and buying $300 in Amazon gift cards and they refused to give me the $150 credit. Again, PS3 Only folks or you're not getting JACK.[/QUOTE]
That sucks. They need to word their offers better then. Isn't that what their lawyers get paid ridiculous amounts of money to do... write painfully long verbiage?

[quote name='colt4by5']Didn't the $150 ad specifically say "authorized dealers only" though? This ad makes no mention of it. Doesn't matter I guess, most every store I would buy from looks to be an authorized dealer. Now someone post a sweet deal on the ps3 from a store... free game, giftcard, something! I'm am a cheap ass gamer afterall :).[/quote]

They run this promo a lot of times, so I think you can use the card at any authorized retailer. I would call CS first before signing up to be sure. Their CSRs are pretty knowledgeable.

As to a cheap ps3 promo, the only one I can think of is the dell.com one. THat might be dead already though. I say wait a bit after you sign up for the card, and make sure you (again through CS) don't have to use the card on the ps3 right away.

You can buy it through Amazon (with your new Sony card) and they will credit you the $150. It's the way I did it and you'll get free shipping and no tax.

[quote name='chin78']You can buy it through Amazon (with your new Sony card) and they will credit you the $150. It's the way I did it and you'll get free shipping and no tax.[/quote]

Thanks a ton for the confirmation that this works. This was the scenario that I've been hoping would work. Discount plus no tax plus free shipping just helps to make a good deal better.

[quote name='Mr. 420']The card is not worth it. Chase banks can suc my dic.[/quote]

So, what you are really saying is you don't like Chase Bank?

Are you sure you can go through Amazon to get the $100 credit? I e-mailed yesterday and they said it had to be through sonystyle.com.

[quote name='disillusion386']I would call CS first before signing up to be sure. Their CSRs are pretty knowledgeable.[/QUOTE]
I can't find a phone number for CS anywhere! The one number I did find was for account management, and kept asking for my account number. I really don't want to order through sonystyle, and there seems to be doubt about using an authorized dealer.

Edit: Wait... let me try the sony rewards people. I was trying numbers off the credit card link, which is Chase.

Edit #2: Talked with Sony CSR. She "thinks" the order will have to be through sonystyle, since the offer is on the sonyrewards page. Apparently, if I apply for the credit card and call back with my account number, then I can find out for sure using my account details... nice and sleazy ;).

Edit #3: I think you need to order through sonystyle, based on clicking the links to the original offer that expired on December 31. If you click the link to get the instant $150 off through sonystyle, it takes you to this new offer. If you click the link to use an authorized dealer, it takes you to the sony rewards homepage (i.e. the link is broken). I'll pass on this one.

[quote name='colt4by5']I can't find a phone number for CS anywhere! The one number I did find was for account management, and kept asking for my account number. I really don't want to order through sonystyle, and there seems to be doubt about using an authorized dealer.

Edit: Wait... let me try the sony rewards people. I was trying numbers off the credit card link, which is Chase.

Edit #2: Talked with Sony CSR. She "thinks" the order will have to be through sonystyle, since the offer is on the sonyrewards page. Apparently, if I apply for the credit card and call back with my account number, then I can find out for sure using my account details... nice and sleazy ;).

Edit #3: I think you need to order through sonystyle, based on clicking the links to the original offer that expired on December 31. If you click the link to get the instant $150 off through sonystyle, it takes you to this new offer. If you click the link to use an authorized dealer, it takes you to the sony rewards homepage (i.e. the link is broken). I'll pass on this one.[/quote]

yeah it sounds risky. good call. i say just wait until they do another one of those deals where you can purchase the ps3 from any authorized seller.

Wow, this deal just got a lot worse! I called Sony again to check one last time, and they actually transferred me to Chase to get the offer details. The Chase rep told me that the ps3 purchase had to be made at SonyStyle AND the $3000 had to be spend at SonyStyle! There's no way I'm dropping $3399 total at SonyStyle in 6 months. If you want the Chase number, it's 877-718-7669.

Edit: Fixed phone number.

[quote name='colt4by5']Wow, this deal just got a lot worse! I called Sony again to check one last time, and they actually transferred me to Chase to get the offer details. The Chase rep told me that the ps3 purchase had to be made at SonyStyle AND the $3000 had to be spend at SonyStyle! There's no way I'm dropping $3399 total at SonyStyle in 6 months. If you want the Chase number, it's 877-718-7699.[/quote]
Can't be true, on the front page of the offer is says "Use your Playstation Card on your everyday purchases, spend an additional $3,000 or more and qualify for an extra $200 card credits"

[quote name='b2k1121']Can't be true, on the front page of the offer is says "Use your Playstation Card on your everyday purchases, spend an additional $3,000 or more and qualify for an extra $200 card credits"[/QUOTE]
Sure... everyday purchases at SonyStyle and the Sony Store ;). I agree it sounds too bad to be true, but I doubt I'll take my chances. I posted the phone number so that hopefully a few people will call and see what response they get. It wouldn't shock me if the phone rep I spoke with didn't know what she was talking about.

I called Chase again (although the intro message still says Sony) and this rep said ps3 must be purchased at SonyStyle and additional $3000 can be spent anywhere. She was just reading the offer webpage back to me though, so I think each rep is just making their own judgment.

I did this deal,well technically had my mom do it as it was a Christmas gift and I wouldn't open the card and buy it myself.Anyhow,the PS3 was bought at Best Buy after the card was opened.The card arrived the Monday before Christmas which is 6 days after opening it.We did not get the rebate initially so we called Sony,they sent the rebate form via email,and we are getting the rebate.Then you can cancel the Card after paying it off.One note is that tax is not included so the system will actually be around 275 depending on where you live.

[quote name='Snake2715']This has been done to death, but apparently there are always more souls willing to go into debt! Pay it off asap if possible. Then if you have not opened any other lines of credit recently, it really wont hurt you. Unless of course you have a bunch of open credit, or charge it close to max. Its that perfect balance that must be attained.[/quote]

Not true.Actually it is good to open and close different cards periodically.Especially with the way banks are changing card rates.My mother who is extremely financially responsible opens and closes card all of the time,paying them off and keeping her credit score great.Also,it is a good idea to have multiple cards to build the credit as well.The problem is with people not paying bills and thinking credit cards are free money.You can open 25 cards if you keep them paid,the problem is people do not.

[quote name='TimDJ84']I did this deal,well technically had my mom do it as it was a Christmas gift and I wouldn't open the card and buy it myself.Anyhow,the PS3 was bought at Best Buy after the card was opened.The card arrived the Monday before Christmas which is 6 days after opening it.We did not get the rebate initially so we called Sony,they sent the rebate form via email,and we are getting the rebate.Then you can cancel the Card after paying it off.One note is that tax is not included so the system will actually be around 275 depending on where you live.[/QUOTE]
That sounds like the $150 offer, which expired 12/31/2008 and appears to work differently than their current $100x3 offer.

I used my card a lot last month just to see how many reward points i could get, turns out not much. Definitely the best deal is buying a ps3, otherwise the card is mainly for use on the sony style site where you get 5x reward points... id suggest getting it on the sony style site to get a lotta reward points... :bouncy:

So how long do you have to spend the $3,000 to earn the extra $200 credit? I can't find it in the terms, and there's no (sane) way I'd ever spend $3,000 in one month on a credit card.

[quote name='Quadriflax']So how long do you have to spend the $3,000 to earn the extra $200 credit? I can't find it in the terms, and there's no (sane) way I'd ever spend $3,000 in one month on a credit card.[/QUOTE]
It's in there... click the '1' and '2' superscripts. The offer is written poorly though and is very vague, but here's the process, according to the phone rep...

1st $100 credit: You have 45 days from when the account opens to buy a PS3 at a Sony Style store or sonystyle.com using the card.

2nd $100 credit: You have 3 months from account opening to spend $1500 on the card for "everyday" purchases (the PS3 doesn't count towards the $1500).

3rd $100 credit: You have 6 months from account opening to spend $3000 on the card for "everyday" purchases (the PS3 doesn't count towards the $3000).

So after you buy the PS3, you can spend $3000 in the first 3 months and be done. Or, you can spend $1500 during the first 3 months, and then spend another $1500 during the next 3 months.

[quote name='rushisrighton']There are more reasons to get a sony card than just a couple hundred off of the ps3, no one is mentioning the sony REWARDS program, how about free movies, games and home theater stuff that you can earn, it's available to everyone who has the card here's a link where you can find out how:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178010[/quote]

Yeah that is what i was referencing, i used my card a lot last month just to see how many points i could get and you have to spend mostly on sony style to get any good acrueing of points. Basically its spend a lot to save a little as most rewards programs for cards are...

[quote name='farfus']Yeah that is what i was referencing, i used my card a lot last month just to see how many points i could get and you have to spend mostly on sony style to get any good acrueing of points. Basically its spend a lot to save a little as most rewards programs for cards are...[/quote]

Are you getting all of the free points off of the sonycard website? Or are you just spending, if it's just spending then yeah I agree, it's tough to get enough for anything good, but I find if I spend and get all of my free points off of the website, it adds up quite well. For example I do the coke rewards and the microsoft live search club programs and they suck x 10 compared to the sony rewards website.

I only use my sony card for maybe a little over 5 grand a year, but have managed a free ps3, psp200, dualshocksixaxis, psp game, bluray remote and I'm currently sitting at 8,000 rewards points right now (80.00) and I use my card very conservatively!! But I make sure to get every last free point offerd to me;).

[quote name='rushisrighton']Are you getting all of the free points off of the sonycard website? Or are you just spending, if it's just spending then yeah I agree, it's tough to get enough for anything good, but I find if I spend and get all of my free points off of the website, it adds up quite well. For example I do the coke rewards and the microsoft live search club programs and they suck x 10 compared to the sony rewards website.

I only use my sony card for maybe a little over 5 grand a year, but have managed a free ps3, psp200, dualshocksixaxis, psp game, bluray remote and I'm currently sitting at 8,000 rewards points right now (80.00) and I use my card very conservatively!! But I make sure to get every last free point offerd to me;).[/quote]

yeah i agree with rush. i just received my card this past december and i already have a little over 3000 points, and that doesn't include points i'll receive from purchases i've made with the card.

[quote name='colt4by5']It's in there... click the '1' and '2' superscripts. The offer is written poorly though and is very vague, but here's the process, according to the phone rep...

1st $100 credit: You have 45 days from when the account opens to buy a PS3 at a Sony Style store or sonystyle.com using the card.

2nd $100 credit: You have 3 months from account opening to spend $1500 on the card for "everyday" purchases (the PS3 doesn't count towards the $1500).

3rd $100 credit: You have 6 months from account opening to spend $3000 on the card for "everyday" purchases (the PS3 doesn't count towards the $3000).

So after you buy the PS3, you can spend $3000 in the first 3 months and be done. Or, you can spend $1500 during the first 3 months, and then spend another $1500 during the next 3 months.[/quote]

The terms and conditions are a little confusing. The 1st superscript talks about how to get each of the $100 credits. However, it doesn't explicitly say that your $299 purchase has to be at Sony Style. The 2nd superscript talks about how to qualify for 12 months of interest free payments. To qualify for 12 months of deferred interest payments on your $299 purchase, you have to make the purchase at Sony Style. IMO, the terms and conditions seem to say that you can get the $100 credit as long as you buy a PS3 with your PS Card. However, if you want to avoid paying interest on the PS3, then you have to buy it at Sony Style. I may be wrong, but that's how it reads to me. The first superscript says nothing about having to make your purchase at Sony Style. Only the 2nd one does...

For those that have received the 2 $100 credits for spending $3000 on "everyday items":

These credits dont have to be spent at sonystyle correct?

bread's done
Back