The best underplayed/underappreciated games? - Dreamcast and GB/GBC posted

[quote name='MSI Magus']I completely agree that people tend to overhype sleeper hits. There are far too many average games like both of those you named as well as Skies of Arcadia(hell 80% of the DCs library for that matter), Ico, Beyond Good and Evil and many others. While many are great games they often fall short of being AAA titles and def are not among the best in their genre.

However, a game thats an 8.5 is still DAMN worthy of playing, especially whenever its something like the first Bloody Roar which does something so different from the rest of its genre, or games like Mist Mosquito which may not even be worth an 8 but are so damn unique they deserve some attention.

Thats what I am going to attempt to do with this list. The intent is not to stand up and scream Alundra is better then Zelda, but to say Alundra is a damn fine game that not enough people know about.[/QUOTE]

Disappointment can ensue with any game, no matter how lauded and whether it's a sleeper or no. Tastes are never 1-size fits all and once you go past 6.5 or 7 on a rating scale the number is largely meaningless. What's important is, as you say, making sure a good game without the hype of the big names gets a fair shot.

Armada(DC)
Chu Chu Rocket(DC)
Izuna 1 & 2(DS)
Half-Minute Hero(PSP)
Little King's Story(Wii)
Etrian Odyssey's(DS)
Fatal Frame's(PS2/Xbox/Wii)
Power Stone 1 & 2(DC/PSP)

[quote name='doodofdoods']Armada(DC)
Chu Chu Rocket(DC)
Izuna 1 & 2(DS)
Half-Minute Hero(PSP)
Little King's Story(Wii)
Etrian Odyssey's(DS)
Fatal Frame's(PS2/Xbox/Wii)
Power Stone 1 & 2(DC/PSP)[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Was missing Armada!

Does anyone know anything about copyright laws for video game images? I have tried doing a bit of research but I have seen some really conflicting information. A lot of people have said any image you take yourself in a game can be used as an image in a website, book, tv or whatever where as others suggested seeking out permission from the developers.

To be honest what I intend to do is create a book out of all of this. I am going to start it off as a website listing these 1,000s of games and have pictures and descriptions of each, but then take a very large chunk of it over the next few years(since this is a massive project)and turn it into a monster book. I just want to make sure I am doing everything on the up and up from day one.

Ok so here is the Gameboy/Gameboy Color lists. I started with them because people only gave a few suggestions for them. I did a good 3-4 hours of research and here is what I came up with. Suggest things left off the list and vote for things that you feel are too popular.

Toki Tori - GBC
Adventures of Lolo
Aerostar
Alice in Wonderland
Amazing Penguin
Asterix: Search for Dogmatix
Avenging Spirit
Ballistic
Balloon Kid / Balloon Fight GB
Banishing Racer
Battle Arena Toshinden
Battle Crusher
Battle Unit Zeoth
Blaster Master Boy / Jr. / Bomber King 2
Blaster Master: Enemy Below
Bomberman Max Red/Blue
Bomberman Quest
Boomer's Adventure in ASMIK World
Bubble Ghost
Bugs Bunny in Crazy Castle
Commander Keen
CosmoTank
Croc 2
Crystalis
Daikatana
Dead Heat Scramble
Dexter’s Laboratory: Robot Rampage
Dexterity
Disney’s Tarzan
Disney’s The Jungle Book: Mowgli’s Wild Adventure
Disney’s The Lion King: Simba’s Mighty Adventure
Disney's Tarzan
Disney's The Little Mermaid II Pinball Frenzy
Donald Duck: Goin’ Quackers
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 2
Donkey Kong Land 3
Dr. Franken 1 & 2
Dragon Dance
Dropzone Color
E.T. Escape from Planet Earth
Faceball 2000
Fighting Simulator 2-in-1: Flying Warriors
Flipull
Gamera
Gargoyle’s Quest
Gourmet Paradise
Hammerin’ Harry: Ghost Building Company
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Heiankyo Alien
Hype: The Time Quest
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Inspector Gadget
James Bond 007
Kid Dracula
Kid Icarus
Kirby Tilty and Tumble
Kirbys block ball
Kung-Fu Master
Legend of the River King 2
Lock ‘n Chase
Lock n' Chase
Logical
Looney Tunes
Looney Tunes Collector: Alert!
Looney Tunes: Carrot Crazy
Looney Tunes: Marvin Strikes Back!
Looney Tunes: Twouble!
Lufia: The Legend Returns
Magi Nation
Magical Chase
Magical Tetris Challenge
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Matchbox Emergency Patrol
Metal Walker
Mickey’s Speedway USA
Mickys Racing Adventure
Micro Machines 1 and 2: Twin Turbo
Micro Machines V3
Microsoft Puzzle Collection
Minder 2049er
Mole Mania
Monster Max
Monster Rancher Explorer
Montezuma’s Return
Nail ‘n Scale
Nemesis 2
Nettou King of Fighters ’96
Ninja Spirit
Noobow
Power Quest
Project S-11
Puzzle Master
Qix
Quarth
Racin’ Ratz
Rats!
Revelations: The Demon Slayer
Revenge of the Gator
Rolan's Curse
Sabrina the Animated Series: Zapped!
Sagaia
Scooby-Doo! Classic Creep Capers
Shanghai
Shanghai Pocket
Shantae
Snoopy Tennis
Snoopy: Magic Show
Solar Strike
Solomons Club
Space Marauder
Spanky’s Quest
Spy vs spy
Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors' Dreams
Survival Kids
The Lion King: Simba's Mighty Adventure
The Mummy
The Simpsons: Night of the Living Treehouse of Horror
Toki Tori
Top Gear Pocket 2
Trax
Trip World
Trouballs
Tumble Pop
Tweety’s High-Flying Adventure
Vattle Giuce
Wacky Races
Walt Disney's The Jungle Book: Mowgli's Wild Adventure
Wendy: Every Witch Way
Woody Woodpecker Racing
World Heroes 2 Jet
Worms Armageddon

Bomberman Max Red/Blue
Bomberman Quest
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 2
Donkey Kong Land 3
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors' Dreams

I would argue that these were underplayed/underappreciated

I'm throwing in an old PC game that I loved called "Clive Barker's Undying"

It bombed at retail but that game was an awesome horror game.

Beyond Good and Evil
Lost Odyssey

I will also toss out Lord of the Rings: The Third Age on the XBOX. I loved this game, but not many people have even heard of it. Fun little RPG.

I would also like to add Little Ninja Bros. and Kung Fu Heroes for NES. The first one was basically like the other except it had RPG elements.

Little Ninja Bros. was also for Gameboy as Ninja Boy I think.

Disney's Hercules - PSX - very much a continuation of the awesome Aladdin/Jungle Book games on the Genesis/SNES. Unfortunately it's on the UK PSN store but not the US.

Kagero: Deception 2

I'll second Pandemonium also, though I didn't like the 2nd one.

Magus: thanks for reminding me about Heiankyo Alien, I owned that for my original GB (that was stolen by a crack whore and pawned when I was a youngin- along with all of the games) and loved it.

[quote name='GhostShark']I will also toss out Lord of the Rings: The Third Age on the XBOX. I loved this game, but not many people have even heard of it. Fun little RPG.[/QUOTE]
I played that. It was very fun, especially since I believe you had some level of co-op play in it. Or was that LOTR: Two Towers?

N64-Conker's Bad Fur Day
PS1-Legend of Legaia
Xbox-Still Life

[quote name='2DMention']I would also like to add Little Ninja Bros. and Kung Fu Heroes for NES. The first one was basically like the other except it had RPG elements.

Little Ninja Bros. was also for Gameboy as Ninja Boy I think.[/QUOTE]

Hey in case you do not know there is a sequel to Ninja boys on the SNES called Super Ninja Bros. I am sure you probably know about it, but in case you did not mention it because you never heard of its release I wanted to tell you!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I played that. It was very fun, especially since I believe you had some level of co-op play in it. Or was that LOTR: Two Towers?[/QUOTE]

There was Co-Op in the game and it was pretty fun co-op at that!

No thoughts at all on the GB list? A lot of these will be easy for me to edit myself, but the GB/GBC will be a monster since my knowledge of the two is limited...meaning ill have to play each and every single game.

[quote name='MSI Magus']No thoughts at all on the GB list? A lot of these will be easy for me to edit myself, but the GB/GBC will be a monster since my knowledge of the two is limited...meaning ill have to play each and every single game.[/QUOTE]
The few I named are either too popular or overappreciated for GB/GBC

Aww man! This list just reminded me how much I wanted to play Gunvalkyrie and Call of Cthulu back in the original xbox heyday... and I have such a backlog already! lol.

Thanks... I think.

[quote name='MSI Magus']No thoughts at all on the GB list? A lot of these will be easy for me to edit myself, but the GB/GBC will be a monster since my knowledge of the two is limited...meaning ill have to play each and every single game.[/QUOTE]

I never played that much on GB/GBC, since my Mom wouldn't let me get one until I was in high school. And not long after I got my GBC, GBA came out. Sorry I can't be much help for those consoles.

[quote name='Trillian']I never played that much on GB/GBC, since my Mom wouldn't let me get one until I was in high school. And not long after I got my GBC, GBA came out. Sorry I can't be much help for those consoles.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thats where I am at with the GB/GBC. I not only know of but have played/know enough about most GBA, PSX, PS2, DS, PSP, PS3, GC etc etc games to do the writing on those games easy. Then there are a few systems like the N64, Saturn and Xbox where I have holes in my knowledge base....but Christ the GB/GBC and Game Gear I know next to nothing about since I never had one as a kid and by the time I could play them I figured why bother since I had a GBA/DS/PSP.

[quote name='MSI Magus']..but Christ the GB/GBC and Game Gear I know next to nothing about since I never had one as a kid and by the time I could play them I figured why bother since I had a GBA/DS/PSP.[/QUOTE]

You basically didn't miss much not ever playing the Game Gear I think there are probably 3 games total worth playing on that thing.

As far as the list of GB/GBC games you gave the only one I played was Power Quest which was a fairly good 2D fighter when that system didn't really have any. Also I guess from GB/GBC you have Metal Gear Solid (GBC) which I really haven't heard many people talk about but was an interesting game with fairly solid gameplay considering the console it was on, and also Dragon Warrior III (GBC) which is basically a spruced up version of the NES original, oh and also Dragon Warrior Monsters and Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 Cobi's/Tara's Adventure which is basically a Pokemon-esque game but featuring the monsters from Dragon Warrior(Quest).

Mickeymania for the Genesis, and Monster in my Pocket for the NES.

the GB/GBC and Game Gear I know next to nothing about since I never had one as a kid
They were the only systems I was ALLOWED to have... my parents had a hang up on consoles for some reason (though we would occasionally rent a Sega CD or SNES from BBV) so I had to deal with portable systems in my early years. I'm hesitant to make any recommendations because I may not have liked many of the games that I played so much as I forced myself to enjoy them... I can tell you that the GameGear had an excellent port of Streets of Rage 2 that I don't think many people recognize. Shantae is a real sleeper hit for the GBC.

Here is the Dreamcast list. Just realize that many many many MANY Dreamcast games were put on the PS2 and PC meaning that many games are not listed here but are on the multi platform list. Anyways as I said here is the list, let me know of games missing or games that you feel should be voted off.

4 Wheel Thunder
Aero Wings 2
Alien Front Online
Armada
Armada
BANG! Gunship Elite
Bangai-O
Cannon Spike
Carrier
Coaster Works
Confidential Mission
Cool Cool Toon
D2
Deep Fighter: The Tsunami Offense
Demolition Racer: No Exit
Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm
Elemental Gimmick Gear
Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves
Frame Gride
Gauntlet Legends
Giga Wing
Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise from the Ashes
Heavy Metal: Geomatrix
Illbleed
iron Aces
Jet Grind Radio
Jet Set Radio Future
Last Blade 2
Maken X
Mars Matrix: Hyper Solid Shooting
Omikron: The Nomad Soul
Ooga Booga
Outtrigger
Pen Pen TriIcelon
Power Stone 1 and 2
Project Justice
Psychic Force 2012
Record of Lodoss Wars
Red Dog: Superior Firepower
Rippin' Riders
Samba de Amigo
Seaman
Sega Bass Fishing 2
Speed Devils
Speed Devils Online Racing
Sports Jam
Super Magnetic Neo
sword of the berserk
Tech Romancer
Tee Off
The Last Blade 2: Heart of the Samurai
Toy Commander
Vampire Chronicle
Vanishing Point
Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram
zombie revenge

id buy the dc version of soul reaver too. and if they could finish and release that version of chakan they were woring on thatd be great too.

I remember you saying early on that imports weren't allowable, which would knock Cool Cool Toon off your DC list. Just a heads-up :)

(Also, it's "Lodoss War", not "Lodoss Wars". Seems to be a common mistake!)

[quote name='blueshinra']I remember you saying early on that imports weren't allowable, which would knock Cool Cool Toon off your DC list. Just a heads-up :)

(Also, it's "Lodoss War", not "Lodoss Wars". Seems to be a common mistake!)[/QUOTE]

Ill take Cool Cool toon off the list then. There are going to be some games that sneak through like that till I go to play them. Its just too hard not to miss some since people are still suggesting imports and because far too many sites I am using to try and create these lists put imports up as well. Thanks for the continued help!

[quote name='looploop']Jet Set Radio Future is on Xbox, not DC.
also, MDK2 should be there.[/QUOTE]

As I stated in the post MANY DC games were ported to other systems so many missing are on my multi console release list(MDK being one). I appreciate you naming it though since there could totally be stuff that's multi console and I missed.

What do you guys think of Ducktales, Little Nemo, Chip and Dales and Sly Cooper? These games have been suggested by numerous people and I totally understand why...they are some of the best games ever and they are indeed under appreciated by much of the gaming community. However, they are far from underplayed, many many many of us play and love them. I have just been wracking my brain on if these games deserve to be on the list or not.

Xexyz for NES. I don't know why I was the only kid in my neighborhood who had this one, but it was one of the best platformers I've ever played.

Here is the GBA list! Again I am looking for games that do not deserve to be on the list(both too popular and quality lacking)as well as games that are not on the list and you feel should be. On the progress end I completed 5 or so writings for DS and PS2 games, almost finished with Retro Game Challange and plan on busting out several NES games today. I also hope to manage to get the site up this weekend. From that point on I will always put up at least 3 new games every week, but I hope to do far more then that most weeks.

Action Man: Robot Atak
Alien Hominid
Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Backyard Baseball
Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
Banjo-Pilot
Bionicle Heroes
Blender Bros.
Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django
Boktai: The Sun Is in Your Hand
Boulder Dash EX
Boxing Fever