Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

I have a brand new 360 HD-DVD addon if anyone is interested. I want $159 for it. PM me if interested, if not it is going on eBay.

Hey all. The Best Buy on Rockville Pike is selling the new PSP Daxter bundles. They have a lot of copies locked up in that little cage they keep the systems in. What's really sweet is that I was able to pricematch the Target website deal there, so I got the bundle for $170. I'm pretty happy.

greenfox, so what are your first person impressions of the psp refresh? Is it cool worthy? I'm really thinking about it with the Target pricematch.

[quote name='lurknomore']greenfox, so what are your first person impressions of the psp refresh? Is it cool worthy? I'm really thinking about it with the Target pricematch.[/quote]

I'm very interested to know what people are thinking about it, too.

/tk

[quote name='lurknomore']greenfox, so what are your first person impressions of the psp refresh? Is it cool worthy? I'm really thinking about it with the Target pricematch.[/QUOTE]

So far, I'm pretty happy with it. However, I never had the original PSP, and only played one once, so I really compare the two. It's definitely lighter than I remember the original being.

It feels comfortable in my hands (my hands cramp up on some games on the DS), and none of the buttons feel cheap or unresponsive. I've gotten used to the little analog nub faster than I thought I would. The screen looks great. I was mildly worried about dead/stuck pixels when I bought it, but I seem to be in the clear there.

I messed around with the web-browser a bit today to try to get some demos. It's not super fast, but it's not much slower than the browsers on the Wii and the PS3. I haven't gotten the Remote Play function to work yet, but I'm sure I'll be able to get it going when I have some more time to mess around with it this weekend.

The battery seems decent, if not spectacular. It hasn't run out yet; that's about all I can say about it so far.

It doesn't come with the cable to connect it to my TV. I find this odd, since this is supposed to be one of its biggest new features. Frankly, it seems like too much of a novelty for me to spend the $20 on it. Maybe once they get clearanced I'll try it out.

If there's anything else you want to know about it, just let me know.

[quote name='greenfox']
The battery seems decent, if not spectacular. It hasn't run out yet; that's about all I can say about it so far.

It doesn't come with the cable to connect it to my TV. I find this odd, since this is supposed to be one of its biggest new features. Frankly, it seems like too much of a novelty for me to spend the $20 on it. Maybe once they get clearanced I'll try it out.

If there's anything else you want to know about it, just let me know.[/quote]

Actually, the connect to TV feature is one I'd be more interested in. Too bad it's a seperate purchase. Any idea if the old psp will get sort of firmware update to allow it output to tv? Or is it a totally new output port on the new psp?

[quote name='jgamezcua']Actually, the connect to TV feature is one I'd be more interested in. Too bad it's a seperate purchase. Any idea if the old psp will get sort of firmware update to allow it output to tv? Or is it a totally new output port on the new psp?[/QUOTE]

I have absolutely no idea.

[quote name='jgamezcua']Actually, the connect to TV feature is one I'd be more interested in. Too bad it's a seperate purchase. Any idea if the old psp will get sort of firmware update to allow it output to tv? Or is it a totally new output port on the new psp?[/QUOTE]

It's a new port that has been placed on the PSP refresh. So I am thinking that a firmware update won't change that... Can a USB port allow for video out...'cause that would be the only way...unless you hacked apart and open your PSP and jacked in the video out on the inside.

We should set up a meetup soon. I am itching to trade/buy some stuff.

What about D&B again on a Saturday soon. Any dates that should be crossed off because folks can't make it?

I know for sure the first weekend in October is out for me, but I think I could work out something for any remaining weekend in September.

MjC

I can't go September 29th; there's a Taste of Lexus event at FedEx. It's free, you test drive Lexi on cone courses, and they feed you.

If anybody is looking for a DS travel case/accessory kit, the Target in Greenbelt at Beltway Plaza has a pretty nice deal.

It's a DS case that comes with a car power adaptor, USB charger, case for a couple of DS games, AND 1 pre-packaged DS game. I saw three different ones, including:
DBZ: Super Sonic Warriors 2
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects

All of that is hidden away in the electronics department's clearance aisle for $14.98. I thought it was pretty sweet myself, even moreso for a kind of DS starter kit.

Anyone know of any B&M stores with decent selections of GBA games? I live in DC but I don't have car access, so something near a metro would be nice. Open to all suggestions though.

Thanks!

Finally found this thread!

I'm a Rockville, Maryland CAGer. Ex-FW, Semi-SD.

Got some nice deals on PSP games last week at CC in Rockville and Gaithersburg.

Have you guys noticed the BBs in this area don't have any good Frontlane games and the Sears don't have clearance prices?

Hey, another Rockville Cagger here.

Does anyone know if any BB or Gamestop in the area is doing a midnight launch for Halo 3?

Thanks

Did anyone go to C-mart? I was too lazy, and with this TRU deal-io I really don't have the cash for anything else.

So let's put our heads together and simply find sometime. How about one of the first three weekends of October....I'll be ready to trade Warhawk and Lair by then.

I went to CMart, picked up Art of Fighting Anthology for PS2 for $7.50. They had Project Slypheed for $17.50 and $20, Bullet Witch for $15, TMNT for $25, Call of Juarez for $30, Star Trek Legacy for $20, NCAA and FF11 for cheap, all for 360, all with water damage. Maybe some other less noteworthy games I can't remember. They had 3 or 4 FF12 LE guides for $15 I almost bought. No Wii, PS3, PSP, DS, or GBA games. A bunch of XBoxs and Gamecubes for $50 and $25 if I understood correctly. Some GOW faceplates for $10, a Forza one for $5 or $7.50, a Mass Effect one for $15.

[quote name='lurknomore']Did anyone go to C-mart? I was too lazy, and with this TRU deal-io I really don't have the cash for anything else.

So let's put our heads together and simply find sometime. How about one of the first three weekends of October....I'll be ready to trade Warhawk and Lair by then.[/QUOTE]

I didn't go either, I was also lazy and figured there probably wasn't anything I really wanted to warrant a 30-40 minute drive. Plus with all the new games coming out in the next few months, I should probably save up for those.

Right now, I should be free any weekend in October for the next meet-up as I don't have anything planned then.

[quote name='cleaver']I went to CMart, picked up Art of Fighting Anthology for PS2 for $7.50. They had Project Slypheed for $17.50 and $20, Bullet Witch for $15, TMNT for $25, Call of Juarez for $30, Star Trek Legacy for $20, NCAA and FF11 for cheap, all for 360, all with water damage. Maybe some other less noteworthy games I can't remember. They had 3 or 4 FF12 LE guides for $15 I almost bought. No Wii, PS3, PSP, DS, or GBA games. A bunch of XBoxs and Gamecubes for $50 and $25 if I understood correctly. Some GOW faceplates for $10, a Forza one for $5 or $7.50, a Mass Effect one for $15.[/quote]

mass effect faceplate :shock:, may have to pick that up

Anyone in the DC Metro area on the Maryland side might wanna note a good retro store called Gamer Junction. Its in Gaithersburg and I get alot of great deals there almost weekly.

They got everything from nes to genesis to 360. Check it out, you won't be disappointed. Prices are normally reasonably low also. You can find some REALLY good deals on older stuff. Worth a look. I'm a regular there.

[quote name='FlamingMoogles']Anyone in the DC Metro area on the Maryland side might wanna note a good retro store called Gamer Junction. Its in Gaithersburg and I get alot of great deals there almost weekly.

They got everything from nes to genesis to 360. Check it out, you won't be disappointed. Prices are normally reasonably low also. You can find some REALLY good deals on older stuff. Worth a look. I'm a regular there.[/quote]

I've seen that place a couple of times. Is it like off of Goshen Rd?

What are the offers like on trade ins?

Got a phone number and address for Gamer Junction?

Edit: Found it

Gamer Junction
Address: 9122 Rothbury Dr, Gaithersburg, MD 20886 Phone:(301) 527-0314

The trade in value is relatively high. Higher than gs/eb at least. The catch is you gotta do store credit on that. There are also different levels of credit. Like you can't trade in a ps1 game for a ps2 game. Its gotta be on the same level. I think ps2 and ps3 are on the save level tho along with 360, xbox, gc, wii, ds, and psp. Everything below that is another level. Or something like that. Its on the sign when you walk in.

I tend to get good deals there regardless. Just get store credit and trade instead of cash. Cash is always less.

[quote name='decon']Got a phone number and address for Gamer Junction?[/quote]

Yup. Lemme find my business card.

9122 Rothbury Drive
Montgomery Village, MD 20886

Phone: 301-527-0314

Its right off of Goshen Rd. in Goshen Shopping Center. Thats the one with the cvs. Its across hte intersection from Safeway and acrosss the street from Giant.

Gamer Junction is ok. It is one of the few Mom and Pops in the area, and in fact it is only a handful of miles from my home. I used to go there and b.s. about games, but there is really not much of a collection imho. Just my two cents. Haven't been there in about 6 months, so maybe it has gotten better. They are good people though.

Gamer Junction? I'll have to check it out next time I'm down that way.

As for the meetup, I'm no good for the 13th/14th. Maybe the first weekend. I'll check my schedule.

MjC

[quote name='lurknomore']Gamer Junction is ok. It is one of the few Mom and Pops in the area, and in fact it is only a handful of miles from my home. I used to go there and b.s. about games, but there is really not much of a collection imho. Just my two cents. Haven't been there in about 6 months, so maybe it has gotten better. They are good people though.[/quote]

Yah, I remember when it was like that too. Recently however they've had a big growth in their inventory so every day it seems to get better and better.

My schedule now makes me unavailable for the next 3 weeks for any meetups. So it looks right now like the 20th of October would work for me.

MjC

How does the late afternoon of the 20th of October sound? We could do Dave and Buster's again. It would be a Saturday....that would give us all about a month to get our act together, our stuff together for trading and swapping....

We haven't had much talk so I'll just throw out this date and see if it sticks. We can't accommodate everyone, but I think that this is the best way to do things...otherwise we will never get anything done.

The 20th should work for me.

I still would like to do a local CAG BBQ / cookout at my place, but work and home improvements have otherwise distracted me from event planning. Perhaps we can lay the plans at the meetup.

The 20th of October will probably work for me, Dave and Buster's again or something would be cool. I don't have any plans right now, any weekend is pretty much free for me at the moment.

Dave & Buster's - Rockville, MD - CAG Meet-up / Swap
How does 4:30 pm onward sound...(we have been going 2-3 hours+)

Saturday, October 20

who plans to attend-
Lurknomore
jmiller80
GenDV138

[quote name='jgamezcua']Out of town on Oct 20, DAMN IT!!!!

Seriously have been wanting to make one of these at some time[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but that is inevitable...HOWEVER, if this is more interest for another date, then a change is still possible. We shall see from the response that we get the coming week.

[quote name='lurknomore']Dave & Buster's - Rockville, MD - CAG Meet-up / Swap
How does 4:30 pm onward sound...(we have been going 2-3 hours+)

Saturday, October 20

who plans to attend-
Lurknomore
jmiller80
GenDV138[/quote]

I am in and Lurk, thanks for setting this one up. I have been behind in about every aspect of life lately.

[quote name='jgamezcua']Is the Microcenter in Rockville open yet?[/QUOTE]
I subscribe to Microcenter email newsletters, and they sent me an invitation for employment....so I'm figuring that it is not open quite as of yet.

***updated

Dave & Buster's - Rockville, MD - CAG Meet-up / Swap
4:30 pm onward ...(we have been going 2-3 hours+)

Saturday, October 20

who plans to attend-
Lurknomore
jmiller80
GenDV138
thebob101
MCalvert01
coalhalo

bread's done
Back