Surround Sound Headphones Recommendations?

Gentlegamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I've little by little upgraded my cheap ass gaming set up over the past few months. I finally have an HDTV, now I'm interested in getting some surround sound going for my 360 gaming. As such, I'm really interested in using headphones for surround sound (don't want to set up speakers all over the room).

What are the CAG recommendations for surround sound headphones? I'm particularly interested in solutions that don't require a separate receiver.

I use the Tritton AX180 which are $70 right now but I got mine awhile back on amazon for $55. They do the job and are just right for me. You can get the ax720 Tritton's for like $100 now just gotta look around. I've had turtle beach headsets before and they didn't last (mess up quickly) but look around and read reviews.

the turtle beach ones which are popular lately are decent, only suggestion I'd make is get rechargable batteries because they go through them quickly.

Similar question, I guess...

I have some really nice ($80+) PC headsets, but I can't use them directly with the 360. I can't really figure out a plausible way to use them as my speakers/headset without possibly gimping it or losing surround sound.

I'm also using a VGA cable for the 360 (instead of S-video or HDMI), so this also complicates things.

Anyone done something similar, or can help? I saw the Steelseries audio mixer for $40, but it apparently doesn't output Dolby 5.1?

Kinda driving me nuts, cause I'm using the basic XBL headset, and it's getting annoying having to speak loudly just to activate the shitty mic.

I used the Sony MDR-DS3000 Wireless Digital Surround Headphones when I play my games at night while I was living in a small apartment and it worked great. It can process Dolby Digital and DTS using an optical cable. You can rest the headphones on the receiver unit to recharge it after use. You can buy additional headphones to connect to it as well. The only downside to this thing is that its Dolby Pro Logic II mix is rather poor. When listening to stereo sound, you can disable the DPLII mix though thankfully.

bread's done
Back