VHS to DVD?

I spend $800 last January on a stand alone Sony DVD recorder to put all my MST3K eps on DVD. Works great though they have come down a lot in price since.

[quote name='crowbb']I spend $800 last January on a stand alone Sony DVD recorder [/quote]

That's what I was wondering, since you can just hook your VCR up to the DVD Recorder and just copy them. It's less hassle than figuring it out with a DVD burner for PC.

Just about any electronics store sells them these days. I have seen no-name brand ones for as low as $180. I got a 2nd one a "Coby" brand for $100 at a Shoprite of all places. But that was after using a 50% off coupon I had.

And yes they do work just like VCRs. The stand alone ones anyway. If you can do DVD-RWs you can even delete stuff out of order, unlike a VCR. For example if I record 6 different shows one one DVD-RW disc, I could delete show #3 leaving the other 5 on the disc. This only works if they were recorded separately though since it saves them as different tracks. You can't edit a track just delete it.

Just remember when buying one there are several kinds of recordable DVD recordable discs. The most common are +R and -R, +RW and -RW. My recorder can play any kind but can only record on -R and - or +RW discs.

Whenever I want to transfer VHS to DVD, or anything with S-Video/RCA connections to DVD, I hook it up to my new computer. Came with a TV Tuner/Capture Card and has great quality. I can even use it like a TiVo if I wanted to.

But I've done a couple of projects from VHS to DVD recently. Did an old, obscure movie for a friend that happened to be airing on digital cable, and it came out like a store-bought DVD. Also, my Japanese wrestling tapes and 3-South episodes came out pretty good on DVD.

I recently bought an ILO dvd recorder from Wal-Mart about a month ago. It only cost 150.00, someone on these boards recommended it to me. It works well for the price, the front a/v inputs suck b/c it leaves a high pitched whine on the recordings using that particular input, but the rears work excellent. You can put 6 hours of video on there, equivilent to say a vcd. And 2 hour mode is nearly identical to the source. And 1 hour practically is.

walmart.com has alot of cheap recorders, and if you have a sams club membership you should walk into one of their stores and look at their selection, or look at the website. but it differs from in store and website as far as stock goes

bread's done
Back