The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11/11/11

I played through the game a second time to get the rest of the achievements when the magic/bow killcam was introduced, and I thought I was done until DLC comes out, but they've dragged me back once again. Really cool update, something that I wish was done in 2006 with Oblivion, glad they could finally make it happen.

Am I the only one who thinks mounted combat could very be awkward and clunky? Moving, aiming bows and swinging weapons could be difficult to handle in reality.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Am I the only one who thinks mounted combat could very be awkward and clunky? Moving, aiming bows and swinging weapons could be difficult to handle in reality.[/QUOTE]

I just imagine it will be like bow and arrow in Ocarina of Time

[quote name='saunderscowie']YES! My dark brotherhood glitched mission has finally been fixed![/QUOTE]
Did they fix the missing dark brotherhood horse?

Dawnguard Trailer woo! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PjBSicSVqI&feature=youtu.be

Also, this
Abraham-Lincoln-Vampire-Hunter6.jpg

Out...stand...ing. Spot the Elder Scroll on his back at about :10-:13. There was a video on Youtube called "future possibly DLC and Mods" or something like that for Skyrim and it had footage of mounted combat, that evolved vampire flying around and plenty of other stuff.

I don't remember how old it is, but it had actual footage of those things long before DLC was even announced. Suspicious...

Looks good.

Not day one for me since I just started the game up a couple weeks back and haven't scratched the surface yet. Finished the companions and mage's college quest lines, but haven't touched the others and only done 3 or so main story quests. Have done a ton of Misc. quests though.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Out...stand...ing. Spot the Elder Scroll on his back at about :10-:13. There was a video on Youtube called "future possibly DLC and Mods" or something like that for Skyrim and it had footage of mounted combat, that evolved vampire flying around and plenty of other stuff.

I don't remember how old it is, but it had actual footage of those things long before DLC was even announced. Suspicious...[/QUOTE]

That was the Skyrim Game Jam. In Dec. they had all their programmers spend their workweek messing w/ the Skyrim engine to see what they could do with it. That's the basis for the new vampires, mounted combat, Kinect shouts, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm scared about all the content this game has to offer. Still haven't finished Oblivion, and now I've started The Witcher 2. My backlog is huge.

I really hope that the next console is backwards-compatible...

The trailer looks awesome. I'll probably just keep my vanilla copy of the game and enjoy it until the inevitable GOTY version drops to $30 somewhere down the line. Or I'll cave in and buy it right away. Depends on what else I've got going on at the time I suppose.

[quote name='Halo05']The trailer looks awesome. I'll probably just keep my vanilla copy of the game and enjoy it until the inevitable GOTY version drops to $30 somewhere down the line. Or I'll cave in and buy it right away. Depends on what else I've got going on at the time I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Given how Besthesda has a few more of these kind of expansion length DLCs planned, and how long it took to develop this one, it could well take a few more years before that happens.

Which is really what gives me pause in terms of trying to wait out a GOTY version.

I have the game on 360 now, I'd like to get the GOTY version on PS3 to (sadly) max out trophies/cheevos. Then again, I don't really want to play through some of the story dungeons again throughout Skyrim. Some of my happiest moments were simply sneaking into bandit forts and secretly slaying the population.

Perhaps I should just buy the DLC on 360 piece by piece and be happy with that.

[quote name='shieryda']I'm scared about all the content this game has to offer. Still haven't finished Oblivion, and now I've started The Witcher 2. My backlog is huge.

I really hope that the next console is backwards-compatible...[/QUOTE]

Or just work through your backlog through early next gen and buy a new console after the first price drop.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Or just work through your backlog through early next gen and buy a new console after the first price drop.[/QUOTE]

Most reasonable option. I'm usually a gen. or 2 behind, anyways.:D

[quote name='Sistros']I hope I get selected. It hurts to spend 1600 MS points on a single purchase.[/QUOTE]

Yes, yet we will all do it. :)

I signed up also. I wonder if you
kill the Dark Brotherhood instead of joining them
if that counts as "completing" the quest or not in terms of their beta signup questions.

Found this at Reddit:

Two Paths
The story of Dawnguard involves the return of a vampire lord named Harkon, who seeks to put a stop to his greatest enemy: the sun. Harkon intend to use the untold power in the ancient Elder Scrolls to accomplish his goal, while an order of vampire hunters (the titular Dawnguard) hopes to stop him. The conflict puts players in a position to choose sides; fighting alongside the Dawnguard to defeat Harkon is one option, but you can also join forces with the undead and expand your own vampiric powers. Like the civil war quests in the base game, your choice changes the quests you undertake. "We present players with both sides of the storyline pretty early in the DLC," says lead artist Matt Carofano. "There is a lot of unique content depending on which side you choose."

New Homes
Regardless of who you side with, your choice gives you access to one of two new homes in Skyrim. Teaming up with the vampires opens up Castle Volkihar, an appropriately gloomy and intimidating island stronghold. Fort Dawnguard, a keep surrounded by trees and rocks, will be your base if you oppose Harkon. These fortresses aren't just new places to sleep - they have other bonuses too. "Each fort will provide the player with unique benefits," says Carofano. "The Dawnguard will have new weapons and armor to fight vampires, including crossbows. The vampires can grant the player bonuses to vampiric powers and give blood potions, which heal and count towards feeding."

Transformation
As a payoff for your loyalty to the vampires' cause, you can become a vampire lord - the paragon of the vile species. Like the werewolf power gained during your quests for the Companions, assuming the mantle of a vampire lord is a transformation. While you are a vampire lord, you have access to new powers but still pay a price. Townspeople will attack a vampire lord on sight, though this no longer happens if you are just a "regular" vampire. Players can exit the vampire form at will, unlike the werewolf transformation.

The Perks of Power
In the base game, the advantages of being a vampire are negligible when compared to the drawbacks. Dawnguard evens out that equation, giving vampire lords addiational powers rooted in their ghastly new form. One ability, vampiric grip, suspends an enemy in the air with telekinesis as you drain its health. Other powers include hovering about the ground and turning into a swarm of bats.
To balance out this expansion of vampire capabilities, werewolves are getting their own unique perk tree, complete with abilities with names like "animal vigor" and "savage feeding." one power, called "totem of the moon," lets players summon ally werewolves in a howl.
Just as in the base game, you can either be a werewolf or a vampire, but you can't be both. In either case, you earn new perks by engaging in the appropriate beastly activities. By killing foes with your powers, you can continue to learn new vampire or werewolf skills. This approach means that all players can see what these forms offer, despite the fact that gaining standard perks might be difficult (or impossible) for high level characters.

More Dragons
Vampires are the focus of the Dawnguard DLC, but the most terrifying enemies from the base game are also getting some extra attention. Legendary dragons are new high-level beasts that are even more challenging than the ancient-class dragons that powerful characters currently encounter. Bethesda wouldn't clarify what exactly makes these foes difficult - they may require different tactics, or they may simply have more hit points than other dragons.
In addition to legendary dragons, players will also encounter new breeds of enemies like gargoyles, death hounds, and armored trolls.

Back to Oblivion
Your quests for the Dawnguard or the vampires will take you to several new locations, and one of them is a plane of Oblivion - the plane players traveled to multiple times in the Elder Scrolls IV. Unlike the fiery fields of that of that game, Dawnguard's piece of Oblivion has a ghostly, ethereal visual style. Dubbed Soul Cairn, this haunting realm of trapped souls offers a change of scenery from the stark, Nordic surroundings of Skyrim.

The New Archery
Instead of relying on a bow for your ranged combat, Dawnguard adds crossbows to your arsenal. "The crossbows have a different feel from bows," says Carofano. " They will remain loaded while running through the world and provide a quicker shot. They are, however, slower to reload. Another benefit is that each shot has a chance to stagger your opponent." All of the perks you spent in archery still apply to crossbows, so your skills with a bow easily transfer to the new weapon.

The Ratway Makeover
"The ability to change your character's face was something that came up often in fan feedback," says Carofano. In response to those requests, Dawnguard adds a character hidden down in the Ratway of Riften who can alter your appearance. Race and gender are still locked, but you can tweak your other facial features in case your hero doesn't look as awesome as you initially thought.

Mounted Combat
Are you sick of feeling helpless on foot? Mounted combat is coming with Dawnguard, allowing players to use their weapons while on horseback. Not only is this a more convenient way to deal with enemies on the road, but it will also give you a chance to try out a new set of Dragonbone weapons - another addition in Dawnguard. Unfortunately, your attacks while mounted are limited to weapons; if you want to cast spells, you still need to dismount

Where to Start
A new base and an array of powers may sound tempting, but new players shouldn't try to tackle Dawnguard as soon as they escape activity. The DLC isn't meant for low-level players. "Dawnguard is designed to work with any characters who are past level 10," says Carofano. Go on some adventures first, learn about shouting, and get some perks in your preferred style of combat before undertaking the quest. When you're ready, listen for rumors about the group of vampire hunters who are recruiting, and ask town guards to steer you in the direction of the Dawnguard.

Keep Shouting
New shouts are also part of the Dawnguard package, letting you continue to expand your mastery of the draconic language. Soul tear is one of the new shouts players can learn, which allows you to steal the soul of a defeated for and raise that foe as an undead minion. While Bethesda wouldn't specify how the new shouts are integrated into the campaign, they are likely tied to Dawnguard's unique locations rather than new word walls popping up across Skyrim.

Giving Xbox an Edge
Dawnguard is coming to the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC, but only Xbox owners get to play it this summer. The DLC is a timed exclusive, meaning the PC and PS3 versions will be released after an undisclosed amount of time has passed. Bethesda took a similar approach with Fallout 3; in that the DLC packs didn't arrive on PS3 until several months after their original release on Xbox 360 and PC. This approach for Skyrim's DLC was announced well before the game released last fall, but considering all of the PS3-specific problems in the base game, playing Skyrim on Sony's console is a losing proposition. At least PC players have the creation kit and mods to keep them busy.

[quote name='Bosamba']Found this at Reddit:

Two Paths
The story of Dawnguard involves the return of a vampire lord named Harkon, who seeks to put a stop to his greatest enemy: the sun. Harkon intend to use the untold power in the ancient Elder Scrolls to accomplish his goal, while an order of vampire hunters (the titular Dawnguard) hopes to stop him. The conflict puts players in a position to choose sides; fighting alongside the Dawnguard to defeat Harkon is one option, but you can also join forces with the undead and expand your own vampiric powers. Like the civil war quests in the base game, your choice changes the quests you undertake. "We present players with both sides of the storyline pretty early in the DLC," says lead artist Matt Carofano. "There is a lot of unique content depending on which side you choose."

New Homes
Regardless of who you side with, your choice gives you access to one of two new homes in Skyrim. Teaming up with the vampires opens up Castle Volkihar, an appropriately gloomy and intimidating island stronghold. Fort Dawnguard, a keep surrounded by trees and rocks, will be your base if you oppose Harkon. These fortresses aren't just new places to sleep - they have other bonuses too. "Each fort will provide the player with unique benefits," says Carofano. "The Dawnguard will have new weapons and armor to fight vampires, including crossbows. The vampires can grant the player bonuses to vampiric powers and give blood potions, which heal and count towards feeding."

Transformation
As a payoff for your loyalty to the vampires' cause, you can become a vampire lord - the paragon of the vile species. Like the werewolf power gained during your quests for the Companions, assuming the mantle of a vampire lord is a transformation. While you are a vampire lord, you have access to new powers but still pay a price. Townspeople will attack a vampire lord on sight, though this no longer happens if you are just a "regular" vampire. Players can exit the vampire form at will, unlike the werewolf transformation.

The Perks of Power
In the base game, the advantages of being a vampire are negligible when compared to the drawbacks. Dawnguard evens out that equation, giving vampire lords addiational powers rooted in their ghastly new form. One ability, vampiric grip, suspends an enemy in the air with telekinesis as you drain its health. Other powers include hovering about the ground and turning into a swarm of bats.
To balance out this expansion of vampire capabilities, werewolves are getting their own unique perk tree, complete with abilities with names like "animal vigor" and "savage feeding." one power, called "totem of the moon," lets players summon ally werewolves in a howl.
Just as in the base game, you can either be a werewolf or a vampire, but you can't be both. In either case, you earn new perks by engaging in the appropriate beastly activities. By killing foes with your powers, you can continue to learn new vampire or werewolf skills. This approach means that all players can see what these forms offer, despite the fact that gaining standard perks might be difficult (or impossible) for high level characters.

More Dragons
Vampires are the focus of the Dawnguard DLC, but the most terrifying enemies from the base game are also getting some extra attention. Legendary dragons are new high-level beasts that are even more challenging than the ancient-class dragons that powerful characters currently encounter. Bethesda wouldn't clarify what exactly makes these foes difficult - they may require different tactics, or they may simply have more hit points than other dragons.
In addition to legendary dragons, players will also encounter new breeds of enemies like gargoyles, death hounds, and armored trolls.

Back to Oblivion
Your quests for the Dawnguard or the vampires will take you to several new locations, and one of them is a plane of Oblivion - the plane players traveled to multiple times in the Elder Scrolls IV. Unlike the fiery fields of that of that game, Dawnguard's piece of Oblivion has a ghostly, ethereal visual style. Dubbed Soul Cairn, this haunting realm of trapped souls offers a change of scenery from the stark, Nordic surroundings of Skyrim.

The New Archery
Instead of relying on a bow for your ranged combat, Dawnguard adds crossbows to your arsenal. "The crossbows have a different feel from bows," says Carofano. " They will remain loaded while running through the world and provide a quicker shot. They are, however, slower to reload. Another benefit is that each shot has a chance to stagger your opponent." All of the perks you spent in archery still apply to crossbows, so your skills with a bow easily transfer to the new weapon.

The Ratway Makeover
"The ability to change your character's face was something that came up often in fan feedback," says Carofano. In response to those requests, Dawnguard adds a character hidden down in the Ratway of Riften who can alter your appearance. Race and gender are still locked, but you can tweak your other facial features in case your hero doesn't look as awesome as you initially thought.

Mounted Combat
Are you sick of feeling helpless on foot? Mounted combat is coming with Dawnguard, allowing players to use their weapons while on horseback. Not only is this a more convenient way to deal with enemies on the road, but it will also give you a chance to try out a new set of Dragonbone weapons - another addition in Dawnguard. Unfortunately, your attacks while mounted are limited to weapons; if you want to cast spells, you still need to dismount

Where to Start
A new base and an array of powers may sound tempting, but new players shouldn't try to tackle Dawnguard as soon as they escape activity. The DLC isn't meant for low-level players. "Dawnguard is designed to work with any characters who are past level 10," says Carofano. Go on some adventures first, learn about shouting, and get some perks in your preferred style of combat before undertaking the quest. When you're ready, listen for rumors about the group of vampire hunters who are recruiting, and ask town guards to steer you in the direction of the Dawnguard.

Keep Shouting
New shouts are also part of the Dawnguard package, letting you continue to expand your mastery of the draconic language. Soul tear is one of the new shouts players can learn, which allows you to steal the soul of a defeated for and raise that foe as an undead minion. While Bethesda wouldn't specify how the new shouts are integrated into the campaign, they are likely tied to Dawnguard's unique locations rather than new word walls popping up across Skyrim.

Giving Xbox an Edge
Dawnguard is coming to the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC, but only Xbox owners get to play it this summer. The DLC is a timed exclusive, meaning the PC and PS3 versions will be released after an undisclosed amount of time has passed. Bethesda took a similar approach with Fallout 3; in that the DLC packs didn't arrive on PS3 until several months after their original release on Xbox 360 and PC. This approach for Skyrim's DLC was announced well before the game released last fall, but considering all of the PS3-specific problems in the base game, playing Skyrim on Sony's console is a losing proposition. At least PC players have the creation kit and mods to keep them busy.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds epic. Thanks for finding this, Reddit actually being worth the bytes of the internet they take up, interesting.

Solid info right there, I like the idea of a perk tree for werewolf/vampires. still think mounted combat could be clunky/difficult to use, but overall the whole thing seems like you are getting good bang for your buck.

Probably won't buy until I hear how long it takes to dry up the majority of the new content but I'm sure it will be worth the $$.

The fact that they need a beta for it means it must be a humongous amount of new content. Signed up, hoping I get accepted!

[quote name='Bosamba']Found this at Reddit:

Two Paths

New Homes

Transformation

The Perks of Power

More Dragons

Back to Oblivion

The New Archery

The Ratway Makeover

Mounted Combat

Where to Start

Keep Shouting

Giving Xbox an Edge
[/QUOTE]

New shouts? AWWWWW YEAAAAAHHHHH

Todd Howard on G4 said beta starts next week and barring any major issues should come out officially on June 26 for $20. DLC 10-20 hours of content (his words.)

[quote name='MSUHitman']Todd Howard on G4 said beta starts next week and barring any major issues should come out officially on June 26 for $20. DLC 10-20 hours of content (his words.)[/QUOTE]

Hopefully I can be in the beta, otherwise I'll probably wait for a bit before buying. Even with that much extra content $20 is a steep price for DLC (I'm sure its gonna be worth it though)

[quote name='jlarlee']Heh got my ten year old playing this and he loves it. He is on the lowest difficulty but doing well[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess it's your prerogative if you want to let him play, but I definitely think this is a mature game. It deserves the rating, and contains some really adult content and themes.

Skyrim 1.6 patch is live on xbox

New Features

Mounted Combat - Skyrim now allows you to do melee and ranged combat while riding a horse.

Bug Fixes

General stability and memory optimizations
General AI pathfinding optimizations and bug fixes
Optimizations and crash fixes for data leaks
Fixed rare crash with lighting
Fixed crashes related to loading and saving games
Fixed crash with summoned creatures/NPCs
Fixed rare issue where saves would be corrupted
Improved logic for when ranged kill cams are played
Fixed issue with ranged kill cams while killing a dragon
Fixed rare issue with certain ranged kill cams not playing properly
Fixed issue with nirnroot lighting not properly cleaning up
Fixed issue where bow damage was being calculated incorrectly
Fixed rare problem with werewolf kill moves would not finish animating properly
Fixed occasional issue where followers would disappear after player pays off a bounty after committing a crime
Fixed issue where certain creatures and NPCs would fail to respawn properly
Fixed rare issue with dialogue subtitles not displaying properly
Fixed issue with water appearing blurry when loading a saved game after creating a save underwater
Fixed issue where map cursor would occasionally disappear after closing a message box with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)
Fixed rare issue with shouts only performing the first level and not other unlocked levels with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)
Fixed issue where the shout buttons would stop working properly if users mashed LB and RB during cooldown with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)

Quest Fixes

In The Break of Dawn fixed rare issue where Meridia's Beacon would disappear from player’s inventory

Last edited by a moderator:
Mounted combat is pretty neat. I enjoy the ride-by archery with the bow.

I will be interested to hear if anyone from here makes it into the beta.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Well, I guess it's your prerogative if you want to let him play, but I definitely think this is a mature game. It deserves the rating, and contains some really adult content and themes.[/QUOTE]

Mr. ESRB over here. "Adult content and mature themes, viewer discretion advised, etc.". Just messing around :)

As far as the patch goes, oh, so PS3 players ony gets jobbed on the patch! *gasp* Why is it that Sony takes so long to approve the patches whereas Moneysoft approves it much quicker. Disappointing.

bread's done
Back