Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='guardian_owl']11:52 AM - Terraria goes live for $2.50
05:16 PM - Terraria goes up to $5
so a little under 5 and a half hours.[/QUOTE]
I read through the post on the official forums and it looks like only one of the developers (the sprite artist) was there to handle the mistake. So I'm assuming it's harder then we think for one person to straighten everything out.

Besides the game came out barely over a month ago and it's full of content with free content updates. $10 is more then a fair price for it and we're lucky to have even had it on sale at all. Not to mention they didn't want it up at $2.50 since it just came out. Also im assuming valve had to reinburse them because it was their mistake and i don't think valve would want to spend more money just to keep the sale at %75. Just because other people missed took advantage of a mistake does not mean you are entitled to that price too.

[quote name='jimbodan']They should have left it at 75% off regardless[/QUOTE]

Who are you to say that? Stop crying because you missed out on saving $2.50. They work hard to support the game and in today's industry where it's expensive as fuck to make games, they deserve every extra two fucking fifty dollars they get.

EDIT: I have a RIFT Standard edition key that I don't want (game key, not Steam key). Anyone have anything of equal value (I guess $10) that they want to trade for it?

not to derail things, but anyone pick up mlb 2k11? i'm thinking about it. i got 2k10 last year when gamestop had it on sale for ~$3 on opening day, but couldn't get past the bugs. now that they've (supposedly) patched most of them out, i can't seem to redownload it from gs :/ i want to play some kind of sports game and at this point i'm trying to decide between picking this up now and holding out for nba 2k11 to go on sale. advice?

What are some predictions for the Thanksgiving or Winter sales later this year?
hopefully less repeats, except stuff like the Splinter Cell collection for cheaper, etc.

[quote name='martyback']Who are you to say that? Stop crying because you missed out on saving $2.50. They work hard to support the game and in today's industry where it's expensive as fuck to make games, they deserve every extra two fucking fifty dollars they get.

EDIT: I have a RIFT Standard edition key that I don't want (game key, not Steam key). Anyone have anything of equal value (I guess $10) that they want to trade for it?[/QUOTE]

Piss off. Who are you to tell me what to think?

I didn't even really want the game, I hate Minecraft and I'd probably hate Terrarria but for 1.88$ each for a 4 pack I'd have given it a go on a whim, so I'm not crying because I missed it, I had very little interest.

[quote name='Wolfmight']What are some predictions for the Thanksgiving or Winter sales later this year?
hopefully less repeats, except stuff like the Splinter Cell collection for cheaper, etc.[/QUOTE]
As far as i know there are usualy a few repeats, hopefully they'll have some indie bundles in the next sale. And king's bounty and frozen synapse again, im still mad i missed those sales haha.

Agreed. It's not worth the bad price, and they honestly would have made more money. When the price increased by $2.50, a lot of people stopped buying it.

edit: I meant bad PRESS. Freudian slip?

[quote name='Vegan']Agreed. It's not worth the bad price, and they honestly would have made more money. When the price increased by $2.50, a lot of people stopped buying it.[/QUOTE]

They would have made a lot more money if steam hadn't fucked up the price in the first place. Tons of people would have bought this at 50% off if that was the only option.

I wonder if steam covers the losses for their mistake (they should), or if they make the dev take the hit...

[quote name='RollingSkull']Terraria still isn't even worth $2.50[/QUOTE]

So not true.

[quote name='sp8001']They would have made a lot more money if steam hadn't fucked up the price in the first place. Tons of people would have bought this at 50% off if that was the only option.

I wonder if steam recovers the losses for their mistake (they should), or if they make the dev take the hit...[/QUOTE]

The people who want it will still buy it, either for 5 now, or 2.50 later. It's really popular.

And yeah, I would expect Steam to be the ones paying for it, so it's common sense they'd take it off.

[quote name='Pheace']So not true, it's a great game.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I didn't like it either, but the game seems to be have a huge love/hate aspect to it. I am definitely not going to fault people who think it's good, but it's just not my thing.

[quote name='Vegan']Agreed. It's not worth the bad price, and they honestly would have made more money. When the price increased by $2.50, a lot of people stopped buying it.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it hurt their profits. The game was still a bestseller on the recap day of the sale when it was $5 the entire day, and it is still a bestseller now at $10. The game seems to sell well at any price point, and I don't know if there are enough cheap people who passed on the game because of $2.50.

It would have been an interesting experiment to have left it at 75% for the first day and then raised it to 50% off the next day when the daily deals reset and see which day made more money.

[quote name='houdinilogic']not to derail things, but anyone pick up mlb 2k11? i'm thinking about it. i got 2k10 last year when gamestop had it on sale for ~$3 on opening day, but couldn't get past the bugs. now that they've (supposedly) patched most of them out, i can't seem to redownload it from gs :/ i want to play some kind of sports game and at this point i'm trying to decide between picking this up now and holding out for nba 2k11 to go on sale. advice?[/QUOTE]

Curious about that myself, we are only half way through the season and it is $10? Jeez. I have a hard time believing I won't be able to get that much fun out of it.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Terraria still isn't even worth $2.50[/QUOTE]

You just have bad taste then bro. Terraria easily has more content than most big budget "AAA" 6 hour titles out there, I've seen people easily surpass hundreds +100 hours in this game, without all the new content they added recently mind you. I never agreed with the price, $10 is way too damn low, if anything it should be 29.99

Eh, couldn't help myself. Impulse bought MLB 2k11, mind you I am a HUGE baseball fan...and played 2k10 like 40 or 50 hours atleast.

At this same time last year I got a great SALE on MLB 2k10 when I bought it for $37.99 lol.

EDIT: If anyone buys it, add me on steam user is same as CAG. I will play online games every now and again if someone wanted.

[quote name='Protein214']You just have bad taste then bro. Terraria easily has more content than most big budget "AAA" 6 hour titles out there, I've seen people easily surpass hundreds +100 hours in this game, without all the new content they added recently mind you. I never agreed with the price, $10 is way too damn low, if anything it should be 29.99[/QUOTE]

Anyone can put 100+ hours in a tedious, simple with randomly generated terrain, precious little real content, and even less quality gameplay.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Anyone can put 100+ hours in a tedious, simple with randomly generated terrain, precious little real content, and even less quality gameplay.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I don't know much about Terraria, but I do know that people putting 100+ hours into it does not necessarily mean it is great. In addition, it does not mean there is a ton of content, but more people are willing to deal with some hardcore repetition.

Again, I don't know much about the game but claiming that it should have been 29.99 when it has Atari graphics? I think that may be a large exaggeration.

However, it may very well be worth its low price, that I can't attest to.

Atari graphics? I'm guessing you're very young...

Anyways, I would think if you spend 100 hours playing a game that goes a long way to making it "great". You may not like the game, but anyone who spends that much time on it clearly does. I've probably spent at least 100 hours of my life playing Contra; it's a very short game that can be completed in 20 minutes with enough practice. Yet despite the lack of content, it's still considered one of the greatest games of the NES era.

Crud. Just remember, and confirmed, that I'd bought the Mothership Zeta DLC for Fallout 3 back in May when it was on sale; so between the hard copies, I already had all of the FO3 GOTY content. Drat. Oh well, I can still maybe sell the DLC discs. This is what sucks about having too many digital purchase options.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Anyone can put 100+ hours in a tedious, simple with randomly generated terrain, precious little real content, and even less quality gameplay.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Just looking at the game, it looks like there's too much resource harvesting and crafting for my taste. It's a game for people who like to mod, grind, craft, and loot. I don't particularly care for any of those if there isn't a game with some real substance to go along with those things. How did it score an 84 at metacritic? Don't JRPG's get trashed if you have to excessively grind to continue your exploration?

Atari graphics? I'm guessing you're very young...

Anyways, I would think if you spend 100 hours playing a game that goes a long way to making it "great". You may not like the game, but anyone who spends that much time on it clearly does. I've probably spent at least 100 hours of my life playing Contra; it's a very short game that can be completed in 20 minutes with enough practice. Yet despite the lack of content, it's still considered one of the greatest games of the NES era.

Yup, they're fools that don't know the meaning of PR

You take a hit on the game that's selling like gangbusters and you explain that "oh we never planned for it to sell for 75% off but you guys scooped it up so quickly that we decided to let it slide"

They would have gotten a ton of good karma off of it and they could parlay that into people saying "remember when they left Terreria at 75% off? This ENTER WHATEVER GAME OR DLC HERE is something I'm paying full price for to support a good dev.

Instead they took the shady way out and caused a lot of ill will towards their games and studio

They'll learn one day

[quote name='Protein214']You just have bad taste then bro. Terraria easily has more content than most big budget "AAA" 6 hour titles out there, I've seen people easily surpass hundreds +100 hours in this game, without all the new content they added recently mind you. I never agreed with the price, $10 is way too damn low, if anything it should be 29.99[/QUOTE]

Who are you to judge taste? If someone is contrary to you they just have bad taste? That is ridiculous and pointless.

As Valve takes a percentage after transaction fees, not a flat rate fee, I suspect they made WAY more money at $2.50 than $5.00. The buzz at $2.50 was insane.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']So there's literally no one playing BFBC2 Vietnam? The fuck did I buy this shit for?[/QUOTE]

Ugh...I was kind of hoping the sale would increase the number of players for Vietnam. I personally like Vietnam more than vanilla BC2 but no one ever seems to play it.

[quote name='gcorlett']As Valve takes a percentage after transaction fees, not a flat rate fee, I suspect they made WAY more money at $2.50 than $5.00. The buzz at $2.50 was insane.[/QUOTE]

I hope next durring the xmas sale they sell it for 1.25 then jack up the price to 2.50 just so I can see all the folks rage over how much of a rip off the 2.50 is.

[quote name='rct316']wow i cant believe people are putting up a fuss over 2.50$. i mean its 10 quarters?!?! you can find them lying around the house[/QUOTE]
Put your hands up, the conversation is going over your head.

It's not about price, it's the fact that they could have come out of this with a PR push that costs companies hundreds of thousands of dollars and instead they put a black mark on themselves that's going to linger for years of sales.

Doubling the price isn't the real issue (even though I find it laughable how people will gladly pay for everything in life after they find out it's double. "Oh is that house 250k? I'll buy it? Oh now it's half a mil? Let me get the checkbook").

The issue is that they were lobbed a public relations softball and whiffed.

[quote name='rct316']wow i cant believe people are putting up a fuss over 2.50$. i mean its 10 quarters?!?! you can find them lying around the house[/QUOTE]
I wish to see this magical land of quarters from which you hail.

I kid, I didn't buy the game, not at 2.50 and certainly not at 5.00. I watched a Let's Play of the game, and it isn't worth it to buy and play through the game itself. Seems like too little replay value.

Beat Alpha Protocol last night and I have to say, it was actually really great. Sure I didn't really use stealth at all and beat it with maxed shotgun and pistol skills ... but it was damn entertaining while it lasted and i don't recall any major bugs. So yeah ... those of you who said to pass for $5 during the sale ... I feel sorry for you because the game was majorly underrated imo.

AP is pretty good. I can't stand its fanbase though. I have to grit my teeth when I recommend it as a result.

Can't see myself playing it again though.

[quote name='doodofdoods']How did it score an 84 at metacritic? Don't JRPG's get trashed if you have to excessively grind to continue your exploration?[/QUOTE]
Game reviewers can be just as hipster as the average forum poster, willing to pad an indie game up for whatever ego related reason.

Alternately, maybe some of them DID get sucked into the boredom of the whole thing and found something to like in how boring it is.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Put your hands up, the conversation is going over your head.

Doubling the price isn't the real issue (even though I find it laughable how people will gladly pay for everything in life after they find out it's double. "Oh is that house 250k? I'll buy it? Oh now it's half a mil? Let me get the checkbook").
[/QUOTE]

lol did you really just compare 250k/500k$ to 2.5/5$?
thats like comparing 1/2 steps with 5/10miles, see the difference.

trust me i understand what your trying to say but again its only 2.5/5$. but really, i mean if you want the game, buy it. if not dont.

Are we still discussing the Terraria mistake? Look, the developers said it was Steam's fault. It's not false advertising because they just changed the price. There was an ad for 75% off, then 50% off. Those of you who didn't get in on the 75% deal, put some man-pants on and get over it. You'd swear someone stole a presidential election with how much people are complaining.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Put your hands up, the conversation is going over your head.

It's not about price, it's the fact that they could have come out of this with a PR push that costs companies hundreds of thousands of dollars and instead they put a black mark on themselves that's going to linger for years of sales.

The issue is that they were lobbed a public relations softball and whiffed.[/QUOTE]

A black mark that will linger for years of sales? In the grand scheme of things, no one is going to give a shit by the end of next week much less by the time the next big sale rolls around. I'm not saying they were right, but they are a company out to make money, you can't be too surprised either.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Game reviewers can be just as hipster as the average forum poster, willing to pad an indie game up for whatever ego related reason.

Alternately, maybe some of them DID get sucked into the boredom of the whole thing and found something to like in how boring it is.[/QUOTE]

Care to change your ID to "HolierThanThou"? People like Terraria, you don't. Don't be a dick about their like and your dislike.

[quote name='etcrane']Beat Alpha Protocol last night and I have to say, it was actually really great. Sure I didn't really use stealth at all and beat it with maxed shotgun and pistol skills ... but it was damn entertaining while it lasted and i don't recall any major bugs. So yeah ... those of you who said to pass for $5 during the sale ... I feel sorry for you because the game was majorly underrated imo.[/QUOTE]
Yea i enjoyed the game aswell, if you take it with a grain of salt and enjoy it for what it is it's actualy a pretty ok game. I actualy laughed at some parts too which doesn't happen often.

And for everyone arguing if Terraria is good or not, it's an opinion. If you've played it and don't like it then that's great and there's nothing wrong with that. If you've played it and loved then that's also great. If you havn't played it and you keep posting "I havn't played it but it's reptetive and boring and the developers are greedy" just stop, you havn't played the game so you don't know enough about the game to tell others wether it's good or it's bad. If you havn't played the game keep your opinions to your self and stop being a jerk.

In the case of the pricing mistake the developers posted on the official forums apologizing and explaining what happend. They are a indie development company, they make money off of the work they put into their games. Be happy it even went on sale because it was just released about a month ago. Stop complaining that you missed a deal because you waited, everyone know's the risk that the deal could be gone if you wait. In fact no one is entitled to the error price so plase just forget about and stop complaining.

^^^ You guys are acting like the devs demanded the price change... It was steams mistake, so they fixed it. Simple as that.

It wasn't some sort of PR tactic or anything.

If you missed the deal, bummer. No need to feel butthurt tho.

And about it being good or not, everyone has wildly different tastes. Some will eat this game up, others will hate it. At under $2 I decided to check it out. I am also a big fan of devs that support their game post release for free, so just 1 more reason I decided to buy it. Indie devs are WAY better about doing that then most AAA companies. They nickel and dime you for EVERYTHING!

[quote name='sp8001']^^^ You guys are acting like the devs demanded the price change... It was steams mistake, so they fixed it. Simple as that.

It wasn't some sort of PR tactic or anything.

If you missed the deal, bummer. No need to feel butthurt tho.[/QUOTE]

I think we were all talking about Steam here, but you are right it was a mistake and they fixed it. Life goes on.

[quote name='jab1235']They are a indie development company, they make money off of the work they put into their games. [/QUOTE]
As opposed to non-indie devs who don't make any money on their games and just make it back through merchandising.

VALVE HAS BEEN TAINTED FOREVER!@!!! i'll nevr buy a game from them again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are dipshits.

The deal's dead, why hasn't this melodrama been moved to the graveyard yet?

[quote name='RollingSkull']As opposed to non-indie devs who don't make any money on their games and just make it back through merchandising.[/QUOTE]
They have whole teams working on their games for years, terraria was built buy 1 coder, 2 artists (1 or 2 i forgot), and 1 composer.

Besides games like call of duty are charging for extra map packs, mw2 gave you 5 maps for $15, 2 in each pack were from previous games and 3 were new. So in essence you were paying to play maps that you bought in the last game as well as a couple new maps. That doesn't really seem like hard work. There were only 2 or 3 patches witch didn't really balance the game they only fixed major bugs as far as i know.

Indie games like terraria are supporting there games with bug fixes, balancing and extra content for free. It seems like they are putting in more work to prove that their game is worth the purchace instead of milking their fanbase.

Why do you make me want to argue about video games haha;) and what makes you hate terraria so much, have you played it yet?

[quote name='RollingSkull']As opposed to non-indie devs who don't make any money on their games and just make it back through merchandising.[/QUOTE]

That merch money doesn't hurt though, amirite??

pokemon_toys01.jpg

[quote name='supershammy']
The deal's dead, why hasn't this melodrama been moved to the graveyard yet?[/QUOTE]

^^^ This.

This thread is getting too big. CAG has been running delayed lately... I've seen a ton of double posts. I think this thread might be the culprit.

We should close this monster and start fresh.

Prince of Persia Collection looks really dated to me.
Now I'm tempted to get the Remastered Trilogy on the PS3 or something, though I'll lose Prince of Persia 2008 and Forgotten Sands, any suggestions?

Does Hitman: Blood Money look dated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back