The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

SPECIAL NOTE (B1G1 free on $14.99 and under used games through August 4th):
All used games under $14.99 are buy one get one free through August 4th NOW OVER.

The second post has games that you may want to trade in to Gamestop to transfer some credit from BB to GS. Unfortunately with the end of the $10 extra promo at Gamestop this is much less useful than before. Some people may have the $15 bonus coupon or want to use the current GS deal (trade 3 get an extra 10%, trade 4 get an extra 20%, trade 5 get an extra 30%) so we'll keep that post going until the B1G1 free ends at Blockbuster.

Even though the B1G1 sale is now over, I'm leaving this info up for a few days for those who bought stuff and still want to trade it in to Gamestop (you have till the 10th there).

SPECIAL NOTE #2 (DS Lite's and new DS games now available at most BB stores!):
Starting just on July 15th, most Blockbuster stores got shipments of DS Lites and a wide assortment of new DS games that they've never had for sale in the past. Titles include NSMB, Professor Layton, Mario Party DS, and High School Musical ;).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are currently taking preorders for NCAA 09, Madden 09, Star Wars Force Unleashed, Fallout 3, Soul Calibur IV, and a few others (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values. I'm going to elaborate on the last sentence as people apparently don't understand that when I say regular BB's have the same trade-in values as Gamerush that it means [hightlight]regular Blockbuster stores accept game trade-ins just like Gamerush stores[/highlight].

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. They just started in mid July selling DS Lites at most stores as well. As a result of not selling used hardware, however, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Both Gamerush and regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for new games for a $5 deposit (or you can pay any other amount beyond that). Gamerush stores will get many more games in than the regular stores but unfortunately a preorder at either place is not a guarantee you will get the game. Sometimes they do not get certain titles in even if you preorder them months in advance.

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by many regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Guitar Hero On Tour
High School Musical
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Party DS
My Fashion Designer
My Weight Loss Coach
NSMB
Professor Layton
Zoo Tycoon 2
(and a bunch of other older titles they just got in on July 15th)

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Lost Planet Colonies Edition
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Blast Works
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Rock Band bundle
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Wall-E
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='devildr1ver']noob question, does BBV/Gamerush accept disc only's?[/quote]

Mine does, but i think it depends on location.

[quote name='ralph10']The possibilities!
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188982[/quote]

I think it's safe to say just about everyone in this thread knows about the coupon, haha. Thanks for reminding me to seriously need to invest in a color printer btw. I vaguely recall someone saying that GS will accept B&W but it's probably YMMV and I don't want to have come up with a story every single time I walk into a store.

Seriously appreciate the TIVs Full Metal. Real nice.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I think it's safe to say just about everyone in this thread knows about the coupon, haha. Thanks for reminding me to seriously need to invest in a color printer btw. I vaguely recall someone saying that GS will accept B&W but it's probably YMMV and I don't want to have come up with a story every single time I walk into a store.

Seriously appreciate the TIVs Full Metal. Real nice.[/quote]

It's not YMMV on b&w coupons.... they're email coupons.... not everyone has a color printer..... so...... yeah.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I think it's safe to say just about everyone in this thread knows about the coupon, haha. Thanks for reminding me to seriously need to invest in a color printer btw. I vaguely recall someone saying that GS will accept B&W but it's probably YMMV and I don't want to have come up with a story every single time I walk into a store.

Just tell them you got it in your e-mail....P.S. I got a color printer at wal mart for $30, I just get a new one when the ink cart runs out.

Just got back from a buncha Gamestop & Blockbusters:

360 -
Blacksite Area 51 - $19 (Misstagged for $12.75 at GS after coupon, should normally be $30 used)
Condemend 2 & Viking: Battle For Assguard $32 ($17.54 at GS)
Fatal Inertia - $32 ($16~ at GS)
Sega Superstars Tennis - $25 ($12.75 at GS)

Well, my manager buddy was kind of surprised when I came to collect on his 'trade all your copies here' offer. He would only take in 3 copies of a game today. He said to come back tomorrow and he'd take the rest. Ah well, at least he's letting me trade that many with no issues.

Just got back from my daily bike ride. Passed by GS and bought HC:BftP($16.24 before taxes) and traded it in for $25 at BBV. Not that great, but it's still good. Stupid GS didn't have Viking: battle for asgard used in stock which kind of pissed me off. Their website clearly told me that one was in stock... Funny thing is, that ONE they should have had in stock was my friends. He traded it in two weeks after he bought the game for $60. Good times...

The cashier at BBV also screwed up big time on my trade-in today. He ended up charging my gift card $25 instead of giving me $25... That's always nice. I got all my money back, but it's still a big mess up.

E-mail coupons are not YMMV. All Gamestops accept them. I actually print mine in Black and White since I don't feel like wasting color ink(Not that I've bought any in the past 2 years =P)

Edit - Almost forgot to post this. While I was in my GS looking for Viking(it could have gotten misplaced on the rack) I spotted a BBV sticker on one of the games. It was F4 for the 360. The sticker was one of Blockbusters price tag stickers. Someone bought that game for $24.99 at BB and traded it in at Gamestop... He's kind of doing the opposite of what he should have done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful. Thanks guys. I can print out a bunch at the library for chump change and buy a cheap printer afterward. :D I just hope this deal starts here in Ohio. I've got six BBs within a reasonable driving distance and have confirmed two will trade. Here's hoping I actually make money this time instead of losing it. >_>

how fast do TIV's usually drop at GS? My BB's only have a few friend or foes, spidey 3s and Virtua Tennis 3 left. These are the ones that only seem to be holding a base value of at least $5.

[quote name='CaoPi']how fast do TIV's usually drop at GS? My BB's only have a few friend or foes, spidey 3s and Virtua Tennis 3 left. These are the ones that only seem to be holding a base value of at least $5.[/quote]

FOF's value dropped on the 1st. I think it'll stay at $5 for quite a bit more time. Spiderman 3 is due for a drop if you ask me and VT3 should hold.

Traded in a copy of Fantastic Four Wii that I bought at GS. It wouldn't scan like others have reported. But she looked it up manually and gave me $30 for it.

Okay, I hate when people do this, but I really need to figure out some quick flips to get my GR credit up to buy a PS3.

What games are cheap at other stores right now and will help me boost my GR credit over $400... It is currently at $325.

[quote name='mvp828']Okay, I hate when people do this, but I really need to figure out some quick flips to get my GR credit up to buy a PS3.

What games are cheap at other stores right now and will help me boost my GR credit over $400... It is currently at $325.[/quote]

3 copies of fantastic 4 wii from toys r us (12 dollars---->90 store credit)
WIth the new coupon at GS, there are a couple of solid flips that are posted on the previous page.

[quote name='mvp828']Okay, I hate when people do this, but I really need to figure out some quick flips to get my GR credit up to buy a PS3.

What games are cheap at other stores right now and will help me boost my GR credit over $400... It is currently at $325.[/QUOTE]

TRU:
Fantastic Four Wii $5 --> $30

GS:
Fantastic Four Wii $16 (after edge) -->$30
Condemned 2 360 $18 (after coupon/edge) -->$32
Viking 360 $18 (after coupon/edge) -->$32
Fatal Inertia 360 $16 (after coupon/edge) -->$32
Sega Superstar Tennis 360 $13 (after coupon/edge) -->$25

[quote name='djkunai']Berserker, where's your area?[/quote]

Tampa, FL. Thousands of miles from you, which is good because I don't think we'd mesh too well as far as hoarding goes.

I when i flip the rest of my F4's ill try to get a list of the 14.99 and under games. I don't know about all this GS-->BB talk is about (esp when it even isn't a 2x ratio) but we need to start focusing on transferring BB-->GS.

[quote name='luan87us']Super monkey ball ($5 at TRU) and i belive you get 16$ for it at bbv. Fatal Inertia also net you 2x @ 32$ TIV.[/quote]

Super Monkey ball, is only a $9 TIV.

on the monkey ball, check local mom and pop stores, I recieved $15 cash for 2 copies from a local mom and pop because they don't get many new games in and Wii games sell like mad.

I just got back from BBV(got my Wii today, WOOT)

Some trade values

Guitar hero II(PS2) $16(not bad for getting a new 360 GH2 bundle for $20!!)
Ace combat 4(PS2) - $2.5
Sonic Mega Collection plus(PS2) - $6
DDR2MAX(PS2) - $6
Halo 3 is still $25
that is all i remember.

there is for some reason a shortage of used copies of condemned 2 and viking in my area...just my luck...its coo though...i still got HC:BftP...

is SST (PS3) still 19.99? When I went in the person said the sale ended, but I looked online and it says its still 19.99...

this is bad, I bought all 4 Fantastic Fours for Wii already at GS and coverted all of the to BBV. With TIV's dropping I'm still debating if I should quicky buy from GS or wait for a buy 2 get 1 free or new coupon deal...

[quote name='judgeTurpin']there is for some reason a shortage of used copies of condemned 2 and viking in my area...just my luck...its coo though...i still got HC:BftP...[/quote]

Same here. I got one copy of HC and that's all I could find at my local GS. No Condemned 2's around here. Closest one is 20+ minutes away. Not worth it. There is Viking though, but I'll have to go to the mall for that one. Was going to go to the mall today or tomorrow anyway, so I might go pick that one up.

Might actually shop this sale. Time to pick up Crackdown again and maybe Sega Rally Revo. Wish there were more ps3 eligible games. Virtua Fighter 5 climbed to 16.99 before sale.

[quote name='Poor2More']Farcry predator 360 is $18 at Blockbuster? WTF I traded in 3 copies aat Gamestop for $10 after bonus each[/QUOTE]

The TIV is $18? Where do you see that at?

EDIT: Do you mean $8 for the game + $10 for the pair bonus?

Today trade in:

Devil May Cry 4 - PS3 - 33
History Channel - Battle for the pacific PS3 - 30
NBA Ballers - PS3 - 23
Don King Presents: Prizefighter - 35 Xbox 360

[quote name='Poor2More']Farcry predator 360 is $18 at Blockbuster? WTF I traded in 3 copies aat Gamestop for $10 after bonus each[/quote]

where'd you get that from? do you mean the bbv/gr TIV for farcry is 18?

I called a few bb's and here are the trade in values:

Ps3:
dark kingdom $13 ($5 at sears)
harry potter $16 ($10 at gamestop new, gameday sale)

Xbox 360:
smackdown vs. raw 07 $6
moto gp 07 $8

Traded in Perfect Dark Zero LE for 6 and Fantastic 4 for 30.

Picked up some used DVDs and convinced the manager to sell me their rental copy of Pikmin 2 for 14.99. He was hesitant, but once he noticed it was for GC, he went for it since it was an old game. I could have rented it and just kept it, but this way I didnt have to pay the rental fee, got the case and was able to just be up front with my intentions.

I added a small list of GS->BB transfers under the BB->GS transfers in the OP. I need to head into a particular GS this evening (to take care of an old preorder) and I see they have Fatal Inertia in stock. So if I can, I'll snag that and take it to the neighboring BB while I'm taking care of my other business ;).

Feels good to be flipping again, spent $65ish GScredit/cash in three quick stops today, holiday everything closed at 7 or 6 in the mall though... Doubled that at the first BB I came to. Kinda sucks that most flip games are scarce, all the stores I hit have multiple history channels but that's a worst case scenario. Hoping for Fatal Inertia or F4 i've yet to see a single copy of those.... Sega Tennis and Viking I bought the only ones of each I seen...... Found one store with a metric ass ton of Condemned 2 $18.50 -> $34 is more my style. I'm gonna go get a few more tomorrow one to trade and one to play at the least, hopefully i'll finish it rather quickly.... 2 more local stores to hit tomorrow... I love having so many so close together, if i'm feeling really froggy I can always head on up the way to a few more relatively close... :D

I'm getting a care package together to send my mom so they half price DS system is gonna come in VERY handy.

Oh yea and most importantly every GS I hit was packed and I was handing out 25% off 360 coupons. LOL screw you evil empire and made a couple kids very happy to save enough to get another game.

The people at my BB might be catching on soon. I've bought 2 Spiderman 3's and 2 Spiderman: FOF's. They must be like what the hell is this guy doing?

$24.xx BB credit > $25.xx GS credit

I really want that B1G1 to hit soon. I want to abuse this $15 coupon some more, but if Spiderman 3 drops, I won't be able to. Also, the GS employee that took my games in started reading the coupon and as soon as he did I started thinking "Damnit. He's going to read that no duplicates part." To my surprise, he stopped reading it, but then he started again. Seemed like he was just trying to find the exp. date.

Sucks. All three of my local GS stores had Condemned 2 and Viking yesterday --- today all three had been picked over when I got there. So no good flips for me (The one store that had Fatal Inertia was gone as well).

Has anyone had a problem using the $15 GS coupon? Also did you guys resize it or just copy the picture into word? Man all these questions I feel like a noob, but I just wanna be ready to ditch my 400 in BBV credit :)

[quote name='DarkRider23']The people at my BB might be catching on soon. I've bought 2 Spiderman 3's and 2 Spiderman: FOF's. They must be like what the hell is this guy doing?

$24.xx BB credit > $25.xx GS credit

I really want that B1G1 to hit soon. I want to abuse this $15 coupon some more, but if Spiderman 3 drops, I won't be able to. Also, the GS employee that took my games in started reading the coupon and as soon as he did I started thinking "Damnit. He's going to read that no duplicates part." To my surprise, he stopped reading it, but then he started again. Seemed like he was just trying to find the exp. date.[/quote]

Why would they care? You are clearing out their dead stock... Every GR I go to has multiple copies of EVERYTHING they just glad to get rid of them and at full price since you are not waiting for the sale. I've got my eye a few things I want to pick up for myself first then i'll help clear their stock and take it to GS :lol:

If ANYONE asks and you feel funny say they are for nephews or something. One guy at my GS always asks me why i'm buying multiples and I always tell him because I can... He looks at me snooty and shuts up, hahah I don't care for the guy..

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Has anyone had a problem using the $15 GS coupon? Also did you guys resize it or just copy the picture into word? Man all these questions I feel like a noob, but I just wanna be ready to ditch my 400 in BBV credit :)[/quote]

No problems so far, but I haven't had a manager ring me up while I'm using the coupon yet. I've had other employees which probably didn't care. I don't see me getting any problems soon though.

[quote name='$hady']Why would they care? You are clearing out their dead stock... Every GR I go to has multiple copies of EVERYTHING they just glad to get rid of them and at full price since you are not waiting for the sale. I've got my eye a few things I want to pick up for myself first then i'll help clear their stock and take it to GS :lol:

If ANYONE asks and you feel funny say they are for nephews or something. One guy at my GS always asks me why i'm buying multiples and I always tell him because I can... He looks at me snooty and shuts up, hahah I don't care for the guy..[/quote]

I know they won't care, but it still feels kind of weird. Don't want the manager to catch on or anything. He's a cool guy and he's been helping me get my trade account to actually work at his store. Good news is that he's going to ring me up manually from now on. That means that BB will never have a record of what I've been trading there ;).

And I just checked the GS website. The GS I usually visit every morning just got a Condemned 2 used in stock. New trade for tomorrow :). I'm trying to stick to 1-2 trades of any game per day and so far it's working quite well.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Good news is that he's going to ring me up manually from now on. That means that BB will never have a record of what I've been trading there ;).[/quote]

Bad news is if he's the only one who is ringing you up he's gonna see a pattern if you get into multiples. Everyone started small 1 of this one of that, slowly you develop a sickness. GR is like crabs, how do you feel about crabs? Are you prepared to itch? EDIT: :lol: and i see you edited and already have the multiples itch develping.

If you still feel weird when you take a stack of multiples to the counter be like wow my nephews are gonna LOVE me for these.... Or something to ease your mind lol.

[quote name='$hady']Bad news is if he's the only one who is ringing you up he's gonna see a pattern if you get into multiples. Everyone started small 1 of this one of that, slowly you develop a sickness. GR is like crabs, how do you feel about crabs? Are you prepared to itch? EDIT: :lol: and i see you edited and already have the multiples itch develping.

If you still feel weird when you take a stack of multiples to the counter be like wow my nephews are gonna LOVE me for these.... Or something to ease your mind lol.[/quote]

I think he's going to be training some other employees for trading in games. I'm the only person who evers trades in games there too. I don't plan on trading in multiples of any game though. I haven't traded in a multiple of ANY game yet. I might start doing it, but I don't know yet.

I like that little white lie though. Seems almost good enough to work. The most awkward thing is that the people who work there are people that I know from HS...

I always feel awkward when I need to make up some white lie like that. At one of my BBs, I'm one of the only ones who ever trades in. The manager had to do the trade last week and afterwards said "Whoa, you have $180 in credit! That's a lot!" I quickly told him I was saving up to buy a 360 for my brother's high school graduation. I just hope it stopped him from doing any junior detective work. I guess I'll find out sometime this week.

if I have a blockbuster that doesn't have a gamerush, what could I use the credit on besides DVD's and used games?

what if i want a new game that just came out? AKA, do they sell Recent games at blockbuster yet?

last time i did this, it was stupid, but i rented the game and i told them to just charge me for it, so it came out as full price + the $7 rental fee...stupid move i know, but i had a lot of credit at the time

also, does anyone know if Blitz the league (360) still trades for $15, pgr3 for $8, monster madness for $8, and ridge racer for $9?

i would think they would be lower by now though

[quote name='swetooth9']if I have a blockbuster that doesn't have a gamerush, what could I use the credit on besides DVD's and used games?
New games? Walk into your local BB and look at the new games they sell.
what if i want a new game that just came out?

last time i did this, it was stupid, but i rented the game and i told them to just charge me for it, so it came out as full price + the $7 rental fee...stupid move i know, but i had a lot of credit at the time

also, does anyone know if Blitz the league (360) still trades for $15, pgr3 for $8, monster madness for $8, and ridge racer for $9?
Your local BB does. Call them.
i would think they would be lower by now though[/quote]

Answers are bolded.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Answers are bolded.[/quote]

oh they sell new games now? i havent been to a BB in a year or so, and the last time i went they didn't sell any Recent titles...only like Greatest Hits titles and platinum hits titles...

will do though

do they keep track of which games you trade in?

like, if i don't trade multiples to the same store, will they be alarmed if i trade in my multiples at different stores? or will that raise a red flag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back