Thrift Store Thread 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='lude21']nice find on duck tales 2! i actually found one at my SA about 2 months ago for $1.99. i also picked up Street Fighter the movie (ps1 longbox) a week ago for 99 cents.[/QUOTE]
They had some big boxes of CDs/DVDs/VHS tapes at the River Street SA today, which included about 3-4 PS1 games for $1.99. Nothing good as far as CD's went and I didn't bother picking up the PS1 games(Soul Blade, 007, Breakout)since I didn't know if any were worth it.

[quote name='Porpoise King']
NES Ducktales 2 (!)
[/QUOTE]

I was lucky and got that game for $0.99 at Warehouse Video in Danville, CA when they were clearing out all their previously rented NES games. I was a kid back then and bought it because I liked the show, turns out that was one of the best game-purchase decisions I ever made. It almost makes up for the fact that I convinced my mom to buy me Where's Waldo for the NES new at retail only to find out it was one of the worst games ever made...

IMAG1010.jpg

Anyone know anything about the ArcGIS Software? It is complete and great. All I can find is books about it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']They had some big boxes of CDs/DVDs/VHS tapes at the River Street SA today, which included about 3-4 PS1 games for $1.99. Nothing good as far as CD's went and I didn't bother picking up the PS1 games(Soul Blade, 007, Breakout)since I didn't know if any were worth it.[/QUOTE]

ya, i checked it out 2day. Just picked up Breakout (ps1) for $1.99. Thanks

Picked up a sealed Heavy Metal Geomatrix today for $3 at Good Will. The case has some cracks, so I'm on the fence between flipping it for $12-15, or opening it up to experience the badness firsthand.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Picked up a sealed Heavy Metal Geomatrix today for $3 at Good Will. The case has some cracks, so I'm on the fence between flipping it for $12-15, or opening it up to experience the badness firsthand.[/QUOTE]

Heavy Metal Geomatrix is quite badass. Would have been better if it was based off the older Heavy Metal.

[quote name='lude21']ya, i checked it out 2day. Just picked up Breakout (ps1) for $1.99. Thanks[/QUOTE]
You're welcome. Those long boxes filled with cd's/dvd's/VHS tapes were mostly junk minus the PS1 games and a handful of cd's, but I figured maybe you didn't have one of the PS1 games in your collection.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Right now the ShopGoodwill site has a Sega Genesis with a Sega CD up for auction. Opening bid is $4 and it comes with two games(Uncharted Waters and one of the Working Designs games for the Sega CD).

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Sega-Genesis-16-Bit-w-Sega-CD-Attachment-6402975.html[/QUOTE]

Vay is the Sega CD game, good old school RPG IMO. Used to have it unfornately I loaned it out at some point and all I have left is the map :(

I went to the local Savers store, and amongst all the junk titles, I found a copy of Banjo Tooie for N64 for 2.99. Was this a good deal?

[quote name='spmahn']I went to the local Savers store, and amongst all the junk titles, I found a copy of Banjo Tooie for N64 for 2.99. Was this a good deal?[/QUOTE]

$18.49 used on Amazon tells the tale and tells it straight. Welcome to the Wonderful World of Flipping. :)

Good finds at the thrifts today:

1st Store:

IMAG1173.jpg

All brand new factory sealed. 3.99 each

IMAG1174.jpg

Super Mario Bros. Classic 1.99
Super Mario 2 1.99
The Used .99
Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic 4.99
Ultima Online 10th Anniversary and Acension 2.99
Something Corporate .99
Duke Nukem 3d .99
Box of Redemption Priests Packs (bought them because they were cheap and a price tag on them said $79.99

2nd Store:

IMAG1175.jpg

60 of the Commercials on CD $1.99

IMAG1176.jpg

Missing 1 piece but still good for $4

IMAG1177.jpg

Brand New for $7

IMAG1178.jpg

$1.99

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention I found a copy of Dance Aerobics for NES the other day at the Goodwill. I almost bought it just to say I bought it but I don't have a Power Pad. :/

I was just checking ShopGoodwill.com and it looks like someone's gf/wife/mother got pissed at them and threw out their recently released PS3 games they had to the thrift store.

The same Goodwill in Iowa has Just Cause 2 AND Red Dead Redemption for PS3 up for auction. They're both at like $10-16 each right now with about $8.50 shipping. They also have a supposedly like new copy of the GTA Episodes for PS3 up with a current bid of $7.

Just Cause 2: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=6447610

Red Dead Redemption: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=6452216

Grand Theft Auto:Episodes From Liberty City: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=6450006

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I was just checking ShopGoodwill.com and it looks like someone's gf/wife/mother got pissed at them and threw out their recently released PS3 games they had to the thrift store.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=6450006[/QUOTE]

Just a heads up, pretty much everything on that site winds up going for around eBay price. I don't understand why, but it does. I never really see many bargains there.

Once again, not necessarily a "thrift store," but I did find some SNES/Genesis stuff in a local shop. Wanted to share my findings:

SNES: Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2, Separation ANxiety, Kirby Super Star, Killer Instinct, Mega Man X, Battletoads/Double Dragon, Mario Paint (with mouse)

Genesis: Streets Of Rage 1 + 2 (complete)+ 3, Contra Hard Corps, Golden Axe II (complete), and Fantasia. Paid $35 for the haul. Quite pleased.

[quote name='Doomstink']Just a heads up, pretty much everything on that site winds up going for around eBay price. I don't understand why, but it does. I never really see many bargains there.[/QUOTE]
I haven't seen many bargains either since I first discovered the site about 2 years ago or so. The last deal I think I got from there was from a GW in Buffalo NY area that was selling a big boxload of really old PC games(talking Windows 95 for most of them:roll:)mixed with a stack of PS2 games which included a like new copy of God Of War II, which was still a fairly new release when I bought that lot.

They have had at least a handful of current gen games and systems up on the site since I started watching it again, including at least 1-2 60 gb PS3's(probably either YLOD or otherwise borked).

Otherwise most of their auctions have been unremarkable as of late. I keep up vgpc.com when I'm checking out the auctions to see why some are bid up so high sometimes, since many of the games that're considered 'rare' or hard to find are ones I've never heard of before.

One thing that I dislike that they did was hiding the full name of bidders. Then again, I used the full names to search Ebay and found out many of the bidders on the PS2 systems were using the ShopGoodwill photos for their own already posted(and sometimes bid on)auctions on Ebay.:roll:

It seems that once I brought that to the attention of the people @ SGW they started blocking the user names and put the shopgoodwill name across every photo now.

[quote name='Survivalism']I'd be remiss if I didn't mention I found a copy of Dance Aerobics for NES the other day at the Goodwill. I almost bought it just to say I bought it but I don't have a Power Pad. :/[/QUOTE]

I picked up a copy last year for free. I also have the Power Pad, but have yet to even try it.

[quote name='sp00ge']I picked up a copy last year for free. I also have the Power Pad, but have yet to even try it.[/QUOTE]

I've played Dance Aerobics with the pad before, it's entertaining enough. It's like a slow paced DDR for the NES.

Saw a core Genesis 1 in the box, but it had no cables. GAH. The Genesis Gods continually taunt me.

Did, however, find an Infectious Grooves cassette and that's...well that's just awesome. Goodwill randomly has three sealed copies of Bakugan (?) something or other for PS2 and two copies of what I believe is Motorstorm Arctic Edge. I wish I knew what that other one was, I can't find it in the GS TIV thread, though I'm sure it's probably not worth the effort.

Final Fantasy XI (360, Complete) - 2.50
Cruis'n USA (N64) - 1.50
Goldeneye 007 (N64) - 1.50
Mario Kart 64 (N64) - 1.50
Super Mario 64 (N64) - 1.50
Bill Walsh College Football (Sega CD, Complete) - 1

Stopped by The Salvation Army as I was passing by on my way home from yardsaling Friday. I usually only have a good find like this at the Salvation Army once a year or if I'm lucky two or three times a year and will find some weak to decent parting gifts a little more often. I always stop in whenever I'm passing by (about once a week) to have a look around, Bill Walsh was 50% off and I figured I'd save it for the case at least since the hinges are intact as it's been sitting around for many months. Final Fantasy XI was the only 360 game I saw in front of a few old PC games and the N64 games were actually found in the toy section.

I picked up a Pioneer Laserdisc player (CLD-980) for $11.23. Now, I just need to pick up some more cheap laserdisc movies.

Had some moderately interesting finds today:

Genesis: Kid Chameleon, Red Zone, Wrestlemania, Lethal Enforcers
SNES: System itself, Super Game Boy, unknown mystery cartridge
NES: Burai Fighter, Double Dragon II

$20 for the lot.

\m/

[quote name='RonnieWrecked']found Skate 3 for the 360 [ complete and practically like new ] for 9.99

also got Bust a Groove for the PS1 for 3.99[/QUOTE]

Wow, nice pickups....especially bust a groove.

not game related but I got a Yamaha EG112C electric guitar for $40. Impulse buy, i already have a guitar i dont play. Ones on Ebay are $100. Little dings in a few places but plugged it into my surround sound receiver (yeah i have no real amp) and it sounds pretty good. need to clean it up a little its dusty and have a sticker on it.

Saw a copy of FF Dissidia (PSP) for $7 at a local(not really "local"), but decided against it because of my backlog.

Also, is there a special place you guys look? I usually look in the back with the electronics, which is were I saw a dreamcast controller. Though I saw the Dissidea game behind a glass case in the front of the store, along with some crap ps1 games, and a few CDs.

I hit up one of the local Salvation Army stores today. I saw a bunch of Genesis games(Urban Strike, Jungle Strike, Desert Strike, first Sonic game, a couple Maddens)and a couple of NES games(Hoops, High Speed Pinball), but I didn't buy anything.

Went to 3 different thrift stores today, the first one had a used N64 for 16.99, way too much IMO, and a sports title N64 game along with some random Xbox shovelware

2nd Thrift Store had Wave Race for N64 for 2.99 and a stack of N64 games that looked like sports titles. They also had 2 NES systems complete but they were dirty, and they were 24.99 each.

They also had a Playstation console original model for 9.99 no cords, and a PS2 no cords for 9.99 but it looked like it was missing a piece in the back

They also had a stack of old NES titles including Excitebike, but I didn't end up purchasing anything, maybe next time... :)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Shopgoodwill.com has a ' Special launch team clear green colored Xbox(original not 360) up for auction on their website. Anyone know anything about the rarity of this system?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=6487824[/QUOTE]

Looks like it has some signatures on the xbox symbol. Have you messaged the seller at all about what those signatures are?

EDIT: The Xbox launch team 2001 edition is a translucent green Xbox that was sold, not given, to members of the Xbox launch team. The jewel is silk screened with the message "Great work!" and signature from Bill Gates.

They are apparently extremely rare, with only 60 or so being made.

EDIT AGAIN: It seems the system came with green see through controllers as well as five or so Xbox exclusive titles all marked with DO NOT RESALE.

So it's not a complete set but would be totally worth it to have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to a Salvation Army I haven't been to in a while and found a mint and complete copy of Phantasy Star 1 & 2 Online (Gamecube) and $2.99. I checked out Amazon and the lowest price for incomplete copies start at $40.

[quote name='ohram']Looks like it has some signatures on the xbox symbol. Have you messaged the seller at all about what those signatures are?

EDIT: The Xbox launch team 2001 edition is a translucent green Xbox that was sold, not given, to members of the Xbox launch team. The jewel is silk screened with the message "Great work!" and signature from Bill Gates.

They are apparently extremely rare, with only 60 or so being made.

EDIT AGAIN: It seems the system came with green see through controllers as well as five or so Xbox exclusive titles all marked with DO NOT RESALE.

So it's not a complete set but would be totally worth it to have.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. I tried just searching Xbox Launch Team 2001 Xbox and it brought up some 360 Launch Team thing.

I stopped at a couple of out of the way Salvation Army stores today and I found a ton of gaming stuff at one, with a handful of PS1 and PS2 games at the other one.

I found(but did NOT buy):

Skies Of Arcadia(Dreamcast)-It was complete with two discs and manual but I think disc one had a few surface scratches.
Alone In The Dark(Dreamcast)-Again, complete with both discs and I believe both discs for it were mint.

Various odds and ends ranging from NES games all the way up to PS1 stuff. Both of the DC games were $3.99 each, but I had no idea on value, so I didn't wanna bother after I found out I bought the cheaper valued games of the lot of PS1 games the last time.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']
Also, is there a special place you guys look? I usually look in the back with the electronics, which is were I saw a dreamcast controller. Though I saw the Dissidea game behind a glass case in the front of the store, along with some crap ps1 games, and a few CDs.[/QUOTE]
Always look through the VHS/DVD movies and CDs. The folks at the thrift store will just consider the games similar entertainment and put them there, or not even know they're video games.

Is everything on shop goodwill just given away at a Goodwill? If so, why the heck would you give that Xbox away?? It was obviously from someone involved with the creation of it with it so you'd think they would know better.

Found a disc and back-liner only Blast Lacrosse in a stack of Dreamcast Sports games. Kudos to the CAG who found one before me and pointed out its value.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Found a disc and back-liner only Blast Lacrosse in a stack of Dreamcast Sports games. Kudos to the CAG who found one before me and pointed out its value.[/QUOTE]

Man I forgot about that game. I haven't seen that thing in years.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Thanks for the info. I tried just searching Xbox Launch Team 2001 Xbox and it brought up some 360 Launch Team thing.

I stopped at a couple of out of the way Salvation Army stores today and I found a ton of gaming stuff at one, with a handful of PS1 and PS2 games at the other one.

I found(but did NOT buy):

Skies Of Arcadia(Dreamcast)-It was complete with two discs and manual but I think disc one had a few surface scratches.
Alone In The Dark(Dreamcast)-Again, complete with both discs and I believe both discs for it were mint.

Various odds and ends ranging from NES games all the way up to PS1 stuff. Both of the DC games were $3.99 each, but I had no idea on value, so I didn't wanna bother after I found out I bought the cheaper valued games of the lot of PS1 games the last time.[/QUOTE]

Should have picked up Arcadia. It is has value!

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Should have picked up Arcadia. It is has value![/QUOTE]
Unfortunately I had no way to know what kind of value it had, but I also probably wouldn't have sold it for what I would've paid ($4 n tax). I probably would've upped the price by about $10-15 so that I knew for sure only a collector would be buying it and not some Ebayer.:razz:

Anyway, I'm watching this auction for a silver slim PStwo on ShopGoodwill right now and the fuckin' thing just jumped $12-15 in like 10 minutes. I figured I could sneak in around the close of the auction and add $1 to the auction and steal it for $33 shipped.:bomb:

Oh well. I gotta hope that someone on my local CL stops smoking the drugs most of the sellers on there are and offers up a PS2 for cheaper than $50-70.

some recent thrift finds:

blast lacrosse $1
nascar racing season 2003 - $1
doom shareware disc - .40cents
quake II with 2 expansions - $2
ffix disc 2, 4 - ffviii disc 2, 3, 4 all in one case for $8
blockus - $1
croc ps1 - 99cents
spiderman - 41 cents
ffviii bl disc one - 75cents
sheep raider - 75cents
spyro the dragon - $1.21
midi translator for pc - 75cents
total annihilation pc - $1.21
hercules ps1 - 75 cents
saga frontier ps1 mint - $3.40
digimon world ps1 - $3.40
myst big box pc sealed - $1.61
pokemon colesseum bonus disc + game - $2.75 ea.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Shopgoodwill.com has a ' Special launch team clear green colored Xbox(original not 360) up for auction on their website. Anyone know anything about the rarity of this system?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=6487824[/QUOTE]
its very rare. the signature is Bill Gates'. i cant believe someone donated this to goodwill.

[quote name='phear3d']its very rare. the signature is Bill Gates'. i cant believe someone donated this to goodwill.[/QUOTE]
It's up to $31 and change now with $18 in shipping to my house.:roll: The shipping still isn't as gouged as Tacoma's Goodwill uses($40 for Priority Mail?:roll: Riiiiight.), but beyond $10 is a bit on the ridiculous side unless they're packing it heavily with shit to keep it immobile.

[quote name='mistymayem']Is everything on shop goodwill just given away at a Goodwill? If so, why the heck would you give that Xbox away?? It was obviously from someone involved with the creation of it with it so you'd think they would know better.[/QUOTE]

Didn't have time/patience/ability to sell it/donated out of good will which is pretty much the point.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's up to $31 and change now with $18 in shipping to my house.:roll: The shipping still isn't as gouged as Tacoma's Goodwill uses($40 for Priority Mail?:roll: Riiiiight.), but beyond $10 is a bit on the ridiculous side unless they're packing it heavily with shit to keep it immobile.[/QUOTE]youre paying for their employee for handling. they're fucking greedy.

[quote name='phear3d']youre paying for their employee for handling. they're fucking greedy.[/QUOTE]
Exactly.:applause: They're THE HIGHEST as far as shipping goes. That's one thing I check immediately before I ever bid on there. If the shipping cost is exorbitant, I may watch the auction, but chances are I won't bid.

I actually emailed them asking them why their shipping costs were 3-4x that of other Goodwill stores on the site that were also on the West Coast. Their response was essentially 'if you don't like it, tough'.

usually people bid with the shipping cost in mind...i've never understood people's issues with shipping on auctions. $15 + $5 shipping or $13 + $7 shipping-- it's the same difference ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back