Sharing - good or bad?

Psykodelik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I was checking out GFAQS today about Tekken DR and I noticed there was a topic about game sharing. I'm curious to hear what you think? People on that board have said it's good, bad, or just don't care.

I, personally don't care because it's not like it's an unlimited download (5 total).

Pro's
- in a sense it's cheaper (both or more people can split the difference on the price)
- is good when needed (reformatting, upgrading HDD etc)
- friends can also play the game or even "check it out" and decide if they want to buy it (assuming there's no demo)
- can be "traded" w/other downloadable games from the PSN store

Con's
- can make a small profit
- companies doesn't get other peoples' money (even if the game is good or bad)
- your account can get screwed over
- 5 downloads (for any of the above statements)

Again, I'm neutral about this and just curious to hear what people think about it.

EDIT: added some new stuff in bold, forgot to mention/clarify originally.

[quote name='Psykodelik']I was checking out GFAQS today about Tekken DR and I noticed there was a topic about game sharing. I'm curious to hear what you think? People on that board have said it's good, bad, or just don't care.

I, personally don't care because it's not like it's an unlimited download (5 total).

Pro's
- in a sense it's cheaper
- is good when needed (reformatting, upgrading HDD etc)
- friends can also play the game or even "check it out" and decide if they want to buy it

Con's
- can make a small profit
- companies doesn't get other peoples' money (even if the game is good or bad)
- your account can get screwed over
- 5 downloads (for any of the above statements)

Again, I'm neutral about this and just curious to hear what people think about it.[/quote]

I don't know too much about the ps3. Whats this game sharing? Is it like teh Zunes music sharing thing?

Person A buys a game from the PStore (downloable). Once a game is bought you have up to 5 re-downloads and then you have to re-buy. Now person B wants to get the same game but doesn't want to pay the full price, tries it out (if no demo), etc. Then person A can give person B his/her login & pass to download it on person B's ps3. They keep the game as long as they want until they delete it or person A's login.

It goes both ways, and I think Sony weighed things before deciding on five downloads. If trading gets out of hand, or more companies complain, they could easily say that they don't think people will ever need 5 downloads and maybe bump it down to 3 or so.

Man, so that's how PS3's content protection is? As much as I hate to bring it up, that sounds like a terrible way to handle to content ownership in light of Microsoft's Gamertag account solution (or Valve's solution with Steam). It seems to me that Sony's solution is a bit archaic - your paying for downloads and not games. Granted, the 360 and Steam kind of require you to be online, but I think as we move forward maintaining storage mediums is going to be much more complicated than maintaining an Internet connection.

... Or is this just for a sharing feature in Tekken DR?

[quote name='CokeCola']
... Or is this just for a sharing feature in Tekken DR?[/quote]

How can you own a PS3 and not know how the online downloading system works?

Um... it didn't tell me how the online downloading system works, and I haven't read about it externally?

I bought a game, downloaded it, and it worked. I am now unconcerned until I must reinstall it.

bread's done
Back