The Road Warriors' Wrestling Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='tangytangerine']What Anthrax song?[/QUOTE]

The song was called "Thorn in Your Eye" (I think); it was performed by a bunch of semi-big mid-90's metal guys, including Scott Ian and (maybe?) Peter Steele. It was released on the WWF: Full Metal CD, and was the theme for Raw for years after the original (the awful generic-theme-with-sirens one).

Umaga deserves what he got; that's the risk you run with putting nonwrestlers in the ring. Perhaps I'm indifferent because Umaga is a dreadful wrestler and a dreadful human being, but I can admit that much.

I'd love to see a best-of WWF show instead of Raw. I just hope that, one day, they won't have to edit the "WWF" logo out of the show. Theme changes I can live with (except Demolition!), but the number of blurs I'd have to put up with just fucking ruins a lot of those shows.

I dunno, it cant get much worse than having Robocop; or Scott Steiner arguing with a fucking animatronic doll.

They could always have someone give birth to a hand again...

And yea, despite me hating the gimmick, Cryme Time werent that bad as wrestlers. Seems we're also seeing the long overdue disbanding of the Spirit Squad (and hopefully DX'll follow)

[quote name='Bezerker']
And yea, despite me hating the gimmick, Cryme Time werent that bad as wrestlers. [/QUOTE]

Cryme Tyme were fucking terrible in the ring. Neither one good, passable at best. The gimmick is funny especially the skits with Booker, but if you thought they were actually good in the ring, then i've lost all faith in humanity.

[quote name='onetrackmind']The gimmick is funny especially the skits with Booker, but if you thought they were actually good in the ring, then i've lost all faith in humanity.[/quote]

The match was horrible, but I did find it funny with them stealing Booker's wallet and Booker saying he doesn't speak Ebonics.

[quote name='tangytangerine']What Anthrax song? Do you mean Union Underground?[/quote]

No, the old Raw is War theme they used before that.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']No, the old Raw is War theme they used before that.[/quote]
Oh, that one. I had no clue who did that song. Yeah, I wish they would go back to that one, cause that really sticks unlike the last two. Those two really feel like theme songs for PPVs more than regular show themes.

The new Raw theme is catchy, but...

1) Papa Roach is the most clearcut example of what a "poseur" is. Seven years ago they were nu-metal, now they all got heroin habits, sleeve tattoos and Peppermint Patty haircuts because the AFI-fruitbat-gothic-'woah-oh' thing is popular. They're just the single worst band out there as far as I'm concerned. They make LA Guns look like guys with scruples, because they at least still play assrock, popular or not.

2) I'm not sure seeing fast-paced clips of Umaga shoving his thumb in a dude's neck, or a pedigree, or Torrie Wilson jiggling her ta-tas, corresponds well with the song's chorus, which laments that "I just wanna be loved." Well, seeing Super Crazy moonsault into the stratosphere doesn't convince me that he just wants to be loved.

[quote name='Bezerker']I dunno, it cant get much worse than having Robocop; or Scott Steiner arguing with a fucking animatronic doll.

They could always have someone give birth to a hand again...

And yea, despite me hating the gimmick, Cryme Time werent that bad as wrestlers. Seems we're also seeing the long overdue disbanding of the Spirit Squad (and hopefully DX'll follow)[/QUOTE]

You mean Rick Steiner, not Scott Steiner.

And I got to agree with myke, I changed the channel when Crime Time and the Bra and Panties match took place.

[quote name='mykevermin']nice! who are the other candidates? Masters, Carlito, and Nitro?[/QUOTE]

I better put it in spoilers since it hasn't been announced yet.

Johnny Nitro, Carlito, Shelton Benjamin, Super Crazy or Chris Masters

[quote name='Sporadic']I better put it in spoilers since it hasn't been announced yet.

Johnny Nitro, Carlito, Shelton Benjamin, Super Crazy or Chris Masters
[/quote]

Why not make it a special match with all 6 where it can either be a 6 man battle royal, 6 pack hardcore match or gauntlet match?

[quote name='tangytangerine']Why not make it a special match with all 6 where it can either be a 6 man battle royal, 6 pack hardcore match or gauntlet match?[/QUOTE]

I guessing it's taking the place of the traditional "pick your favorite to go against the champ" that they have done the last two times.

Well... RAW was terrible as usual... However, I might start watching SmackDown again because King Booker is THE MAN!. "I don't speak ebonics." and "They all look the same."? Come on... that's comedy... Seeing Steve-O no sell was funny too....

Frankly I wouldn't mind Edge/RVD/Booker at Cyber Sunday...

Tonight's ECW was pre-taped last week, wasn't it? I wasn't following spoilers much last week, but from the two known matches it seems like it has potentially to be another good show.

Thanks Saucy, much appreciated :)

Looks like Ultimate Warrior is taking WWE to court on October 26, due to defamation of character which includes the "Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior" DVD.

Also Shelton Benjamin's entrance is up on PS2.ign.com

A bit of interesting news in regards to WWE DVD distribution....

Source = http://www.homemediaretailing.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?sec_id=2&&article_ID=9800

WWE Tag Teams With Genius Products
Author: THOMAS K. ARNOLD
[email protected]
Posted: October 17, 2006
Email this Story to Friend

Furthering its rise as a DVD powerhouse, Genius Products LLC Oct. 17 announced it has secured exclusive home entertainment distribution rights to the lucrative World Wrestling Entertainment line of DVDs.

The multiyear agreement, which takes effect Nov. 1, will result in Genius releasing at least 25 new WWE titles in 2007, as well as assorted offerings from the wrestling giant’s catalog of more than 100 titles. The line previously was distributed by Sony Wonder.

First up from Genius under the deal is Born to Controversy: The Roddy Piper Story, coming Nov. 14, followed on Nov. 21 by The Spectacular Legacy of the AWA and, on Dec. 5, WWE Cyber Sunday 2006, spotlighting the RAW brand’s popular pay-per-view event.

Bob and Harvey Weinstein, whose The Weinstein Company now owns 70% of Genius, personally made the announcement, along with WWE chairman Vince McMahon, Genius CEO and president Trevor Drinkwater and other top Genius and WWE executives.

“WWE is not simply a brand; it is an American icon,” Bob Weinstein said. “We view our relationship with WWE as a major alliance, with great growth potential.”

WWE has used its core businesses of live events, pay-per-view and the production of television content for broadcast and cable networks to establish a presence in more than 130 countries. The company has a huge line of licensed consumer products, from magazines to toys, as well as its own film division.

WWE DVDs, meanwhile, routinely top the sports category, drawing on a video library with more than 90,000 hours of programming from the RAW, SmackDown and ECW pay-per-view events, including Wrestlemania, archives of previous wrestling organizations, as well as profiles of past and present wrestling superstars.

McMahon said home entertainment “is a major part of the WWE’s business.” So far this year, 10 WWE titles topped the Nielsen VideoScan sports DVD sales chart, while Wrestlemania 22 debuted at No. 5 on the overall DVD sales chart and now ranks as the best-selling WWE title of all time. In fiscal 2006, home entertainment revenue accounted for $42 million, or 10% of WWE’s total revenue, more than twice as much as it generated the previous year.

“The WWE has transformed sports entertainment into a cultural phenomenon through broadcasting, live events and the superstar icons they create, which are brands unto themselves,” Drinkwater said. “The company continues to expand its presence in the marketplace through creative programming and brand-building, which, in turn, helps provide for unique, high-quality DVD programs.”

Reading about Weinstein always makes me think of Harvey Fierstein; two radically different characters.

I don't see how this will change anything on the consumer end, however. More cameos for WWE guys in straight-to-video movies (I'm looking at you, Goldberg in Universal Soldier), perhaps.

I read about that today on Meltzer's site. That's quite a coup for them. I picked up the special four-disc Hogan Anthology set today at Wal-Mart, and for $17, it's a bargain. Ventura's commentary is on the bonus disc, so I'd imagine it's on the other ones as well. The bonus disc has some great matches on it (Hogan vs. Harley, Hogan vs. 'Quake), which is why I wanted it instead of either the three disc version or the other four-disc one.

[quote name='Bezerker']I dunno, it cant get much worse than having Robocop; or Scott Steiner arguing with a fucking animatronic doll.[/quote]
Hey, that animatronic doll has had 5+ movies to his credit!

[quote name='Bezerker']And yea, despite me hating the gimmick, Cryme Time werent that bad as wrestlers. [/quote]

I don't know about Cryme Time being good in the ring, I've certainly seen worse. I will say that their finisher is easily one of the best tag team finishers ever though. You can't really pass fair judgment on them overall in the ring though (Mr. OTM) after only one match.

[quote name='Bezerker']Seems we're also seeing the long overdue disbanding of the Spirit Squad (and hopefully DX'll follow)[/quote]

I love it, almost EVERYONE begged and begged for DX to reunite and was so psyched up when they finally did (for real this tiem) and now half of you can't wait for this to be over. Let that be a lesson here, no successful gimmick is ever as good the second time around in the WWE. Please stop begging for the nWo to come back, Vince would only find a way to further tarnish their image as he did by having Austin beat them all single-handedly.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Well... RAW was terrible as usual... However, I might start watching SmackDown again because King Booker is THE MAN!. "I don't speak ebonics." and "They all look the same."? Come on... that's comedy... Seeing Steve-O no sell was funny too....

Frankly I wouldn't mind Edge/RVD/Booker at Cyber Sunday...[/quote]

Booker T is funny like a woman beating her kids in walmart is funny. You laugh because you're glad you're glad you're not that dumb. "King Booker" is a pathetic end to Booker T's career, he was much funnier when paired with Goldust. At least he got a long overdue final title run though... albeit probably 3 years too late.

Booker's in-ring career isn't over yet, and King Booker might be a cartoon character, but in a way, that show that he's finally arrived in WWE.

I picked up the Hogan Anthology tonight at Wal-Mart for a mere $15 for four discs, and I must say that I'm quite happy with my purchase just based on that disc. Jesse's commentary is all over it, and the match with Earthquake holds up remarkably well. Quake took a table bump and a bunch of chair shots leading to massive welts on his back in Philly - which is more extreme than anything that happened on tonight's "ECW" show.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Booker T is funny like a woman beating her kids in walmart is funny. You laugh because you're glad you're glad you're not that dumb. "King Booker" is a pathetic end to Booker T's career, he was much funnier when paired with Goldust. At least he got a long overdue final title run though... albeit probably 3 years too late.[/quote]

I don't know man.. he was definitely funny with Goldust... but now, he's just ridiculous. Anyway, I'm just glad to see him as champ. :)

[quote name='PhrostByte']I don't know man.. he was definitely funny with Goldust... but now, he's just ridiculous. Anyway, I'm just glad to see him as champ. :)[/QUOTE]

I think he's good in a comedy role, as his work with Goldust was top notch

"Not only am I the five-time...world heavyweight champion, but I got a sword, too!"

OTOH, I feel it's not too much to ask to see a champion portray themselves as a competitive athlete (especially when it's someone who is a more than capable wrestler). He's still having decent matches, but I don't buy into the premise because the setup segments with Booker are just so goofy.

Ultimately, I need to realize this is a kids' show, and not written for adult sensibilities. Simplicity plus titty does not make an "adult" show. They're selling it to the kids who buy action figures and lunchboxes, not you or I.

[quote name='mykevermin'] More cameos for WWE guys in straight-to-video movies (I'm looking at you, Goldberg in Universal Soldier), perhaps.[/quote]
Dont forget about Santa's Slay.

santagoldberg3.jpg

Nothing better than a Jew playing Santa Claus (let alone one who's supposed to be the reincarnation of satan)

Chris Kanyon is on Howard Stern right now and Ric Flair is on the phone and they are debating on what happened between Kanyon and the WWE. Now Flair is giving Howard shit for not having him on the show and having Hogan on instead.

lmao.. Flair should retire.. plain and simple.. be a manager.. fine.. stop embarassing yourself on the mat..

btw.. Angle was on Bubba the Love Sponge yesterday and said he's calling in from now on to the show.. he also said he'd work for Hogan if Hogan put together a promotion. He is working on a deal for a UFC contract so he can cross promote TNA... pretty cool segment.

[quote name='DJSteel']lmao.. Flair should retire.. plain and simple.. be a manager.. fine.. stop embarassing yourself on the mat..

btw.. Angle was on Bubba the Love Sponge yesterday and said he's calling in from now on to the show.. he also said he'd work for Hogan if Hogan put together a promotion. He is working on a deal for a UFC contract so he can cross promote TNA... pretty cool segment.[/QUOTE]

Hogan and XPac were both on as well... Hogan told some rally vague fucked up stories and XPac said he saw Virgil give himself head before.

[quote name='onetrackmind']Hogan and XPac were both on as well... Hogan told some rally vague fucked up stories and XPac said he saw Virgil give himself head before.[/quote]

i missed those two.. damn.. lol.. good to see another sirius subscriber:applause:

[quote name='onetrackmind']Chris Kanyon is on Howard Stern right now and Ric Flair is on the phone and they are debating on what happened between Kanyon and the WWE. Now Flair is giving Howard shit for not having him on the show and having Hogan on instead.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I'm too PC for my own good, so I don't listen to Stern, or Bubba, or any of those dudes.

Somehow, though, I figure between having depressing goth morning in the office (Sisters of Mercy and Joy Division thus far, with The Cure assuredly coming thereafter), it's still less depressing than listening to Kanyon bitch.

I just read that he was at my undergraduate college last week for national coming out day. I shoulda gone back over there, as they had a public debate between Al Franken and Tucker Carlson the very next night.

[quote name='DJSteel']lmao.. Flair should retire.. plain and simple.. be a manager.. fine.. stop embarassing yourself on the mat..

btw.. Angle was on Bubba the Love Sponge yesterday and said he's calling in from now on to the show.. he also said he'd work for Hogan if Hogan put together a promotion. He is working on a deal for a UFC contract so he can cross promote TNA... pretty cool segment.[/QUOTE]

Flair and Edge had probably the best Monday Night Raw match of the year and probably one of the top five WWE matches of the year (I saw it live so I may be biased, but many others have cited it as one of the best matches of the year).

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Flair and Edge had probably the best Monday Night Raw match of the year and probably one of the top five WWE matches of the year (I saw it live so I may be biased, but many others have cited it as one of the best matches of the year).[/quote]

that is fine.. I'm just tired of him is all.. I've met the guy and gave him directions to Primantis once.. he was doing a show with Mark Madden.. I don't hate the guy.. I just feel he needs to step back a bit more..

This is not wrestling related, but since most of the people who know me are posters in this thread, I just wanted to say hi. If all goes well, I could be back online permanently within a couple weeks.

Okay, so I will include something wrestling related- The shows are more unpredictable and exciting without internet access. That definitely is cool. However, it's been killing me not knowing all the "inside scoops" and when I miss a show, I have very little means of finding out what happened.

Anyway, I won't ramble much more since this is a wrestling topic, but I am getting closer to that Chris Benoit like physique I've been seeking. Okay, so I'm nowhere close, but I have put on 26.6 pounds of almost all muscle in the last 8 months.

Well... It's good to be at CAG again, if only briefly, and to Scorch, Saucy Jack, ZL, and everyone else, I hope you are doing very well.

[quote name='DJSteel']that is fine.. I'm just tired of him is all.. I've met the guy and gave him directions to Primantis once.. he was doing a show with Mark Madden.. I don't hate the guy.. I just feel he needs to step back a bit more..[/QUOTE]

I don't think I've seen a match with Flair recently where he didn't blade himself to high hell and bleed everywhere.

[quote name='Roufuss']I don't think I've seen a match with Flair recently where he didn't blade himself to high hell and bleed everywhere.[/quote]

What about his matches against the Spirit Squad? Didn't bleed in any of those.

[quote name='tangytangerine']What about his matches against the Spirit Squad? Didn't bleed in any of those.[/QUOTE]

Color me shocked.

But the key word is recently, I haven't watched a Flair match since he was fighting Nitro or Mick Foley or someone, and he would blade every time... half the fun of watching a Flair match is anticipating when he's going to blade himself and his hair turns red.

I'm thinking about heading down to Orlando over winter break... check out an Impact or 2... maybe go to a PPV. Yeah.. that's the ticket.

Never been to a show before but have been a fan forever... sucked being poor.

Just a reminder. Looked at the schedule for this week. Impact will only be on tomorrow, cause Spike has some Ultimate Knockouts crap on saturday night. But it looks like they also have something else on for TNA on saturday called "TNA Road to Glory" at midnight. At least that's what Yahoo has listed.

Also IGN has Matt Hardy's entrance up.

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/toyfare/001990750.cfm

Go here to vote on an exclusive WWE Figure among the 130 guys they have signed so far. You get to choose the gimmick.

Saba Simba? Just pick Tony Atlas.
Adam Bomb? Just pick Brian Clarke and say so!

Me? I chose Ravishing Rick Rude.[/quote]
Why is The Rock on there twice(one as The Rock & the other as Rocky Maivia)?

Also has Jakks ever released a old school Undertaker with the purple/gray gloves & boots?

And I can't believe Zeus made it on that list.

Anyway, I picked DDP, since I don't think WWE ever released a action figure of his and WCW never updated his. The only ones I saw was one w/ long hair, jeans and that shirt w/ the diamond logo.

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/toyfare/001990750.cfm

Go here to vote on an exclusive WWE Figure among the 130 guys they have signed so far. You get to choose the gimmick.

Saba Simba? Just pick Tony Atlas.
Adam Bomb? Just pick Brian Clarke and say so!

Me? I chose Ravishing Rick Rude.[/QUOTE]

I need a new Jake "The Snake" Robert figure with Damien.

I would have voted for Earthquake (great guy) but there's no chance of him winning.

[quote name='Matt Young']This is not wrestling related, but since most of the people who know me are posters in this thread, I just wanted to say hi. If all goes well, I could be back online permanently within a couple weeks.

Okay, so I will include something wrestling related- The shows are more unpredictable and exciting without internet access. That definitely is cool. However, it's been killing me not knowing all the "inside scoops" and when I miss a show, I have very little means of finding out what happened.

Anyway, I won't ramble much more since this is a wrestling topic, but I am getting closer to that Chris Benoit like physique I've been seeking. Okay, so I'm nowhere close, but I have put on 26.6 pounds of almost all muscle in the last 8 months.

Well... It's good to be at CAG again, if only briefly, and to Scorch, Saucy Jack, ZL, and everyone else, I hope you are doing very well.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad to see that you're okay and doing well, Matt. I see you are back in your hometown again, and I hope that you get internet set up so that you can join us here again. Best wishes to you, friend.

[quote name='tangytangerine']
And I can't believe Zeus made it on that list.
[/QUOTE]

Any chance for a limited edition 2-pack of Zeus and Hulk Hogan as "Rip," with special DVD of No Holds Barred included in the package?

Because we are coming up on 500, the next topic NEEDS to be Jake Roberts. Because not only is he a legend but he will be making his TNA debut tomorrow and this is something that needs to be celebrated by dedicating a topic to him.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Because we are coming up on 500, the next topic NEEDS to be Jake Roberts. Because not only is he a legend but he will be making his TNA debut tomorrow and this is something that needs to be celebrated by dedicating a topic to him.[/QUOTE]

QFT.

Plus we need to put a few GIFs of him from the infamous "Heroes Of Wrestling" PPV. Its so aweful that you want to look away..... yet you keep watching because its so aweful.

And for the record I just watched that PPV finally. And yes... it sucks. In fact the best way to sum it up is....

[quote name='Angry Nintendo Nerd']That sucks ass from a straw.[/quote]

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Because we are coming up on 500, the next topic NEEDS to be Jake Roberts. Because not only is he a legend but he will be making his TNA debut tomorrow and this is something that needs to be celebrated by dedicating a topic to him.[/quote]

Why must you spoil my favorite TV show? :(

[quote name='PhrostByte']Why must you spoil my favorite TV show? :([/QUOTE]

Shit I am sorry. I just wanted to make sure that Jake got his just due and I figured everyone already read that he was coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back