what are your thoughts on tipping

[quote name='kainzero']what i mean is that the service is good at the nice restaurant because they HAVE to be.

whereas the chain one, they have a choice.

and something about that doesn't seem right, if i pay them the same.[/QUOTE]

I have no issues with that. I tip on the quality of service I expect--not the standards the owners of the restaurant are holding their employees to. Only difference its I'll go in with a little higher expectations for the service to earn the 20% tip in a nicer place.

But that's is why I don't eat at chain restaurants much, they often don't stress quality service enough, and I end up leaving unhappy. And the food is usually average at best on top of that.

I have much better luck at local joints--and not just 5* places. Plenty of casual places with $10 entrees etc. as local places don't have the marketing and name recognition and are much more dependent on repeat business. And thus stress good service more as they have to keep people happy and coming back. The chains get the tourists etc. from name recognition, tv ads of new entrees bringing people in etc.

I tip $1 per drink when I'm at a bar, or if I'm in a restaurant, I double the tax, and round it to the nearest dollar and tip that amount. Tax is 8.75% here now, so I guess I tip pretty well, but I do know that I always get great service whenever I return to a restaurant.

Not going to look over past convos or even google it but who came up with 15%?

Like someone mentioned previously, why should I tip more because I bought an expensive meal if the service was the same as one at a place like Chili's etc...

Pricier restaurants have a higher standard for service, so you should get better service (and the server is probably working harder) so the percentage system works from that standpoint.

I've never really given much though to where it came from, as I've just never had any issues with the system. I like servers being held accountable to me for most of their pay for serving me rather than a salary (which lead them to be uncaring, apathetic assholes like you get in non-commision retail stores).

And I've fortunately seldom been very strapped for cash (just a couple years early in grad school due to some personal problems) so I've never been a tightwad when it comes to parting with money, so I have no issue tipping 20% for good service and more for great be it a cheap meal or a $100+ meal and drinks.

[quote name='Will']Not going to look over past convos or even google it but who came up with 15%?

Like someone mentioned previously, why should I tip more because I bought an expensive meal if the service was the same as one at a place like Chili's etc...[/QUOTE]

The idea is that a larger bill often means that the server carried more or did more work. In any case, it's the unspoken rule, and if you're not willing to pay it, then you're a douche for dining out then.

bread's done
Back