Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
We both know that's not even remotely close to what happened. The work was done. EA changed it's mind, it was scratched and rebooted. That's not accomplishing nothing.
Read the article... Not once is EA the villain in this. Well, maybe the executive that forced Frostbite on everyone. Anthem problems were self inflicted by Bioware themselves as they sat at preproduction for far too long.

Read the article... Not once is EA the villain in this. Well, maybe the executive that forced Frostbite on everyone. Anthem problems were self inflicted by Bioware themselves as they sat at preproduction for far too long.
After ready all of his comments you're gonna argue with that guy. He's totally clueless save your time.

How many of you bought Nier or Cuphead??
Pretty sure there were a couple people here who bought Cuphead at launch or else Kickstarted it. I had no interest in it since it was a 2hard4u style game and I ain't got time for that. Nier was hobbled by being a crappy port. Even when it was 50% off and I mentioned thinking about buying it, people were warning me against it based on its technical issues.

After ready all of his comments you're gonna argue with that guy. He's totally clueless save your time.
Yeah, that Fox guy is an idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
And, yes, if Epic offered noticeably lower prices -- say $50 instead of $60 for new releases -- you would see people buy games there versus Steam. But it's not about the consumers, it's about the developers.
Its worse than that, it's not about the consumers or developers, it's about the publishers. Multiple devs have said they had no input on the decision to be exclusive to the Epic store. I would be surprised if much, or any, of that fat check the publisher gets goes to the devs. Yet its the devs that take most of the flak.
Its a pretty big stretch that a big check to a publisher for restricting consumer options on how to purchase a product is somehow pro consumer.

Are we talking about the same article? Because I'm talking about the Dragon Age article that's got MysterD pooping his load about Joplin and in it they clearly try to but the blame on EA and them wanting a game as a service and putting pressure on Bioware for all that. Sounds like you might be talking about the original Anthem article.

EA is painted in the article as the villain, as they (BioWare) had to incorporate Live Services into DA4, which caused them to scrap Joplin (original DA4 w/ no live service stuff, based off DA:I's framework/engine) and then work on Morrison (Live service DA4, based off of Anthem's engine/framework).

Frostbite is always going to be an issue. It's really built for Battlefield and any other DICE-style games w/ normal maps, not RPG's with inventories and huge seamless open-worlds (like DA:I and ME:A).

...MysterD pooping his load...
vhh9hP3.jpg

You do you. I have no idea who you are or why you blocked but I wish you well.
That's cool, I don't think any of us have any idea who you are, either.

Statistically speaking, I suppose toaster coprophilia had to be somebody's fetish, but I really didn't ever think I'd meet that person.

I'd ask to shake your hand, but on second thought I really don't want to.

Is the game any good? I only ever played Aladdin back in the day and loved that one.
The original NES game is beloved. A lot of that was the midi music themes and early-era metroidvania (with stage jumping; not one continuous world) and exploration-based gameplay. I'm not sure how the remastered version measures up though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amkR3F6yo44

click "transylvania" and "the moon". Ducktales had a soundtrack comparable to the early Megaman games. Some of the presentation and structure was also similar to Megaman to a lesser extent. They were both made by Capcom whom was a NES powerhouse.

Just a heads up: Ducktales Remastered is $1.64 (67% off) at Humble. No idea why they have the regular price set at $5 when everyone else is still at $15.
That game is pretty much always discounted to $4.94 (67% off) in Steam sales, so that definitely seems like an error. Or it's a bundle sacrifice trap, the game will be in the $1 tier of an upcoming Capcom HB, and we'll all hang our heads in shame.

Bought!

I liked the HD remaster a lot and it's a faithful version of the game, but the original is still the superior of the two IMO. It's nice hearing Alan Young lend his voice to Scrooge for one of the final times, but by the end of the game I was mostly tired of the story cutscenes, which are thankfully skippable but occur far too often regardless.

Honestly, I think that's because there haven't really been very many good big-budget PC games over the last two years. Certainly not many things that warrant anything close to resembling a full-price purchase. The vast majority of my GOTY candidates from '17 and '18 were all on consoles. Plus everyone knows not to pay full price or even 50% off for the Indie darlings because they often headline the Humble Monthlies. Even the number of noteworthy Indie titles has slowed down quite a bit. One of the biggest Indies from last year was Return of the Obra Dinn and that doesn't even really interest me at all. But the PC gamers I know, talk to, and discussions that I follow haven't been paying for things like Celeste, Into the Breach, The Messenger, Hades, Moonlighter, or Gris. A massive amount of people are even buying those types of Indie games on the Switch now! Nobody saw that magnitude of success coming from that system. Look how awesome Divinity II is, and how many people paid for that? How many of you bought Nier or Cuphead?? Everyone is in a wait and see approach. Fear of buyers remorse runs rampant because any game could become free at any given moment. Games like Fortnite and Apex Legends have risen to dominance in big part because they are free.
Celeste has sat on my wishlist because I am not sure it is my cup of tea even though people keep telling me how great it is. But I did buy Divinity II, Into the Breach, The Messenger, Moonlighter, Nier and Cuphead. We will not talk about how many I have actually managed to play for any real amount of time. I mean I never buy a game that is barely discounted and say "I'll play that in a year or so" but I see something shiny and forget about my lack of free time and backlog.

Although I also buy the games I want to see more of early on even if I don't expect to play them for a while. Like 3/4 of the shmups I have bought on Steam I already have on other platforms and who knows if/when I'll load them up on Steam but I just shrug and buy them anyway because it is a niche that I love and I want more of them released.

Celeste has sat on my wishlist because I am not sure it is my cup of tea even though people keep telling me how great it is. But I did buy Divinity II, Into the Breach, The Messenger, Moonlighter, Nier and Cuphead. We will not talk about how many I have actually managed to play for any real amount of time. I mean I never buy a game that is barely discounted and say "I'll play that in a year or so" but I see something shiny and forget about my lack of free time and backlog.

Although I also buy the games I want to see more of early on even if I don't expect to play them for a while. Like 3/4 of the shmups I have bought on Steam I already have on other platforms and who knows if/when I'll load them up on Steam but I just shrug and buy them anyway because it is a niche that I love and I want more of them released.
Good on you. We need more people who actually buy these games and support these devs/pubs. Or else PC will continue to be a second-class citizen in regards to game publishing.

I bought Celeste on PS4 through LRG because I wanted a physical copy and full ownership of one of 2018's top games. The soundtrack is really good. Quality music and composition in games is really important to me.

Been waiting for a good digital sale and/or a physical version for Cuphead.

I'm not sure why that even matters (or why you rush to that point every single time). The fact is that exclusivity is anti-competition...

[snip]

... but that doesn't change the immutable fact that what Epic is doing is not pro-consumer.
You seem to use the terms anti-competition and anti-consumer as if they mean the same thing. They don't. Though the terms may, at times, of course be related.

I don't think that what Epic is doing is pro-consumer, at least not by design. It may or may not be anti-consumer, but, again, not by design. By design, it's pro-Epic. It is, however, the only realistic way that Epic can actually compete with Steam. It is certainly pro-competition. Competition that isn't competitive isn't competition, and an Epic store and client without exclusives isn't competitive. (It could be that an Epic store and client with exclusives isn't actually competitive either.)

Can only speak for myself, but I’m not particularly fussed over Epic exclusives, since they aren’t games I’m interested in...[snip]
I am fussed over Epic exclusives, as I'd actually want some of those games. But I'm not going to buy them from Epic, however. Nor will I buy them elsewhere for the Epic client if Epic keys become a thing. I'll wait until I can get them on Steam. Epic having exclusives does impact me negatively, at least in the short run.

Also, I have bought items on Steam in the past year, both for me and for my son. (And a few things from other Stores, but most everything non-bundle was purchased from Steam directly.)

Anyone who read the article and saw that the writer didn't understand why anyone would be opposed to artificial scarcity and conflated store and client numerous times? I mean, all it takes is reading the linked article.
I'd say he understood that people wanted to use Steam and would rage against anything that might effect their ability to do so quite well.

And a world where the competition consists of either buying from Steam or buying elsewhere to redeem on Steam still leaves Steam with a massive amount of control over all publishers and consumers and does nothing to actually threaten Steam's comfortable position.

Just a heads up: Ducktales Remastered is $1.64 (67% off) at Humble. No idea why they have the regular price set at $5 when everyone else is still at $15.
Awesome. That's been on my wishlist for ages. I loved the original back in the day. (Or more recently the last time I tried it out in an emulator, which I guess would still be back in the day, just not as far back.)

Epic keys have been a thing from a long time ago, I remember getting some Paragon stuff and also there was a humble bundle that also gave you an Epic key for Shadow Complex Remastered.

Because I know you were all just dying for an update:

"After nearly a month, and much frustration, at long last, I have The Division 2."

(pause for applause while looking around, gently nodding and smiling)

"Yes. Yes, and courtesy(?) of AMDRewards, no less. After all the sleepless nights, it is mine and I am downloading it as we speak. It was a tough, hard fought road, but... success is sweet indeed."

(again pause for applause)

"Thank you all and God bless."

Epic keys have been a thing from a long time ago, I remember getting some Paragon stuff and also there was a humble bundle that also gave you an Epic key for Shadow Complex Remastered.
And yet I can't buy any of their new fangled awesome sauce exclusive games on Humble (for 10% off too) and thus save myself the hassle of wondering if Epic's crappy store is secure.

That Kingdom Come Deliverance "Complete" (though not really) over on Fanatical keeps calling my name... When it was first released, I would've sworn it was prime Monthly material or some such bundle poo, but here I am, contemplating whether I want to spend $30 on something I'll probably get pissed off at and quit after a couple hours.

I thought it was a maybe-possibly-soon sort of thing.

Are Epic Keys gonna appear at more places than just Humble?
What about GameStop? Gamersgate? Amazon DVG? GreenMan? Nuuvem? Etc etc?
I can definitively say that the answer is maybe.

And yet I can't buy any of their new fangled awesome sauce exclusive games on Humble (for 10% off too) and thus save myself the hassle of wondering if Epic's crappy store is secure.
The game I linked to on the Humble store is an Epic exclusive, actually.

You seem to use the terms anti-competition and anti-consumer as if they mean the same thing. They don't. Though the terms may, at times, of course be related.

I don't think that what Epic is doing is pro-consumer, at least not by design. It may or may not be anti-consumer, but, again, not by design. By design, it's pro-Epic. It is, however, the only realistic way that Epic can actually compete with Steam. It is certainly pro-competition. Competition that isn't competitive isn't competition, and an Epic store and client without exclusives isn't competitive. (It could be that an Epic store and client with exclusives isn't actually competitive either.)
It's not the only realistic way they can complete with Steam. It's the way they can do it while pushing the burden on consumers. It's like how AAA publishers outsources their marketing to consumers via Twitch. Why bother sinking millions into ad revenue when you can give your games to Streamers who aren't paid by you, but by your own consumer base?

To say that Epic couldn't again marketshare by offering reduced prices is to ignore how Steam gained a large marketshare in the first place.

It's not the only realistic way they can complete with Steam.
Well, Epic could actually also try to make their service have more features and be more robust than Steam is for us PC gamers....

...but, why would Epic try to do that when they can just buy-up exclusives like they're doing now?

On a related note; I was not surprised but disappointed with Randy Pitchford reaction regarding the review bombing of Borderlands.  My ultimate question at this time to him would be: what avenue(s) do you give gamers to voice their concerns.  Steam handled the review bombing by just removing all reviews for the time period which showed that Steam was trying to protect devs.  Epic have zero interest in forums leads to gamers having zero voice.  How is that pro consumer?

I have watch the console wars (mainly Sony vs MS) start with outright exclusive and moved until exclusives for a set time i.e. months.  I am not surprised but disappointed that this has spilled over to PC gaming.  

I think that Epic continuing to go after new releases for exclusivity is not helpful to CAGs but is really being implemented to drive traffic to Epic and to use their launcher.  (yeah, duh)  As others have stated, if Epic was to offer at a lower price point which happened with Metro then fine as that would mean competition.

Lastly, some of the companies that had their upcoming games appear on Steam and then went to Epic exclusive pulled a jerk move in my opinion.  Steam offers promotion of said game to entice sales and then the devs pull the game from Steam.  Did they even thank Steam for the promotion of said game?

ok, done with my rant (for now)

Celeste is great.

I think that Epic continuing to go after new releases for exclusivity is not helpful to CAGs but is really being implemented to drive traffic to Epic and to use their launcher. (yeah, duh) As others have stated, if Epic was to offer at a lower price point which happened with Metro then fine as that would mean competition.
Yeah, this certainly isn't helpful to CAG's.

If Epic's only say giving keys to say Humble, that is Epic Store's only competition. With Steam keys - yeah, pretty easy to find these at many different digital stores (Gamersgate, GameStop, GreenMan, Nuuvem, Direct2Drive, etc etc); and it's possible to see those stores fight over the best price (often by offering extra games tossed in, gift cards, wallet $ for their store, promo codes w/ extra percent off, and/or other kind of stuff).

Also, w/ less places to buy a game - yeah, this can keep the price high and at a premium. Doesn't mean they will, of course - but they certainly can. I mean, for example: look at how long it took EA to discount ME2 DLC Bundle, ME3 DLC Bundle, and DA2 DLC Bundle. You can only buy those from Origin - and that rarely goes on sale and still doesn't have the best of discounts.

That Kingdom Come Deliverance "Complete" (though not really) over on Fanatical keeps calling my name... When it was first released, I would've sworn it was prime Monthly material or some such bundle poo, but here I am, contemplating whether I want to spend $30 on something I'll probably get pissed off at and quit after a couple hours.
i want the game but there's a zero % chance i'm spending more than 10 bucks max on an indie rpg with quirky/"realistic" sword combat. could see myself getting pretty into the game but could also see myself absolutely hating it

It's not the only realistic way they can complete with Steam. It's the way they can do it while pushing the burden on consumers. It's like how AAA publishers outsources their marketing to consumers via Twitch. Why bother sinking millions into ad revenue when you can give your games to Streamers who aren't paid by you, but by your own consumer base?

To say that Epic couldn't again marketshare by offering reduced prices is to ignore how Steam gained a large marketshare in the first place.
Come on. Really?

Steam gained market share for many reasons, but did so in a market that did not have Steam absolutely dominating. That is not the market that exists today. No one is going to be able to start up a new store/client and actually offer any serious competition to Steam, at least not if the plan of attack is to try to compete on price, service and features. (And if the plan is to grab exclusives, well, I'm not convinced that what Epic is doing will actually work either, but I think it offers far better odds.)

just buy it.. so that the Bundle God can be pleased with your sacrifice

Are we talking about the same article? Because I'm talking about the Dragon Age article that's got MysterD pooping his load about Joplin and in it they clearly try to but the blame on EA and them wanting a game as a service and putting pressure on Bioware for all that. Sounds like you might be talking about the original Anthem article.
Yeah, we are. My bad I was still thinking about the Anthem article... Frankly, I'm still confused how Kotaku managed to post two honest to goodness interesting articles in the same quarter let alone same month.

Today I googled "should i play trails in the sky or trails of cold steel first" and guess what popped up as the first hit?

How to Get Into Trails, One of the Best RPG Series Out There.  Another informative short article from Kotaku telling me exactly what I wanted to know.  It's neatly tailored, personalized, and completely applicable to my interests.   I'm now a few hours into TiTS 1 even though I thought I was going to be starting Cold Steel this week.  It's pretty fun.  I'm playing it from my PC over Steam Link on the living room TV which is working out pretty well so far.

bread's done
Back