Surprisingly the Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Name is Bruce - Pure cheesy awesomeness!
March of the Penguins - A good nature flick that reminded me of the old Disney nature flicks.

The Uninvited - 3/5 - average remake. Elizabeth Banks is nice though...
Class of Nukem High - 3/5 - better then your average Troma film. Had its moments. First creature kill is $$$.

Riki-Oh - 4/5 - bloody amazing. The Story of Ricky is a Hong Kong action movie which is SO over the top with violence and gore making it a must watch for anyone who enjoys martial arts/bloody movies. I laughed so much during this film. Riki-Oh was way more funny than Battlefield Baseball which is up there in entertainment. Get a friend and go watch it!

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Dawn of the Dead(1979)- One of my favorite zombie flicks![/quote]

^^HELL YEAH

Just watched some old Bond films that were good(Diamonds are Forever, Moonraker, Goldfinger)

Getting ready to watch a good movie I saw early in the morning called City of Industry

Just watched Traitor. Kinda hokey. I remember the promotional blitz for the movie claimed it was like the Bourne movies x10. More like the Bourne x0.10

Barefoot Gen 1 & 2 - Again, uggh..I think after this anime class I'm taking an extended vacation from anime. Thi is my 7th time watching this film in about 1 month and a half.

The Great Buck Howard (2008)

This was great. Real-life father and son, Colin and Tom Hanks, play father and son in this quirky comedy. But it's totally John Malkovich's film, (giving a brilliant performance as usual), as The Great Buck Howard. The character of "Buck Howard" is based on real-life 1970s mentalist, The Amazing Kreskin. It's actually quite an interesting story.

The Great Buck Howard: "Very well. Good evening. Troy, you can bring that and toss my salad when you get back to the hotel."

Yet another afterdark horror movie....

The Broken - 3/5 - The Broken is an interesting movie. Its very much a slow burn where you get lots of build up for the one grand event which is semi-pleasing. Sadly you are able to guess the ending 20 minutes into the movie. The acting is rock solid for all the actors including the lead played by Lena Headey. With Lena as the lead actress I didn't find myself yawning or being bored, even through the very slow going film. The choice of no music/score for most of the movie was a effective one. The silence of the room and footsteps gave the movie an effect that a musical score couldn't accomplish. The director, Sean Ellis seems to enjoy toying with you throughout the movie. Many times you get the shots lined up with the mirror waiting for the person to show up from behind but he never does. Its fun to look for but importantly it helps keep tension throughout the film. There is little violence or gore in The Broken so for the slasher/gore fans, this movie wont deliver. The ending to Broken is disappointing since you see it coming from the beginning AND them not explaining the most important question about the film is a total cop-out. That being said a slow burning movie with a decent story and with zero answers? Might be worth a rental on rainy Saturday afternoon.

Paul Blart: Mall Cop - It REEEEEEEALLY helps that I think Kevin James is hilarious, because for me, he was the only good part of this movie. That and the chick he was interested in. Quite attractive.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Yeah, that's exactly how I felt after watching that movie.[/quote]

So many people hate that movie. I don't get why. I thought it was cool. The soundtrack is one of the most impressive I've ever heard, it drives the movie even more than the soundtrack did in Magnolia. I bought a couple tracks off iTunes right after I finished watching it.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']So many people hate that movie. I don't get why. I thought it was cool. The soundtrack is one of the most impressive I've ever heard, it drives the movie even more than the soundtrack did in Magnolia. I bought a couple tracks off iTunes right after I finished watching it.[/quote]

It's one of my favorite movies period. The soundtrack is also probably my favorite. I can listen to it at any given time and not be tired of it.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']The Phantom

That was just bad.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

I remember watching that when it was in theaters and thinking it was the coolest thing ever. Haven't seen it since though.

Barefoot Gen 1 - Thankfully for the last time. I'm so fucking sick and tired of anime that I'll probably stay away from it for awhile. Doesn't help too much that the prof. of the class read way too much into the films/anime, and is per usual with most profs. these days, seemed more interested in his own viewpoints and shit than talking about the films. Again, read way too much into too many films that were very clear as to their intention, meaning, etc.

He's Just Not That Into You

I ended up staying awake and watching the whole thing whil my wife fell asleep. It was a good movie. It also helps that Jennifer Aniston, Scarlett Johansson and Ginnifer Goodwin were in it.

Ichi the Killer - 3/5 - for a 2 hour movie it actually felt like 2 hours. Most Miike films feel extremely drawn out, Ichi doesn't which is definitely a good thing. Like most of his films its about the yakuza but not in the traditional sense. Instead he has some disturbed kid dressed in a "suit" who goes around slashing them up. I wish Miike would make a straight up crime movie...anyways violence is there. It has the typical over-top-blood effects that japan is known for. Story is decent, they actually explain the story in pretty good detail which is rare for a foreign film. Overall its a fair movie.

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen - Another brilliant Terry Gilliam movie.

You Only Live Twice - A great Bond flick.

Sneakers - A favorite of mine.

Cars
- One of the weakest Pixar films but it still has that same Pixar charm.

Lawrence Of Arabia

Honestly? Probably one of the best things that's ever been created.
If you haven't seen it yet, what the hell are you waiting for?

Bangkok Dangerous - 5/10

Only reason I wanted to see this was the Asian Chicks. That's the only reason it got up to 5 too. I'm really starting to get tired of Cage trying to do a Neo in every movie. I don't know if I'll actually finish this movie either.

Perkins 14 - 2/5 - Another afterdark horror film, interesting story, some decent special effects. rest falls flat.
Call of Cthulhu - 3/5 - Silent short film(47minutes), one of the few i seen. last half is pretty solid. First half of piling on a story w/ 5 layers of nested flashbacks was a lame.

Wolverine - Bad. Convoluted, pointless story that fucks over the much better movies that come after it. The pacing and style are extremely reminiscent of The Incredible Hulk, which was acceptable for that movie, but this franchise deserved better. The special effects are all overblown, unrestrained CGI. Gambit sucks and the explanation for him being in the movie sucks.

Liev Schreiber was awesome, but his character doesn't appear to have any motivations for his actions.

Fanboys (2008)

Pretty funny film about Star Wars fanboys, (and Star Trek fanboys, but mainly the Lucas fanboys). The main cast are all entertaining, especially Jay Baruchel, but all the awesome cameos made this fun for me, with Kevin Smith, Jason Mewes, Seth Rogen (in two roles), Danny Trejo, Ethan Suplee, and William Shatner.

Wolverine (7/10) it was ok could have been much better. The story was ugh, terrible but the action was cool.
The Wrestler (9.5/10) Welcome Back Mickey Rourke! i have watched this movie 3 times this week. I loved the story loved the cinematography loved seeing Marisa Tomei topless great movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back