Why Don't We Have More Cross Platform Play?

Malik112099

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I don't see any reason why some games (R6V, Rock Band, COD4) didnt have cross platform play. I think it would be fun to have that many more people to play/interact with online... i know..i know....xbox live and the psn network prolly butt heads and the whole server issue...i just think it would help bring the gaming community closer and add more to these already great games

IDK, probably because people from the consoles would run in their own little clans and there would be a lot of fanboy fighting. I know it is possible, think FFXI for example. People on PC, PS2 (ps3 can play it too) and 360 all play together, but in that game you have to have big teams of people. I think it is something that should be done though.

Why would the hardware makers collaborate like that?

When considering a multiplatform purchase where online play is involved, Microsoft would rather you buy the 360 version, and they're going to want to entice you to buy their version as much as possible. Allowing cross-platform play, besides the fact that the two services arent equal, would lessen one of the advantages they have to draw you to their platform.

I think it would be really cool to have Xbox and PS owners be pitted against one another, especially since there are alot of fanboys for each consel. It would bring alot of competition and emotion to the multiplayer games. If possible, they could set up servers that take advanatage of both networks. I am pretty sure this would not be possible but would be fun.

[quote name='guyver2077']i wish they actually had some more xbox live pc/360 games. i think only shadowrun and some other game allowed it[/quote]

that advantage that a PC player would have vs a 360 player would make the game almost unplayable IMO.

I wouldn't mind seeing a cross-platform RTS. Mostly due the the hilarity of watching a K/M user beat the snot out of a controller user in something like C&C 3.

Don't forget that people pay for XBL, but not PSN. If people on Xbox Live can play against people on PSN, wtf is the point of paying for Xbox live?

[quote name='linkpwns']Don't forget that people pay for XBL, but not PSN. If people on Xbox Live can play against people on PSN, wtf is the point of paying for Xbox live?[/quote]

To play Halo 3.

Yeah, that kind of bugs me.

My friends all have 360s, but I don't feel like buying my online games on my 360.

[quote name='linkpwns']Don't forget that people pay for XBL, but not PSN. If people on Xbox Live can play against people on PSN, wtf is the point of paying for Xbox live?[/quote]

they both connect to the same internet....xbox live is a much more robust service than the PSN currently is..im sure that once the PS3 starts the ball really rolling on the online stuff Sony will charge as well (PS4)

I'd love to do cross platform play with 360 owners.. . while I play for free, they have to pay. MS definitely doesn't need that on their customers conscience.

ive been wondering that for a while myself. seems like with all the games goign to diff platforms and systems now all being online why not? im sure its a money thing above all else since to do that youd probably have to take the time to make each game specifically for each systems as opposed to doing alot of porting. maybe someday though some game will allow for it ( heres to hoping ti will be an online resident evil game)

[quote name='linkpwns']Don't forget that people pay for XBL, but not PSN. If people on Xbox Live can play against people on PSN, wtf is the point of paying for Xbox live?[/QUOTE]

Interesting logic (hard to argue on its face). But, by this logic, you should get less options, because you pay for it? That seems a bit nuts.

I think, eventually, this will happen. I think along this logic.

Say you release a game 3 months apart. One on the 360, one on the PS3. For argument, PS3 is the better version, but the 360 came out first. If the 260 version sells surprisingly well, they may have a robut online community. Yet, then the PS3 version comes out. If it doesn't sell well early on, people with both consoles won't later decide to buy it on the PS3 (and PS3 only owners may pass) since the online community is lousy. Yet, if you combine them, it makes the game attractive for all.

This is less important for a COD4 or Rock Band, since they will sell well on every system. But, for smaller 3rd party games, this could happen.

I think it would be cool for Xbox 360 and PS3 to have cross platform play but I dont want my 360 online games tainted by PC players.

[quote name='linkpwns']Don't forget that people pay for XBL, but not PSN. If people on Xbox Live can play against people on PSN, wtf is the point of paying for Xbox live?[/QUOTE]

XBL should be free. Playing online wasn't a service that you had to pay for until XBL came along.

[quote name='daphatty']XBL should be free. Playing online wasn't a service that you had to pay for until XBL came along.[/quote]

Everquest says hullo.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Because the PS3 doesn't have Xbox Live, nor does the Xbox have PSN capability.

/thread[/QUOTE]
But the servers are not MS or PSN servers, are they? I dunno, I'm asking. I know that Infinity Ward uses the same middleware (Demonware) for match-making for all 3 platforms. Seems as though a middleware app would be able to do cross-platform match-making.

I don't think that matching up against K/M users would be fair for console users, but having played CoD4 on both the 360 and PS3, I'd be interested to see how they really compare in skill level.

I'ld like to see more of this but not if an advantage is given. I know PC hit boxes in FPS tend to be smaller and tighter than those on consoles but I sure as hell can whoop ass with a keyboard and mouse over a console's controller.

[quote name='daphatty']XBL should be free. Playing online wasn't a service that you had to pay for until XBL came along.[/QUOTE]
Neither was DLC.

Don't you love what Micrsoft has done for the industry?

[quote name='PyroGamer']Neither was DLC.

Don't you love what Micrsoft has done for the industry?[/quote]

Actually yes. Live is great, friends lists and invites are great, achievements are great, and downloadable content is great. I dont recall any of those things existing before Microsoft entered the console market.

And why would you expect downloadable content to be free? Just because it doesnt come on physical media like a disc doesnt mean the developers arent entitled to compensation for their product. Do you think if Microsoft never existed and Sony developed the idea of downloadable content they'd give shit away out of the kindness of their heart?

[quote name='Maklershed']Actually yes. Live is great, friends lists and invites are great, achievements are great, and downloadable content is great. I dont recall any of those things existing before Microsoft entered the console market.
[/QUOTE]

Downloadable content on consoles started with the Xbox, but it's been on the PC for ages. Games get new multiplayer maps in patches all the time, plus there are tons of fanmade maps of decent quality. In addition to maps PC games have plenty of mods, both official and unofficial.

[quote name='Maklershed']I dont recall any of those things existing before Microsoft entered the console market.[/quote]I'll give you achievements. The rest? No.

bread's done
Back