Thrift Store Thread 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='ninja dog']Hit up salvation army today and just found 2 copies of this crap game for $.50 a piece. might make some nice coasters, I guess.

N0ZvI.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That looks like a comparison shot between the ntsc and pal version. Maybe he just posted this for a laugh since there was no story with it - I know I would be much more excited if I just made at least a few thousand dollars.

[quote name='juangrande386']this is getting away from the original point of this thread. Everyone please post in the Thrift Store MegaThread unless your saying something about the TCs Chrono Trigger find[/QUOTE]

:roll:Who cares where they're posting?!?!? You're not Cheapy and you're not a mod, so why do you give a damn which thread people are having a nice civil conversation to?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:roll:Who cares where they're posting?!?!? You're not Cheapy and you're not a mod, so why do you give a damn which thread people are having a nice civil conversation to?[/QUOTE]

Why do you care that I care? If there are Threads already available for Thrift Stores and Craigslist then why clog the board with single finds. I understood the whole "this is $2 chrono trigger it deserves its own thread" but then people started posting their own finds instead of just commenting on the original post.

4375057366_9ee134afc3_m.jpg

That alone is a great score for $1 even before the discounts you got. Especially since its the unlicensed Tengen version. While the game plays the same as the licensed version its a bit more collectible due to the nature of Tengen's workaround of the NES security system. IIRC the most collectible Tengen unlicensed game I believe is their version of Tetris which in my opinion is far better than Nintendo's version. Tengen offered two player mode along with better graphics and sound.

GoodWill:
GameBoy Player Start-Up Disc no manual - $4.99
DDR Extreme - $3.99

GoodWill #2:
Crash Team Racing GH
Bomberman Party Edition
Lunar Silver Star Story Complete missing manual and Soundtrack
DDR Extreme
Box + manual GH for Spyro Enter the Dragonfly, no game
Box for We
heart.png
Katamari, no game
NOFX - The War on Errorism
NOFX - Punk In Drublic

$7.98 total. It was so cheap because they couldn't find Katamari, Spyro, or the OST to Lunar, and took forever to find the discs that they did have, so the lady just rang up DDR and the Katamari box and said have the rest for free. There was also a PS2 for $9.99 but I passed on it because it had no warranty sticker and didn't turn on, if anyone wants it for parts I can pick it up for them.

Keeping the NOFX CDs, everything else is going on eBay or Amazon, since I am an evil reseller who takes advantage of thrift stores.

Well DURRRR I'm not going to bother selling the box for Spyro. I was hoping the game was in it but they couldn't find it, and I'm not going to pass up a free case.

I already have Lunar up for $39 shipped, DDRs for $14 shipped each, GB Player start up disc for $19 shipped. :)

[quote name='J7.']Isn't Goodwill supposed to be for people who can't afford to shop at normal stores? That's too bad.[/QUOTE]

Goodwill provides training and education for the handicapped and disabled. It has nothing to do with providing goods for the poor.

[quote name='momouchi']Who is going to buy just the box and manual for a Spyro game? Good luck with that one![/QUOTE]

Collectors. You'd be surprised. It's not going to sell for an insane amount, but may for a couple bucks, which is still a good return on something that was free.

Found an N64 controller for $5 at a goodwill near my school. Passed on it, but I'm thinking about going back for it. The analog stick was really firm, and I could use a good N64 controller.

Reading this thread always gets me excited to check out local Goodwills. Then when I only find :xbox: NFL Street for $10 like I did today, I get sadded.

I actually do find decent deals on PC games sometimes, but console titles get ridiculous prices near me.

Hit up the local Salvation Army today to blow a $5 from a Honey Nut Cheerio's Check. Sadly, no games except crappy Win95 PC stuff, although I stumbled across some cool board games in great shape circa 1980-1981.

Donkey Kong (in excellent condition, looks like everything is there)

Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back (box has a piece torn off the side, I think the UPC.
Looks like everything's there and the board and everything in great shape).
Pickett's Charge (Civil War strategy game based around Gettysburg. I bought this gambling it was worth something, but it doesn't seem to be. Still, looks never played and Gettysburg/Civil War stuff is pretty popular around here so I should be able to unload it.)

Combined, the three games ran me $3.98.

Oh, and someone shelled out $4.75 for the disc only of Halo 2 which was there last time. I passed as I already have it and wasn't about to pay over $2 for a disc laying on a table that didn't look in great shape.

[quote name='spmahn']Goodwill provides training and education for the handicapped and disabled. It has nothing to do with providing goods for the poor.[/QUOTE]

That's funny because it's always the poor who are shopping there because it's cheap stuff better off people provide for free for those less fortunate than them. At least that's a major reason I give my stuff to goodwill instead of throwing it away.

[quote name='darkslime']
Keeping the NOFX CDs, everything else is going on eBay or Amazon, since I am an evil reseller who takes advantage of thrift stores.[/QUOTE]

That's worse than doing a single "rental" from GS. ;)

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']I found a

NES-------------------------$10 ( came with a Official Nintendo Zapper but no Normal Controller :([/QUOTE]

My mom told me once she found a NES in the box with the styrofoam for $10. Sadly, I think those days of the Goodwill are long gone.

Once when I was a kid I found a Master System, too. To this day I still wish I'd gotten it.

of course they are, now more then ever, since all that stadium events crap has made thrift stores keep a sharp eye out for what games they get in...

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']I found a

NES-------------------------$10 ( came with a Official Nintendo Zapper but no Normal Controller :(
Mario Bros./Duck Hunt----$1
1943 Battle of Midwat-----$1
Bionic Commando---------$1
Dream Master-------------$1
Tengen Pac-Man----------$1
Fruits Basket 2 ep.--------$.50
Test Drive 5 PS1 ---------$2.00

Sub Total-----------------$17.50
Military Discount---------$-$5.00
Coupon ($2 off $10)----$-$2.00

Total ----------------------$10.50

=One happy CAG :D
[/QUOTE]

Awesome find .. I really would like to get my hands on a 1943 and Bionic Commando .. humm .. maybe I should hit up my local shops

here's what i got over the past couple days at a Goodwill

Touchmaster 2 DS cart only for $3
Naruto 2 Japan import for Gamecube $3 i was surprised to see this
Super Mario Sunshine disc manual and case with graphics cut off $3
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Gamecube $3
Pro Wrestling NES $3
Gran Turismo PS1 $3
TombRaider PS1 $3
TombRaider Revelations PS1 $3

i too will be reselling some of these, pro wrestling's going in my nes collection and i'll try playin FF, and keeping tomb raiders since i regretted selling them a while back, the rest are goin up for auction.

Last edited by a moderator:
today at Goodwill I found:

ps1
Rayman (greatest hits) CIB
Rayman 2 CIB
Toy Story 2 CIB
Crash Tag Team Racing (missing manual)

for 1.99 each

NES controller 1.99
(not sure if i overpaid, but the one i found with my top loader sticks and this one is all springy)

N64 controller (purple) 3.99
(again not sure about pricing, but usually these places stick them with some disgusting system and overcharge)

Picked up Modern Warfare 2 (360) for $22.50 and Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story for $16.87. Dumped the cart of Mario & Luigi for $32 at Gamestop!

Good day today, almost didnt even go but I had to pick my sister up from school so we stopped by GW. $30- N64 with cables and expansion pak, see through purple controller with firm joystick, nintendo brand memory pack in controller that i didnt even notice, goldeneye, pokemon red, and a Madness Gameware Dreamcast VGA Box. 3rd pokemon game ive picked up from there this year, got blue in january and gold last week.

[quote name='EnronLackey']Awesome find .. I really would like to get my hands on a 1943 and Bionic Commando .. humm .. maybe I should hit up my local shops[/QUOTE]

Yeah sadly my ac power adapter thing snapped off at the end . I had heard that you "HAVE" to use an official Nintedo Power adapter but my electric keyboards adapter works perfect :D

and YES bionic commando is super AWESOME

ok just had what i think was an awesome find.
Salvation army had a bundle of random video-gameness for 29.99, but the whole store was 40% off today so i got the below for 18.00

Nintendo 64 system/ a/v cable/ power brick
Goldeneye
Super Mario 64
Star Fox 64
Rumble pack
nhl 99
nba live 99

Playstation 1
a/v cable
gameshark
clear sony memory card
triple play 98
NCAA final four 2000
NCAA football 2001
NBA live 97
NCAA March madness 2000

and a Star wars game for an IBM cd-rom or compatibles?

i think they just stuck everything they had in the back in a bag, and labeled it.

[quote name='wheels']nice deal orcafan.
today i got these at a goodwill

Super Mario 64 $5
Mario Kart 64 $5[/QUOTE]

nice finds
today was the first time i had seen anything "mario" out in the wild, lol.

Just picked up-

Kings quest collection 1-6 PC $.99
Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 PC-cd only $.99
Duck tales 2 NES $1.99
Crystal castles atari 2600 $.99
and my best find....
Lunar 2 PS1 complete (3 discs, "making of" disc and case) $1.99

....wow....just looked up Ducktales 2...sweet!

[quote name='lude21']Just picked up-

Duck tales 2 NES $1.99
and my best find....

....wow....just looked up Ducktales 2...sweet![/QUOTE]
I hate you.

Duck tales 2 NES $1.99
and my best find....

Be more happy with your Lunar 2 fine. :)

Duck tales 2 NES $1.99
and my best find....

I say again. You have the best luck with the local thrift stores compared to me. If I had scoured every Salvation Army, Goodwill, Volunteers Of America and so on around here, I would NEVER find ANY good shit.

You should really play the lotto with this luck.:D:lol:

BTW, there's supposedly a thrift store right down the block from you now.

i picked up yesterday:

SNES AC adapter $2
SNES controller $2

i picked up today for a total of $11.44:

7 NES games:
Journey to Silius
Legendary Wings
Trojan
Robowarrior
Life Force
Star Voyager
Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout

1 TremorPak Plus for N64

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I say again. You have the best luck with the local thrift stores compared to me. If I had scoured every Salvation Army, Goodwill, Volunteers Of America and so on around here, I would NEVER find ANY good shit.

You should really play the lotto with this luck.:D:lol:

BTW, there's supposedly a thrift store right down the block from you now.[/QUOTE]You do find good shit, but instead of buying it you complain about spending 5 whole dollars a game.:roll:

And J7, I think what I did was just fine. I sold Lunar 2 for $42 shipped on eBay and made all my money back just from that. You're just jealous you don't have my phresh skillz

[quote name='darkslime']You do find good shit, but instead of buying it you complain about spending 5 whole dollars a game.:roll:

And J7, I think what I did was just fine. I sold Lunar 2 for $42 shipped on eBay and made all my money back just from that. You're just jealous you don't have my phresh skillz[/QUOTE]

I had some idea of the possible value of the 1-2 games that I saw(Parappa, Marvel Super Heroes), but I just couldn't bring myself to pay $5 a game since I have no desire to be stuck with them or sell them for less than I paid.

Aside from some comic books from the 90's and some PS1 games I only bought from Gamestop because they were super cheap($1 a game mostly), I don't have and I don't want to amass a 'collection'. But I had a feeling I would've been stuck with those two games had I bought them because of the lowballers on CL and elsewhere. I wasn't willing to lose money versus what I paid for them just to sell them.

Ok i *may* have gone a little crazy at the GW today, but i found all of the below for $55.82

All complete unless noted
PS1
Star Ocean the second story
The City of Lost Children
Oddworld: Abes Oddysey
Oddworld: Abes Exoddus
Duke Nukem Land of the Babes
Medal of Honor
Nightmare Creatures II
Mortal Kombat Trilogy (disc Only)
Mortal Kombat 3 (disc only)
Mortal Kombat Mythologies Sub-Zero
Crash Bandicoot
Final Fantasy VIII
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Silent Hill
Dino Crisis
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider II
Tomb Raider Chronicles
Tomb Raider the Last Revelation

*none of them are "greatest hits"

And this was after some older guy had already gone thru them, and then sat on a couch for an hour just staring at the cases. I tried to look at what he had all i could see was a final fantasy, but didn't want to be to creapy and i don't think he spoke english

**also there was still like 20 more games there after i left, and i was told they had already been there a while (tags said 2/26)

[quote name='darkslime']You do find good shit, but instead of buying it you complain about spending 5 whole dollars a game.:roll:

And J7, I think what I did was just fine. I sold Lunar 2 for $42 shipped on eBay and made all my money back just from that. You're just jealous you don't have my phresh skillz[/QUOTE]

You called me a douche for thinking of using GS used return policy to "rent" a game from them a single time. I was merely saying that is not as bad as buying up all the decent used games at a place poor people frequent and reselling them. :roll: That's not skill anyways, that's luck.

Pretty good weekend for me at the Goodwills in the area.

WiiPlay (game and remote, both in great condition) -$25
Wii Classic Controller (in box, opened but appears to be unused) -$10
Pokemon Battle Revolution (used, but in mint condition) - $10
The Bigs 2 Wii (Sealed) -$10
Pirates of the Caribbean 1&2 Blu (both brand new and sealed) - $3/each

I bought a Gamecube (all cables but no controllers) for 6.99.

Never owned a Gamecube before so I thought, at that price, it would be a good place to start.

Too many people scour the thrift stores where I live now so it's hard to find anything at all (mostly my fault for telling people where I live), but I found these at Goodwill recently,

New/sealed copy of Glory of Heracles $10
Super Mario 3 $2
Dr Mario $2

Decent pick up today. Blew way too much money:

Digimon World 1 - 2.00
Soulcalibur - 2.00
Ehrgeiz: 2.00
Dragon Warrior Monsters 1 (GBC): 4.50
Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 (GBC): 4.50
Dragon Warrior 3 (GBC): 4.50

Random manga priced at 40 cents (10 volumes)
Digimon board game: 2.00
Pokemon CD's (10th anniversary, Movie 2000, 3rd movie): 80 cents

[quote name='J7.']You called me a douche for thinking of using GS used return policy to "rent" a game from them a single time. I was merely saying that is not as bad as buying up all the decent used games at a place poor people frequent and reselling them. :roll: That's not skill anyways, that's luck.[/QUOTE]WAIT A SECOND

Its all fine n dandy to take advantage of gamestop's return policy and make it harder for anyone to actually return things (if just you maybe ok but if everyone follows your shitty example they might now accept returns for legitimately broken games)... to commit FRAUD, a federal offense

but its not ok for me to buy games from a place "poor people" frequent and resell them? if i didn't buy them, guess who would buy them? illegal immigrants! and guess what they would do with them? take them down to Nogales and RESELL them. They aren't going to play them either, I don't think people who speak in broken english are self righteous RPG collectors like you.

you sir have a very fucked up idea of morals!

[quote name='darkslime']WAIT A SECOND

Its all fine n dandy to take advantage of gamestop's return policy and make it harder for anyone to actually return things (if just you maybe ok but if everyone follows your shitty example they might now accept returns for legitimately broken games)... to commit FRAUD, a federal offense

but its not ok for me to buy games from a place "poor people" frequent and resell them? if i didn't buy them, guess who would buy them? illegal immigrants! and guess what they would do with them? take them down to Nogales and RESELL them. They aren't going to play them either, I don't think people who speak in broken english are self righteous RPG collectors like you.

you sir have a very fucked up idea of morals![/QUOTE]

You can return the game for any reason. I merely thought of doing it one time. Many on CAG do it more than one time. I see people post about it all the time.

So THINKING about doing that ONE time is worse than you going to thrift stores ALL the time and buying up ALL the games you can find to resell them on ebay... Yes it would be illegal immigrants who would buy up all the games and resell them :lol: And I bet illegal immigrants know about all the rare games too! I'm not an RPG collector. I guess pointing out that you're a complete hypocrite makes me so self righteous. :lol:

Keep calling people douche's when you're doing worse yourself. And also go yell insults at people who THINK about doing things you don't agree with that you actually do yourself anyways. Your morals are highly commendable. :applause:

This is not against those reselling, but against those who go out of their way to insult others for doing similar things when they do it/more themselves.

I resell games which is perfectly legal, you deceive, lie, and steal. People like you are the reason the economy is in the shitter, I am only improving the market by selling things while you are destroying it.

Also picked up a cart only Kirby's Dreamland at GoodWill today for $1.99

And I don't go there all the time, haven't been there before today since last time.

And it is generally illegal immigrants who buy up all the games and crap in Goodwill when you live 45 minutes from the border. And they generally take them back to Mexico and resell them.

[quote name='J7.']You called me a douche for thinking of using GS used return policy to "rent" a game from them a single time. I was merely saying that is not as bad as buying up all the decent used games at a place poor people frequent and reselling them. :roll: That's not skill anyways, that's luck.[/QUOTE]

Just a thought: shouldn't poor people, you know, not buy games, and focus on buying things that they actually need?

If Darkslime was running through Goodwill buying up entire racks of clothes to resell, then okay, you could argue the poor people angle. But electronics are luxury expenses that truly poor people should not be concerned with in the first place. From my own experiences with Goodwill and other thrift stores, I have never once seen anyone who looked poor buying a video game. In two of the instances where I saw people other than myself buying a video game, it was a local reseller from the flea market. In the third instance it was a college kid that didn't look poor in the slightest bit. If Darkslime doesn't buy the stuff he sees to resell it just so some poor people can get a chance at the games, odds are someone else who isn't poor will come through and buy them.

I only really felt the need to respond here because I hate the CAG mentality regarding resellers. They aren't the spawns of Satan that this site makes them out to be. There's a reason that many of them lurk the forums instead of engaging in the community and thats the simple fact that they'll get tarred and feathered the minute they drop the line "I'm a reseller."

I see it as, people are jealous of resellers. Those resellers do the footwork, put in the time to list stuff on ebay/craigslist/amazon/whatever, to attempt to make a small profit. I see nothing wrong with resellers.

Then you have those resellers on amazon with the $900 for used/shitted on cartridge copy of some useless game. I laugh at those sellers and lose faith in humanity when someone actually buys it.

[quote name='Doomstink']Just a thought: shouldn't poor people, you know, not buy games, and focus on buying things that they actually need?

If Darkslime was running through Goodwill buying up entire racks of clothes to resell, then okay, you could argue the poor people angle. But electronics are luxury expenses that truly poor people should not be concerned with in the first place. From my own experiences with Goodwill and other thrift stores, I have never once seen anyone who looked poor buying a video game. In two of the instances where I saw people other than myself buying a video game, it was a local reseller from the flea market. In the third instance it was a college kid that didn't look poor in the slightest bit. If Darkslime doesn't buy the stuff he sees to resell it just so some poor people can get a chance at the games, odds are someone else who isn't poor will come through and buy them.

I only really felt the need to respond here because I hate the CAG mentality regarding resellers. They aren't the spawns of Satan that this site makes them out to be. There's a reason that many of them lurk the forums instead of engaging in the community and thats the simple fact that they'll get tarred and feathered the minute they drop the line "I'm a reseller."[/QUOTE]

Poor people can only afford games from Goodwill in many cases... not everyone who is low income looks like your stereotypical poor person. When I say poor I mean low income. If a poor person can work their budget to buy their kid a PS1 & a few cheap games, that can be very rewarding to their lives.

Please read what I had posted. "This is not against those reselling, but against those who go out of their way to insult others for doing similar things when they do it/more themselves." He went out of his way to call me a douche for only pondering about doing something that is no more wrong than what he does all the time. I have nothing against resellers in general.

[quote name='darkslime']I resell games which is perfectly legal, you deceive, lie, and steal. People like you are the reason the economy is in the shitter, I am only improving the market by selling things while you are destroying it.

Also picked up a cart only Kirby's Dreamland at GoodWill today for $1.99

And I don't go there all the time, haven't been there before today since last time.

And it is generally illegal immigrants who buy up all the games and crap in Goodwill when you live 45 minutes from the border. And they generally take them back to Mexico and resell them.[/QUOTE]

So you consider people's thoughts the same as actions! I didn't deceive, lie, or steal from anyone. Keep blaming me for all of society's downfalls because I had an immoral THOUGHT, which I never acted on.

Improving the market eh? Because you take from the poor and profit off their losses? Since last time huh, so you go there that often... Keep blaming illegal immigrants too, when you probably have no proof except your own prejudices.

FYI: I'm a hoarder(of penny guides)and a reseller(of cheap clearance/sale games to Gamestop during decent promos), yet I am vehemently against hoarders and resellers.

In other words, I'm a hypocrite(and damn proud).;)

[quote name='J7.']Poor people can only afford games from Goodwill in many cases... not everyone who is low income looks like your stereotypical poor person. When I say poor I mean low income. [/QUOTE]

Regardless of what you guys are arguing about, the bit about poor people only being able to afford games from Goodwill is silly. I grew up in a low income family, and not having money doesn't mean buying cast-offs; it much more often means doing without for longer periods of time than those who are financially "well off". Are folks who don't have a lot of money more inclined to bargain-hunt? Of course, but no one has to shop there for their video games (or whatever).

In fact, what you'll find these days is that a great many low income families are struggling with credit card debt. Why? From spending money they don't have for things they want. A lot of other not-so-well-off families I knew from my childhood kept their kids in the latest fashions and made sure they had the hottest new toys and gadgets. This is a practice in which my parents did not themselves indulge, and for that I'm very grateful, but plenty of "poor" people have the latest and greatest -- at least, for now.

Also, the vast majority of people who buy from Goodwill aren't poor; they're bargain hunters from all walks of life and all social standings. For every Average Joe who shops at a thrift store, there are at least as many wealthy folks who like finding rare, unique, or exotic items. There are also a lot of fashion-conscious youths (and adults) who are looking to cobble the latest styles or trends from yesterday's oddities. And finally, you have collectors and resellers, which are arguably Goodwill's (and many other thrift stores') lifeblood today, paying half-premium prices for items which historically have sold for pennies.

Also, if the 20-30 thrift stores in my surrounding counties have taught me anything, it's that the days of Goodwill selling fair-priced video games are nearing their end; Xbox 360 and PS3 games are more and more frequently being priced at Gamestop-levels, so the "poor" are just as likely to find a better deal at their local Best Buy or Target clearance section, than on the shelves of Goodwill and its ilk.

[quote name='allyourblood']Regardless of what you guys are arguing about, the bit about poor people only being able to afford games from Goodwill is silly. I grew up in a low income family, and not having money doesn't mean buying cast-offs; it much more often means doing without for longer periods of time than those who are financially "well off". Are folks who don't have a lot of money more inclined to bargain-hunt? Of course, but no one has to shop there for their video games (or whatever).

In fact, what you'll find these days is that a great many low income families are struggling with credit card debt. Why? From spending money they don't have for things they want. A lot of other not-so-well-off families I knew from my childhood kept their kids in the latest fashions and made sure they had the hottest new toys and gadgets. This is a practice in which my parents did not themselves indulge, and for that I'm very grateful, but plenty of "poor" people have the latest and greatest -- at least, for now.

Also, the vast majority of people who buy from Goodwill aren't poor; they're bargain hunters from all walks of life and all social standings. For every Average Joe who shops at a thrift store, there are at least as many wealthy folks who like finding rare, unique, or exotic items. There are also a lot of fashion-conscious youths (and adults) who are looking to cobble the latest styles or trends from yesterday's oddities. And finally, you have collectors and resellers, which are arguably Goodwill's (and many other thrift stores') lifeblood today, paying half-premium prices for items which historically have sold for pennies.

Also, if the 20-30 thrift stores in my surrounding counties have taught me anything, it's that the days of Goodwill selling fair-priced video games are nearing their end; Xbox 360 and PS3 games are more and more frequently being priced at Gamestop-levels, so the "poor" are just as likely to find a better deal at their local Best Buy or Target clearance section, than on the shelves of Goodwill and its ilk.[/QUOTE]

Very well said. My parents taught me to be thrifty and I was a bargain hunter before I was a CAG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back