Wii: Increases Production To 1.8 Million Consoles A Month!

Zen Davis

Banned
That's A LOT of Wii!

Nintendo Raises Wii Output, Will Boost Revenue With China Sales
By Hiroshi Suzuki

Oct. 26 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co. said it raised production of the Wii player by 80 percent during the fiscal second quarter to bolster revenue in Europe, and will further expand sales by selling the console in China next year.

Nintendo, the world's largest maker of handheld game players, plans to keep monthly production at 1.8 million Wii consoles, after boosting the output during the three months ended June 30, President Satoru Iwata said at a briefing in Tokyo today. The console will also be sold in Korea from next year, Iwata said.

The Wii lured buyers with a controller that replicates users' movements on screen, helping the player outsell Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 console by about three to one, according to researcher Enterbrain Inc. The company today said it plans to introduce more features such as an online television guide on the Wii to attract more customers.

``We are trying to create an environment that every household has a Wii,'' Iwata said. ``We are not done yet.''

Iwata ruled out any immediate cut to the Wii's $250 price tag, following reductions by Sony.

The production increase, from 1 million units in the three months ended March 31, allowed Nintendo to ship more Wiis in the U.K. and European regions, Iwata said.

Sales of the Wii, which began selling in Europe in December 2006, rose about 50 percent in the three months ended Sept. 30 to 1.54 million, Nintendo said in a statement today.

Nintendo yesterday raised its sales target for the Wii by 6.1 percent to 17.5 million units in the year ending March 31, and the goal for game titles by 35 percent to 97 million copies.

Shares of Nintendo rose 2 percent to 67,700 yen at the close on the Osaka Securities Exchange, while the benchmark Nikkei 225 Stock Average climbed 1.4 percent.

I look forward the the news story, "Wii a huge success in China - sells 10 million consoles. Super Mario Galaxy is a flop - sells 52 copies." :D

[quote name='rodeojones903']I look forward the the news story, "Wii a huge success in China - sells 10 million consoles. Super Mario Galaxy is a flop - sells 52 copies." :D[/quote]

Wii Chinese Resturant -

"You want Pork Fried Rice with that?!"

the wii succes thing is so annoying to me. i give nintendo props for coming up with a way to sell a product to non gamers and their old console base but damn the thing isnt really a real console to me. the majority of the games are made for the add crowd and most of the consoles sold are to peopel who dont really enjoy gaming. add to that the cheap price and of course they will be in the lead.

it didnt help the ps3 was so expensive and the xbox had so many faulty systems.me personally im a sony fan and a fan of good games in general and i have no problem saying microsoft is winning the console war right now but in my eyes theres really only 2 major consoles. the wii is just a minor distraction.

and the goal for game titles by 35 percent to 97 million copies.

That's a lot of mini-games.

I think some of the demand has been due to how hard it is to get a Wii console, I wonder if demand will stay as strong if the consoles are readily available.

They've got a good business plan going though, I wouldn't be suprised to see them reach their goals.

[quote name='lokizz']i have no problem saying microsoft is winning the console war right now[/quote]
You're welcome to say that if it makes you feel better, but you're wrong. The Wii is winning the console war, even if you think of it as a "minor distraction."

[quote name='lokizz']the wii succes thing is so annoying to me. i give nintendo props for coming up with a way to sell a product to non gamers and their old console base but damn the thing isnt really a real console to me. the majority of the games are made for the add crowd and most of the consoles sold are to peopel who dont really enjoy gaming. add to that the cheap price and of course they will be in the lead.

it didnt help the ps3 was so expensive and the xbox had so many faulty systems.me personally im a sony fan and a fan of good games in general and i have no problem saying microsoft is winning the console war right now but in my eyes theres really only 2 major consoles. the wii is just a minor distraction.[/quote]Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, Sonic & the Secret Rings, Mario Strikers, and Mario Galaxy aren't enough to make it a "real console"?

You needn't like them all, but to say that there's only stuff on there for people who aren't real gamers is ignorant at best.

[quote name='daroga']Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, Sonic & the Secret Rings, Mario Strikers, and Mario Galaxy aren't enough to make it a "real console"?

You needn't like them all, but to say that there's only stuff on there for people who aren't real gamers is ignorant at best.[/QUOTE]

How is the Sonic game? I'm also wondering when people will be able to find a Wii in stores. This bullshit has gone on long enough.

[quote name='Sarang01']How is the Sonic game? I'm also wondering when people will be able to find a Wii in stores. This bullshit has gone on long enough.[/quote]It's pretty solid. Not perfect by any means, but I had a lot of fun with it. I'm hoping for a sequel that will improve on the formula. Worth at least at rent (or a buy as its price continues to fall).

It's true, though. It'd be nice to be able to tell someone who plays my system, "oh, yeah, you can pick one up wherever." Rather than saying, "Oooh, gonna have to call stores and try to find one that way, or pay a premium on eBay."

I can't believe how well the thing sells and for how long it's been not in stock anywhere on a regular basis.

Add MLB Power Pros, Zack and Wiki, The BEST version of RE4, and EXCITEtruck to that list. Those games are all awesome.

You could add 3 million a month and I don't think it will satisfy the demand that is going to pop up around Christmas time.

As for anyone buying a Wii, the above poster is spot on with great games.

[quote name='daroga']It's pretty solid. Not perfect by any means, but I had a lot of fun with it. I'm hoping for a sequel that will improve on the formula. Worth at least at rent (or a buy as its price continues to fall).

It's true, though. It'd be nice to be able to tell someone who plays my system, "oh, yeah, you can pick one up wherever." Rather than saying, "Oooh, gonna have to call stores and try to find one that way, or pay a premium on eBay."

I can't believe how well the thing sells and for how long it's been not in stock anywhere on a regular basis.[/QUOTE]

I'm most interested in the VC to be honest. I want to pick up "Paper Mario", "Sin and Punishment" as well as some of the TG-16 games. I mean I suppose past that there are a FEW Wii games that interest me.

[quote name='lokizz']the wii succes thing is so annoying to me. i give nintendo props for coming up with a way to sell a product to non gamers and their old console base but damn the thing isnt really a real console to me. the majority of the games are made for the add crowd and most of the consoles sold are to peopel who dont really enjoy gaming. add to that the cheap price and of course they will be in the lead.

it didnt help the ps3 was so expensive and the xbox had so many faulty systems.me personally im a sony fan and a fan of good games in general and i have no problem saying microsoft is winning the console war right now but in my eyes theres really only 2 major consoles. the wii is just a minor distraction.[/QUOTE]

Please define a "real console."

Honestly, I sold my Wii for the very reason lolkizz seems to be espousing. While there are some games worth playing on it, there's not a whole lot that makes me wanna run out and get. Metroid Prime 3 looks great, sure, but I'm not gonna spend $250 to play what is essentially the older Prime games with Wii controls. I'm also not interested in playing what are essentially GameCube ports with tacked-on Wii controls. I'm looking at you, Strikers, Excite Truck, and Resident Evil 4.

lokizz:

I apologize for the fanboys over here. They obviously think that they can somehow use factual evidence of Wii's goodness to convince you that the console is very much awesome, contrary to the opinion you've expressed in your post.

Please, don't take any of this personally.

Cheers,

MarioColbert.

[quote name='Zen Davis']*Buys Nintendo Stock*

Or will sometime tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo is privately owned and I don't think ANY of their stock has ever hit the market. I could be mistaken on the latter but I know I'm right on the former.

They must have done it a month ago, because they seem to be fairly easy to find now.

Now only if there was a game I felt I needed to play on it.

I like this line:

``We are trying to create an environment that every household has a Wii,'' Iwata said. ``We are not done yet.''

lol "We are not done yet." xD

[quote name='whoknows']They must have done it a month ago, because they seem to be fairly easy to find now.

Now only if there was a game I felt I needed to play on it.[/QUOTE]
November 12th, my friend.

One game isnt so hard to find. I can find one but only one game on the PSP that I would play (Jeanne D'Arc)

There are such a thing as demographics. I keep up with things. Heres a challenge: Find a 360 exclusive game that I would actually want to play (on disc, not downloadable). I havent found one yet. Operation Darkness fits the bill but its not out yet.

Keeping tabs on RPGs is very easy on some systems.

[quote name='daroga']Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, Sonic & the Secret Rings, Mario Strikers, and Mario Galaxy aren't enough to make it a "real console"?

You needn't like them all, but to say that there's only stuff on there for people who aren't real gamers is ignorant at best.[/quote]

of the games youve mentioned how many fo them are pretty much the same as their gc counterparts aside from slightly better graphics and wiimote controls?

[quote name='lokizz']of the games youve mentioned how many fo them are pretty much the same as their gc counterparts aside from slightly better graphics and wiimote controls?[/QUOTE]
All of them?

[quote name='lokizz']of the games youve mentioned how many fo them are pretty much the same as their gc counterparts aside from slightly better graphics and wiimote controls?[/quote]What does that have to do with anything you mentioned?

[quote name='The Crotch']
Buy Fire Emblem![/QUOTE]
I can't play the Fire Emblem games anymore, too stressful when it comes to keeping everyone alive :lol:

In Path of Radiance I tried to give up on that, but everytime someone died I felt bad and had to reload my save :p

[quote name='lokizz']of the games youve mentioned how many fo them are pretty much the same as their gc counterparts aside from slightly better graphics and wiimote controls?[/quote]

I don't get your reasoning, honestly. Like 90% of games ever are the same as they were on the last generation of consoles besides better graphics. Going from last gen to this gen the only difference for most 360 games is graphics and better online support, for PS3 it's graphics and online support and some control differences, for Wii it's slightly improved graphics, new controls, and some online support.

This is how video games work. The Wii controls were changed because of this. They wanted to make games different by making the controls different (easier for the most part, for a wider consumer base). And make sure they had something different to sell since the PS3 and 360 are basically selling the same thing.

I mean really, how you can say "tell me how these games are different besides these differences" and not feel retarded?

[quote name='Zen Davis']I can't wait to see what Nintendo does with their bundles of cash.[/quote]
I'm pretty sure they are just going to swim in it Scrooge McDuck style.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I'm pretty sure they are just going to swim in it Scrooge McDuck style.[/quote]

Hopefully not in coins though....diving in that would hurt like a motherfucker

[quote name='whoknows']I can't play the Fire Emblem games anymore, too stressful when it comes to keeping everyone alive :lol:

In Path of Radiance I tried to give up on that, but everytime someone died I felt bad and had to reload my save :p[/quote]

I kinda remember reading that in this newest Fire Emblem game, they removede that 'dead once = dead forever' feature. Im not 100% but I think I did read that.

Actually, I'm wondering why this took so long. It seems intentional, since I have never seen a console go this long without seeing it on a shelf (honestly, I've yet to see this one on a shelf at all, and since I see the PS3's all the time, I'm doubting they are all in the back. In fairness, I'm only glancing, but still.

I'm worried that game companies will look next generation, see Wii's success, see the PS3's early struggles, and decide that the way to go is to limit your release for the first year.

[quote name='Puffa469']I kinda remember reading that in this newest Fire Emblem game, they removede that 'dead once = dead forever' feature. Im not 100% but I think I did read that.[/quote]

Nope they didnt. Thank God, I dont want the best SRPG series ruined by someone who cant figure out where to place people.

[quote name='Zen Davis']I can't wait to see what Nintendo does with their bundles of cash.[/QUOTE]

Money fight!

Seriously, though, I have seen Wiis in the wild several times over the past few weeks and this news helps explain that I suppose. I'm surprised they are so easy to find this close to xmas though. I guess they'll become harder to find soon enough though.

What surprises me from that article, unless I'm reading something incorrectly, is the apparent attach rate for the Wii. Wii-bashing CAGs always like to point out some incredibly low attach rate number for the Wii (implying non-gamers buy it for Wii Sports and then let it rust).

But while it is just their fiscal year goal, Nintendo is aiming for 97 million games sold in that year along with 17.5 million systems. That seems like way more than 1 game per system to me. And yes, it counts games sold to people who bought systems before this fiscal year, but it is still way more than 1 per Wii.

And anyone, at THIS point, who says the Wii has no games is an ignorant jackass. You could get away with that through the summer perhaps, but not any more. Fine if YOU don't like Zelda or Metroid or Mario or Fire Emblem or unique things like Zak and Wiki, but the fact remains there are solid games for gamers. Sorry, it has to be said ;).

[quote name='lordxixor101']Actually, I'm wondering why this took so long. It seems intentional, since I have never seen a console go this long without seeing it on a shelf (honestly, I've yet to see this one on a shelf at all, and since I see the PS3's all the time, I'm doubting they are all in the back. In fairness, I'm only glancing, but still.
[/quote]

[quote name='lokizz']of the games youve mentioned how many fo them are pretty much the same as their gc counterparts aside from slightly better graphics and wiimote controls?[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the world of video games. You must have missed the PS3 and 360 games that were just the same as their PS2 and XBox counterparts aside from slighty better graphics.

[quote name='Blitz']Welcome to the world of video games. You must have missed the PS3 and 360 games that were just the same as their PS2 and XBox counterparts aside from slighty better graphics.[/quote]But the claim from Nintendo is that they're doing something different, whereas Microsoft and Sony, more or less, have said they're doing more of the same (excluding the 4D idiocy).

That said, I had more fun with Zelda with motion controls than I would've with a normal controllers (especially the endgame), Super Paper Mario had some neat Wii Remote things. Wii Sports sells the system with its intutitive controls to people who don't normally play many games.

So, in a way it is a copy of the things before, but that's only if you look skin-deep. Really playing things on the system (and comparing 360 or PS3 games side by side) you really being to appreciate what can be done on the Wii that can't be done elsewhere. That's of course going with the quality titles on the system; the Wii has plenty of crap at this point too.

[quote name='Wlogan31']Ummm...in case you weren't joking...

http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=NTDO.Y

It is definately traded in Japan - not sure exactly how it works in the US.[/quote]

Yup, Nintendo is publicly owned company whose stock shares are traded on the TSE (Tokyo Stock Exchange) and tracked by the Nikkei index. As oppossed to publicly traded US companies, which are usually traded on the NYSE (New York Stock Exchange), and NASDAQ (National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotes).

NOA (Nintendo of America) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo, so its not traded on any American exchanges.

You can buy and sell Nintendo stock, but it requires a broker specializing in foreign stocks, meaning you cant do it by yourself thru any of those online brokers. You can invest in some mutual funds that invest in foreign companies tho, and many of those funds invest in Nintendo, since its such an attractive stock.

Where I think Sarang got confused is that Nintendo was started as a private company by the Yamauchi family, who continued to run it until just a few years ago, although they went public like in the 50's I think.

You can read a bit about the history of Nintendo on their website.

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/history.jsp

Can you tell that I a) work in the financial world, and b) have alot of time on my hands? lol

[quote name='Puffa469']Yup, Nintendo is publicly owned company whose stock shares are traded on the TSE (Tokyo Stock Exchange) and tracked by the Nikkei index. As oppossed to publicly traded US companies, which are usually traded on the NYSE (New York Stock Exchange), and NASDAQ (National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotes).

NOA (Nintendo of America) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo, so its not traded on any American exchanges.

You can buy and sell Nintendo stock, but it requires a broker specializing in foreign stocks, meaning you cant do it by yourself thru any of those online brokers. You can invest in some mutual funds that invest in foreign companies tho, and many of those funds invest in Nintendo, since its such an attractive stock.

Where I think Sarang got confused is that Nintendo was started as a private company by the Yamauchi family, who continued to run it until just a few years ago, although they went public like in the 50's I think.

Can you tell that I a) work in the financial world, and b) have alot of time on my hands? lol[/quote]
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ntdoy.pk

You can buy NTDOY.PK through your online broker (I did it via Fidelity). This is an ADR (American Depositary Receipt), which is a common way to trade in foreign stocks - perhaps other more finance-savvy people can explain the difference between ADR and a common stock. As far as I remember, commission was in line with the usual stock trade.

[quote name='pgpg']http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ntdoy.pk

You can buy NTDOY.PK through your online broker (I did it via Fidelity). This is an ADR (American Depositary Receipt), which is a common way to trade in foreign stocks - perhaps other more finance-savvy people can explain the difference between ADR and a common stock. As far as I remember, commission was in line with the usual stock trade.[/quote]

Interesting... I should take this time to point out that I work with Bonds, not Stocks. :D

[quote name='pgpg']http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ntdoy.pk

You can buy NTDOY.PK through your online broker (I did it via Fidelity). This is an ADR (American Depositary Receipt), which is a common way to trade in foreign stocks - perhaps other more finance-savvy people can explain the difference between ADR and a common stock. As far as I remember, commission was in line with the usual stock trade.[/quote]From what I understand, you're not trading individual shares with the ADR, it's more like blocks of shares.

Hey, I have decided for sure to pick that one up. It was one of my "not so sure" trade 2 get 1 preorder games at EB along with Dewy, Battalion Wars, Mario & Sonic, and NiGHTS. It will probably be the only one of those I actually pick up and keep (instead of switching to something else or returning). And that is thanks almost entirely to the hype here, including your hard work ;). (And the fact that I enjoyed the GC FE immensely).

so........ people might get a wii for xmas..

I feel sorry for all those people waiting every other sunday at TRU and forced to buy a wii bundle pack with TRU's protection plan for like 400 bucks :p

Well I got my Wii, and I didn't have to wait in line for it or pay a redicilous amount either. 1 more week til Mario and Sonic..........then another 2-3 weeks after that for RE:UC!!

[quote name='Puffa469']Yup, Nintendo is publicly owned company whose stock shares are traded on the TSE (Tokyo Stock Exchange) and tracked by the Nikkei index. As oppossed to publicly traded US companies, which are usually traded on the NYSE (New York Stock Exchange), and NASDAQ (National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotes).

Can you tell that I a) work in the financial world, and b) have alot of time on my hands? lol[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks for the clarification then. I will say it makes sense that Nintendo does what they do now with no interference from stockholders. They don't have to deal with any of the idiotic day traders who care more about day and current gains over more annual or bi-annual one's. They're the idiots who can't see in the long time and it seems their kind have infested the American CEO pool with people obssessed with short over long term gains. How else can you explain the incompetance that is Outsourcing? It's nothing more then Wealth Transferrance just masked.

bread's done
Back