Self Loathing vs. Narcissism

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Kayden']Why wont the hurting stop?[/QUOTE]

Because you touch yourself at night.:lol:

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Loop, shmoop. I'm just continuing a prior discussion zion and I had :)[/QUOTE]

In this case it doesnt' work and thanks for misdirecting it, I was trying to give sbmyl more shit.:D

[quote name='zionoverfire']Because you seem to look down on certain people, that's a bit more typical of narcissism.[/QUOTE]

I still don't see how being self loathing excludes you from loathing others. :lol:

[quote name='zionoverfire']
In this case it doesnt' work and thanks for misdirecting it, I was trying to give sbmyl more shit.:D[/QUOTE]

All the more reason to do it, jerk :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I still don't see how being self loathing excludes you from loathing others. :lol:[/QUOTE]

It doesn't, it just appears to me that you would be MORE narcissist than a self loather and on a simple scale like this would fall into the narcs catagory.;)

[quote name='zionoverfire']Because you touch yourself at night.:lol:
[/QUOTE]

Lies. I'm too busy playing Guild Wars at night... I touch myself durring the day just after I wake up. :joystick: :lol:

[quote name='Kayden']Lies. I'm too busy playing Guild Wars at night... I touch myself durring the day just after I wake up. :joystick: :lol:[/QUOTE]

How is guild wars by the way? My friend is looking for something everquest like.

[quote name='zionoverfire']How is guild wars by the way? My friend is looking for something everquest like.[/QUOTE]

How much have I posted in the past week? :lol:

[quote name='zionoverfire']It doesn't, it just appears to me that you would be MORE narcissist than a self loather and on a simple scale like this would fall into the narcs catagory.;)[/QUOTE]

Maybe that would apply if the basic tenant of narcissism wasn't self love (and not in the physical sense). Without that you haven't a leg to stand on. :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Maybe that would apply if the basic tenant of narcissism wasn't self love (and not in the physical sense). Without that you haven't a leg to stand on. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Part of self love is having self worth and to have self worth well sometimes you've got to crack a few eggs. And if you really are such a self loathing bastard I think you wouldn't stand up for yourself nearly as much as you do.

[quote name='Kayden']How much have I posted in the past week? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Honestly I couldn't tell you.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Part of self love is having self worth and to have self worth well sometimes you've got to crack a few eggs. And if you really are such a self loathing bastard I think you wouldn't stand up for yourself nearly as much as you do.

Honestly I couldn't tell you.[/QUOTE]

Well, think about what you can mock me for saying thats less than a week old... :lol:

[quote name='Kayden']Well, think about what you can mock me for saying thats less than a week old... :lol:[/QUOTE]

Oh your gf came on and posted a few juicy ones. :twisted:

[quote name='zionoverfire']Part of self love is having self worth and to have self worth well sometimes you've got to crack a few eggs. And if you really are such a self loathing bastard I think you wouldn't stand up for yourself nearly as much as you do.[/QUOTE]

But I have no self worth. I have very specific beliefs (and lack of beliefs) which I am not granted exception from.

For example, I maintain that the sole purpose of all life is reproduction. I have no desire to reproduce, therefore I am of no value to the world. :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']But I have no self worth. I have very specific beliefs (and lack of beliefs) which I am not granted exception from.

For example, I maintain that the sole purpose of all life is reproduction. I have no desire to reproduce, therefore I am of no value to the world. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Interesting, where do I find a list of these beliefs? Or do I have to coax them out of you somehow?

[quote name='zionoverfire']Interesting, where do I find a list of these beliefs? Or do I have to coax them out of you somehow?[/QUOTE]

I don't have a current list at the moment, though maybe I can whip one up in the near future. I'd like to take my time though, to make sure I don't leave something out.

Alternatively, you could ask specific questions and if I have an anwser it will be provided.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I don't have a current list at the moment, though maybe I can whip one up in the near future. I'd like to take my time though, to make sure I don't leave something out.

Alternatively, you could ask specific questions and if I have an anwser it will be provided.[/QUOTE]

Okay if the purpose of all humanity is to have children:

1. Why are you so facinated by supermodels who lack child bearing hips?
2. Why don't you want to have children?
3. Why if you are totally worthles haven't you killed yourself?
4. And why in the world is the purpose of life soley to reproduce?

[quote name='zionoverfire']Okay if the purpose of all humanity is to have children:

1. Why are you so facinated by supermodels who lack child bearing hips?
2. Why don't you want to have children?
3. Why if you are totally worthles haven't you killed yourself?
4. And why in the world is the purpose of life soley to reproduce?[/QUOTE]

1. Because that isn't important to me.
2. It is a pointless endeavor. And I don't like kids. :lol:
3. Yet. Also having nothing to live for is not the same as wanting to die. Though I do consider it on a fairly regular basis.
4. That's just the way things are. :lol: I don't know how you want me to answer that ... propogation of the species is the goal of all life, human or otherwise. It's a vicious circle, that.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']4.that ... propogation of the species is the goal of all life, human or otherwise. It's a vicious circle, that.[/QUOTE]

Out of all of your answers this one makes the least sense. Every species after some point will have produced offspring that are not of the same species, so in the end they produce their own end.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Out of all of your answers this one makes the least sense. Every species after some point will have produced offspring that are not of the same species, so in the end they produce their own end.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but they don't know that. They merely live to breed.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Yes, but they don't know that. They merely live to breed.[/QUOTE]

And what happens when they have the ability to choose how they breed? Humanity has been very selective when it can be on which traits it chooses.

But even then breeding requires years of nurturing before the cycle can be completed and that will requrie a great deal of people who themselves are not the parents themselves. Teachers for instance are a great example.

[quote name='zionoverfire']And what happens when they have the ability to choose how they breed? Humanity has been very selective when it can be on which traits it chooses.

But even then breeding requires years of nurturing before the cycle can be completed and that will requrie a great deal of people who themselves are not the parents themselves. Teachers for instance are a great example.[/QUOTE]

The fact that humans prepare for a life greater than mere survival is irrelavant. All that matters is that your offspring survive long enough to produce their own.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']The fact that humans prepare for a life greater than mere survival is irrelavant. All that matters is that your offspring survive long enough to produce their own.[/QUOTE]

That takes time, I'm not talking about society in terms of feeding, cloathing and producing skills nessasary to produce, feed and shelter the next and the next generation to come. The advantage with a society lies in it's ability to use other than the parents to take some of this load which allows for an increased reproduction rate and an increase survival rate. Therefor one does not need to physically have kids in order to benefit reproduction.

[quote name='zionoverfire']That takes time, I'm not talking about society in terms of feeding, cloathing and producing skills nessasary to produce, feed and shelter the next and the next generation to come. The advantage with a society lies in it's ability to use other than the parents to take some of this load which allows for an increased reproduction rate and an increase survival rate. Therefor one does not need to physically have kids in order to benefit reproduction.[/QUOTE]

Ok, somehow that wasn't clear to me in your last post. I was eating, my apologies. :lol:

In any case if you're not part of the solution, you're ... shit I changed my rank. :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Ok, somehow that wasn't clear to me in your last post. I was eating, my apologies. :lol:

In any case if you're not part of the solution, you're ... shit I changed my rank. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yes I make my posts vague for reasons such as this.;)

It just seems odd that you'd become so fixated on reproduction but you have so little interest in it.

Personally I'd say reproduction isn't that important because most of the people of this planet are simply cogs in a machine, if a few don't want to reproduce who cares the rest will simply make up for it. The importance of humanity has never in my opinion been our continuation in descendants but rather the ingenuity of a hadfull of people each generation.

:dunce: This conversation is too intellectual for me. But I will agree with Zion on that within a society personal propagation no longer has to be the first priority. Rather preservation of the species/society as a whole becomes more important. You can see this in social insects like ants or bees where there is a division of roles. Some exist only to protect the society, others exist only to feed the society and others still only exist to mate.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Yes I make my posts vague for reasons such as this.;)

It just seems odd that you'd become so fixated on reproduction but you have so little interest in it.

Personally I'd say reproduction isn't that important because most of the people of this planet are simply cogs in a machine, if a few don't want to reproduce who cares the rest will simply make up for it. The importance of humanity has never in my opinion been our continuation in descendants but rather the ingenuity of a hadfull of people each generation.[/QUOTE]

I only said it was what I believed, not that it made any sort of sense. :lol:

I'd agree that it's not important, but I maintain that it is the only thing approaching a purpose we have. :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I only said it was what I believed, not that it made any sort of sense. :lol:

I'd agree that it's not important, but I maintain that it is the only thing approaching a purpose we have. :lol:[/QUOTE]

It just seems odd that you are so focused on a "collective" purpose, do you actually care if the human race dies off in 500 years? I know I could lead a quite happy life even knowing of the planets impending doom.

[quote name='zionoverfire']It just seems odd that you are so focused on a "collective" purpose, do you actually care if the human race dies off in 500 years? I know I could lead a quite happy life even knowing of the planets impending doom.[/QUOTE]

Oh, not at all. I have a capacity for indifference you would not believe. :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Oh, not at all. I have a capacity for indifference you would not believe. :lol:[/QUOTE]

So then why consider yourself unimportant? I mean sure on a universal scale we are nothing but even I try to avoid thinking about really large and very tiny things to often, it's not very healthy. Certainly after seeing what the majority of humanity does with its lives you can see yourself as being worth perhaps a bit more than a shit?

[quote name='zionoverfire']So then why consider yourself unimportant? I mean sure on a universal scale we are nothing but even I try to avoid thinking about really large and very tiny things to often, it's not very healthy. Certainly after seeing what the majority of humanity does with its lives you can see yourself as being worth perhaps a bit more than a shit?[/QUOTE]

Why? I have accomplished nothing in life and intend to keep it that way. It's not so much that I want to do nothing as it is there is nothing I want to do. I'm not prone to healthy thoughts, which is why I try to limit my exposure to my own mind through constant bombardment. (books/games/movies/music)

On a side note I think I may be a bit ADD, because when reading I can better concentrate on the task at hand if I have something to distract me. (usually music)

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Why? I have accomplished nothing in life and intend to keep it that way. It's not so much that I want to do nothing as it is there is nothing I want to do. I'm not prone to healthy thoughts, which is why I try to limit my exposure to my own mind through constant bombardment. (books/games/movies/music)

On a side note I think I may be a bit ADD, because when reading I can better concentrate on the task at hand if I have something to distract me. (usually music)[/QUOTE]

My god how similar we are, it's rather spooky. But you forget one important point: what happens when you take a thousand alienated humans of reasonable intelligence and allow them to think for 50 years? You get a few really good ideas, besides I bet you get a bit more from that constant media bombardment than most people.;)

[quote name='zionoverfire']My god how similar we are, it's rather spooky. But you forget one important point: what happens when you take a thousand alienated humans of reasonable intelligence and allow them to think for 50 years? You get a few really good ideas, besides I bet you get a bit more from that constant media bombardment than most people.;)[/QUOTE]

:lol:

I can't imagine seeing 50. Hell, I can't even see myself making it to thirty. But I think that's ok. When you aren't looking forward to anything is hard to see how the future could possibly be different.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']:lol:

I can't imagine seeing 50. Hell, I can't even see myself making it to thirty. But I think that's ok. When you aren't looking forward to anything is hard to see how the future could possibly be different.[/QUOTE]

See this is what I get for speaking in general, people don't normally like to think that they won't at least reach 70.;)

So tell me what outside of videogames do you actually enjoy in this world and women made of plastic and computer editing don't count.

[quote name='zionoverfire']See this is what I get for speaking in general, people don't normally like to think that they won't at least reach 70.;)

So tell me what outside of videogames do you actually enjoy in this world and women made of plastic and computer editing don't count.[/QUOTE]

Besides books/games/movies/music? Not a whole lot. I guess you could add "Open discourse with like-minded individuals". I don't really do much else. I go to school, but for the most part I have no interest in the classes I take. I work, but that's just a paycheck. That's about it. :lol:

Also if you didn't notice, my list of interests are in alphabetical order. That was not unintentional. :oops:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Besides books/games/movies/music? Not a whole lot. I guess you could add "Open discourse with like-minded individuals". I don't really do much else. I go to school, but for the most part I have no interest in the classes I take. I work, but that's just a paycheck. That's about it. :lol:

Also if you didn't notice, my list of interests are in alphabetical order. That was not unintentional. :oops:[/QUOTE]

So pretty much the same damn shit I do but only in an anal retentive way, what in the world is your major anyhow?

[quote name='zionoverfire']So pretty much the same damn shit I do but only in an anal retentive way, what in the world is your major anyhow?[/QUOTE]

Information Technology. :cry:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Information Technology. :cry:[/QUOTE]

:rofl: You have all this potential and you choose that? My god you could have at least gone with philosophy, granted you'd never get a job but you'd probably be a hell of a lot happier.

[quote name='zionoverfire']:rofl: You have all this potential and you choose that? My god you could have at least gone with philosophy, granted you'd never get a job but you'd probably be a hell of a lot happier.[/QUOTE]

I started out as a straight CS major, because basically by the time I finished high school I was sick of everything else. :lol: I quickly decided that I didn't want to put that much effort into a lesser evil type situation. :lol:

You know I've never taken a philosophy class. There is one required for my degree, but it always fills up before I bother to enroll. It's "Foundations of Logic and Scientific Method" Which I think will be a bit too basic but possibly enjoyable.

I want to take some more psychology and maybe history classes for personal enjoyment, but they conflict with my 2 day a week schedules. :lol: :cry:

And this is why you get a major you actually care about, although I suppose I shouldn't talk seeing as outside of labwork I basically hate chemistry.

Well I'm off to sleep, I'll have to think about this more in the morning you're conclusion just seems a bit odd, perhaps a biology class or 2 might be fun for you.

[quote name='zionoverfire']And this is why you get a major you actually care about, although I suppose I shouldn't talk seeing as outside of labwork I basically hate chemistry.

Well I'm off to sleep, I'll have to think about this more in the morning you're conclusion just seems a bit odd, perhaps a biology class or 2 might be fun for you.[/QUOTE]

Yes well that would be more enjoyable but probably less useful.

Oh yeah, and I haven't taken biology since I was a sophomore in high school. And even that was a basic class. :lol: I do subscribe to Discover, so that helps somewhat. :lol:

Night, I'm off to bed myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back