The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
We appreciate you helping keep this thread up to date. The sales change virtually every day so no one person has the time to update them all. If you notice a game is no longer on sale, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see a game is on sale, add it to the list. Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card.
The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • AI War CD Keys in various formats
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2010 Release) CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Audiosurf CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • BRINK CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is not accepted on Steam
  • Cities in Motion CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Civilization V CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Cricket Revolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
  • Darksiders CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: The number 2 and letter Z may look very similar.
  • Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Duke Nukem Forever CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
  • F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • F.E.A.R. 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Fallout: New Vegas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2010 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2011 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Front Mission Evolved CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Global Agenda CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
  • GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Homefront CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Humble Indie Bundle in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 2 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 3 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Just Cause 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Please input all O's and 0's as Q's for Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Killing Floor CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lionheart: Kings' Crusade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
  • Mafia 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Magicka CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Metro 2033 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: Warband CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Napoleon: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Order of War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
  • R.U.S.E. CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
  • RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Railworks CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Rogue Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Serious Sam HD CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Shattered Horizon CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ship Simulator Extremes CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Space Trader CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Speedball 2 - Tournament in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Star Trek: D-A-C CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Super Meat Boy CD keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Supreme Commander 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Torchlight CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
  • Velvet Assassin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM
  • Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • X3: Terran Conflict CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Zeno Clash CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
Note: Only the retail games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other retail games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

The Ball (bought @D2D and tested by voken)
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon and tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KaOTiK']Anniversary is good, it is a remake of the original iirc. I enjoyed Legend quite a bit and recommend it the most of them all. I haven't played Underworld but have heard so so things, for the price can't go wrong getting them all, if you want to be cheap just get Anniversary and Legend.[/QUOTE]

Are these games keyboard/mouse friendly or controller recommended?

I haven't played Tomb Raider in forever. I think the last title I've played through was Tomb Raider 2 for the PS shortly after it came out. They were revolutionary at the time, but that's one series that took a big dip, but seems to have had a pretty decent resurgence. I'm definitely excited about the reboot title.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Once the shortcut is on my desktop, I don't really care what service it's going through.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much, same here.

I just wish G4WL was more functional than it is, though...
Even Origin is light years ahead of what G4WL does...

[quote name='Blade']
Gabe-Newell-Denies-Valve-Apple-Meeting.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Gabe has nothing to worry about w/ me, given that I have 229 games listed as "owned" on Steam...
My count of games (in general) seems to increasing either by the day, week, or month...

EDIT:
Highly looking forward to Half-Life 3 and maybe a L4D3....or anything else Valve decides to develop.

[quote name='blehman']Are these games keyboard/mouse friendly or controller recommended?

I haven't played Tomb Raider in forever. I think the last title I've played through was Tomb Raider 2 for the PS shortly after it came out. They were revolutionary at the time, but that's one series that took a big dip, but seems to have had a pretty decent resurgence. I'm definitely excited about the reboot title.[/QUOTE]

When I played them awhile back I had no problems with kb/m. I tend to use kb/m whenever possible and only use my controller for a few games.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I really lined Anniversary and Legend but I never played Underworld.[/QUOTE]

Having just finished Anniversary this week, I can say that I enjoyed Legend a lot better (Anniversary was not bad, I just had more fun with Legend)

And I also have not played Underworld....

[quote name='Genocidal']Daily Deal is Tommy Tronic for $2.50. Of note, this deal ends at 2pm Eastern, making an hour overlap between daily deals now.[/QUOTE]
No, it's because of the time change tonight. So, there will not be an overlap of daily deals. It still ends at 1pm Eastern 12pm Central 11am Mountain and 10am Pacific.

[quote name='Preedatore']Make sure to add all the topping DLC seperately to your cart as it will be cheaper than the bundle.[/QUOTE]

I want an indie pizza bundle so bad right now.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I want an indie pizza bundle so bad right now.[/QUOTE]
I want a bacon jalapeno cheeseburger basket bundle right now.

jj_burger_with_bacon_t560.jpg

Underworld has the same gameplay mechanics from Anniversary and Legend, but it's a lesser game, I think, and shorter. It's good though, unless you want to save I'd get all three.

[quote name='sunasun']I want a bacon jalapeno cheeseburger basket bundle right now.

jj_burger_with_bacon_t560.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That looks exactly like what hungover me needs right now...

They got a place like that down here in SoCal called Slater's 50/50. They are known for their custom burgers made from 50% ground beef 50% ground bacon
yMw80.jpg

When I typed the address in google maps the first option that popped was within 2 hours. Upon furthur review it's in Washington, really far away. That makes me sad.

42 hours, 2500 miles

Guess I will settle for an average burger with delicious beer tonight.

Liberty

8152030874_4bd34887c8.jpg

[quote name='Pikagreg']They got a place like that down here in SoCal called Slater's 50/50. They are known for their custom burgers made from 50% ground beef 50% ground bacon
yMw80.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I love this thread. :drool:

CMAG1112_CV1NEWS.jpg

This has been staring me in the face the last 20 times I've been in Walgreens, and I finally flip it open and realize I don't even recognize the names of more than half the restaurants listed. Damned impecuniousness.

Well I know this is off topic, but I just finished the Sleeping Dogs Nightmare in Northpoint DLC. Fun. Finished in about two hours, but still have some cheevos to get. Not bad for $5

[quote name='dfg']
CMAG1112_CV1NEWS.jpg

This has been staring me in the face the last 20 times I've been in Walgreens, and I finally flip it open and realize I don't even recognize the names of more than half the restaurants listed. Damned impecuniousness.[/QUOTE]

image.php

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Well I know this is off topic, but I just finished the Sleeping Dogs Nightmare in Northpoint DLC. Fun. Finished in about two hours, but still have some cheevos to get. Not bad for $5[/QUOTE]

How dare you talk about games in the burger thread.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Well I know this is off topic, but I just finished the Sleeping Dogs Nightmare in Northpoint DLC. Fun. Finished in about two hours, but still have some cheevos to get. Not bad for $5[/QUOTE]

[quote name='elessar123']How dare you talk about games in the burger thread.[/QUOTE]

You got burger talk in my video games. No, you got video games in my burger talk!

But seriously...can we start salivating over the Steam Winter Sale yet? I had to chip ice off my windshield this morning for the first time this year, and I immediately thought of the Steam Winter Sale...there's a support group for that right?

[quote name='walkonshadows']You got burger talk in my video games. No, you got video games in my burger talk!

But seriously...can we start salivating over the Steam Winter Sale yet? I had to chip ice off my windshield this morning for the first time this year, and I immediately thought of the Steam Winter Sale...there's a support group for that right?[/QUOTE]

It's winter? I can't really tell =P

[quote name='sunasun']Political Machine 2012 4 pack on sale for 9.99 on Steam[/QUOTE]

If you are any bit interested in politics then I highly recommend it. I had fun playing around with it for a few hours. The campaign is short but meant to be played many times with silly characters.

[quote name='Umair56']If you are any bit interested in politics then I highly recommend it. I had fun playing around with it for a few hours. The campaign is short but meant to be played many times with silly characters.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, first time I played it, I ran on a Legalize Marijuana platform. I lost the popular vote by like 8 million but won the electoral vote =-)

[quote name='sunasun']Yeah, first time I played it, I ran on a Legalize Marijuana platform. I lost the popular vote by like 8 million but won the electoral vote =-)[/QUOTE]

My latest character was Prince Moneybags. I beefed up his money stats, cut down my credibility and minority appeal, and my campaign focused on deficit reduction (everyone loves that) but also some emphasis on tax cuts, small government, anti-obamacare, anti-union. It was fun running on a pure pro-corporation platform and I won by a landslide. It was only the second difficulty though.

[quote name='sunasun']Political Machine 2012 4 pack on sale for 9.99 on Steam[/QUOTE]

If you're considering going for it I'd gladly hop in on that for a 2.50 copy.

[quote name='Eldredpe']If you're considering going for it I'd gladly hop in on that for a 2.50 copy.[/QUOTE]

I'll be a third! Pm me.

I'm not a HUGE fan of PM, especially having played the original. It's a bit of a one-trick pony, especially once you realize how divorced from actual election drama it is. You just focus on the high-importance broad-appeal stats and make lots of speechs and ads about them, only running a few ads as they get really expensive and cutting them off once you score a big hold on them. Everything else is managing the numbers game to eke out a few more percentage points and win at the end.

Related: The Running With Scissors team has STOPPED selling Postal 3 in their store and they call it a "Dodgy Russian Fangame called Postal 3 in most stores." That should tell you how worthwhile Postal 3 is (Which it does for me, still having yet to play P3 myself). Stick with 2. 2 IS a bad game but it is quite fun in a number of ways.

Anyone who has Dead Rising 2, are there any solutions that can cure the "DR2 has stopped working"? I've tried several to no avail...

This will be my first STEAM black Friday. Is it as crazy as the console black Fridays? Just wondering about the quantities and timing of codes. Methinks it is a different beast is why I'm asking. Shit is already insane on the console threads.

FYI- I started to STEAM around May and my backlog is in the "Stop yelling at me, babe, it'll be finished downloading in 20 minutes"! territory since the summer sale. Wife hates me...

[quote name='Eldredpe']If you're considering going for it I'd gladly hop in on that for a 2.50 copy.[/QUOTE]

Currently have a group buy post in Steam Group Buy/Gifts thread. I'll host if I can get 3 others.

[quote name='p-spiddy']This will be my first STEAM black Friday. Is it as crazy as the console black Fridays? Just wondering about the quantities and timing of codes. Methinks it is a different beast is why I'm asking. Shit is already insane on the console threads.

FYI- I started to STEAM around May and my backlog is in the "Stop yelling at me, babe, it'll be finished downloading in 20 minutes"! territory since the summer sale. Wife hates me...[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Steam Autumn sale is anything to really anticipate. They tend to go all out on the Summer (July) and Winter (Xmas) sales.

[quote name='aa.jetta']I don't think the Steam Autumn sale is anything to really anticipate. They tend to go all out on the Summer (July) and Winter (Xmas) sales.[/QUOTE]
There was that one year with the 12 packs of games. Normally tends to be a pretty good sale (of course it's better the less you own on steam) and last year the whole month of December had sales building up between Thanksgiving and Winter. As always there are chances games will go cheaper in the winter sale, but if you plan on playing immediately buy at whatever price you're comfortable with.

[quote name='p-spiddy']This will be my first STEAM black Friday. Is it as crazy as the console black Fridays? Just wondering about the quantities and timing of codes. Methinks it is a different beast is why I'm asking. Shit is already insane on the console threads.

FYI- I started to STEAM around May and my backlog is in the "Stop yelling at me, babe, it'll be finished downloading in 20 minutes"! territory since the summer sale. Wife hates me...[/QUOTE]

My advice - you'll want to hit those 75% off and (the much rarer) better percentage-off sales. Those are hard deals to pass up - b/c if you're throwing it into your backlog, there normally won't be much of a risk of a better sale is possibly coming soon + you do have the good chance that you ain't even touched the backlogged game yet when the next sale comes around!

You only buy a game on a Steam sale that is 75% off or lower, if it's really for something you believe will be amazing & that you're fiending to download it + play it ASAP. Trust me - there'll be a few titles that'll speak to you like that. I think for those games, those should be time-sink games (normally, RPG's fall under that category). For me, Skyrim was one of those games - as it's that game that I constantly end up going back to...and have logged around 105 hours into since I first got it (last X-Mas 2011, it was 33% off back then).

EDIT:
Also, there's a few titles that very rarely hit sales on Steam. You'll want to watch for these titles.
If you ever see Vampire: The Masquerades - Bloodlines or Jade Empire: Special Edition hit the $5 or less club, if for some reason you don't own them already & you do love RPG's - TAKE THEM.
Jade Empire is much rarer to see on sale than Bloodlines - as Bloodlines has been popping up on sale a little bit more often than its usual (once and a full moon); but still, Bloodlines doesn't hit a Steam sale VERY often.
Jade Empire might be on sale ONCE a year, if that...

So, no reason to go batshit waiting on a deal? Correct? Like, I just bought the Tomb Raider modern trilogy for $10 and am happy because I've never played any of them. But then I'll see it for $0.50 cheaper and kick myself? I was warned about STEAM. Now I know the cost. I'm shaq'd aren't I?

[quote name='p-spiddy']So, no reason to go batshit waiting on a deal? Correct? Like, I just bought the Tomb Raider modern trilogy for $10 and am happy because I've never played any of them. But then I'll see it for $0.50 cheaper and kick myself? I was warned about STEAM. Now I know the cost. I'm shaq'd aren't I?[/QUOTE]

I doubt you'll kick yourself over 50 freaking cents! LOL.

This are really depends, honestly...

We're not really going by price-point, but percentage off here. This is how Steam - and most of them at digital stores - chop prices.

Right now, 75% off for TR: Legend + Anniversary + Underworld each. I'd say - you did just fine on going w/ this deal. :)
That's how you should play the game here - especially if you do plan to back-log anything, you should wait for that 75% off point.

75% off is a magic point for me - and probably most CAG's here for Steam sales.
If you do see something you want at 75% off - TAKE IT.
It normally doesn't get much better than that.

Chances of ANY game hitting at better than 75% off on Steam is often VERY RARE.
If you do see something you want at a better percentage than 75% - ABSOLUTELY TAKE IT!!!
It's VERY RARE to see something hit 85% or even especially 90% off on STEAM - MOST DEFINITELY TAKE THOSE!!!

Anything below 75% off - gauge the game and decide if it's something you are going to play RIGHT NOW AND also get a lot of mileage out of. This is different for most people - i.e. long-winded RPG's like Skyrim are the kind of games I don't mind spending smaller percentages off on (i.e. 33% off). Some people gets tons of mileage out of something like COD games b/c they play the living Hell out of the MP. Many people play the hell out of the Assassin's Creed series b/c they love to do all the main quests, side quests, and collect-a-thons - and they'll get LOTS of hours out of finding everything (or close to it).

Good advice. I'd also add a couple other points:

• Don't buy a game that isn't a daily deal! Unless it's 75% off (and even then) there's a chance it will be cheaper. Wait until the last day of the sale.
  • Capcom and Activision are notorious for not having good discounts. If one of their games is 66% off or more, grab it because it may not be that cheap again.
  • AAA or major publisher games generally don't drop below $20 non-sale price and $5 (75% off) sale price. If you see one at this price you want, grab it.
  • Valve, Sega, THQ, SquareEnix/Eidos, and 2K are known for having very good discounts. Expect every Valve first-party game to be at least 75% off at least once during the Winter sale. Expect high profile 2012 games from the others to drop in price considerably (ex: Borderlands 2).
  • Corollary: Sometimes the best deals on the above publishers' games aren't on Steam -- and that's fine! These publishers are all known for using Steamworks almost exclusively now, so odds are you'll be buying a key that activates on Steam. If you have any doubt though, ask in this thread.
  • Indie games are usually a "bad" purchase. Many of them end up in indie bundles that provide a handful of Steam keys for anywhere from $1-8.

Edit: I keep thinking of new points :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back