The "Is This Game Rare?" Thread

Waterworld for Virtual Boy. It popped up while I was looking up my Russian DOS game. $48 dollars? Who played this game anyway?

What the worth on the English version Faselei! for the NGPC? Ebay, Amazon, Playaisa only have Jap copies for sale. So I can't get a sense of the worth. Some people I've talked to say it isn't that rare but I can't find any online retailer that sells a US copy. That labeled rare in my book.

[quote name='controlcommerce']What the worth on the English version Faselei! for the NGPC? Ebay, Amazon, Playaisa only have Jap copies for sale. So I can't get a sense of the worth. Some people I've talked to say it isn't that rare but I can't find any online retailer that sells a US copy. That labeled rare in my book.[/QUOTE]

It's certainly the rarest US NGPC game released. Anyone that tells you it isn't rare probably doesn't realize that the US version is not the version that comes in all of those multi-game NGPC packs.

If it's complete in box, I'm pretty sure it is worth over $100, as I've only ever seen cart-only copies on eBay. Most of those end around $35 - $50.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Waterworld for Virtual Boy. It popped up while I was looking up my Russian DOS game. $48 dollars? Who played this game anyway?[/QUOTE]

I recently picked that game up and played it, the game is pretty lame. Only reason its valuable is because it was one of the last two games made for the Virtual Boy with a limited print. The other being Jack Bros which I still do not have. ='( The only other virtual boy games that are worth even more money are some of the JP games that were unreleased over here.

I would love to have space invaders for the Virtual Boy but it runs too damn much!!!!

[quote name='skiizim']I recently picked that game up and played it, the game is pretty lame. Only reason its valuable is because it was one of the last two games made for the Virtual Boy with a limited print. The other being Jack Bros which I still do not have. ='( The only other virtual boy games that are worth even more money are some of the JP games that were unreleased over here.

I would love to have space invaders for the Virtual Boy but it runs too damn much!!!![/QUOTE]

I totally forgot about Jack Bros! I haven't seen that since it was in Nintendo Power way back when.

I'm sure the Virtual Boy will one day become a curiosity--what generation of gamers would subject themselves to neck strain and the hellish red glow? I remember my nephew bought one for some strange reason, and we'd set up its alien-like tripod in the living room.

[quote name='Doomstink']It's certainly the rarest US NGPC game released. Anyone that tells you it isn't rare probably doesn't realize that the US version is not the version that comes in all of those multi-game NGPC packs.

If it's complete in box, I'm pretty sure it is worth over $100, as I've only ever seen cart-only copies on eBay. Most of those end around $35 - $50.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing. They are listed at $35-50 on ebay but no one is buying. So that's not the right price for the demand. The main reason why a completed copy goes for so much is because the box and manual never came out in America (only the UK). The game did come out here but just cart only inside one of those 4 games bundles (link below). Which is where I got mine. Posted right here on the front page of CAG. Like 6 years ago, lol.

http://images.kenyonhill.com/tz/Ite...Color/4 Pack Expansion Game Set -- Pack C.jpg

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I totally forgot about Jack Bros! I haven't seen that since it was in Nintendo Power way back when.

I'm sure the Virtual Boy will one day become a curiosity--what generation of gamers would subject themselves to neck strain and the hellish red glow? I remember my nephew bought one for some strange reason, and we'd set up its alien-like tripod in the living room.[/QUOTE]

Its price is already raising a bit. I was seeing used complete ones go for about $60...which became $80...and now it pretty much always finishes anywhere between $100 low and $150 high. Wish I would have gotten one for my collection while it was still $60.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Its price is already raising a bit. I was seeing used complete ones go for about $60...which became $80...and now it pretty much always finishes anywhere between $100 low and $150 high. Wish I would have gotten one for my collection while it was still $60.[/QUOTE]

I almost wonder if the AVGN is to blame for that... Seems like most of the stuff he reviews goes up in value and/or is expensive to begin with.

[quote name='controlcommerce']That's the thing. They are listed at $35-50 on ebay but no one is buying. So that's not the right price for the demand. The main reason why a completed copy goes for so much is because the box and manual never came out in America (only the UK). The game did come out here but just cart only inside one of those 4 games bundles (link below). Which is where I got mine. Posted right here on the front page of CAG. Like 6 years ago, lol.

http://images.kenyonhill.com/tz/Ite...Color/4 Pack Expansion Game Set -- Pack C.jpg[/QUOTE]

Hm, I was under the impression that it did get released here outside of those packs. Suppose I was wrong... I got my copy of the game through one of those multi-packs and it was the Japanese version. No idea that they ever included the US version in those.

For some reason I could have sworn this game made it to the shelves just before SNK US went under. I actually bought my NGPC for full price at GS back in the Spring of 2000... sigh... I wish I could go back and tell myself to have waited.

I have a GBA Zelda Minish Cap Demo with glossy display photo. What's the demand for this? I know how fans of this franchise are, I'm one of them.

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

Youtube video of the game in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Tb2Yg-cOU

not for resale (NFR) carts are always good to have for a collector and especially if that cart is uncommon. i have seen the minish cap nfr cart come up on ebay but i cant recall its asking price. if youre looking to sell this, wait until the release of the new zelda game before you sell it though i wouldn't be surprised if it sells less than $70-$100.

Got a demo version of X-MEN Mutant Academy (GBC), only one that I know of in existence. Well, I'm sure there were others, but they're all buried in a landfill somewhere. There is no box, and it didn't come with a manual, either. I threw out the Ziploc bag it came in, lol. What do you guys think?

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I totally forgot about Jack Bros! I haven't seen that since it was in Nintendo Power way back when.

I'm sure the Virtual Boy will one day become a curiosity--what generation of gamers would subject themselves to neck strain and the hellish red glow? I remember my nephew bought one for some strange reason, and we'd set up its alien-like tripod in the living room.[/QUOTE]

I keep mine on display as a curiosity. Anyone who comes over sees it and tells me they must play it, but I've got no games for it.

[quote name='Occam']Got a demo version of X-MEN Mutant Academy (GBC), only one that I know of in existence. Well, I'm sure there were others, but they're all buried in a landfill somewhere. There is no box, and it didn't come with a manual, either. I threw out the Ziploc bag it came in, lol. What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]
you can try to sell it around the time marvel vs. capcom 3 comes out.. all the marvel vs. games and possibly the xmen games should might increase its value. right now you might get below $50 for it. you probably would have to advertise it just to gain enough interest (here on cag, etc)

What do you guys think the deal is with Sakura Wars So Long My Love Premium? Is it going to go up in value or is it going to drop soon?

[quote name='Fatso2027']What do you guys think the deal is with Sakura Wars So Long My Love Premium? Is it going to go up in value or is it going to drop soon?[/QUOTE]its a nis america title. take it with a grain of salt.

[quote name='Fatso2027']What do you guys think the deal is with Sakura Wars So Long My Love Premium? Is it going to go up in value or is it going to drop soon?[/QUOTE]

The only thing it has going for it is being the last good game for the :ps2:.

I dont even know if the artbook from RQ will be worth anything in the future either. Just like stated... it is an NIS title so who knows.

I certainly hope it does as I own 2 copies of it on :ps2: and got one on the :wii: as well.

Well I picked up a sealed copy from a fellow CAG in a trade, mainly to flip, I have too many RPGs as is, and was just wondering if it will stay at the price it is now or go down.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']The only thing it has going for it is being the last good game for the :ps2:.
[/QUOTE]

Lord Of The Rings: Aragorn's Quest comes out this year to. All LOTR games are awesome.

*holds up flame shield*

If Sakura Wars is ever going to be worth money, it won't be for another 5 - 10 years. Too many people are hanging on to sealed copies of it expecting it to be rare (because it is the last good PS2 game and it's an RPG). I'm hanging on to a copy myself, but I don't expect it to be worth anything any time soon.

I personally think that the mediocre non-RPG PS2 games that are being released right now will be worth more than the RPGs, if not only because no one is bothering to hang on to them. In terms of long-term rarities, I see things like Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier and Silent Hill Shattered Memories being worth something in the near future. Even though they are widely available on other platforms, I bet the PS2 versions had small print runs.

I jsut found a box of old Turbo cases with manuals and a box of gameboy cases. best thing was a GBC box with all manuals for Shantae....what should i put it on Ebay for?

[quote name='Sinnbox']I jsut found a box of old Turbo cases with manuals and a box of gameboy cases. best thing was a GBC box with all manuals for Shantae....what should i put it on Ebay for?[/QUOTE]
if theyre just manuals, sell it separately then. the cases and manuals is probably going to take awhile to sell though.

i'd imagine the shantae manual alone could probably go for about $50-$60. $100-120 for a loose cart, $200-$280 for a complete copy.

I got four new ones for you guys

Retro Game Challenge, Nervous Brickdown, Magnetica and Big Bang Mini for the DS. I have been trying to get a copy of all these games for under $10 for awhile, but it seems like they have bottomed out and are slowly rising. They are finishing for around $15 more often then not now and keep slowly rising. Wondering if maybe I should be be buying in as cheap as possible now anticipating they just hover in the $15-$30 range long term.

Anyone know if a sealed Izuna the Unemployed Ninja is worth anything? Videogamepricechartz has it listed as $50 new and I was wondering if it was a mistake.

[quote name='ducksoda7']Anyone know if a sealed Izuna the Unemployed Ninja is worth anything? Videogamepricechartz has it listed as $50 new and I was wondering if it was a mistake.[/QUOTE]

That isn't a mistake. Not sure if it was a short print run game or not, but I found one sealed at Game Crazy a few months ago for $19, listed it on Amazon for $55 and it sold within a week or so. I know they are kind of rare...the sequel isn't though.

[quote name='ducksoda7']Anyone know if a sealed Izuna the Unemployed Ninja is worth anything? Videogamepricechartz has it listed as $50 new and I was wondering if it was a mistake.[/QUOTE]

Could be accurate, the game is pretty uncommon and I am pretty sure unsealed copies go for around $20-$30 regularly.

[quote name='jousley']That isn't a mistake. Not sure if it was a short print run game or not, but I found one sealed at Game Crazy a few months ago for $19, listed it on Amazon for $55 and it sold within a week or so. I know they are kind of rare...the sequel isn't though.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! I think I saw, like, three sealed copies of it at a store for $15 each. The thing is that I don't remember if it's the first or second one. Guess I'll have to go back and find out.

[quote name='ducksoda7']Thanks! I think I saw, like, three sealed copies of it at a store for $15 each. The thing is that I don't remember if it's the first or second one. Guess I'll have to go back and find out.[/QUOTE]

The second game is worth like $10

not really valuable. maybe someone did pay $50 for a sealed copy but theres really no interest on this game right now. and yeah the second game's value is a joke atm.

Izuna 2 had a bigger print run than Izuna 1, afaik, and is cheaper both used and new. I had no idea the sealed copy went for as much as $55+ though.

[quote name='ducksoda7']Looks like they were copies of Izuna 2. A giant price sticker was covering all the 2s on the cover. :/[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Izuna 2 aint worth squat.

I found a "new" copy of the first Izuna at Gamestop, but it was gutted and the cover was faded (the insert was all washed out from being displayed right near the sun).

It looks like Izuna 2 was overprinted with little demand.

Yeah I personally fell right into that pitfall, after selling my copy of Izuna for like $25 I found a sealed Izuna 2 and snatched it up for $20 thinking it'd be worth something... wrong. More importantly, the series is really quite bland, not worth playing if you ask me. I suppose it has the draw of a hot anime chick but aside from that it's a pretty damn lackluster dungeon crawl.

[quote name='Unit01']Is a copy of Harvest Moon Back to Nature for PS1 complete rare?[/QUOTE]

Yes, a complete copy is worth about $40+. In the future though check ebay's completed listings, it'll show right up there.

[quote name='Unit01']Is a copy of Harvest Moon Back to Nature for PS1 complete rare?[/QUOTE]
i think youll get $50 no problem for it. thats how much i sold one sometime ago. the guide will probably be the same price too.

[quote name='eastshore4']Yeah I personally fell right into that pitfall, after selling my copy of Izuna for like $25 I found a sealed Izuna 2 and snatched it up for $20 thinking it'd be worth something... wrong. More importantly, the series is really quite bland, not worth playing if you ask me. I suppose it has the draw of a hot anime chick but aside from that it's a pretty damn lackluster dungeon crawl.

Yes, a complete copy is worth about $40+. In the future though check ebay's completed listings, it'll show right up there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I reviewed Izuna 2 for my website(link in sig)awhile back and I gave it a 7(average by the way I score). The game was worth playing, but it was just another bland generic rogue like.

I have a mint Megaman Legends 2 with manual/boxart, bought it way back when (wow almost ten years ago) cause I wanted to play the game, and not because I was hoping to sell it later.

I've looked at Ebay and I've seen at the minimum $45 for a complete one...is this game really that rare?

[quote name='rpnguyen']I have a mint Megaman Legends 2 with manual/boxart, bought it way back when (wow almost ten years ago) cause I wanted to play the game, and not because I was hoping to sell it later.

I've looked at Ebay and I've seen at the minimum $45 for a complete one...is this game really that rare?[/QUOTE]

/nod it hovered at around $25-$30 forever then jumped in a blink and has stayed in the $40-$50 area for awhile.

[quote name='rpnguyen']I have a mint Megaman Legends 2 with manual/boxart, bought it way back when (wow almost ten years ago) cause I wanted to play the game, and not because I was hoping to sell it later.

I've looked at Ebay and I've seen at the minimum $45 for a complete one...is this game really that rare?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's about right. It was selling for a lot more late last year... around $60 for a complete black label copy. I found one at a local mom & pop shop for $22 and remember checking the prices. Good thing they didn't bother updating it.

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, that's about right. It was selling for a lot more late last year... around $60 for a complete black label copy. I found one at a local mom & pop shop for $22 and remember checking the prices. Good thing they didn't bother updating it.[/QUOTE]

Gotta love those rare stores that still just price their games vs checking ebay values! I only know of a single store like that near me and its still a good 50 min drive. Everytime we go to my mother in laws who lives like 15 mins away I make sure to stop in and see what they have. Funny thing is a lot of their stuff is expensive because they just price stuff based on the system and mark stuff up a few bugs if its popular! So for instance just because they know they sell a ton of Crash Bandicoot and Mario games they will price any game from that series at $10 automatically even if incomplete....but meanwhile Star Ocean and Suikoden get the $5 price tag!

Last month I picked up a copy of Star Ocean 2, Suikoden and some other $30ish RPG and I think i spent like $18 for the three.

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, that's about right. It was selling for a lot more late last year... around $60 for a complete black label copy. I found one at a local mom & pop shop for $22 and remember checking the prices. Good thing they didn't bother updating it.[/QUOTE]

I wonder why it spiked in price. Years ago you could hardly give it away to anyone (I purchased a new copy on clearance for a meager $5), and it's not like it's an outstanding game, either. It's pretty clunky and hasn't aged as well as other 3D games from that era. I wonder if Capcom will ever re-release the Legends games (and Tron Bonne) in some way, shape, or form.

[quote name='Rozz']I wonder why it spiked in price. Years ago you could hardly give it away to anyone (I purchased a new copy on clearance for a meager $5), and it's not like it's an outstanding game, either. It's pretty clunky and hasn't aged as well as other 3D games from that era. I wonder if Capcom will ever re-release the Legends games (and Tron Bonne) in some way, shape, or form.[/QUOTE]

I think there was some rumor about Tron Bonne coming to PSN...don't know about Legends 1/2.

But I'd rather have a full-blown Megaman Legends 3 at this point.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Yeah, Izuna 2 aint worth squat.[/QUOTE]

This is the problem with this thread....

It's supposedly about "rare" games, but everyone is commenting and questioning on uncommon games, which is probably what most people want to know about. Izuna anything is worth probably more than $20, and in my book, if you have to bust your ass to find a copy of something for less than $40, $30, or even $20, then it must be "uncommon", especially if it's OOP.

The fact is, there aren't many truly "rare" games. Only a handful for each console that actually fetch (well at least eBayer's like to sit on them asking for) lots of money.

I suppose I should take the title to mean "how much is the game worth?". I guess what I take issue with, ass a cheap ass, is that people don't seem to consider games worth a solid $20, as being wroth squat. $20? God damn, that's a lot of money.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='warmsignal']This is the problem with this thread....

It's supposedly about "rare" games, but everyone is commenting and questioning on uncommon games, which is probably what most people want to know about. Izuna anything is worth probably more than $20, and in my book, if you have to bust your ass to find a copy of something for less than $40, $30, or even $20, then it must be "uncommon", especially if it's OOP.

The fact is, there aren't many truly "rare" games. Only a handful for each console that actually fetch (well at least eBayer's like to sit on them asking for) lots of money.

I suppose I should take the title to mean "how much is the game worth?". I guess what I take issue with, ass a cheap ass, is that people don't seem to consider games worth a solid $20, as being wroth squat. $20? God damn, that's a lot of money.[/QUOTE]
the thread evolved into something much better than its initial purpose. which is a great thing. a game could be a rare or uncommon as izuna 2, but is it really worth something or is it even worth picking up? the people on this thread simply just put 1 and 2 together for people to understand that it isnt. people would always try to assume by the literal meaning of the thread that a game is "valuable".

as an example, horse's life for the ds is rare and uncommon. but is it worth anything? unfortunately not much.

[quote name='warmsignal']This is the problem with this thread....

I suppose I should take the title to mean "how much is the game worth?". I guess what I take issue with, ass a cheap ass, is that people don't seem to consider games worth a solid $20, as being wroth squat. $20? God damn, that's a lot of money.[/QUOTE]

The more in demand something is the more rare it is and as a result the more its worth. If something is not worth much then it probably is not that rare.

bread's done
Back