Things you miss form your childhood?

The thought that the whole world was just like my own neighborhood, there was no war, no corruption, and everyone got along.

TMNT Crunchabungas.

Actually, my greatest wish is that I would be able to go back and live a few days in the 80s, as an adult. To be able to go to the mall and see new sealed NES games on the shelf. To see all of the styles and music as they actually happened. To experience the best of that wonderful decade, and to truly be able to appreciate it.

[quote name='Scorch']The thought that the whole world was just like my own neighborhood, there was no war, no corruption, and everyone got along.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I miss the innocence of being a kid. You thought that everyone out there had some good in them, and that the world was a wonderful place.

And the entire world was wide open for you to make your mark...

Gangs, religious fanatics trying to fuck me up...

The only thing I miss about my childhood is when my little brother was alive...

I win the "most fucked up childhood" award, I can't even remember the "innocence" of youth.

fuck nostalgia, I live for the present and future.

To go back and live in peaceful ignorance again. I miss those days. Not having to worry about any bills or anything. Just go out and play.

I miss a lot of things.

All the fads I went through. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Pokemon, Power Rangers... I remember being obsessed with all of those.

I miss having no responsibilities. Now it's like I can't go a few days in a row without having anything to worry about (and I have a pretty easy life). I can't take off work because I have bills to pay. I can't binge on video games because there's always another exam looming in one of my classes at college. A lot of my freedom is stripped.

I miss hanging out at my cousin's and playing Super Nintendo all day (and night).... I miss sleepovers with friends, summers of absolutely nothingness and renting games every weekend...

I could go on but I'll stop for now.

i miss thinking that the worst thing that can happen is that my parents get into another argument or my dad yells at me for not practicing the piano for long enough. i miss thinking that 30 minutes of homework was a lot of homework. i miss not having to worry about bills and being more ignorant about life in general. i miss being forced to go to bed at 8 PM, hahahahahaha.

man, what i'd give to be a kid again....

[quote name='Thongsy']To go back and live in peaceful ignorance again. I miss those days. Not having to worry about any bills or anything. Just go out and play.[/quote]

My friends and I always talked about the good old days. One thing we seemed to all relate to was just how green the grass was, how blue the sky was, etc. I know it sounds weird, but maybe some of you can relate.

[quote name='bobo2k4']The ability to get anything I want by screaming really loud.

Damn was I spoiled.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Hell, I can do that TODAY and still get what I want. Not that I actually do that, but my parents spoil me just as much now as they did when I was a kid.

I would say the innocence of being a kid, and having lots of friends at school, recess, easy ass school days with little work, having crushes on boys in my class who I now think are fugly morons, etc.

[quote name='evilmax17']
Actually, my greatest wish is that I would be able to go back and live a few days in the 80s, as an adult. To be able to go to the mall and see new sealed NES games on the shelf. To see all of the styles and music as they actually happened. To experience the best of that wonderful decade, and to truly be able to appreciate it.[/quote]

I would love to go to some of the places I remember and see them as they were at the time.

As a (small) example, a couple of weeks ago I was in a building which used to house a Toy City store. This is in Fountain Valley, CA. It moved from a smaller store across the street to a really big store. I can still see what it looks like in my mind.

It closed after a couple years. I think the chain went bankrupt. Now it's a Japanese 99 cent store, which is so totally cool in its own right. But while I was there, I couldn't help but think of what it used to be, and how I'd love to be able to see it one more time the way it was.

Another example would be Westminster Mall. In the center of the mall, there was this absolutely huge sculpture hung from the ceiling. It was wood and wire and cables and the size of it was just incredible. I used to walk under it, looking up, counting the steps.

The mall got a facelift a few years ago, and the sculpture got tossed. I guess it was too 70s or it interfered with the new stores they put in the middle.

I guess I can see these things again, in memory, but there are so many places and things now that exist only there. And memory tends to not be so reliable. Were the things really that great, that big? Would I care about them now?

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']My friends and I always talked about the good old days. One thing we seemed to all relate to was just how green the grass was, how blue the sky was, etc. I know it sounds weird, but maybe some of you can relate.[/QUOTE]

I think I know what you mean.

When you look back at your life (at least those with enjoyable childhoods), you tend to filter out the bad.

You don't realize that when you were young, you were sad a lot. You wished you had money to buy things, you wish you were older and had more freedom, you wish you didn't have your parents on your case all the time, etc, etc... so the thing is, when you're looking back it's always an idealized view on things... when you paint a mental picture, everything is perfect. The setting is much like you described: green grass, blue skies, etc...

I just went outside to start my car. It's like 15 degrees out. When I think back to memories of Christmas and whatnot, I don't remember freezing my ass off like I just did a few minutes ago... I think of walking outside in a peaceful setting with snow gently falling, etc...

Maybe that's not what you meant, though.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']I think I know what you mean.

When you look back at your life (at least those with enjoyable childhoods), you tend to filter out the bad.

You don't realize that when you were young, you were sad a lot. You wished you had money to buy things, you wish you were older and had more freedom, you wish you didn't have your parents on your case all the time, etc, etc... so the thing is, when you're looking back it's always an idealized view on things... when you paint a mental picture, everything is perfect. The setting is much like you described: green grass, blue skies, etc...

I just went outside to start my car. It's like 15 degrees out. When I think back to memories of Christmas and whatnot, I don't remember freezing my ass off like I just did a few minutes ago... I think of walking outside in a peaceful setting with snow gently falling, etc...

Maybe that's not what you meant, though.[/quote]

I think you pretty much nailed it. It's mostly that, plus a little bit of the fact that kids just are more observant of things we take for granted now that we're older. I spent many days as a child just running around playing with the world around me; now I have too many things to do to notice the green grass and blue skies.

... The only thing I really miss is the ability to do absolutely nothing for months at a time. Now I'd starve to death. Growing up sucks and getting old is worse.

Life just sucks all around.

[quote name='blandstalker']I guess I can see these things again, in memory, but there are so many places and things now that exist only there. And memory tends to not be so reliable. Were the things really that great, that big? Would I care about them now?[/QUOTE]

Wow, bland (and evilmax)...those are awesome memories. I can completely relate.

I often "fantasize" about being able to go back if for nothing more than to simply walk through some of my favorite childhood stores.

Whenever I enter an abandoned building (or maybe like a place that used to be a favorite store of mine that is now something else), it always seems to me that it was smaller than I remembered it. Perhaps it's because I was smaller at the time and, proportionately-speaking, it was bigger, relative to the size I am now... but I don't think that's the case. Your memories tend to exaggerate the way things were, I think... at least from my experiences.

But God, I would love to check out some of the old video stores I used to rent from... there were like five mom-and-pop shops around here... all of 'em are gone now, having since been replaced by Blockbuster and Hollywood video stores.

Or my Grandma used to work at the food court in Target... so I have really fond memories of that place. They actually switched locations (to accommodate a "Super Target"), and the old place is now closed... I really wanna go back inside there -- even though it's empty and deserted.

There's a movie where a janitor finds himself locked in Target with a couple of robbers and some teen sweetheart or whatever... anyway, the set of that place is based on Target stores from the early 90's. I love that movie... I think part of the reason is just seeing the set of that place brings back a ton of nostalgic memories of the past...

i miss playing street fighter 2: hyper fighting late night with my friends at the arcade while my mom played endless nights of bingo at the bowling alley

and when we got tired of that, it was world heroes 2, bitch!

Only getting one new game every few months and then sitting for those few months spending hours on end trying to beat that one game before you even THINK of playing anything else, and if you beat the game what'd you do? You sat and beat it again and again until you got a new game for getting good marks on your report card.

Those were the days.

Being small and living in a very small, secure world. Life revolved around MY day.

-Wake up
-eat breakfast with Mom and Dad before he went to work
-put on my favorite cowgirl skirt and top (blue denim with red fringe, yee haw!!) that I wore almost every single day
-entertained myself (read a book, build with fakie legos, play with dollies, sit in my closet (my favorite place) and interview myself in the mirror, ride my big wheel around the cul-de-sac, play in the backyard, play on the jungle gym in the backyard, draw and color)
-have lunch
-entertain myself some more or go out with Mom to the Grocery Store (where I was allowed to take my toy grocery cart and I'd push it around next to Mom), to any store (and look at everything, but rarely buy anything), to the mall (same as any store), to the library where she volunteered (and spend hours in the back supply room where I'd paint or draw or cut construction paper and make things or sit under one of the adult tables in the main library and read), to the retirement home where she volunteered (and do whatever craft they all were working on that day).
-Take a nap.
-Spend time with my big brother when he came home from school. Sometimes we'd sit in his room and listen to his AM transister radio. =)
-Wait for Dad to come home (this was a certainty... he would always come home, as certain as the sun would rise... My Father passed away suddenly the summer of my high school graduation. The certainty of childhood that Dad would come home and that everything was fine in the world because parents always made it so, that I miss the most.)
-eat dinner at the table with Mom and Dad and Jim and play chess with Dad.
-watch tv with Mom and Dad and Jim (news and star trek I remember watching mostly)
-bath
-sleep

As a kid you never think beyond what you are doing. Oh, you may look forward to something later that week, that's not what I mean. You just accept that there's always food there. You don't have any needs or worries that you need contemplate and plan for. You're sick, Mom takes you to the doctor, you don't have any idea about the cost of the appointment or medication. You're told that the toy you want can't be afforded, but you never really understand why; it's simply a frustration and disappointment.

That's a beautiful luxury.

But for me it was nothing compared to being able to spend time with my Daddy. He was security and stability. He was tall and stood straight but walked with a gentle step. And nothing was ever wrong with him around. He could fix whatever was wrong with the car or the dishwasher or the roof or the lawnmower. He could tell funny stories about his day at work or in traffic and laugh at himself and at absurdity. He was smart and would have interesting discussions or problems for you to work out with him. He'd play Sharks in the Water with you during the Cowboys half time show (he'd stretch out on the sofa and be the boat... he'd hold you tight and rock back and forth, so you'd hang a bit over the edge of the couch... would the sharks come and get you? NO! Just in time the boat would rock the other way where you were safe.) He'd play board games and card games and be the worlds most obvious cheat and say REAL LOUD "OHHHHHHHH Don't take a card from Mom! She just got the Old Maid!"

He asked me once what I wanted to be when I grew up. It was about three weeks after seeing the Cowboys play in Texas Stadium so I said, "a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader!" And he said they were pretty, but I could be so much more. An archetect or an astronaut or... I think he fancied I'd be my generations' Ayn Rand. (I've sorely disappointed him there. *tears*) At the moment his confidence in me and his support of me to be more than just a pretty face, but a person of substance... that didn't hit me consciously. Years later, I've seen how it meant more to me than anything I could explain.

I miss having my Daddy around.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']no cares or concerns besides gettin up in time for Sat Morning cartoons[/quote]

Garfield/USA Acres was a must watch. Along with Muppet Babies, Beakman's World, Gummi Bears ... ahhhh the memories

[quote name='Purple Flames']Only getting one new game every few months and then sitting for those few months spending hours on end trying to beat that one game before you even THINK of playing anything else, and if you beat the game what'd you do? You sat and beat it again and again until you got a new game for getting good marks on your report card.[/quote]
There's definitely that for me too.. I remember I got this Ren & Stimpy game for the Sega Genesis when I learned how to tie my shoes or something like that. It was awesome. :cool:

I really miss all the freedom.. there's way too much responsibility now. School, work, everything.. it's crap. I wish I could just sit around and not have to worry about anything for even a couple days again.

[quote name='Maklershed']Garfield/USA Acres was a must watch. Along with Muppet Babies, Beakman's World, Gummi Bears ... ahhhh the memories[/quote]

If I remember right, Beakman Actually got another show... or was supposed to, not too long ago. I couldn't watch it as I got rid of my cable from lack of watching it...

Bill Nye got a new show not too long ago... *wanders off to btjunkie....*

[quote name='guinaevere']But for me it was nothing compared to being able to spend time with my Daddy. He was security and stability. He was tall and stood straight but walked with a gentle step. And nothing was ever wrong with him around. He could fix whatever was wrong with the car or the dishwasher or the roof or the lawnmower. He could tell funny stories about his day at work or in traffic and laugh at himself and at absurdity. He was smart and would have interesting discussions or problems for you to work out with him. He'd play Sharks in the Water with you during the Cowboys half time show (he'd stretch out on the sofa and be the boat... he'd hold you tight and rock back and forth, so you'd hang a bit over the edge of the couch... would the sharks come and get you? NO! Just in time the boat would rock the other way where you were safe.) He'd play board games and card games and be the worlds most obvious cheat and say REAL LOUD "OHHHHHHHH Don't take a card from Mom! She just got the Old Maid!"

He asked me once what I wanted to be when I grew up. It was about three weeks after seeing the Cowboys play in Texas Stadium so I said, "a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader!" And he said they were pretty, but I could be so much more. An archetect or an astronaut or... I think he fancied I'd be my generations' Ayn Rand. (I've sorely disappointed him there. *tears*) At the moment his confidence in me and his support of me to be more than just a pretty face, but a person of substance... that didn't hit me consciously. Years later, I've seen how it meant more to me than anything I could explain.

I miss having my Daddy around.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Debbie Downer :cry:

[quote name='Kayden']If I remember right, Beakman Actually got another show... or was supposed to, not too long ago. [/quote]

I know they've been playing his show on Saturday mornings lately but I dont think they're new episodes. I still enjoy watching them however. Also, Wubb's avatar always reminds me of the two penguins at the beginning of the show that would argue with each other ... Don and Frank?

I miss staying up and watching beavis and butthead with my dad while my mom was getting ready to work 3rd shift at the hospital. It never failed, she would always catch us and then proceed to bitch at my dad for letting me watch it.

The next night, it was back to beavis and butthead when she was getting ready. :lol:

I miss coming home, doing my homework, or having done it in school, and then going outside for hours and hours playing sports and just chillin. They also don't make shows like they used to, the "Salute Your Shorts"s, "Hey Dude"s, Wild N Crazy kIds', etc.

Like many have said the biggest thing is just not having any responsibilities besides getting school work done, and actually enjoying life instead of working all the fucking time.

[quote name='Maklershed']I know they've been playing his show on Saturday mornings lately but I dont think they're new episodes. I still enjoy watching them however. Also, Wubb's avatar always reminds me of the two penguins at the beginning of the show that would argue with each other ... Don and Frank?[/quote]

Don and Herb apparently.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106367/

[quote name='gizmogc']Thanks Debbie Downer :cry:[/QUOTE]
Tell me about it. I was having fun reminiscing and wound up crying over here.
grumps.gif

Just go watch Ed, Edd, and Eddy, or read a ton of Calvin and Hobbes.

I didn't lead lives like those characters exactly, but they capture the essence of childhood so purely and whimsically. Just this inherent beauty in the here-and-now, that every single day of your life is bursting at the seems with possibility and wonder. That today you might dig up pirate treasure, and tomorrow you might go to the arcade, and the next day you have a soccer game (where you already know you're going to score the winning goal).

That from the second you woke up and faintly closed your eyes and the end of the day, every second in between stretched for miles and hours and eons, and that when you looked up at the solemn stars at night, you dreamt about flying through them when you finally fell asleep.

There's not many events I miss that are so singular, so much as I miss the embodiment of that idyllic time. That when you first come to understand "youth is wasted on the young," you realized how much more everything was back then, and how much more it all could have been.

I still hope, one day, that I'll be caught up in that sort of childhood adventure and fantasy. That a meteor will touch down near my house, and I'll grab a bat and take off for the horizon, and meet friends along the way...

That the best and most honest phrase I think I have ever heard is, simply, "You can never go home again."

Also, guin, don't be the next Ayn Rand. She was nuts.

[quote name='guinaevere']Tell me about it. I was having fun reminiscing and wound up crying over here.
grumps.gif
[/QUOTE]

That was a really beautiful story. I'm glad that you had someone positive in your life like your father. He was a great influence, because you turned out very well. :)

God this topic rocks. I can't stop replying.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']no cares or concerns besides gettin up in time for Sat Morning cartoons[/QUOTE]

I once missed an episode of Power Rangers (it was one that was continued from the week before), because I woke up like an hour late.

I started crying.

I was like 10!

[quote name='AlienLX']There's definitely that for me too.. I remember I got this Ren & Stimpy game for the Sega Genesis when I learned how to tie my shoes or something like that. It was awesome. :cool:[/QUOTE]

What a game! My grandma always used to rent me games... I remember that I went to Blockbuster like two dozen times to rent that game, but it was always rented out. I finally got it as a gift for my birthday or something. But man, the hunt to get that game was so fun...

I can't believe I haven't mentioned this:

www.retrojunk.com

That place is like nostalgia headquarters. If you were a child in the 80's or 90's, that place kicks ass. KICKS ASS!

Man, as if getting laid off didn't have me depressed enough, now all of this. The days of going out to ride your bike and not knowing what adventure you might find... Actually wanting to get up at the ass crack of dawn to watch Saturday morning cartoons... There's so much to miss, even beyond the general experiences.

I miss Waffle-o's cereal, although Eggo Cereal is a damn fine replacement.

I miss Lionel Playworld, where I blew all my NES savings on clearance Starcom figures, then convinced my dad to get me the NES with Mario & Duck Hunt, and a copy of Zelda.

I miss that book club at school where they'd pass out order forms, I'd take it home and beg my mom for all kinds of books, and then the wait for the big box of books to arrive at the school. It was always especially cool when you'd come in from lunch recess and there was a stack of new books on your desk.

I miss sleepovers that consisted of as many pizzas as we could order, a Sega Genesis, and either Toejam and Earl or Gain Ground, the two greatest all nighter games ever created.

I miss riding on the bottom of the shopping carts. Does anyone remember when they reduced that underbasket space so much? I know there was more space under there when I was a kid.

I miss when Happy Meal toys were "Collect a new toy each week". Nowadays, there's 8 or more toys with each theme, and it always seems like they give you a random toy, even though they're numbered. I swear, sometimes I'll get a happy meal, and it's toy #2 (Yes, I still get happy meals. Nice little meal and a free toy? Sounds like a deal to me.), then I'll get a happy meal the next day, and it's toy #6. What happened?

I miss my Commodore 64, that was donated to a charity when we got our first PC. Emulator's be damned, I miss those 5 1/4" disks with games I had programmed from "Compute's Gazette".

I miss coloring books... In fact, screw it. I'm going up to the store tomorrow and buying a coloring book and some crayons. The job hunt can wait a day.

SaucyJack, I thank you sincerely for the compliment.

[quote name='Strell']Just go watch Ed, Edd, and Eddy[/quote]Good choice for guys. Not as appropriate for gals. But the opening song is great stuff.

or read a ton of Calvin and Hobbes.
More awesome stuff.

I didn't lead lives like those characters exactly, but they capture the essence of childhood so purely and whimsically. Just this inherent beauty in the here-and-now, that every single day of your life is bursting at the seems with possibility and wonder.
Exactly. And you don't have to be a carbon copy of a character to identify with them. =)

I still hope, one day, that I'll be caught up in that sort of childhood adventure and fantasy. That a meteor will touch down near my house, and I'll grab a bat and take off for the horizon, and meet friends along the way...
That's very poetic, Strell. I know y'all will laugh at me for thinking that way, but that's how I am. Me, I'm waiting to jump aboard a pirate ship and sleep on hammocks. =)

That the best and most honest phrase I think I have ever heard is, simply, "You can never go home again.'
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is too true. I loved the house I grew up in because I was a child there. Loved the street, neighbors, and whole area too. About 7 years ago I decided to drive 1300 miles to revisit it. And... it's all different. Same house, same street, even some of the same neighbors. But looking at the towering trees you used to climb is different when you're nearing 6feet tall and you used to be about 3 feet tall when you climbed them.

Also, guin, don't be the next Ayn Rand. She was nuts.
Was she? I have to bow to your insight because I didn't know.

I enjoyed most of what I've read of her. I know she was something along the lines of an Athiest and I'm a Christian. But I love her spirit of pride in what Man can accomplish when allowed to strive and achieve and excel, not for a state, but for the sake of doing what he knows he's able to. If only she didn't give chapters of her books to lend to rants and speeches. I always find there are about 30-odd pages in each of her books that I want to condense down to two or three.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']no cares or concerns besides gettin up in time for Sat Morning cartoons[/quote]=D Me and my big bro would drag our sleeping blankets into the living room and watch The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show and Dungeons & Dragons. Now THAT was good stuff.

[quote name='guinaevere']
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is too true. I loved the house I grew up in because I was a child there. Loved the street, neighbors, and whole area too. About 7 years ago I decided to drive 1300 miles to revisit it. And... it's all different. Same house, same street, even some of the same neighbors. But looking at the towering trees you used to climb is different when you're nearing 6feet tall and you used to be about 3 feet tall when you climbed them.
[/QUOTE]

Just recently - and the CAGs that run around in the OTT already know this - my family sold my childhood home. Not house.

Home.

My mom had talked about selling it forever - at least the last 10 years. And within the last five, they finally fixed it up enough to put it on the market. It closed a little over a month ago. I spent the last 2 nights that we officially owned it alone in my entirely-empty room, on the ground, without pillows or blankets or anything. I did have my computer and I got online a few times, but that was about it.

I experienced a million worthwhile things in that house, things far too numerous to write down here, that leaving it sort of gutted an entire percentage clean from my soul.

About two weeks ago, the new owners were talking to my mom, and the subject of a small walkway we'd made came up. It was just a bunch of bricks in the front yard that led from the front door to the side porch, and my parents put it in quite a while ago, getting very specific bricks for it and everything. Apparently the wife is a landscaper, and she didn't want them, so I was asked to go and dig them all up and haul them out to our current house (which belonged to my late grandmother, so it at least retains a good bit of familiarity).

It was a very odd experience - going to one's until-very-recently former home, and doing (on an incredibly small scale) demolition. That I was breaking away part of the house that I cherished, and then taking it with me to a new place.

The only other thing I noticed was that the new owners took out the wet bar we had near the front door, which I think is a stupendously bad move.

I grew up at that house, always went back to it on the weekends from college (I hated my roomie and the campus I was at), watched the park across the street lose ancient trees, get a frisbee golf course, have said course ripped out because the college students were assholes, finally get a path, and change colors infinitely. I had a go kart I almost ran into the creek on a few occasions, and this was after getting the engine drawstring/starter cord caught in at least 5 different trees, which always initiated a marathon of rock and stick throwing to get that vital and crucial component back down.

I had birthday parties there - one including a moon jump - and played countless sports.

The alley behind our house was an endless race track, with a hill on one side, where I rode bikes for as long as I can remember.

And all the street lamps that glowed an eerie orange light in the middle of midnight, when my friends and I skulked around and feeling like kings of the neighborhood. Of the epic parties thrown and all the cuts and bruises and tears and everything else I'll ever experience.

And now, when I drive by it, they've already cut down the tree we had in the front yard that I'd wrap Christmas lights around. That the vines that grew up the side of the house - the brick now stained a deep green - have been cut away.

That those immortal numbers on Camelot street are no longer mine.

I am 24. I spent all 24 years in that house. Even when we moved to Austin for a year, that house was still ours, and when we came back to it, I still remember walking upstairs to what was my former room, and thought - I wonder if that ball is still up in the corner I lost so many years ago. And then as I breathed in the deep and cool air - it was January - all I could think about was setting up my bed, a tv, and finishing Secret of Mana, as I was in the 4 seasons forest area.

I can't have any of that back. And even if the owners took off in a few years and I could afford the house, it wouldn't feel the same. That all those slight twinges I'd feel at my absence of that holy place - the Christmases I'd celebrate far from it's familiar walls, the mail I'm getting in another box, the food that's being cooked on another stove - cannot be replaced if I were able to attain it back.

That it's gone.

It's all gone.

For the most part, it has been easier than I expected. That losing a home isn't nearly as traumatic as I expected it to be.

However, those last nights I spent in the house, I noticed something terribly sad.

When you take everything out of a house, it gets cold. Immeasurably cold. No matter if you're on the last weeks of Summer in Texas, and you put the A/C up to about 85, it is still unbelievably cold in your home.

As if it had died and was relinquishing part of itself as I left and closed the door for the last time.

On that final day, my parents kept telling me I could leave, that we had nothing else to do. I refused for a while. They kept asking me how much longer I'd stick around.

Until you guys tell me I can't anymore.

You can never go back home.

The belief that you were judged on your merits and not your connections.
The feeling of being indestructable and that death was so far away.
The feeling that days lasted forever and now they seem like they fly by.
Captain Kangaroo.
Star Wars was a good thing and didn't represent the very definition of greed in all forms.

I miss being a kid in general. Everything was great only three things sucked. But they don't outweigh all the great things about being a kid.

The only three things about being a kid that sucked was; My parents never had money to do much. I remember I saved $5 and got super-excited about that, bought myself a G.I. Joe with it. I got picked on a lot at school until 6th grade.

Also my life was great until I was about 11 or so. All my friends moved away. That sucked so much, my sister was a teenager and running around with her friends. I had no friends locally. I had one friend across town, and another friend a town over. But I couldn't go outside and play with anyone. That sucked I felt like I was alone. I stayed inside and played video games all the time...still do actually but I have friends locally now.

Home is where your ass rests. A house is just some wood. Be attached to the people and the memories within, not the physical structure itself. You act like your parents would have loved you less if the boards were arranged differently.

[quote name='Strell']Just recently - and the CAGs that run around in the OTT already know this - my family sold my childhood home. Not house.

Home.

My mom had talked about selling it forever - at least the last 10 years. And within the last five, they finally fixed it up enough to put it on the market. It closed a little over a month ago. I spent the last 2 nights that we officially owned it alone in my entirely-empty room, on the ground, without pillows or blankets or anything. I did have my computer and I got online a few times, but that was about it.

I experienced a million worthwhile things in that house, things far too numerous to write down here, that leaving it sort of gutted an entire percentage clean from my soul.

About two weeks ago, the new owners were talking to my mom, and the subject of a small walkway we'd made came up. It was just a bunch of bricks in the front yard that led from the front door to the side porch, and my parents put it in quite a while ago, getting very specific bricks for it and everything. Apparently the wife is a landscaper, and she didn't want them, so I was asked to go and dig them all up and haul them out to our current house (which belonged to my late grandmother, so it at least retains a good bit of familiarity).

It was a very odd experience - going to one's until-very-recently former home, and doing (on an incredibly small scale) demolition. That I was breaking away part of the house that I cherished, and then taking it with me to a new place.

The only other thing I noticed was that the new owners took out the wet bar we had near the front door, which I think is a stupendously bad move.

I grew up at that house, always went back to it on the weekends from college (I hated my roomie and the campus I was at), watched the park across the street lose ancient trees, get a frisbee golf course, have said course ripped out because the college students were assholes, finally get a path, and change colors infinitely. I had a go kart I almost ran into the creek on a few occasions, and this was after getting the engine drawstring/starter cord caught in at least 5 different trees, which always initiated a marathon of rock and stick throwing to get that vital and crucial component back down.

I had birthday parties there - one including a moon jump - and played countless sports.

The alley behind our house was an endless race track, with a hill on one side, where I rode bikes for as long as I can remember.

And all the street lamps that glowed an eerie orange light in the middle of midnight, when my friends and I skulked around and feeling like kings of the neighborhood. Of the epic parties thrown and all the cuts and bruises and tears and everything else I'll ever experience.

And now, when I drive by it, they've already cut down the tree we had in the front yard that I'd wrap Christmas lights around. That the vines that grew up the side of the house - the brick now stained a deep green - have been cut away.

That those immortal numbers on Camelot street are no longer mine.

I am 24. I spent all 24 years in that house. Even when we moved to Austin for a year, that house was still ours, and when we came back to it, I still remember walking upstairs to what was my former room, and thought - I wonder if that ball is still up in the corner I lost so many years ago. And then as I breathed in the deep and cool air - it was January - all I could think about was setting up my bed, a tv, and finishing Secret of Mana, as I was in the 4 seasons forest area.

I can't have any of that back. And even if the owners took off in a few years and I could afford the house, it wouldn't feel the same. That all those slight twinges I'd feel at my absence of that holy place - the Christmases I'd celebrate far from it's familiar walls, the mail I'm getting in another box, the food that's being cooked on another stove - cannot be replaced if I were able to attain it back.

That it's gone.

It's all gone.

For the most part, it has been easier than I expected. That losing a home isn't nearly as traumatic as I expected it to be.

However, those last nights I spent in the house, I noticed something terribly sad.

When you take everything out of a house, it gets cold. Immeasurably cold. No matter if you're on the last weeks of Summer in Texas, and you put the A/C up to about 85, it is still unbelievably cold in your home.

As if it had died and was relinquishing part of itself as I left and closed the door for the last time.

On that final day, my parents kept telling me I could leave, that we had nothing else to do. I refused for a while. They kept asking me how much longer I'd stick around.

Until you guys tell me I can't anymore.

You can never go back home.[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']Home is where your ass rests. A house is just some wood. Be attached to the people and the memories within, not the physical structure itself. You act like your parents would have loved you less if the boards were arranged differently.[/QUOTE]

Listen. You're an idiot if you honestly can't understand what I'm getting at.

Wow, I think it's threads like this that makes me love Cheapassgamer. Sure, I save some money on games, but I think it's knowing there are people out there like me, going through some of the same stuff as me. You obviously know with 300 million in the U.S, there are tons of people going through stuff just like you, but it's nice to see it.

My parents just sold my childhood home. They just packed up and finished leaving last week. It was surreal, I left 5 years ago, so coming back was always odd. My room changed, as they fixed up the house, it was always a strange mix of where I grew up, but a bit different. Yet, coming by once every few weeks was always nice. That won't happen anymore. I have a lot of the stuff my parents didn't want at my house now. So, in a sense, I can look at that and reminence, but it isn't the same. It just seems odd that now, some other kid might be born and grow up in my house (yeah, I feel it's mine even still). He'll think it's his house, he'll see it completely differently than me, yet it'll have connecting moments. It's just odd.

Childhood is odd. I had a great childhood, but I still remember the little things. Yeah, it was great waking up every morning for 3 months straight playing baseball at the park. Then, taking a dollar and buying a slurpee and a candy bar. It was great playing a baseball video game and playing all 162 games, since I had the time (something I couldn't even imagine doing now).

Yet, there was bad too. There was not being able to buy video games whenever I want. I got 3 games a year. I got rewards for report cards, but it was around $10, not enough to get a game. I remember not getting a Nintendo for Christmas until everyone had their 16 bit systems. One year I begged for Tecmo Super Bowl for Christmas, and I didn't get it (I got other stuff I asked for even though I said I'd rather have the game over everything else).

I loved getting a bit older, having the money to drop $400 on the Sega Saturn at launch. Dropping another $300 I believe on a Playstation to play Resident Evil.

It's the funny thing about life, everything is a trade-off. When your a kid, you have the time for everything, but you don't have the money. When your older, you have some money, but time is scarce. Finally, when your older and retired, you may be lucky enough to have both, but will you have the health to be able to enjoy it all?

I'm depressing myself here.

[quote name='Strell']Listen. You're an idiot if you honestly can't understand what I'm getting at.[/quote]

I get it. The physical structure holds the memories just as much as the people who lived in it.

Not being a slave to time.

Playing with my G.I. Joes, X-men, and Ninja Turtles for hours and always being entertained.

Having no interest in girls!

bread's done
Back