The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']I think its worth the additional 25 cents per copy to avoid the bad karma of stealing game covers.[/QUOTE]

I did happen to trade in Forza 2 w/ the stolen cover the day it dropped in price.:cry:

[quote name='io']I hear it trades for $20 at Gamerush. Bring in 10 at once for a "Manager's Special" trade-in rate![/QUOTE]

what is this mythical beast that you speak of? I've never heard of a "Managers Special" rate.

[quote name='slavefive']what is this mythical beast that you speak of? I've never heard of a "Managers Special" rate.[/quote]

You get a manager's special only at the moment when light meets the darkness. You got be facing south with your mouth open & your palms facing north

[quote name='animemaniac14']so can you put games on pre-order at GameRush by any chance? like if i wanted to pre-order DMC4 Special Edition... could I?[/quote]

Yes, although it varies store to store. Some stores will let you preorder just about anything, others wont. You can usually call and ask. Also note that some people have had problems with GRush delivering on preorders but others, such as myself, have not.

Until you find out how reliable your store is, don't expect to get the game on release day.

I looked over the last few pages to find what games are good for flipping. I am trying to get enough credit for the $600 PS3 bundle. The best ones are:

Game - Store to get the game at

MUA and Forza 2 - Gamestop
The Darkness (360 version correct?) - Gamestop
The Bigs - Target
Ice Age 2 (Wii) - Circuit City

Any others? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Darkness for 360 is the 'used game deal of the week' at gamestop so its 19.99 instead of 26.99 or something. With the edge card its even better and trades in for 32 at BB. For now that is, don't they update prices on tuesdays?

[quote name='Bretts31344']I looked over the last few pages to find what games are good for flipping. I am trying to get enough credit for the $600 PS3 bundle. The best ones are:

The Bigs - Target

Any others? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Tony Hawk Proving Ground from target is still a good bet also.

[quote name='Bretts31344']I looked over the last few pages to find what games are good for flipping. I am trying to get enough credit for the $600 PS3 bundle. The best ones are:

The Bigs - Target

Any others? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Ice Age 2? How much is it at CC? What's the trade value for it?

I traded NBA 07 (PS3) for $23...

Thanks everyone. If I can get around $300 credit with $150 cash I will be set. It will probably take me a couple of days of flipping, but I figure GS/EB has a large quantity of The Darkness.

I told myself I wasn't going to buy Rock Band. But there it was at one of my local blockbusters, staring me in the face as I traded in games. I just couldn't justify NOT getting it with my credit. God, I suck at drums.

[quote name='kevlar51']I told myself I wasn't going to buy Rock Band. But there it was at one of my local blockbusters, staring me in the face as I traded in games. I just couldn't justify NOT getting it with my credit. God, I suck at drums.[/quote]

I've been resisting the urge so far but my GR store has a pile of these sitting on the floor. I've got almost $300 in GCs there so I may have to break down and get it soon.

I sold my wii a while back because of lack of games and I just played mario olympics and SMG at a party this weekend and had a blast, and with Brawl coming out and mario kart, I plan on getting a wii and keeping it this time.

[quote name='runpuddrun']I sold my wii a while back because of lack of games and I just played mario olympics and SMG at a party this weekend and had a blast, and with Brawl coming out and mario kart, I plan on getting a wii and keeping it this time.[/quote]
I hope you sold it for a huge profit. Even with all the new games and the ones coming out, I still think Re4 Wii edition is the game I am going to be playing most, I just love how the game handles.

Also, Rock band is glaring at me. I'm up to 108 store credit but after a Forza/Darkness flip today I will be pretty close. Too bad the thing right next to it is a PS3 which is also begging to be picked up. Has anyone seen a used ps3 at a GR? I live like 45 mins away from one, and would wanna know the price before I make the trip (since alot of stores bs you when you ask for prices on the phone).

*edit* When i checked on the store locator on the GS website it said 4+ copies of The Darkeness at all local stores, when I went in they had 11 copies with the box/instructions/manual.

I can trade in games at a regular BlockBuster???? There are no GRs in Queens. I live near the main st and union tpke store. Anyone traded games in over there?

[quote name='darylfoot']anyone tried Hour of Victory 360 lately?[/quote]
Put down penis and pick up phone you Bang Brother wanna be. ;)

Wow I haven't traded in at GR all year been to busy working and packing and not wanting to spend money since i'm moving and yea.... Since i've got the day off for MLK Day I think i'm gonna do what MLK would do and flip some games from GS using my credit over to double credit at GR. :cool:

[quote name='jiggyteddy']I can trade in games at a regular BlockBuster???? There are no GRs in Queens. I live near the main st and union tpke store. Anyone traded games in over there?[/quote]

Yes regular Blockbuster give same trade values as Gamerush Blockbusters.

[quote name='jiggyteddy']awesome. thank you. what is the recommended "flip" of the week?[/quote] Did you even read the page you posted your question on? There is a nice list right there and even tells you where to buy them.... :roll:

Also remember that prices at GR change on TUESDAY so anything you buy today trade today so you don't risk the prices dropping. Once you check the new trade values on tuesday rinse and repeat till next tuesday.

[quote name='jiggyteddy']I can trade in games at a regular BlockBuster???? There are no GRs in Queens. I live near the main st and union tpke store. Anyone traded games in over there?[/QUOTE]yea thats where i last traded @ actually. i walked out w/ like $250 in trade credit on value card. when i went there this lady was cool. and yea the closest GR is in S.I. if u drive it isnt a long drive, like 30mins w/ no traffic. thats where i picked up my 60gb ps3 a couple wks ago

just went to 2 CC's- no Ice Age 2 and no FC:Instincts @ Kmart either, but I did spor Burnout Paradise on the shelves.

Stopped by GS and picked up a MUA/Forza 2 and Darkness to flip and dropped by GR/BB to redeem my hard earned value card credit. The first GR I went to would not "allow" me to trade in Forza 2 and MUA because of they knew it was in the 360 Pro's, so I drove 2 miles down the street to the other one and it was all good.

[quote name='frankcastle']anyone know if gr are gonna have burnout paradise for sale tomorrow?[/quote]They USUALLY have new games for sale on Friday the week they came out, but it can be YMMV.

If anyone see's a Wii in stock anywhere or knows any other way to get them other than to call every GR everyday and ask if they got them in, please let me know.

Turned The Bigs ($33) and Tony Hawk Proving Ground ($25) into a one year Xbox Live Subscription.

I spotted NHL 07 (Xbox 360) and Street Homecourt (Xbox 360) on clearance at Target for $14.XX

Street Homecourt was quoted $15 at BB and I did not bother with the NHL 07 quote...

[quote name='spinksjinx']Just as a heads up to anyone I now work at Blockbuster and we marked down Virtua Fighter 5 to $24.99 today.[/QUOTE]

New or used?

Just got the 10% off coupon and the edge card to go along with 'used game of the week" deal at GS for the darkness and was surprised to see yet another used copy of jaws.

Took em over to the BB thats right next to the GS, the guy looked at Jaws and said "another one of these, we just got another this morning" lol looks like theres an under cover flipper in the Ann Arbor area. Hi :)

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Just got the 10% off coupon and the edge card to go along with 'used game of the week" deal at GS for the darkness and was surprised to see yet another used copy of jaws.

Took em over to the BB thats right next to the GS, the guy looked at Jaws and said "another one of these, we just got another this morning" lol looks like theres an under cover flipper in the Ann Arbor area. Hi :)[/QUOTE]

What does jaws get in trade?

Yeah it trades in for 16, at gamestop after the promo 10% and the edge card it goes down to 10.52 (was alot better during the b1g1 regular xbox deal). Not the best flipper around, but I figure its good to mix other things in along with The darkness and Mua/Forza since I can never find CC or Target clearance games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back