The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Game of the Year Edition...fun tax?

WhipSmartBanky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
What's the fun tax on this game?

I'm just getting around to playing this one, and I want to love it as much as my friends did, but I'm finding it extremely difficult to get into.

Any pointers, starters, encouragement?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']What's the fun tax on this game?

I'm just getting around to playing this one, and I want to love it as much as my friends did, but I'm finding it extremely difficult to get into.

Any pointers, starters, encouragement?[/QUOTE]

Read read read.

Don't skip through any of the NPC dialogue unless you are 100% it's a repeat of something you read earlier. Alot of the time they have info on side quests or interesting info regarding history on Vvardenfell.

Other then that, just stick with it. About a week in everything should just click.

I still have a sealed copy myself. I'm sort of waiting for the right time to play it. I heard the game is slow-paced

the game starts off fairly slowly, and its a US style rpg, meaning its completely non linear, so you can easily become confused about what to do, or where to go next. I suggest that you give it a good long try tho. It took me about 12-15 hours before I finally got enough cash and decent gear that I wasnt being killed by every rat and slug roaming around the wilderness. Once I got past the early stages, the game really picked up for me, both in pacing and funfactor.

I played it for a really long time doing side quests and completing the main quest. Then, I killed someone that was a main quest NPC. Did not think about it and saved over my game. Long story short, don't do that if you have any inclination to want to finish the game to get the ending.

Myself, I just play the Elder Scrolls games to mess around doing random stuff. I hardly ever do the main quests in them anymore.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I've also learned that if I hit Start to pause...do NOT hit Start again to unpause - hit the B button to back out.

*grumble*[/QUOTE]

Don't pause that way, just press B(?) and bring up your inventory. It pauses the game :)

I remember when I first bought this game, I HATED it. I was like, why are so many people obsessed with this game? I forced myself to play it, and about 9 hours in, I realized I couldn't stop playing. It's gets better, and better. Save often, and use multiple save files!!!

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I remember when I first bought this game, I HATED it. I was like, why are so many people obsessed with this game? I forced myself to play it, and about 9 hours in, I realized I couldn't stop playing. It's gets better, and better. Save often, and use multiple save files!!![/quote]

I had the exact same experience. I hated it at first, but then got into it a few years later.

Oblivion is much more user-friendly.

Read read read.

Don't skip through any of the NPC dialogue unless you are 100% it's a repeat of something you read earlier. Alot of the time they have info on side quests or interesting info regarding history on Vvardenfell.

Best tip for Morrowind ever. The quest log in the game is really vague as well, so it's important to take note of the weirdy names used.

Morrowind is one of my favorite games ever. Here are my suggestions:

1) Buy the game guide. Yes, I know, most games you don't need the guide. But, even with Gamefaqs, the maps alone will help you finding locations (it can prevent walking around in a general area for hours). Also, the guide does a lot to dig into the deeper storyline. Morrowind actually has probably the deepest story on the Xbox. But, you're likely to miss 95% of it if you don't know what your looking for. It also gives some nice hints you can do early if your getting your ass handed to you.

2) Make the right sort of character for you. Pick the skills your interested in, but make sure you have at least 1 weapn skill (maybe 2) on your list of major/minor skills.

3) Know what your getting. Morrowind is an RPG with some unique conventions. Because of this, know early on that you won't hit a rat every time if you swing at it. People get fustrated by this, but it's part of the game. If you accept these conventions, it goes a long way.

4) Multiple save files are a must. I'd keep at least 1 every 5 hours or so of the game, and when you save, always save as a new file (then delete old ones). For whatever reason, this helps some of the bugginess.

5) Don't needlessly kill. Yeah, you can do it, and it's fun (if you must, kill, then reboot your game), but you never know who you'll need. Killing anyone can close a door for you later, and you'll only get a message if you kill someone from the main quest.

You really need to take your time with the game. Experiencing the world and getting stronger is really the point of the game. I probably put 200 hours into the game without ever beating the main quest (bugs in the game prevented me from doing it). Morrowind also has issues (crashing, bugs, etc) that I can see ruining the experience for other people, though I always looked past them since there was nothing like this game.

One last note, after a few plays, pop in a few different Xbox games and boot them up. That will help to clear the cache, and your game should run smoother for a little while.

Like Lordxixor101 said, definitely get the game guide. It's a friggin life saver. Esp with the maps.
It's actually well written too, and is pretty funny at times.

[quote name='lordxixor101']Morrowind is one of my favorite games ever. Here are my suggestions:

1) Buy the game guide. Yes, I know, most games you don't need the guide. But, even with Gamefaqs, the maps alone will help you finding locations (it can prevent walking around in a general area for hours). Also, the guide does a lot to dig into the deeper storyline. Morrowind actually has probably the deepest story on the Xbox. But, you're likely to miss 95% of it if you don't know what your looking for. It also gives some nice hints you can do early if your getting your ass handed to you.

2) Make the right sort of character for you. Pick the skills your interested in, but make sure you have at least 1 weapn skill (maybe 2) on your list of major/minor skills.

3) Know what your getting. Morrowind is an RPG with some unique conventions. Because of this, know early on that you won't hit a rat every time if you swing at it. People get fustrated by this, but it's part of the game. If you accept these conventions, it goes a long way.

4) Multiple save files are a must. I'd keep at least 1 every 5 hours or so of the game, and when you save, always save as a new file (then delete old ones). For whatever reason, this helps some of the bugginess.

5) Don't needlessly kill. Yeah, you can do it, and it's fun (if you must, kill, then reboot your game), but you never know who you'll need. Killing anyone can close a door for you later, and you'll only get a message if you kill someone from the main quest.

You really need to take your time with the game. Experiencing the world and getting stronger is really the point of the game. I probably put 200 hours into the game without ever beating the main quest (bugs in the game prevented me from doing it). Morrowind also has issues (crashing, bugs, etc) that I can see ruining the experience for other people, though I always looked past them since there was nothing like this game.

One last note, after a few plays, pop in a few different Xbox games and boot them up. That will help to clear the cache, and your game should run smoother for a little while.[/QUOTE]
Wow...nice! Thanks for the guide suggestions too...I'll have to see about tracking one of these down. I doubt outside of eBay it's going to be simple or cheap considering the age of the game now.

So true. Even with GameFAQs I still spent at least several hours wandering around looking for locations. If I felt hopeless I would move on to a different quest that I thought I had a better chance of locating.

My biggest gripe with the game is how slowly you walk, and how aiming
accurately with the bow doesn't necessarily mean hitting.

Yes, multiple save files, although I would save the game once every hour.

You missed out! The main quest is really good.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']My friend directed me to this page...seems really useful and knocks down some of the intimidation factor.[/quote]
I use UESPWiki a ton. Very good site.

[quote name='espy605']The game is really that expansive. You make me want to buy the guide now.[/quote]

It's pretty frickin big, to say the least. Nowhere NEAR as big as Daggerfall, but, then again, what is?

It's pretty frickin big, to say the least. Nowhere NEAR as big as Daggerfall, but, then again, what is?

Morrowind was my first Elder Scrolls game. Are 1 and 2 worth playing? They're 2D though aren't they?

[quote name='espy605']Morrowind was my first Elder Scrolls game. Are 1 and 2 worth playing? They're 2D though aren't they?[/quote]
Honestly, I couldn't get into Arena much, but Daggerfall is great, if you feel like walking for 3 days just go get to your destination :lol:

And yes, they are 2D.

Walking forever was my least favorite part of Morrowind, so I'll pass. I do love old Sierra/LucasArts 2D adventure games, though.

[quote name='espy605']Walking forever was my least favorite part of Morrowind, so I'll pass. I do love old Sierra/LucasArts 2D adventure games, though.[/quote]
Well, if you thought the walking in Morrowind was bad, that games only 6 square miles. Daggerfall is supposedly 161.000!

[quote name='wikipedia']Daggerfall is the largest Elder Scrolls game to date, featuring a game world estimated as being 161,600 square miles — roughly twice the size of Great Britain — with over 15,000 towns, cities, villages, and dungeons for the player's character to explore. According to Todd Howard, Elder Scrolls programmer, the game's sequel, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is 0.01 percent the size of Daggerfall. Vvardenfell, the explorable part of the province of Morrowind in the third game has 6 square miles. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has approximately 16 square miles to explore. In Daggerfall, there are 750,000+ non-player characters (NPCs) for the player to interact with, compared to the count of around 1000 NPCs found in Morrowind and Oblivion. It should be pointed out that the geography and the characters in these later games is much more detailed.[/quote]

I just bought the game yesterday for 999 new at FYE. MAAAAN does it suck. how can you guys stand it? You can't tell any place apart, the map is useless, menus are CRAP. graphics suck. nothing good about it.

Man I'm just going to have to wait till fable two. Fable Is a really awesome game.

I don't understand how Oblivion si 16 square miles vs Morrowind's 6. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since I would guess (from playing both) that Morrowind was actually bigger, not only about 40% the size of Oblivion.

I'd love to know how they calculated that.

Hatin' on you;2636400 said:
I just bought the game yesterday for 999 new at FYE. MAAAAN does it suck. how can you guys stand it? You can't tell any place apart, the map is useless, menus are CRAP. graphics suck. nothing good about it.

Man I'm just going to have to wait till fable two. Fable Is a really awesome game.

No. Just...just no.

Hatin' on you;2636400 said:

That last line makes me think this is a total joke. Anyway, I really hope this game becomes backwards compatible someday.

Well, if you thought the walking in Morrowind was bad, that games only 6 square miles. Daggerfall is supposedly 161.000!

I bet you walked much faster in Daggerfall. In Morrowind it felt like you were moving in molasses for most of the game.

[quote name='espy605']I bet you walked much faster in Daggerfall. In Morrowind it felt like you were moving in molasses for most of the game.[/quote]

Level up your Athletics, Speed, and maybe Acrobatics, if you like to jump around. ;)

I did, towards the end I admit I was moving fast, but in the wilderness, it still seems slow when you're looking for some tomb or mine in the middle of nowhere.

[quote name='espy605']I did, towards the end I admit I was moving fast, but in the wilderness, it still seems slow when you're looking for some tomb or mine in the middle of nowhere.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think it's suppose to feel slow in this part, for better or for worse. I think Bethesda went out of their way to hide what your suppose to do for parts of the game. So, half the fun is suppose to be finding the spot. I was annoyed by this too (at points), but it is what it is. It's one of those things that really makes Morrowind one of (if not the ultimate) love/hate game.

I just got this game for free used with EB's buy 2 xbox games get 1 free special and even though I don't understand anything about RPGs (I played both Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and had absolutely no idea what the heck all those HP etc. numbers meant :lol:, but I still had fun with them)...

[quote name='angrywolf']I just got this game for free used with EB's buy 2 xbox games get 1 free special and even though I don't understand anything about RPGs (I played both Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and had absolutely no idea what the heck all those HP etc. numbers meant :lol:, but I still had fun with them)...[/QUOTE]

Don't feel too bad, I think KOTOR threw a lot of stuff at you that you really didnt' need to know. I had trouble understanding a lot of it too. From the best I could gather, KOTOR had behind the scenes action that was similar to Dungeons and Dragons. So, I think most of it was for people that understood it. If you didn't, you could ignore it and be ok.

Morrowind really isn't anything like KOTOR. It's a great game. I put some suggestions (I think on the first page of this thread, if not then on a different threat in this forum) that are worth looking through before you play. That way, at least you know what your getting when you go in, so some little things don't annoy you too much.

[quote name='lordxixor101']Don't feel too bad, I think KOTOR threw a lot of stuff at you that you really didnt' need to know. I had trouble understanding a lot of it too. From the best I could gather, KOTOR had behind the scenes action that was similar to Dungeons and Dragons. So, I think most of it was for people that understood it. If you didn't, you could ignore it and be ok.

Morrowind really isn't anything like KOTOR. It's a great game. I put some suggestions (I think on the first page of this thread, if not then on a different threat in this forum) that are worth looking through before you play. That way, at least you know what your getting when you go in, so some little things don't annoy you too much.[/quote]

That's what I figured. Thanks, I'll look into it so I know what I'm getting myself into, I got this game after I heard people talking about how great it was.

bread's done
Back