The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Got Faery Solitaire. Thanks. =P

Also, just beat Bioshock Infinite about an hour ago. Still not sure if I agree with one aspect of the ending. But I still think I like Bioshock's story better.

Someone talk me into (or out of) the Hitman Collection currently on its last few hours for the Weekend Deal. Fifteen dollars seems like a good enough price to bite but I have never played any of the games before. It seems that Blood Money is considered the best based on the reviews of this thread. I would simply pick this one up but the overall price of the collection is too good not to splurge and pick up the rest of the games.

The only hesitation that I have is that I'm not the biggest fan of stealth games. This is mostly due to me just kind of sucking at them. For instance, I tried to get into Dishonored but just couldn't really master the stealth system in that game. It seemed like every little thing I did had guards chasing me. Not sure if it was my frame of mind at the time of playing or what. Regardless, I plan on trying it again sometime later but have decided to shelve it for other things. I did, however, really dig Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Any suggestions or recommendations to help deter me or influence me to pick up this pack would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have also watched videos of the three games and feel like I would enjoy them should I take the proper amount of time to master the stealth elements. I think I just need the go head from someone here to bite.

[quote name='bantheradio']Someone talk me into (or out of) the Hitman Collection currently on its last few hours for the Weekend Deal. Fifteen dollars seems like a good enough price to bite but I have never played any of the games before. It seems that Blood Money is considered the best based on the reviews of this thread. I would simply pick this one up but the overall price of the collection is too good not to splurge and pick up the rest of the games.

The only hesitation that I have is that I'm not the biggest fan of stealth games. This is mostly due to me just kind of sucking at them. For instance, I tried to get into Dishonored but just couldn't really master the stealth system in that game. It seemed like every little thing I did had guards chasing me. Not sure if it was my frame of mind at the time of playing or what. Regardless, I plan on trying it again sometime later but have decided to shelve it for other things. I did, however, really dig Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Any suggestions or recommendations to help deter me or influence me to pick up this pack would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have also watched videos of the three games and feel like I would enjoy them should I take the proper amount of time to master the stealth elements. I think I just need the go head from someone here to bite.[/QUOTE]

Just buy it. All of the games are unique in that there are many, many ways to complete the levels, it is not linear like dishonored. Absolution is my 2012 GoTY. If you liked Splinter Cell but wished that there were more ways to complete your mission, the Hitman games are right for you.

[quote name='bantheradio']Someone talk me into (or out of) the Hitman Collection currently on its last few hours for the Weekend Deal. Fifteen dollars seems like a good enough price to bite but I have never played any of the games before. It seems that Blood Money is considered the best based on the reviews of this thread. I would simply pick this one up but the overall price of the collection is too good not to splurge and pick up the rest of the games.

EDIT: I have also watched videos of the three games and feel like I would enjoy them should I take the proper amount of time to master the stealth elements. I think I just need the go head from someone here to bite.[/QUOTE]

If you want to play a good Hitman game, besides Blood Money and Absolution, try Hitman Contracts. Unfortunately it's not available on Steam, but I think there are boxed copies on Amazon.

With all of this talk about Blades of Time, does anyone know how it compares to X-Blades? If you have played either/both, it is such an improvement that I should have both? As I recall that I have xblades from the BeMine 6 bundle.

[quote name='AgentW']With all of this talk about Blades of Time, does anyone know how it compares to X-Blades? If you have played either/both, it is such an improvement that I should have both? As I recall that I have xblades from the BeMine 6 bundle.[/QUOTE]

Blades of Time has a mechanic that allows you to clone past versions of yourself, like P.B. Winterbottom with swords. It's also generally more polished and a tighter gameplay experience.

[quote name='AgentW']With all of this talk about Blades of Time, does anyone know how it compares to X-Blades? If you have played either/both, it is such an improvement that I should have both? As I recall that I have xblades from the BeMine 6 bundle.[/QUOTE]

Blades of Time is fucking awesome. Please knife ur self in the groin if you haven't played it yet. I haven't played X-Blades since I snagged it for $0.99 in some bundle.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']anyone else having trouble getting the free solitare game? It keeps failing to log me in:cry: I actually really wanted to give it a try too[/QUOTE]
try turning off noscript or using a different browser, it wasn't working for me either, then I opened it up in Chrome instead and it went through no problem.

No one should compare Blades of Time to X-Blades. Blades of Time isn't just an "improvement".. it's a completely different and superior game. If you like the genre, I would recommend getting Blades of Time.

[quote name='elessar123']Got Faery Solitaire. Thanks. =P

Also, just beat Bioshock Infinite about an hour ago. Still not sure if I agree with one aspect of the ending. But I still think I like Bioshock's story better.[/QUOTE]

I think I know exactly what aspect you're referring to and I can't help but agree it kind of sours the whole thing a bit.

MAJOR MAJOR BIOSHOCK INFINITE SPOILERS, Seriously don't click if you ain't played it.
The fact that drowning Booker at the baptism in one universe somehow alters the future of every universe. The only explanation I can think of is that it takes place in a "core" universe from which every other possible universe splits off. But the rest of the narrative doesn't really support this theory at all, and probably even contradicts it.

Still overall I was satisfied with the game and its story, and hopefully the DLC will amend some or all of those issues.

Thank you for the extra warning there. I compulsively click on spoiler links in posts, so it was with merit.

(I clicked and read it anyway, but I knew fully what I was getting myself into. Couldn't help myself. ;) )

[quote name='DPsycho']Thank you for the extra warning there. I compulsively click on spoiler links in posts, so it was with merit.

(I clicked and read it anyway, but I knew fully what I was getting myself into. Couldn't help myself. ;) )[/QUOTE]

IDK, double spoilers negative -- CAPS and red text.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']anyone else having trouble getting the free solitare game? It keeps failing to log me in:cry: I actually really wanted to give it a try too[/QUOTE]
You just have to keep trying. It took me 10-15 tries.

I played the X-Blades demo on the Xbox 360. It was a pretty generic hack and slash platformer, but it wasn't horrible. The graphics were fairly dated too (looked like a launch Xbox 360 game, very bland). Blades of Time is a spiritual successor, iirc, and from what I've heard (mostly from asheskitty ;)) is a very well done game.

There is a nude mod for X-Blades though...

[quote name='N3UROP0D']I think I know exactly what aspect you're referring to and I can't help but agree it kind of sours the whole thing a bit.[/QUOTE]

Not quite.

MAJOR MAJOR BIOSHOCK INFINITE SPOILERS, Seriously don't click if you ain't played it.
My main problem is that it feels like they drowned the player Booker, who is a Booker that obviously didn't choose baptism. If another Booker can exist as a separate entity, and be killed, there's no reason they couldn't have drowned the Booker that got baptized, and let the player Booker live. Same thing would happen to Elizabeth, of course, and the very last scene would still happen.

I think if they jumped to the exact instant that Booker split into the baptized and unbaptized, they would have prevented the split. And with how much knowledge Elizabeth had by the end, it was easily within the realm of possibility that she knew which instant that was.

I'm trying to think if it makes sense for all those Elizabeths to show up.

Not satisfied with the lack of Songbird story either.
I really expected the Songbird and Booker to be the same being at the beginning. Like if Booker failed to rescue Elizabeth, and instead becomes the Songbird to watch over her.

Also doesn't explain why his nose bleeds, yet he seems to not be affected like the other nose bleeders.

I have more, but I'm now too on-topic. Who talks about PC games in the Steam thread.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled spork discussion, already in progress.

[quote name='elessar123']Not quite.

I have more, but I'm now too on-topic. Who talks about PC games in the Steam thread.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled spork discussion, already in progress.[/QUOTE]

I think we're actually pretty much on the same page, just worded differently or viewed from a different angle. Either way, I feel ya dawg.

There is actually some pretty good discussion of this on various sites including the IGN Wiki (seriously) and Forbes.

[quote name='elessar123']Not quite.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled spork discussion, already in progress.[/QUOTE]

You think you're on topic?

I started updating the OP this weekend.

[quote name='Eldredpe']You think you're on topic?

I started updating the OP this weekend.[/QUOTE]

How am I supposed to complete with this?!?

[quote name='asheskitty']How am I supposed to complete with this?!?

[/QUOTE]

Leg flashing would indeed complete the OP. And I used red so you wouldn't feel left out. *huggles*

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Makes you wonder if 2K games is next in line for bankruptcy. X-Com and Bioshock Infinite for $5 this time next year?[/QUOTE]

With GTA 5 coming out this year, I think they'll be okay ;)

[quote name='Jon7']With GTA 5 coming out this year, I think they'll be okay ;)[/QUOTE]
Eh... They better do a damn good job with that game, or Saints Row is gonna kick their asses yet again.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Eh... They better do a damn good job with that game, or Saints Row is gonna kick their asses yet again.[/QUOTE]

Asses kicked?

Didn't GTAIV sell something like 25 million copies while Saints Row 3 sold like 4 million?

[quote name='SelmaBlair']Asses kicked?

Didn't GTAIV sell something like 25 million copies while Saints Row 3 sold like 4 million?[/QUOTE]
True, I guess I was just thinking from a quality/awesomeness/fun perspective, vs. amount of sales. After playing Saints Row, GTA kinda sucks.

Of course THQ exploded, after all, lol.

Even if GTA 5 winds up being awful, it will still likely sell more than SR4 based on name alone.

Saints Row 4 releasing a month before GTA5 is going to be interesting to look at how well it sells. Some people will pick it up to tide them over until GTA5 and others will ignore it feeling they don't need to get two similar games so close together.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Eh... They better do a damn good job with that game, or Saints Row is gonna kick their asses yet again.[/QUOTE]

Although neither company can properly write and optimize a PC game...

[quote name='SelmaBlair']Asses kicked?

Didn't GTAIV sell something like 25 million copies while Saints Row 3 sold like 4 million?[/QUOTE]

The same meaningless straw man argument used to justify activision in the Diablo 3 debacle.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Although neither company can properly write and optimize a PC game...[/QUOTE]

You are right but presently on an average system I can run SR3 on high at above average speeds, GTA 4 remains unplayable on anything but lowest of the low, Bully wasn't a walk in the park either back when it was released, I think Rockstar wins in the terrible PC port game.

[quote name='DonRamon']

You are right but presently on an average system I can run SR3 on high at above average speeds, GTA 4 remains unplayable on anything but lowest of the low, Bully wasn't a walk in the park either back when it was released, I think Rockstar wins in the terrible PC port game.[/QUOTE]

Even though it took several months and several patches, at least SR3 is playable on most systems now. GTA IV has been out for 6 years and Rockstar has not fixed it yet. I applaud 2K for their fantastic PC support.

[quote name='Idiotekque']True, I guess I was just thinking from a quality/awesomeness/fun perspective, vs. amount of sales. After playing Saints Row, GTA kinda sucks.

Of course THQ exploded, after all, lol.[/QUOTE]
Quality wise GTA4 was superior in every way. It was more polished, better story, better VO.

But they are also completely different games. GTA went for a more hyper realistic style as where SR went balls to the wall crazyness. I enjoyed both games. GTA5 looks to be another hyper realistic summer blockbuster action film style game where as SR4 again balls to the wall crazy. Completely different beast.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Although neither company can properly write and optimize a PC game...[/QUOTE]
Are you saying SR3 was a shitty PC port? Because you would be wrong. GTA 4? Yes, terrible port. Awful port.

SR3 i had 0 problems with, had a ton of great graphic options and ran like butter. GTA 4 on the other hand had a rocky launch and ran like shit. It's since been fixed (most of it) and community mods really help make the game shine even more. I can't wait to see texture modding in GTA 5, the incenhancer stuff is absolutely bananas.

[quote name='styl3s']Quality wise GTA4 was superior in every way. It was more polished, better story, better VO.

But they are also completely different games. GTA went for a more hyper realistic style as where SR went balls to the wall crazyness. I enjoyed both games. GTA5 looks to be another hyper realistic summer blockbuster action film style game where as SR4 again balls to the wall crazy. Completely different beast.

Are you saying SR3 was a shitty PC port? Because you would be wrong. GTA 4? Yes, terrible port. Awful port.

SR3 i had 0 problems with, had a ton of great graphic options and ran like butter. GTA 4 on the other hand had a rocky launch and ran like shit. It's since been fixed (most of it) and community mods really help make the game shine even more. I can't wait to see texture modding in GTA 5, the incenhancer stuff is absolutely bananas.[/QUOTE]

SR3 isn't a bad port now but at release it ran terribly on all but the very best video cards.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']SR3 isn't a bad port now but at release it ran terribly on all but the very best video cards.[/QUOTE]

I had no problems running it on a GTX 260 at release. IIRC, it had some performance issues with AMD cards. (...also, anonymous sources are reporting insider knowledge that the sun will rise tomorrow.)

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Ill wait for the BTA too drop. Too many repeats.[/QUOTE]

It kinda chaffs me that their doing it wrong, they're suppose to bundle the base game in hopes of selling the DLC...

It's like getting horse armor without having a horse to put it on.

[quote name='louiedog']It looks like the greenlight bundle site is down. Would anyone care to share what was on it?[/QUOTE]
Starcraft heart of the swarm, bioshock infinite, tomb raider, sim city drm free and my little pony horse armor dlc I might be missing one or two

All for a dollar

Lol at the dead space note.

All this talk about how shitty the GTA is on pc makes me kinda sad I picked up the steam sale. Are the episodes just as badly ported?

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Starcraft heart of the swarm, bioshock infinite, tomb raider, sim city drm free and my little pony horse armor dlc I might be missing one or two

All for a dollar[/QUOTE]

[quote name='asheskitty']Here
Green_Light_Bundle.png
[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Starcraft heart of the swarm, bioshock infinite, tomb raider, sim city drm free and my little pony horse armor dlc I might be missing one or two

All for a dollar[/QUOTE]

So the internet is really full of people this dumb? Why am I surprised? :hot:

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Too many repeats for me to bite on it.[/QUOTE]

It's the lack of Steam keys that's killing it for me. I mean, I really can't see Tomb Raider getting greenlit.

a better april fools joke would be if the bundle was legit and only lasted a few hours. that way everyone would kick themselves for not getting in on it.

[quote name='asheskitty'](...also, anonymous sources are reporting insider knowledge that the sun will rise tomorrow.)[/QUOTE]

Is that a ginger reference?

[quote name='elessar123']Is that a ginger reference?[/QUOTE]

I was poking fun at the sad state of affairs with AMD cards frequently having problems with games. -- A different version of Death & Taxes.

...or maybe it was a coded message to members of The Ginger Conspiracy. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back