Time for that Black Friday 2005 site.

souNReAL

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Word. For those that dont know, last year there was a site specifically made postings of black friday deals, newspapers ads, etc. it started slow, but balloned into a great site with deals from 100's of retailers, and usually got the info way ahead of time.

it got started around mid october last year and i think cheapy d even had a hand in it and i was wondering if/when you guys are gonna set that up this year.

oh yea. thanks yall

fat_kids_black_friday_1.jpg

Retailers seem to have been dialing back the really good deals for the last few years. I'm sure there will be a few good ones, though.

[quote name='Kuma']True, but Retailers need to ramp it up this year. Holiday sales the past 2 years have blown.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't necessarily say the were totally awful, but compared to year's past, it did indeed suck. There's almost no need to get up early and fight the crowd's anymore. A BF should not have only one at a store to be called a deal, that's a clearance. Last year wasn't a total loss though. Futurama, Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park seasons for $20 at Target was unbelievable. I only wish I had had more money. Plus at that time it allowed me to get Tales of Symphonia for $25 when everyone else had it for $50.

I think the fallback was due to the news coverage of people getting hurt during the black friday sales in 2004 also the way best buy corperate acted about it all the way they called fatwallet people and deal hunters 'devil customers' and blamed them for loss in money and many other things.

They should have t shirts printed out that say devil customers for when they go into best buy this season.

yeah, most deals on black friday are not worth the effort. I'd rather enjoy my friday and get cheap ass deal the rest of the year thanks to this site.

[quote name='Skelah']I think the fallback was due to the news coverage of people getting hurt during the black friday sales in 2004 also the way best buy corperate acted about it all the way they called fatwallet people and deal hunters 'devil customers' and blamed them for loss in money and many other things.

They should have t shirts printed out that say devil customers for when they go into best buy this season.[/QUOTE]

Someone should make a threadless t saying something like devil customers and showing some devil or something. i'd buy it. Maybe Cheapy could that, and start selling CAG shirts again. Wouldn't mind buying both.

the past few years a lot of retailers have been putting the sale items online....... hopefully they will continue to do so, I hate waking up so early for the specials

I remember last year my BB actually had Dunkin' Donuts for people waiting in line. That was pretty nice of them since their checkout line (which resembles a line for a roller coaster) was pretty horrendous.

What really pisses me off is their limited stock of 5 for the really highly sought after goods. So unless you're willing to camp out, there's no reason to enter the lions' den.

Hopefully I'll be able to get in on some good deals this year because I didn't really get in on any last year. That is if there are any good deals..

[quote name='pop311']One words: Sleeping pills[/QUOTE]

lol ^^

anyways, I didnt even bother last year so im really hoping this year will be better.

I wasn't aware of the cheapy goodness that is CAG last black friday, so I ask this:

Did any lawyers from the companies attempt to get black friday info pulled from CAG in the past? Last year I was visiting Fatwallet pretty often and they had to pull a lot of stuff relating to the sales. Stuff like that really bums me out. :( It's okay to discuss this stuff all year except for sales that happen one weekend out of the year? WTF?

i think they did get into some legal trouble, but for the most part, the site stayed up until black friday 2004 ended.

BF 2004 deals werent bad as some say. the DVD player deals were good last year and should be again, portable dvd players too and im sure were gonna find alot of cheap(or overstocked) mp3 players on bf 2005.

keep an eye out yo.

I personally think that I made out like a bandit last year at BB on Black Friday. I had the ads for CC, BB, and Fry's and price matched like crazy. That day, the best purchases were of the following:

24 - Season 1: $12.99
The Pink Panther Collection: $29.99
The Godfather Collection: $29.99
Dragonball Z: Budokai 2: $9.99
There was a 5 DVDs for $25 at BB that I took advantage of
I also bought 5 CDs for 6.99 a piece

I love Black Friday. Yes, it is hell. But if you plan it well enough, there is no problem. My only suggestion would be to price match so you will not have to concern yourself with having to venture out much on that day. Also, getting there at the crack of dawn is effective as well.

[quote name='the_usual_suspect00']I personally think that I made out like a bandit last year at BB on Black Friday. I had the ads for CC, BB, and Fry's and price matched like crazy. That day, the best purchases were of the following:

24 - Season 1: $12.99
The Pink Panther Collection: $29.99
The Godfather Collection: $29.99
Dragonball Z: Budokai 2: $9.99
There was a 5 DVDs for $25 at BB that I took advantage of
I also bought 5 CDs for 6.99 a piece

I love Black Friday. Yes, it is hell. But if you plan it well enough, there is no problem. My only suggestion would be to price match so you will not have to concern yourself with having to venture out much on that day. Also, getting there at the crack of dawn is effective as well.[/QUOTE]

Nice buys, except DBZ. You got ripped off on that piece of trash.

I picked up 24 last year and a couple other items. I bet there's gonna be a lot of cheap ass Xbox games this year because of the 360 coming out. That would be sick. Also isn't price matching going to be hard because of the "6 hour sale" or whatever the hell they call it? Sometimes retail stores refuse to price match for me because it's not a sale for the whole week, only a doorbuster, so I'm not sure.

I thought stores like BB and CC dont match prices on "special" sales like Black Friday. I tried to PM some Fry's dvds that were on sale at CC and the cashier said that they couldnt PM special sales or one day sales, only weekly sales.

[quote name='TheRock88']I thought stores like BB and CC dont match prices on "special" sales like Black Friday. I tried to PM some Fry's dvds that were on sale at CC and the cashier said that they couldnt PM special sales or one day sales, only weekly sales.[/QUOTE]

No they don't match the specials that are early in the morning but the things that are listed in the regular part of the ad from Friday to Sunday.

For instance last Black Friday:

Target had Family Guy Vol. 1 on sale for $17.77 so I took the ad to my local CC and PM to be able to get it for like $15 after PM.

I'm hoping to score a cheap laptop this year for the girlfriend. She has no computer at all, and she is in college. She's wanted a laptop for a while and they always have killer deals on BF.

[quote name='bil4ltool']I'm hoping to score a cheap laptop this year for the girlfriend. She has no computer at all, and she is in college. She's wanted a laptop for a while and they always have killer deals on BF.[/QUOTE]
be very careful because last yeat BB telling people they need to get ram upgrade (you might or might not need) and to pay them to get some junk software removed.

[quote name='Inferno-X']I wasn't aware of the cheapy goodness that is CAG last black friday, so I ask this:

Did any lawyers from the companies attempt to get black friday info pulled from CAG in the past? Last year I was visiting Fatwallet pretty often and they had to pull a lot of stuff relating to the sales. Stuff like that really bums me out. :( It's okay to discuss this stuff all year except for sales that happen one weekend out of the year? WTF?[/QUOTE]

you know, censorship sucks, and thats why we have a 1st amendment, but also, why would lawyers from companies attempt to get BF info pulled from sites? it seems to me thats stupid, because you want people to come into your stores and you don't have to pay for people to post about it on a website, its free advertising.

[quote name='urzishra14']you know, censorship sucks, and thats why we have a 1st amendment, but also, why would lawyers from companies attempt to get BF info pulled from sites? it seems to me thats stupid, because you want people to come into your stores and you don't have to pay for people to post about it on a website, its free advertising.[/QUOTE]

I think the reason they do it is to prevent other retailers from copying the sales. If X store offers a PS2 for $99 and store Y sees it before hand, they can offer a PS2 and a game for $99 and bring customers to their store instead.

[quote name='encendido5']I think the reason they do it is to prevent other retailers from copying the sales. If X store offers a PS2 for $99 and store Y sees it before hand, they can offer a PS2 and a game for $99 and bring customers to their store instead.[/QUOTE]

yeah I think that's just it, a confidentiality thing, not a 'hush hush' kind of thing...

I'll probably be working. hopefully I don't open, I wouldn't mind a good digital camera or computer deal, but mostly at that point I'll be looking for christmas gifts, as the selfish season ends in November...

~

[quote name='urzishra14']i can't get this day off from work.. its the busiest day of the year.. (i work at a restaurant not retail)[/QUOTE]

I probably have to work that day, but I should be done shopping by 9 or so....what time do you work on BF?

[quote name='encendido5']I think the reason they do it is to prevent other retailers from copying the sales. If X store offers a PS2 for $99 and store Y sees it before hand, they can offer a PS2 and a game for $99 and bring customers to their store instead.[/QUOTE]

Again, I ask the question he asked. How is that illegal? Welcome to capitalism.

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']Again, I ask the question he asked. How is that illegal? Welcome to capitalism.[/QUOTE]

From what I understand, the retailers copyright their ads and they are not to be made public until the day of. They are protected under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act.

Read more about it:

http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf

I really doubt there will be any deals that I'll care about, though all I ended up buying last BF was Virtua Figher EVO at Best Buy...I only went cause friends were going. Only way my ass is going this time is if there are some really good game deals, preferably at a Ebgames/Gamestop.

Not sure what to expect this year, whether I go out or not depends on the deals (I don't go just for the 'rush').

Two years ago I managed to hit TRU for a couple of DVDs, Home Depot for a trimmer, EB (got nothing) and KB Toys and was home with donuts by 7:00 before anyone else was awake.

Last year hit Target for Simpsons Season 4, then TRU for Justice League figures (one for my son, one went in the donation bin on the way out) and then CC for some $5 DVDs (including Donnie Darko!) and was still home with donuts around 7:00.

My brother-in-law camped out all night on Best Buys sidewalk and pretty much bought stuff that he could sell for profit. He made it on the local news and on the front of the newspaper the next day. Yeah, he's crazy.

Let's see what this year brings!

Their better be some better deals this year than last. All I got was mostly dvds from Target where there was nobody there. I guess people were only really interested in the limited and big ticket items.

bread's done
Back