The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Can the monthly PUR $5 be used to renew?

My sub runs out Aug... honesty not sure I want to keep going. I'm just not someone who wants to spend time in an GS store and the shipping kills the online shopping. I'd renew PUR for sure if they offered like a lower threshold for free shipping.
No it can’t.
You can use rewards certs towards it but not the monthly.

If your Pro expires soon, then there's a high chance you already have a coupon in your account that offers $5 off renewing Pro. You should be able to see it on the website, or if you go to a store, the associate should be able to see it too.

If your Pro expires soon, then there's a high chance you already have a coupon in your account that offers $5 off renewing Pro. You should be able to see it on the website, or if you go to a store, the associate should be able to see it too.
even then, is $15 still worth it a year?

even then, is $15 still worth it a year?
I let my subscription expire a couple days ago. Since Game Informer stopped being a physical magazine (It's available as a seperate subscription, which I have bought), and since they stopped letting $5 rewards be used on eShop credit, the membership is useless for me. I have extremely specific game wants, and they are rarely the best deal. Not to mention that ordering games from their website is a crapshoot. Maybe new games will come sealed; maybe they won't. Maybe used games will be shipped with original boxart; maybe not. I'm tired of their tactics and changes. I'm out.

I got my last Pro for free due to a return their own computers messed up and gave me money back. It's been helpful, more so during the latest clearance push they had. But I have no intent in ever renewing.

Outside of the world of meme stocks, they're circling the drain. Most stores have really low quality in terms of shelf stock. They still charge equal price for a game with a case versus game without a case. And their stores are still full of plastic garbage and stale t-shirts.

Luckily I have four mom and pop shops withing a 30~ minute drive, not counting local chains, so I'm at a premium for used games. I'd go to GameStop for hardware if I was ever in need of a controller or something, but that's far and few between. They don't even stock stuff like 8BitDo, IIRC, making their selection pretty weak on that front, too.

So, nope. Renewing is worthless to me.

I got a Pro subscription for free when I bought a PS5 last year, I didn't even plan on it. I'd say it probably increased what I bought from there but not by much. I only have one store in my general area and video game stock really seems to be dwindling over time (especially new product). A good chunk I've probably brought online or store pickup, and even then I really struggled to find something to use the monthly $5 reward on. I'm sure there are multiple months where I didn't use it.

No reason for me to renew. It's up in 4 days and I have it set to not renew.

I let my subscription expire a couple days ago. Since Game Informer stopped being a physical magazine (It's available as a seperate subscription, which I have bought), and since they stopped letting $5 rewards be used on eShop credit, the membership is useless for me. I have extremely specific game wants, and they are rarely the best deal. Not to mention that ordering games from their website is a crapshoot. Maybe new games will come sealed; maybe they won't. Maybe used games will be shipped with original boxart; maybe not. I'm tired of their tactics and changes. I'm out.
100%

1) Has this thread vanished from the Video Game Deals forum for anyone else? I rely on notifications here for the most part, but I noticed that the actual full thread isn't listed in the forum itself for me.

2) Does PSN/eShop credit count towards the $250 threshold for getting $25 off? I expect not, but thought I'd ask to be sure.

1) Has this thread vanished from the Video Game Deals forum for anyone else? I rely on notifications here for the most part, but I noticed that the actual full thread isn't listed in the forum itself for me.

2) Does PSN/eShop credit count towards the $250 threshold for getting $25 off? I expect not, but thought I'd ask to be sure.

A dying thread, on a dying website.

I can trade in Mario Rabbids if there is ever another good trade in deal. Found out the person I gameshare with bought it digitally when it was on sale. I suppose I could always sell it for like $10 on offer up.

My membership is also about to expire and I also have no intentions of renewing. It was fun while it lasted and I had the Elite membership back in the day (lost my OG CAG account when the switch over to this new site happened). Does anyone have any experience with having negative value PUR points on their account and what happens?

My membership is also about to expire and I also have no intentions of renewing. It was fun while it lasted and I had the Elite membership back in the day (lost my OG CAG account when the switch over to this new site happened). Does anyone have any experience with having negative value PUR points on their account and what happens?
Returns.

My pro is up on the 15th and I'm not going to renew either. The real value for me is the 10% extra on trades, but I've been trading so much less this past year. I've got $5k in points and my $5 monthly I gotta use soon.

You just go negative and stay there. Any purchases bring you back towards zero.

My pro is up on the 15th and I'm not going to renew either. The real value for me is the 10% extra on trades, but I've been trading so much less this past year. I've got $5k in points and my $5 monthly I gotta use soon.

Ngl I do ultimately trade in enough games per year that I probably should keep it...

If I get another discount in addition to the $5 coupon I was already given for renewing, then I'm definitely doing it tbh

I got my last Pro for free due to a return their own computers messed up and gave me money back. It's been helpful, more so during the latest clearance push they had. But I have no intent in ever renewing.

Outside of the world of meme stocks, they're circling the drain. Most stores have really low quality in terms of shelf stock. They still charge equal price for a game with a case versus game without a case. And their stores are still full of plastic garbage and stale t-shirts.

Luckily I have four mom and pop shops withing a 30~ minute drive, not counting local chains, so I'm at a premium for used games. I'd go to GameStop for hardware if I was ever in need of a controller or something, but that's far and few between. They don't even stock stuff like 8BitDo, IIRC, making their selection pretty weak on that front, too.

So, nope. Renewing is worthless to me.
I went to the 2 closest GameStops near me after not stepping foot in one in many years. I was looking for Oblivion, Fallout 3 & New Vegas. They had cases on shelf for Oblivion and New Vegas but couldnt find the discs. Also asked about Skyrim as my girlfriend wanted that on disc since we want to cancel GamePass to save some money. But neither store had a copy of Skyrim either and both actually laughed at me for even asking for any of those games "why not play something newer?" "What, why Skyrim?" "Why would you want to play such an old game?" And then followed by "just get GamePass".

Also overheard employees talking while I was browsing and it sounded like doom and gloom, them getting emails that they arent working hard and all kinds of issues. Was a weird vibe in there lol. I went to each store 3 times looking for various games and wanting to purchase something but left empty handed and uncomfortable each time.

You would think the last thing Gamestop (or it's employees) would want you to do is "just get GamePass". There is no money in that for GS.

The still wander into a GS by me, it is rare to find something unique. Although last time I was there I saw a trailer for "Pacific Drive" and bought that with the last of my store credit.

You would think the last thing Gamestop (or it's employees) would want you to do is "just get GamePass". There is no money in that for GS.

The still wander into a GS by me, it is rare to find something unique. Although last time I was there I saw a trailer for "Pacific Drive" and bought that with the last of my store credit.
Sad what happened to gamestop. I went to do a trade in at a gamestop I frequent. I had a few games with me and two of them were discs only. The discs-only games were brought into the store in a sleeve (the yellow/white sleeves that gamestop uses, I randomly had it, so I used it, didn't think too much of it).

The employee sees the sleeves and immediately questions it, and is like where did you get that sleeve? Did an employee hand it to you because that's a final on that employee. Demands me to tell me which store it came from, and his coworker jumped in too and starts interrogating me about all my games. Says the only way I could've gotten those yellow sleeves is if they were incorrectly sold to me or it was STOLEN. I told him I don't remember which store I got it from. They didn't like my answer, so they pulled up my account and start searching through my purchase/trade history. They then asked me where I get all my games anyway, because they see I traded a lot in their system, heavily insinuating that I stole these games. I gave a short answer about where I purchased them.

Then they see that some of the games I brought in were traded before on my account, and they flat out refuse to take any of those games (whenever I trade in multiples of a game, I always keep it at 3 per month, i only ever traded 1 game 3 times, it was five nights freddy switch (hehe), and the duplicate trade on my account was over a month ago, but that didn't matter to them). They said gamestop policy restricts trading in multiple copies of the same game and I was borderline abusing the trade system. I didn't argue with them on any of this cuz I knew I could always leave and try a different gamestop.

After checking each individual game and scanning my account history, they said they could only take 2 games out of my stack because those were the only 2 games I never traded before. I declined and left. This happened in an empty store, I was the only customer there. I'm never trading games at that location ever again bcuz fuck that experience. I assume after I left, the two employees resumed staring at the wall because thats what they were doing when I walked in. I didn't know gamestop was in the business of rejecting trades at a trade-in store where they barely have customers coming in. But that's gamestop 2024.

Anyway, I traded in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Switch for $39 after their 20% bonus on buying any preowned game. I bought splatterhouse 360 for $34.99, happy to find that at least :)

Yeah the junior detectives have been around for awhile and when you run into them it is quite an experience. They even can go as far as flagging your account to loss prevention if they take it serious enough. It's very dumb for a store with inventory issues. I get the sleeves all the time from online orders so it's weird to question something like that.

Last edited:
Only two types of Gamestop drones left really. Those who tried to leave and failed and those too lazy/scared/complacent/etc to try.

If you frame your interactions within either context it makes it a little easier to understand their behavior and brush it off. Imagine working at gamestop and making MAYBE $10 an hour and getting chewed out by your boss and their boss daily. What a depressing life.

Just tried to bring in my Coinstar GameStop gift card credit to buy something and was told they have no way to use it or input it and wouldnt know where to begin, I pointed to where it says gift card number and pin number and still they said theres no way to use it lol. Funny thing is I used them at that same store a few months back. Guess Ill try the website. Just figured Id stop in since I was running errands near GS.

Just tried to bring in my Coinstar GameStop gift card credit to buy something and was told they have no way to use it or input it and wouldnt know where to begin, I pointed to where it says gift card number and pin number and still they said theres no way to use it lol. Funny thing is I used them at that same store a few months back. Guess Ill try the website. Just figured Id stop in since I was running errands near GS.
Try using the gift card balance webpage on GameStop and then use the option to save the card to Apple Wallet.

Last time I had a egift card with a scannable bar code the employee claimed they didn’t know how to use that and instead typed in all the numbers to use it.

Picked this up immediately. It has to be a pricing error, so go quick if you want it! The expansion pass by itself went on sale for same price at Nintendo.

Reminds me of when Yoshi’s Crafted World digital code mistakenly went to $5 awhile back.

Anyone else got a payment declined email even though GameStop took the money and sent the code? It says "Your order was declined because your financial institution did not allow us to process your payment."
I used a trade card, you're my financial institution for that card GameStop.
I got that too, used PayPal. It does look like they took the money from my PayPal account though.

sorry, looks like the trading forums have people selling them for $40, gotta improve your offer.
Geez. Yeah go there instead. I already have the cartridge but didn't even know the game had DLC. I don't know how much I could sell the game for so if I paid 40 bucks, I would have to hope I at least made most of it back.

Not holding my breath! Haven’t done nearly as much trading this year as I usually do! I was getting a Swich OLED a month in years past. I’ve bought a few with credit this year but they definitely aren’t as popular as they used to be locally.
I hear on that. If not for the high refurb fee on controllers(XSX,Etc) it's something else.

bread's done
Back