Second Verse Same as the First: Blue DS Lites Selling out

SpottedNigel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Scroll down the page to start reading this mans adventure to try and find an Enamel Navy DS last night.
http://www.kotaku.com/

To say the least, anyone who preordered a DS Lite is going to be waiting a while.

Thank god I have a micro to play or I may go insane.

Yea I was refreshing like every 5 minutes last night hoping for another update. Especially when he ended the one part with the tough looking guys approaching him. Poor guy's out there killing himself though so a system he doesn't even get to play though, that's tough.

[quote name='Masterkyo']That's good sign for Nintendo of Japan. Hope we don't wanted see short supply DS LITE here in the US :)[/quote]

Actually, and I hate to say it, I hope we have the same problem...except with a bit quicker refresh rate then the 360 launch. It'll just be good press.

The funny thing about reading his exploits and looking at the pictures is that the majority of the people in line were already playing a DS.

Considering the way the system seems to have become a part of the culture where hospitals are recommending them to patients for rehab and elderly women are camping out on concrete steps to get their own unit I don't see it getting better until Nintendo really steps up production. Now that's a run on sentence!

I think Nintendo is run by dumbasses.

You had the regular DS sell out in January, so what do you do? You make a whole fucking new system of course!

Instead of making the Lite Nintendo should have waited a year and just keep pumping the regular and try to meet demand with that.

How can Nintendo be run by dumbasses if they are making so much money? Dumbasses don't make money, dude. And besides, Nintendo did NOT expect this kind of demand for the DS; NO ONE could have predicted it selling around 500,000 units in a single week in Japan around Christmas time, thus creating these shortages.

Nintendo could have waited in Japan, that I'll agree.

In Europe and the US, this system will finally break people down who thought it looked like crap before...in which I'll agree again. Love the games for it, but I can see the average consumer looking at the original DS and going "I'm supposed to play that?".

Now its "I need to play that"

The point is if you can't meet the demand with one system don't come out with a new one!

And yes it should have been released in the states first but then Japan would feel left out.

[quote name='David85']The point is if you can't meet the demand with one system don't come out with a new one!

And yes it should have been released in the states first but then Japan would feel left out.[/QUOTE]
It's not a new system, its a redesigned system. If they couldn't meet demand with the DS and then released the GameBoy UberAdvance SP2, then yes, that would be stupid.

They sold 117k DS systems last week in Japan. I don't think only producing original DS systems would have boosted their production numbers all that much. Not to mention when you look at the sales charts, they sold 68k DS Lites. They produced something about 80k. So there are 12k DS Lites sitting around somewhere in Japan. Shortages are usually half perception.

[quote name='botticus']It's not a new system, its a redesigned system. If they couldn't meet demand with the DS and then released the GameBoy UberAdvance SP2, then yes, that would be stupid.

They sold 117k DS systems last week in Japan. I don't think only producing original DS systems would have boosted their production numbers all that much. Not to mention when you look at the sales charts, they sold 68k DS Lites. They produced something about 80k. So there are 12k DS Lites sitting around somewhere in Japan. Shortages are usually half perception.[/QUOTE]

We don't know for sure how many they produced. Them saying 80k does not actually mean they produced and SHIPPED 80k. I find it hard to beleive that 15% of DS Lites are just sitting around.

[quote name='gizmogc']We don't know for sure how many they produced. Them saying 80k does not actually mean they produced and SHIPPED 80k. I find it hard to beleive that 15% of DS Lites are just sitting around.[/QUOTE]
Well, I meant that as part of the "sitting around". Warehouses included.

I just hoped Nintendo's inability to produce enough DS Lites to meet demand in Japan doesn't translate to them having to bump back the release date here.

Yeah if they are just "sticking around" then Nintendo is even more dumb for not shipping them out as fast as they can.

Plus it's a fact when you make a new system, a redesign or not, that it takes time to get more of the new system made.

[quote name='botticus']It's not a new system, its a redesigned system. If they couldn't meet demand with the DS and then released the GameBoy UberAdvance SP2, then yes, that would be stupid.

They sold 117k DS systems last week in Japan. I don't think only producing original DS systems would have boosted their production numbers all that much. Not to mention when you look at the sales charts, they sold 68k DS Lites. They produced something about 80k. So there are 12k DS Lites sitting around somewhere in Japan. Shortages are usually half perception.[/QUOTE]

I'm just wondering... where did you get those numbers from?

[quote name='dmpolska']I'm just wondering... where did you get those numbers from?

80k was what Nintendo claimed they had produced (after originally intending to get some 220k or whatever before they ran into problems with the blue cases), there's probably a thread somewhere that says it.

The 117k total/68k Lites is from the Japan Sales Chart in the General Gaming forum.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87368

i hope these drop back to $169 again soon...i wanna import a white one.

I have a enamel navy on pre-order through Play-Asia and have heard nothing from them in regards to it. My shipping status says it will be shipped on 3/13 -- I ain't holding my breath.

I pre-ordered my navy on 2/14 and it says mine still says:
Estimated shipping date: On or before Mar 02, 2006

Yeah right!

bread's done
Back