Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you re-friends me as since you left in a huff my Steam client keeps showing two new unread chat messages from 'unknown' and I can't clear it being marked as read.
Are you done being rude again? I have to keep putting you in time out until you settle down.
I can't help it if Steam suddenly drops my connection.
Oh look it's The Days of Our CAGS

Don't think I was able to enter for a copy, didn't have a Playfire account before voting. Thanks though.
It's because the game isn't available yet. They just want people to vote now because their servers imploded last year. "We'll post again very soon on how you can claim your free game"

Free XCOM: EU is a trap, it'll make you feel like you have to get XCOM: EW but they almost never discount that by itself for more than 66% off.

Future Pinball Arcade table? :)

x11.0.jpg

This friday you can play Hyper Light Drifter from Oct. 3rd through the rest of the month. You can get it for $25 here.

You get to play ony if u get the Limited Preview Edition for $25 not the regular one for $15

I just cleared Batman: Arkham Origins: Blackgate: Deluxe Edition: This title has lots of colons.

I kinda want to punch one of the THREE GAME DIRECTORS who decided that you had to run from one side of the map to another without any sort of quick travel. It sure felt like that added THREE HOURS to my playthrough.

And then I found out I HAVE TO CLEAR THE GAME TWO MORE TIMES TO GET ALL ACHIEVEMENTS. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

I just cleared Batman: Arkham Origins: Blackgate: Deluxe Edition: This title has lots of colons.

I kinda want to punch one of the THREE GAME DIRECTORS who decided that you had to run from one side of the map to another without any sort of quick travel. It sure felt like that added THREE HOURS to my playthrough.

And then I found out I HAVE TO CLEAR THE GAME TWO MORE TIMES TO GET ALL ACHIEVEMENTS. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
A game's gotta be pretty damn good to make me jump through hoops like that just for an achievement. Or it can pay me GMG credit. That's okay too.

A game's gotta be pretty damn good to make me jump through hoops like that just for an achievement. Or it can pay me GMG credit. That's okay too.
well, i will pay 10 cent for your first playthrough and 9 cents after every playthorugh after that... or whatever Playfire offer you, i'll match it. surely cheaper than donating to some random Internet youtuber & watch him play it

Here's an off-topic post in my native tongue:

I went to GameStop yesterday and picked up CEs for WoW: Mists of Pandaria and Defiance. When I asked the guy behind the counter about the Panda CE, it was as though I'd asked him to retrieve the Ark of the Covenant. It took him several trips to the back and I thought I heard him descending into a subbasement and possibly fighting Rodents of Unusual Size. He emerged about 15 minutes later with the box still bearing a $79.99 price sticker. After he called to ensure that no holds had been placed on the item, he asked me whether I wanted anything else. I reminded him that the website had said that the location had a Defiance CE. He said, "Yeah, we have one of those," popped in the stockroom for five seconds, and brought it out.
Every time I read about your encounters with others, my dislike for humanity increases.

Yes, I found the title to be quite vexing. Congratulations on finishing that Catwoman fight, though. That was annoying as f*%^ and I eventually gave up.

One mechanic that this title embraces that I really don't care for in modern titles is the idea of slowly unlocking upgrades that you need to find things that are in other places, thereby forcing a lot of what feels like pointless backtracking. This isn't a new trend--it's existed in its most simplistic form since the days of the first big FPS games--but it's something I think should have died a long time ago.

If anyone's interested in more of my thoughts on Blackgate, see here.

I think it's wrong that Reaper of Souls and the base game are the same price on sale. Come on, ActiBlizzard, you can do better than this. (Also I only paid $10 for the base game, so I'd be really uncomfortable paying twice that for an expansion.)

Every time I read about your encounters with others, my dislike for humanity increases.
Yeah, humanity's kind-of like that. That's why I try to limit most of my personal interactions to the workplace.

One mechanic that this title embraces that I really don't care for in modern titles is the idea of slowly unlocking upgrades that you need to find things that are in other places, thereby forcing a lot of what feels like pointless backtracking. This isn't a new trend--it's existed in its most simplistic form since the days of the first big FPS games--but it's something I think should have died a long time ago.
Is it actually pointless? Or are those unlocks needed to get through certain areas to progress the game? Cause that game mechanic has been around since at least 1986, in a game called Metroid.

Is it actually pointless? Or are those unlocks needed to get through certain areas to progress the game? Cause that game mechanic has been around since at least 1986, in a game called Metroid.
My point is that it is pointless because those items could just as easily be placed in the same area. The devs choose to put them elsewhere in order to make you backtrack to different locations. In other words, it's a way of artificially increasing the length of a game without really adding content.

And, yes, I'm aware that it's a very old mechanic. That doesn't make it inherently good.

Yes, I found the title to be quite vexing. Congratulations on finishing that Catwoman fight, though. That was annoying as f*%^ and I eventually gave up.

Catwoman was a pretty simple fight, not sure what gave you issues with it.

That mechanic has existed for far longer than big FPS games, It's existed since Metroid. Batman Blackgate is a metroidvania game so it's reasonable to assume it would have backtracking with collecting items to access new areas and stuff in old areas you've been to. It's not a modern idea but an old one that some people enjoy when it's done right.

Blackgate did not do it right. The backtracking was excessive (especially the end), and the map was too linear and small, which was made further aggravating by the abysmal map. The Suicide Squad game teaser was the best part of that game.

And, yes, I'm aware that it's a very old mechanic. That doesn't make it inherently good.
So what you're saying is something that people get enjoyment out of in those games is not good because it's not exactly what you enjoy?

Catwoman was a pretty simple fight, not sure what gave you issues with it.
I didn't want to spoil things too much, so

the counter controls did not work the same way in this sequence as in the rest of the game. The timing was off or somehow completely different. I got through the first of the three parts of this fight mostly by luck and could get no further despite many attempts.

So what you're saying is something that people get enjoyment out of in those games is not good because it's not exactly what you enjoy?
Yep, that's why they're called opinions.

FWIW, I don't really speak Nintendo, so I can only relate mechanics to games that came out on PCs from TRS-80s and Apple IIs on. Doom is the earliest game I can recall (or maybe Wolfenstein 3D) where there was a lot of this "go back to that area and find the red key so you can open the red door in this area" business.

I understand what people mean when they say "Metroid" in a broad sense but otherwise it's like a foreign language.

the counter controls did not work the same way in this sequence as in the rest of the game. The timing was off or somehow completely different. I got through the first of the three parts of this fight mostly by luck and could get no further despite many attempts.
Oh that's understandable, I didn't play it on PC so I'm not sure how the controls worked on that version.

FWIW, I don't really speak Nintendo, so I can only relate mechanics to games that came out on PCs from TRS-80s and Apple IIs on. Doom is the earliest game I can recall (or maybe Wolfenstein 3D) where there was a lot of this "go back to that area and find the red key so you can open the red door in this area" business.
I'll agree with you there, those keycards in Doom (especially Doom 2) were awful.

At least keys make sense. Darksiders had those ice barriers that you couldn't shatter with your 600-lb. sword; you had to wait until you obtained the proper magic mitten. 

Re: backtracking/unlocks/Metroidvanianess.

I felt Arkham City had it spot on. If you saw a collectible that, for whatever reason, you couldn't get at that moment in time, you could "tag" it and it would appear on your map. That way you could go back to it later on once you'd done everything.

I'm one of those people who tends to leave games once I'm done with the main quest line. But Arkham City and, to a lesser extent, Arkham Asylum had me playing for hours afterwards.

At least keys make sense. Darksiders had those ice barriers that you couldn't shatter with your 600-lb. sword; you had to wait until you obtained the proper magic mitten.
Fantastic. Looking forward to that whenever I de-backlog that series.

Re: backtracking/unlocks/Metroidvanianess.

I felt Arkham City had it spot on. If you saw a collectible that, for whatever reason, you couldn't get at that moment in time, you could "tag" it and it would appear on your map. That way you could go back to it later on once you'd done everything.

I'm one of those people who tends to leave games once I'm done with the main quest line. But Arkham City and, to a lesser extent, Arkham Asylum had me playing for hours afterwards.
For the most part, I'm this way too, but I didn't mind the collectibles in Origins too much. I felt (and others disagree) that the sheer number in AC was excessive, but I was able to collect most of the Riddler items in Origins before finishing the story. A few of them did require some serious gymnastics, though.

Color coded keys actually make sense.  Or keys in general really.  You don't know you need a key until you come across a door that is locked that you need opened to proceed.  I guess technically you could just pick up every set of keys you find along the way, but then you'd look and sound like a janitor.

Backtracking I think is just part of some games and I don't really mind it as long as it's just collectibles or makes sense.  Dead Rising 3 has a lot of collectibles that are locked in areas you can't access until you trigger certain storylines.  They show up on the map from the beginning though so sometimes you waste time trying to see if you can access them at that given time.  It's a little bit frustrating and I wish they clearly marked collectibles that were currently unavailable, but you can also just finish the game without them if you really wanted. Collectibles themselves are just cheap, easy ways to increase play time with no actual story (most of the time).  

How did you play it, with a pad or keyboard and mouse?

I tried playing it with kb+m - I'd cleared Asylum, City and Origins with them. But when I tried to play Blackgate, I found it impossible to counter. Something felt really off. So I grabbed the pad and played through the game with it, and did okay but the counter was still kinda odd. I think the timing is weird because it was originally a handheld console game, and it wasn't planned to use the mouse and keyboard from the start, unlike the rest of the games in the series.

I had similar problems with the last fight. but I focused and won on my first try (after losing half my health!)

Edit: I found a really good playthrough that has the location of all the collectibles - and I plan to use that for my next playthrough. In a week. Right now it's time to get the missing achievements in the Blackwell games.

Backtracking I think is just part of some games and I don't really mind it as long as it's just collectibles or makes sense. Dead Rising 3 has a lot of collectibles that are locked in areas you can't access until you trigger certain storylines. They show up on the map from the beginning though so sometimes you waste time trying to see if you can access them at that given time. It's a little bit frustrating and I wish they clearly marked collectibles that were currently unavailable, but you can also just finish the game without them if you really wanted. Collectibles themselves are just cheap, easy ways to increase play time with no actual story (most of the time).
Agreed. I just feel like it's a tired mechanic and I wouldn't be offended if it quietly disappeared. Collectibles in a general sense I don't mind too much because I mostly ignore them.

I think one of the problems with Blackgate is that if you're going to require someone to play through your game several times to get all of the trophies/achievements, you should make sure your game is actually fun to play.

How did you play it, with a pad or keyboard and mouse?

I tried playing it with kb+m - I'd cleared Asylum, City and Origins with them. But when I tried to play Blackgate, I found it impossible to counter. Something felt really off. So I grabbed the pad and played through the game with it, and did okay but the counter was still kinda odd. I think the timing is weird because it was originally a handheld console game, and it wasn't planned to use the mouse and keyboard from the start, unlike the rest of the games in the series.

I had similar problems with the last fight. but I focused and won on my first try (after losing half my health!)
KB+M. That's my preferred approach for almost any game. I've found a few that really don't work with it, although I can't remember the last one I felt I absolutely had to pull out the Logitech for.

EDIT: I take that back. I do remember. I was playing some Test Drive Unlimited 2 last month and I only use the gamepad for that one.

The auto-targeting system in that game was dreadful though. And it's not really much better in the game I'm playing right now (Two Worlds II).

I think one of the problems with Blackgate is that if you're going to require someone to play through your game several times to get all of the trophies/achievements, you should make sure your game is actually fun to play.
I'm pretty sure this is something most games should strive for regardless of achievements.

Color coded keys actually make sense. Or keys in general really. You don't know you need a key until you come across a door that is locked that you need opened to proceed. I guess technically you could just pick up every set of keys you find along the way, but then you'd look and sound like a janitor.

Backtracking I think is just part of some games and I don't really mind it as long as it's just collectibles or makes sense. Dead Rising 3 has a lot of collectibles that are locked in areas you can't access until you trigger certain storylines. They show up on the map from the beginning though so sometimes you waste time trying to see if you can access them at that given time. It's a little bit frustrating and I wish they clearly marked collectibles that were currently unavailable, but you can also just finish the game without them if you really wanted. Collectibles themselves are just cheap, easy ways to increase play time with no actual story (most of the time).
I thought collectables in Dead Rising 3 unlocked stuff with smartglass? Maybe that's just X1 version.

Daily Deal
Planetary Annihilation - $29.99 $14.99

Weekend Deals
Democracy 3 - $24.99 $8.49
Victoria II - $19.99 $2.99
Victoria I Complete - $9.99 $1.49
Knights of Honor - $9.99 $1.5
Woody Two-Legs: Attack of the Zombie Pirates - $4.99 $0.74
The Kings' Crusade - $9.99 $1.99
Defenders of Ardania - $9.99 $1.99
Arsenal of Democracy: A Hearts of Iron Game - $9.99 $1.99
Europa Universalis III Complete - $14.99 $3
Gettysburg: Armored Warfare - $9.99 $1.99
Majesty Gold HD - $9.99 $1.99
Hearts of Iron 2 Complete - $14.99 $2.99
A Game of Dwarves - $9.99 $1.99
Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition - $9.99 $2.49
The Showdown Effect - $9.99 $2.49
Ship Simulator Extremes - $19.99 $4.99
Magicka - $9.99 $2.49
Europa Universalis IV - $39.99 $9.99
Crusader Kings Complete - $9.99 $2.49
Magicka: Wizards of the Square Tablet - $4.99 $1.24
March of the Eagles - $19.99 $4.99
The Showdown Effect - $9.99 $2.49
Ship Simulator Extremes - $19.99 $4.99
Magicka - $9.99 $2.49
Europa Universalis: Rome - Gold Edition - $9.99 $2.49
Evil Genius - $9.99 $2.49
King Arthur: Fallen Champions - $4.99 $1.24
King Arthur II: The Role-Playing Wargame - $9.99 $2.49
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West - $9.99 $2.49
Majesty 2 - $9.99 $2.49
Hearts of Iron III - $9.99 $2.49
Cities in Motion - $19.99 $4.99
Sword of the Stars II: Enhanced Edition - $19.99 $4.99
Sengoku - $9.99 $2.49
Supreme Ruler: Cold War - $9.99 $2.49
Warlock - Master of the Arcane - $19.99 $4.99
Leviathan: Warships - $9.99 $2.49
Darkest Hour: A Hearts of Iron Game - $9.99 $2.49
Impire - $19.99 $4.99
Naval War: Arctic Circle - $19.99 $4.99
Crusader Kings II - $39.99 $9.99
Majesty 2 Collection - $19.99 $4.99
War of the Vikings - $24.99 $12.49
Warlock 2: The Exiled - $29.99 $14.99

I have no idea why it took so long to realize I could do this . . .

[attachment=8663:Untitled.png]

Er, I meant this . . .

[attachment=8664:Untitled2.png]

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back