Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
D was onto something though, and that's how the quality of Disney movies suffered a nose dive just before the turn of the century.  

Look at all of that forgettable stuff, many things which we have never seen or even heard of, around the start of the millennium:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_theatrical_animated_features

It was Pixar that kept the relevant titles coming, as you can see in that list.  I'm sure that Disney struggled in the beginning of the digital age, and with the hand-drawn to digital conversion that was happening around then.   But from the non-Pixar titles offered you can see that they were struggling with inspiration and conceptualization issues as well.

In recent years, Disney has rekindled some of that magic in their animated feature films again. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That said I don't think you'll see a great looking female. Massive seems apposed to it. They really took an ugly stick to Faye Lau character model if you look at at the voice actresses. (She was on Dark Matter and is currently on the Rookie.)

Hopefully its better than the first one as it seemed like everyone used the same face for their female characters.
Because she was the only face that didn't look like it has been beaten with an ugly stick. I ain't looking for "sexy glamor princess" but maybe someone who looks as though they didn't just climb out of a hole under an Appalachian meth lab would be nice. Like I said, it's doubly weird because there's a number of normal looking female NPCs around the world but the PC creation default is "Drug Goblin".

D was onto something though, and that's how the quality of Disney movies suffered a nose dive just before the turn of the century.

Look at all of that forgettable stuff, many things which we have never seen or even heard of, around the start of the millennium: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_theatrical_animated_features
It was rough going between 2002 (Lilo & Stitch) and 2010 (Tangled) for actual Walt Disney films (i.e. not Pixar). Since then you had Tangled, Brave, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Moana, etc. Before that you had Mulan as late as 1998. That said, I'm not a Disney devotee by any measure so I'm just going off what I recognize as recognizable and not a flop (Treasure Island, Atlantis, various farmyard animal hijinx flicks).

It was rough going between 2002 (Lilo & Stitch) and 2010 (Tangled) for actual Walt Disney films (i.e. not Pixar). Since then you had Tangled, Brave, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Moana, etc. Before that you had Mulan as late as 1998. That said, I'm not a Disney devotee by any measure so I'm just going off what I recognize as recognizable and not a flop (Treasure Island, Atlantis, various farmyard animal hijinx flicks).
The 'Walt Disney Animation Studios' feature films that have come out since 2012 took an incredible leap forward in regards to quality and have been massive hits:

-Wreck-It Ralph

-Frozen

-Big Hero 6

-Zootopia

-Moana

-Ralph Breaks the Internet.

If anything, Disney's been middling for years.
If you didn't feel that the last 15-20 minutes of Rogue One was the best Star Wars... then I'm not sure about your Star Wars qualifications. Vader finally did something that showed why he was VADER. Up til that point him and Alec Guinness' lightsaber was... eh at best. But I'm also a fan who didn't particularly care for ESB (I know, I know).

Also,

Every Marvel Movie (Avengers +)

Frozen

Moana

Misc Pixar films.

Their live action is shit (Wrinkle in Time especially).

[FYI, ROTJ, RO, ANH, ESB, III, II, Solo, I]

But even if you dont count that (and you should) if you're going back to "The Lion King" you're missing out on (just from the 2000's) "Cars", "Ratatouille", "The Princess and the Frog", "Wreck-it-Ralph", "Moana" and the perhaps the biggest kiddie-cultural icon of this decade "Frozen".
You're missing Brave. It's up there with Moana. And I guess, Big Hero 6.

What would make it "new" and still maintain the flavor of the franchise?
Good question. The only thing they really added was “specialization” which from what I played was not even fun or impactful. The “dungeon” ENDGAME was just higher level enemies in the low level intro dungeon. Hoping the demo was just lacking and the full game is better.

I mean farcry has been the same for 4 games now, yet those are sequels, same thing just in a new setting with a coat of paint on the weapons and enemies. Div2 would appear to me to be as much of a sequel as any other, changing the whole location while maintaining the same gameplay still looks like a sequel to me

I mean farcry has been the same for 4 games now, yet those are sequels, same thing just in a new setting with a coat of paint on the weapons and enemies. Div2 would appear to me to be as much of a sequel as any other, changing the whole location while maintaining the same gameplay still looks like a sequel to me
It is a sequel but Ubi said they had the largest team working on a game for them...the beta didn’t display this huge teams work.

I'd go one movie later and earlier with Treasure Planet (2002) and The Princess and the Frog (2009). Between those, yeah, not a great run. I'd blame that rough run on Disney doing computer animation that looked nothing like typical animation that all came across a bit like Pixar-lite, but Brother Bear (2003) and Home on the Range (2004) were in a traditional style and were forgettable. The style of the following few movies may have been a reaction to response to those two versus the response to their Pixar contemporaries.

If you didn't feel that the last 15-20 minutes of Rogue One was the best Star Wars... then I'm not sure about your Star Wars qualifications. Vader finally did something that showed why he was VADER. Up til that point him and Alec Guinness' lightsaber was... eh at best. But I'm also a fan who didn't particularly care for ESB (I know, I know).
Taken on its own, yeah, you could make that argument. Probably better than any 15-20 minute stretch of the originals. Perhaps Revenge of the Sith once Order 66 is given can compare. But even beyond that 15-20 minutes Rogue One was excellent. It stands well with some of the greatest examples of suicide mission stories from (mostly) westerns.

RANDOM RESPONSES:

I'm the guy who liked Rogue One. It fit the story, but it was a bummer that all of the (um, spoiler alert? I think if you haven't seen it by now. . . .) main characters are massacred at the end.

Solo was very meh.

I also liked The Last Jedi. Except for the Leia swimming through space part. That's stupid no matter how many times I see it. Also, if you didn't tear up just a little when Luke and Leia met each other on Hoth (I mean, whatever the salt planet was called), you have no heart.

I didn't care about Big Hero 6, Frozen, Cars, or Ratatouille. I should get around to watching Moana one of these days. Wreck-It Ralph was okay, but it wasn't exactly Toy Story.

The reason there haven't been any good Pirates movies is that they didn't need to make any more after the first one. They should have looked at it and said, "Gore, you did a fine piece of directing there. Johnny, you seem batsh*t-crazy as ever, and that's just great. Go be weird in another movie, maybe something Harry Potter-related."

The Beauty and the Beast live-action movie was actually okay, but the idea that you can make live-action characters seem less real than animated ones really says everything there is to say about how superfluous all of this is. It can't be that hard to come up with new ideas for movies to throw money at. If nothing else, there are still a crapton of books out there. How about a GOOD production of The Martian Chronicles? The Moon is a Harsh Mistress? Robert Asprin's Myth series? Zelazny's Jack of Shadows? What the hell, a remake of The 27th Day? Graphic-novel adaptations are all the rage, so how about Revival (I know that one's way too "adult" for Disney, but still)?

Also, I have no opinion about The Division 1, 1.5, or 2.

giphy.gif
Heh, first thing I thought of too. Damn you Warreni for getting this song stuck in my head.

That's my thinking. Not sure what people think a sequel should be.

Haha... this brings me great joy for some reason.
Except when you remember how useless Steam pre-loading is because it takes longer to unpack or whatever once the game releases than to just start your download then.

No on character creation but it seems a bigger selection is available based upon hitting new character. (All of the characters in the beta are random.)

I'm honestly not understanding the 1.5 comparisons. It doesn't play the same, need to use cover, less healing is available, issues with movement have been dealt with, new skills, skills don't happen as often, and the biggest thing is a new map (which is bigger with more playable space), and all new missions. Even the side activities have changed. Story, we are going to disagree but I didn't and still don't feel like the story has ever taken a back seat in the game(s).

I see a sequel that sticks very close to what made the original compelling while moving on from what didn't really work.
I guess we will have differentiating opinions on it, movement is still easily exploited as the 1st one, the new skills are just lacking, when some of those same skills from last game have gotten worse in this one and some of them are pretty much useless.I guess on Story is debatable if you feel there is enough or has one. The UI is garbage especially on PC and there is other issues I wont go over since this is just a rant.

Rogue One and Solo were both better than episode 7 and episode 8. Episode 7 was alright, but episode 8 is down there with #2. It just wasnt a very good movie.

Judging from my kids Disney has had a lot of good titles recently. Frozen and Moana were constantly on our tv for a week or two after we bought them. I am probably mixing up pixar and Disney but Inside Out and Coco were both really good animated films too.

Rogue One and Solo were both better than episode 7 and episode 8. Episode 7 was alright, but episode 8 is down there with #2. It just wasnt a very good movie.

Judging from my kids Disney has had a lot of good titles recently. Frozen and Moana were constantly on our tv for a week or two after we bought them. I am probably mixing up pixar and Disney but Inside Out and Coco were both really good animated films too.
Coco's another one I need to get around to watching.

I thought Inside Out was one of the weaker recent efforts; wasn't it a Pixar film? The whole conceit made very little sense.

In fairness, "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" lasted for more seasons/episodes than "Mork and Mindy", which was on *before* cable. (Robin's clearly the better stand up comedian of course).

SNIP 1: Disney owns Marvel. I'd say they've been pretty relevant from Avengers (2012) to Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018).

SNIP 2: Though it was a joint venture with Sony, Marvel (i.e. Disney), just put out "Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse" which has been widely seen as fantastic (Golden Globe winner, Best Animated Feature).

But even if you dont count that (and you should) if you're going back to "The Lion King" you're missing out on (just from the 2000's) "Cars", "Ratatouille", "The Princess and the Frog", "Wreck-it-Ralph", "Moana" and the perhaps the biggest kiddie-cultural icon of this decade "Frozen".

Yeah, they've had some winners!
I still think Frozen is the most overrated Disney movie of the past few decades. It was alright, mind you, but people went completely nuts over it. I really don’t understand the hubbub.

They took Star Wars IP, but they still haven't topped the original 3 Lucas films (A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi). Ep 8 was more or less using A New Hope as a template; Ep 9 almost ruined the flick w/ a pointlessly grumpy Luke (seemed so out of character for him and their explanation/reason was predictable, foolish, and did not go deep enough); Solo and Rogue One also still weren't close to the level of the original 3 Lucas flicks.
I actually liked the Solo movie a lot more than most people seem to have and Rogue One was quite enjoyable. I agree that the main series sequels were nothing special and what they did with Luke was absolute garbage. I'll admit though, that growing up with the originals definitely makes it harder to love anything since. I can at least understand folks that were born around/after the Prequels came out liking the new movies better than I do. Although they could make one hundred Star Wars movies and not top The Empire Strikes Back.
bE1p5KL.gif

TLJ is a baffling misfire. It disregards the character development of previous entries under the guise of subverting expectations, but the movie just ends up aping the best parts of Empire and Jedi while going in a circle. I am a big fan of Rian Johnson's other works, but he really shit the bed with the TLJ script and apparently nobody told him so (other than Mark Hamill whom was told to zip it and just do his job). At the end of TLJ there is no hook or interesting plotline to lead into the next one, other than Kylo being an unhinged lunatic and now Supreme Leader. RedLetterMedia said it best, that the end of TLJ feels like a Saturday morning cartoon. "The heroes survive to live another day."

I really enjoyed TFA when it came out but in retrospect can see how its setup with the First Order and Resistance (rehash of Empire vs. Rebellion) was fairly uninspired. So, I can appreciate that Rian Johnson wanted to shake the saga out of what he found to be limiting, but he failed terribly and lost himself in a quest to unmake SW. TFA was a great reintroduction to the SW galaxy and did a wonderful job setting up the new characters. It's a shame TLJ just completely wasted that opportunity. It turned Luke Skywalker into a coward who did something out of character, with little to no justification, then ran away from his friends and responsibility. Hermit Luke was a great idea - in TFA Han suggests that "those who knew him best thought he went searching for the first Jedi Temple." That line implied Luke was looking for answers, still having a sense of purpose - nope, nevermind. He's just an asshole with a death wish.

Even so, Finn probably got the worst deal in TLJ. During TFA he goes from a wide-eyed rube who's crushing on Rey, but still has his heart in the right place, to a guy who finds a purpose and a family in the Resistance. Nope, nevermind, Finn wakes up in TLJ and wants to desert everyone so that Rey isn't there when they get blown up. All it would have taken is a single dialogue change ("I'm going to find Rey and help her bring Skywalker back here to save us") to rectify this. But hey, in the final battle he might get to do something heroic by sacrificing himself to save his new friends - nope, nevermind.

Rey finds a father figure in Han during TFA. She sees Kylo murder him in cold blood. By the middle of TLJ, just days after the previous events, she suddenly thinks Kylo isn't such a bad guy and can be turned back. But hey, she might actually team up with him as neither Jedi nor Sith, just two force users who are rejecting the shackles of the past - nope, nevermind. Rey doesn't like Kylo much anymore.

It's a running theme with TLJ that the broader ideas are interesting (to show Kylo and Rey both isolated from people they want to teach them) but the execution is horrible. Johnson teeters on the edge of actually doing something bold then pulls back each time. Plus it's all wrapped up in the most boring chase/standoff imaginable.

TLJ reenactment:
rHL2U0E.gif

Rogue One is fine - the first two thirds are a slog and the character development is pretty thin, but the climax is exciting. Fan service or not, that Vader scene is fantastic.

Solo was better than it had a right to be. At its worst the movie is an unnecessary checklist of explaining things that don't need explaining (this is why Han calls Chewbacca Chewie! This is why his name is Solo!), but it's still a fun romp and benefits from being a smaller scale story that doesn't revolve directly around giant superweapons.

Rankings:

• Empire - it's easily the best
  • Jedi - my personal favorite; while it could have been better, it has the [customspoiler=highest highs]
    m6150vc.gif
    C0Kvf7K.gif
    Zvr2G7m.gif
    Mtvkliw.gif
    P1DSUtg.gif
    [/customspoiler]
  • A New Hope
  • The Force Awakens
  • Rogue One
  • Solo
  • The Phantom Menace - despite the flaws and goofiness, it feels more consistent than the other two prequels
  • Revenge of the Sith - most entertaining prequel but some really bad writing
  • The Last Jedi - close call, but I'll give TLJ the edge for being well-acted, well-shot, and generally well-made
  • Attack of the Clones
Shout-outs to An Ewok Adventure and Ewoks: The Battle for Endor.

Nothing will reach the greatness of the OT, which is why those movies will be remade (or re-imagined, with some different character and plot arcs) within the next 10-15 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if JJ's Episode IX sets up some kind of Force echo parallel universe thing a la his Star Trek reboot. That way the stage is set for a future reboot of the OT without actually changing/wiping it from the Official Star Wars canon.

(How's that for a MysterD style wall of text? :p )

TLJ is a baffling misfire. It disregards the character development of previous entries under the guise of subverting expectations, but the movie just ends up aping the best parts of Empire and Jedi while going in a circle. I am a big fan of Rian Johnson's other works, but he really shit the bed with the TLJ script and apparently nobody told him so (other than Mark Hamill whom was told to zip it and just do his job). At the end of TLJ there is no hook or interesting plotline to lead into the next one, other than Kylo being an unhinged lunatic and now Supreme Leader.
It's amazing how many people don't get that. TLJ could cease to exist and we wouldn't have missed anything.

Nothing of consequence happens. Instead of further developing the new slew of characters we go back to the OT for yet another greatest hits album. In attempting to be something different, instead TLJ plays it completely safe.

It was so caught up in the conceit of its own subversion.

In fairness, "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" lasted for more seasons/episodes than "Mork and Mindy", which was on *before* cable. (Robin's clearly the better stand up comedian of course).

SNIP 1: Disney owns Marvel. I'd say they've been pretty relevant from Avengers (2012) to Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018).

SNIP 2: Though it was a joint venture with Sony, Marvel (i.e. Disney), just put out "Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse" which has been widely seen as fantastic (Golden Globe winner, Best Animated Feature).

Yeah, they've had some winners!
Fair enough on Marvel. I'll give Disney that one, for sure - the Marvel franchises been cranking out winners for a while. Ant-Man, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Captain America, Avengers movies were good. In particular, the last Avengers movie and especially Black Panther were great.

"Cars" was disappointing, IMHO.

I actually liked the Solo movie a lot more than most people seem to have and Rogue One was quite enjoyable. I agree that the main series sequels were nothing special and what they did with Luke was absolute garbage. I'll admit though, that growing up with the originals definitely makes it harder to love anything since. I can at least understand folks that were born around/after the Prequels came out liking the new movies better than I do. Although they could make one hundred Star Wars movies and not top The Empire Strikes Back.

EA has wasted the SW license in the most ridiculous way imaginable. Star Wars has had so many games that were fantastic for their time and all we get are Battlefront games that look great but are inferior to the original Battlefronts in most respects. The best Star Wars games since Disney took over are the Pinball FX tables. EA is obsessed with making multiplayer games so unfortunately I do not expect anything good for a while. Especially since Disney recently said they were happy with what EA has done with the license. It must be SWTOR making decent coin on MTX because otherwise I have no clue how they say that. I have all but given up on getting a new game that is as fun as the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games or X-Wing and Tie Fighter games were.
Yes, I did like both Solo and Rogue One. Solid stuff. But still, nothing in that SW franchise has even come close to trying to top Episodes 4-6. I also don't think that is going to happen w/ anything topping E4-6, as those 3 were something special.

EA hasn't done crap w/ KOTOR, as we're still waiting on KOTOR3 from Obsidian or BioWare. I haven't touched SW:TOR MMO, so....can't speak on it.

Also, SW: Ragtag got cancelled - so, "meh" on that too.

EDIT:

Rogue One and Solo were both better than episode 7 and episode 8.
Agreed.

I can't argue that.

I think it FEELS much the same, but that's a feature and not a bug in my eyes. I don't want to play "Division: Skyrim Edition" or "Division: Dark Souls Edition", I want to play something that feels like a continuation of the first game. To some people, that's not going to feel like enough of a departure although, like you said, a lot of the actual components are changed up a good bit even if the overall sensation is much the same.
Well, there is a "Assassin's Creed: Dark Souls Edition..."

That would be AC: Origins.

It even runs like garbage at a console-like 30fps on my desktop at 1080p at mostly Normal settings, too.

Took me about 2 hours to get it to that even, finding some solid settings - as I was even seeing framerate hits to 1fps, 2fps, 10fps, 24fps, etc.

Haha... this brings me great joy for some reason.
To me, I would be fine if Metro: Exodus was being sold on all stores - Epic Store, Steam, GOG, and other places. Let gamers pick where they want to buy or play their PC game. That would be fine - as it could also allow for the digital stores and retailers to compete w/ each other for the best deal (if they want to also toss $5-10 coupons, gift cards, or whatever for buying Metro: Exodus).

My problem is: it's only one Epic Game Store now. For a bloody year.

I hate exclusive bullcrap. While I understand why they're doing it (that sweet 88/12 cut and who knows what other cash was tossed Deep Silver/Koch's way) - as a consumer, I don't like not having choice.

So, my choice was even more so made for me: wait until it gets dirt-cheap...which was probably the plan anyways. Especially for someone like me who's a very cheap CAG and has a ridiculous backlog anyways..

Speaking of SWTOR, is that any fun to run through solo? Do you need to pay to unlock stuff or else you're hampered throughout the campaign? Been interested in playing it for awhile but havent been wanting to get sucked into another mmo. If its worth it for the campaign alone though I would give it a shot.

You're missing Brave. It's up there with Moana. And I guess, Big Hero 6.
My list wasn't meant to be exhaustive. We own a bakery and do a lot of custom kids cakes. I was just naming some of movies that we've gotten requests for. Except Ratatouille, that just happens to be a favorite of my wife. Otherwise, I'd have been sure to name check other like "Finding Nemo", "The Incredibles" and "Up" among others.

And I make no judgement on "Frozen" as a movie; I've never seen it. I *heard* the whole thing while driving on a road trip; I've read 'Little Golden Books' versions of the story too. All I know, is *every* kid around my kids' current ages (8-10) at one point were into it. So good or not, it was definitely culturally relevant.

Sort-of on topic - the latest trends involve Marvel, Fortnite, and unicorns. Someone recently inquired about Smash Bros./ SMB Odyssey desserts.

bread's done
Back