Wii U - General Discussion Thread

They should have just gone with a different name altogether.  NES->SNES is the only other time they tried consoles with similar names, every other console has been unique.

Then again, I don't think people are that stupid.  People "get it" with Playstation and Xbox when they have similar names as their predecessors.  I just think the lack of games and price has tempered what was already going to be a hard sell.  The casuals were never going to hop back on board, especially at $300+.  Grandma ain't buying a console whose controller has more than a dozen buttons plus a screen with infinite control possibilities. Simplicity is why the Wii was a success, that was never gonna happen again.

Well, I do agree about the gamepad being an awesome feature (especially since I was the one who thought of it back in the N64 days and flew out to Nintendo to show them... email me for the Magazine article if you have doubts), but I didn't think about the need to include a Wii-mote. I guess they could have found ways to use the gamepad only or just bit the bullet and included a Wii-mote at $350 (and pushed Nintendo Land as an added sale title). I think they also could have released a "Greatest Hits" line at launch of HD upgrades to their Nintendo Select line... imagine Mario Galaxy in HD at launch... and could have even offered a digital only upgrade program or something. The whole online store has been poorly managed from Day 1. I think they should have offered a FREE download of the original Super Mario Bros. with the Wii, but they could have done it again with WiiU... Give people a reason to go online into the store! The $0.30 games were nice, but imagine an ad on the box that said SMB was included FREE (or any game really) to get people interested/excited about the VC and get them to start downloading games.

Well, I do agree about the gamepad being an awesome feature (especially since I was the one who thought of it back in the N64 days and flew out to Nintendo to show them... email me for the Magazine article if you have doubts), but I didn't think about the need to include a Wii-mote. I guess they could have found ways to use the gamepad only or just bit the bullet and included a Wii-mote at $350 (and pushed Nintendo Land as an added sale title). I think they also could have released a "Greatest Hits" line at launch of HD upgrades to their Nintendo Select line... imagine Mario Galaxy in HD at launch... and could have even offered a digital only upgrade program or something. The whole online store has been poorly managed from Day 1. I think they should have offered a FREE download of the original Super Mario Bros. with the Wii, but they could have done it again with WiiU... Give people a reason to go online into the store! The $0.30 games were nice, but imagine an ad on the box that said SMB was included FREE (or any game really) to get people interested/excited about the VC and get them to start downloading games.
Looks like your idea cost Nintendo a lot of money.

They didn't do it right. :p  Nor did Sega with VMU really. The 4 Swords use wasn't bad... but the original idea was for it to be small and just for football play selection or sonar or hiding things on a map. It would have been much, much cheaper if they went with the original incarnation of it.

Thanks for the responses to my questions guys. I'll give Lego City a whirl, it came with the bunch of games I got when I bought my console. I'm loving the hell out of the demo for Wonderful 101. That's a fun time. I can't wait for the b2g1 at Target next week. Gonna grab me some Pikmin, some Wonderful 101, and probably Sega All Star Racing (the Mrs. loved the demo). Any of you cool cats playing Monster Hunter? Maybe set up a night each week to play?

Played Pikmin 3 for an hour and change.

I love it!  :bouncy:

Game is gorgeous and I really like the Gamepad/map/menu features.  Would get into it but don't wanna spoil it for those who haven't played the game yet. 

Only adjustment I'm not feeling is the stay command when using the Wiimote + nunchuck has been changed from the "C" button to "waggle". Ughhh, do I hate me some waggle...  it's the reason I sold the Wii version of DKCR for the 3ds version. 

Story is fresh and intriguing and did I mention this game is gorgeous?  :p 

Last edited by a moderator:
Pikmin 3 works awesome with the Pro Controller - I use that with the Gamepad at my side for occasional map usage.   Get a Pro Controller!

Just to put a bow on all of Blasterman's doom and gloom, Nintendo will be fine. Price cut this holiday will work along with new games they have on deck (like Mario Land). Nintendo should have called this Wii HD, packed in a new Wii Sports + Resort mash-up and they would have done much better. Think about how Super Mario sold the orig. NES, so they packed in SMW with the SNES. This time around they should have realized that Wii Sports sold the last console... not Mario... and did things according to the new paradigm.

Well, it happened: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/429919/wii-sports-set-for-hd-online-wii-u-release/

I don't care for the pricing. Broken up it looks awful to me since Tennis and Bowling are the clear winners in my household. I'd be more interested in a physical release with all sports at a budget $40 price.

I think having Wii Fit U as a free download for the first couple of months is a good idea. You can try it out for a month if you already have the balance board and buy the fit meter if you want to keep it. It will also be nice for people who buy the full package since they will still have the option of downloading it for free while still having a physical copy. 

I know there were people who bought the Wii for Wii Fit, so I suspect this may entice people to buy the Wii U. Although, I do wish they would have lowered the price a bit more. 

I agree, Wii Sports Club costs too much. It should be $15 for everything.

If I had the spare cash I'd be in on the B2G1 deal, I'm already buying Scribblenauts Unmasked next week, but I've got like 4 birthdays and my anniversary over the next 5 weeks, need to save some dough.

I'm probably going to get the zelda windwaker wii u.. I always have used hori products how are the screen protector for this any good does it fit alright?
I'm thinking of getting a game pad proctector too since the controller as some artwork on it.

Anyone used these products? are they worth getting or do they scratch the gamepad up?

Wii U gamepad protector

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-U-GamePad-Protector-Nintendo/dp/B009UONG26/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1379515216&sr=1-1&keywords=gamepad+hori

Silicone gamepad protector

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-U-Silicone-Protector-Nintendo/dp/B009NRO1HO/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1379515216&sr=1-3&keywords=gamepad+hori

Screen protector

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-U-Precision-Screen-Filter-Nintendo/dp/B009NRO1J2/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1379528667&sr=1-1&keywords=hori

I don't have wii u yet mostly excited for smash bros, pikmin 3, earthbound, and wind waker hd even though I already played gamecube one..

I have the hori screen protector for the gamepad and it is excellent. do get it.

for protector, can't help you there.  the clear hori certainly would be my choice out of the 2. it shows off the special gamepad while still protecting it. (tho it doesn't appear it can sit in the charging cradle nicely...)  I generally dislike silicon cover because I think they attract dust and don't like the feel.  I personally use the nerf armor and it is excellent but obviously kills the idea of the special gamepad.

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-U-Gamepad-Nerf-Armor-Nintendo/dp/B00A878KWU/

Interesting news on the Wii Sports.   I see in the thread on that news site that everyone is crapping all over the idea.  But don't a lot of the Nintendo-haters say that they needed some sort of Wii Sports like thing (even, gasp, an HD remake) to juice Wii U sales?  Nintendo is in a lose-lose situation with a lot of people.

The $2 day pass sounds interesting.  I'm generally not into such things but at least they are trying some novel pricing ideas.  And $9 per game isn't too bad if you tended to play just a few of the games.  They do seem to be adding quite a bit of features with them not only being HD, but with Wii Motion Plus controls (so we can assume these will be much better than the original waggle versions), plus online multiplayer.  Online multiplayer seems like a big deal - and another thing people always knock Nintendo for not doing.  So here they do it and they get bashed.  Sigh...

Also, isn't baseball new?  I don't remember that being part of the original one.  That could be fun.  I could see myself getting bowling and baseball at least, and considering golf and tennis.  Of course I may wait for a sale or bundle on them (which they could still offer with the online versions at some point down the road).

Baseball is not new. It was the one played most in my house.
Was it really in the original Wii Sports? Wow... I don't remember that at all. I remember the awesome Mario Super Sluggers (or whatever the Wii version was called). We played that all the time. But we haven't played Wii Sports in at least 5 years. So that's kind of why I'm interested in these remakes. Yeah, sure, I could fire up Wii mode and play the original game, but there's nothing exciting about doing that. An HD, online multiplayer, Wii Motion Plus version that I can start up off the Wii U, on the other hand, is a little more interesting.

oh just read the article about wii sport

I don't mind the digital (and probably more convenient for this type of game) and I am pretty sure I will go in for tennis and bowling.   online multiplayer!

I think its a good move on Nintendo's part with the Sports HD collection, let the online minority say what they want, there is still a demand for that type of experience on the Wii U.  The pricing structure doesn't seem that high considering the HD + Wii motion plus + online features added.  Golf would be interesting if they incorporated the idea of the gamepad displaying the ball on the tee, would make it much more tangible (albeit dangerous for the pad with kids).

And personally I found the Baseball sport from the original to be the most lacking (well, besides boxing...), so it's no wonder you forgot about it io.  Now with the added features (especially online) it may be a bit more interesting, though tennis would still be the best one IMO.

Yeah, I don't think I played boxing once.  And I still can't remember baseball at all ;).

Bowling is #1.  I may get that immediately and then wait on sales for the others (except Boxing which I'd skip entirely).  I was actually just recently playing Tennis in Sports Champions 2 (on PS3) and that is everything Wii Sports tennis should have been originally.  It will be interesting to see how close they can get to that with the Wii Motion Plus controls.  Bowling is pretty good in Sports Champions 2 as well.

Wow, I'm going to lose days and weeks to Wii Sports Club. I hope that the Wii Golf is alot closer to the Resort version. I didn't like the original Golf version but I sunk a ton of hours into the Resort version. Hopefully there are more features in each game that they are holding back right now.

I am a little confused about the Wii U as far as the Virtual Console games. Are all the games released on the VC for the Wii available to download on the Wii U? I am thinking of picking up a Wii U and I'd love to grab Ocarina of Time to start off with among others.

Only a handful are available on both the Wii And Wii U.  If they aren't available "natively" for the Wii U, then you can download them from the old Wii shop.  But you can't play them on the Gamepad and you'd have to start up "Wii" mode on the Wii U every time you wanted to play them.

I'm probably going to get the zelda windwaker wii u.. I always have used hori products how are the screen protector for this any good does it fit alright?
I'm thinking of getting a game pad proctector too since the controller as some artwork on it.

Anyone used these products? are they worth getting or do they scratch the gamepad up?

Wii U gamepad protector

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-U-GamePad-Protector-Nintendo/dp/B009UONG26/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1379515216&sr=1-1&keywords=gamepad+hori

Silicone gamepad protector

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-U-Silicone-Protector-Nintendo/dp/B009NRO1HO/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1379515216&sr=1-3&keywords=gamepad+hori

Screen protector

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-U-Precision-Screen-Filter-Nintendo/dp/B009NRO1J2/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1379528667&sr=1-1&keywords=hori

I don't have wii u yet mostly excited for smash bros, pikmin 3, earthbound, and wind waker hd even though I already played gamecube one..
I got a nerf one that works pretty well.

Pikmin 3 works awesome with the Pro Controller - I use that with the Gamepad at my side for occasional map usage. Get a Pro Controller!
I didn't realize you could play the game with a Pro Controller. Gonna try it out tonight. :)

Not really sure how I feel about Wii Sports Club.

It's a nice idea and I'm glad they are offering online, but I don't think it'll be my thing. If anything I'll get the tennis one but most likely I'll try out the games during the free month and then never touch the games again.

The fact that Nintendo is offering online communities for the game is promising. Here's hoping they greatly expand online play with the Nintendo brand this generation.

For those interested in picking up accessories for the Wii U, I recommend this battery life extender attachment for the GamePad:

http://www.amazon.com/Uboost-Wii-U-Nintendo/dp/B009Q5XGO2/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1379570647&sr=1-2&keywords=nyko

It serves as a battery life extender (you push a button when your GamePad battery is running low and it will start charging it) and doubles as a kickstand to hold the GamePad upright on its own. It attaches to the back of the GamePad and charges simultaneously while on the cradle which is nice.

FYI, the U.S. pricing for the Wii Sports Club games is $10 each - so that effectively makes it a $50 game if you get them all.  That seems a bit too much.  I think they should have gone with $8 if not $5.  $10 is just a touch too much, but I'd still probably buy bowling and maybe wait on a sale for the others.

Kind of wish the whole package was about $30.

Only a handful are available on both the Wii And Wii U. If they aren't available "natively" for the Wii U, then you can download them from the old Wii shop. But you can't play them on the Gamepad and you'd have to start up "Wii" mode on the Wii U every time you wanted to play them.
I'm sorry, I've read this post 5 times and still don't understand. So, they're re-releasing them on the VC for the Wii U? And if they haven't re-released them for the Wii U then you can play them in "Wii" mode? Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks!

I'm sorry, I've read this post 5 times and still don't understand. So, they're re-releasing them on the VC for the Wii U? And if they haven't re-released them for the Wii U then you can play them in "Wii" mode? Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks!
Yeah, OK, so here's the deal. There's the whole Wii VC which it seems you are familiar with. You can transfer those to your Wii U and play those or buy new ones on the Wii U when running in Wii mode only. "Wii mode" means clicking an icon on the Wii U interface to boot the system up in Wii mode which basically makes it a self-contained and independent Wii system.

Then there is the Wii U eShop which is completely separate from that of the Wii, with one caveat. If you have previously purchased a game on the Wii shop and it is also available on the Wii U eShop, you can purchase it at a discount for the Wii U (currently $1 for NES, $1.50 for SNES games). I think I've done that just with Super Mario World so far. While the shops are independent, you establish a link between them when you do the initial Wii U setup (if you transfer your Wii content at that time).

There are two distinct advantages to having them on the Wii U. First, there is simply the convenience of having the games on the main Wii U interface (instead of having to boot up Wii mode to access them). But more importantly, and the reason Nintendo charges an upgrade fee, the games have additional functionality. The most important of those is being able to play on the Gamepad. But I think they added save states in addition to MiiVerse support.

Long story short: yes, you can get OoT on the Wii U, but it would have to be through the Wii shop and you would have to play it in Wii mode with Wii controllers (Wiimote or Classic controller) and not the Gamepad. There are not any N64 games on the Wii U eShop yet, though for sure they will add them at some time (not sure why they are dragging their feet on that, but whatever...).

The Wii Sports pricing structure seems bad but more important is that this is the antithesis of the original Wii Sports.  Wii Sports came with all consoles on a disk.  You didn't have to connect to the Internet or use a credit card online to buy it.  Everyone had it and it was the "killer app" for the system and sold a lot of Wii's.  This will not come standard with the systems and since you have to buy and download it from the eShop, it's not going to be nearly as popular and people won't be showing it to their friends. 

This is the wrong approach.  It's like Nintendo doesn't understand why the Wii sold well.  People posting on video game message boards may buy these downloads but the normal customer that did all the word of mouth free advertising last time around (if they own the console at all right now) aren't going to buy this game from the eShop and frankly most normal customers probably never buy from the eShop.

The Wii Sports pricing structure seems bad but more important is that this is the antithesis of the original Wii Sports. Wii Sports came with all consoles on a disk. You didn't have to connect to the Internet or use a credit card online to buy it. Everyone had it and it was the "killer app" for the system and sold a lot of Wii's. This will not come standard with the systems and since you have to buy and download it from the eShop, it's not going to be nearly as popular and people won't be showing it to their friends.

This is the wrong approach. It's like Nintendo doesn't understand why the Wii sold well. People posting on video game message boards may buy these downloads but the normal customer that did all the word of mouth free advertising last time around (if they own the console at all right now) aren't going to buy this game from the eShop and frankly most normal customers probably never buy from the eShop.
Definitely agree with this.

I have no intention of purchasing anything from their Eshop, unless it's very, very heavily discounted.

After looking at the games, I also have a tough time re-paying $10+tax for every enhanced version of these Wii games. They still look like crap, and that was fine for a pack-in Wii sports.

With this new approach, I have zero incentive to buy them again, for a slight visual improvement, and supposed online play. These are shallow games that were meant to be played for fun with family. Do they think that people will seriously invest their time into tournaments of Wii tennis, and bowling because they think these games are based on any real skill? Go sign up for tennis lessons, or take your kids bowling...

Definitely agree with this.
I have no intention of purchasing anything from their Eshop, unless it's very, very heavily discounted.
After looking at the games, I also have a tough time re-paying $10+tax for every enhanced version of these Wii games. They still look like crap, and that was fine for a pack-in Wii sports.
With this new approach, I have zero incentive to buy them again, for a slight visual improvement, and supposed online play. These are shallow games that were meant to be played for fun with family.
I was with you until . . .

Do they think that people will seriously invest their time into tournaments of Wii tennis, and bowling because they think these games are based on any real skill? Go sign up for tennis lessons, or take your kids bowling...
Sure, why not? You're describing the difference between real life and all video games.

I was with you until . . .

Sure, why not? You're describing the difference between real life and all video games.
I think he was saying that because it's not a popular online console. I have no clue if Wii sports on Wii U will have an active online community...

I think he was saying that because it's not a popular online console. I have no clue if Wii sports on Wii U will have an active online community...
Maybe that's why it's download only. It still is, right? They've gotta start building an online community sometime and Miiverse is doing ok, right?

With this new approach, I have zero incentive to buy them again, for a slight visual improvement, and supposed online play. These are shallow games that were meant to be played for fun with family. Do they think that people will seriously invest their time into tournaments of Wii tennis, and bowling because they think these games are based on any real skill? Go sign up for tennis lessons, or take your kids bowling...
I know a some casual gamer Wii owners who spent a lot of time playing Wii Bowling. And hopefully with the Wii Motion Plus add-on there actually will be an element of skill involved this time. So, yeah, I could see this being a thing as long as it gets in enough people's hands.

And that's the issue, really. This isn't a system seller and it isn't included with the Wii U since it isn't a Gamepad-centric set of games. It requires the old Wii remotes which is not something that will ever be pushed as a core experience on the Wii U. So it could never have been the pack-in game. It would have been nice if it was also included with the Deluxe model (and available at launch). But it is what it is... I still think it could be very successful. I think the nostalgia factor alone will get some people (myself included) to pick up at least a game or two. Yeah, I am actually nostalgic for that initial first few months of the Wii when Wii Sports was awesome and we were showing it off to friends and neighbors (many of whom then tried to track down a Wii for Christmas that first year).

And yeah, flicker, MiiVerse seems pretty active - my son messes around with it nearly every day. He seems to enjoy it. He did have to make a second account since on his real account I put his actual birthdate and Nintendo wouldn't allow him to add friends because of his age (nor would they allow me to override that setting as his account custodian). I understand why they do this sort of thing (though not allowing me to override is ridiculous) but in the end it is useless because now he just has another account where he's 20 or something and can do what he wants. Sucks that his game saves are on the original profile - luckily he didn't have too much time into anything because of the lack of games though ;).

io: So here's another issue I see with it besides the fact that it won't be in every box and will thus have a smaller install base....the user base will be fractured.  Since it's not a bundle of games for $30 or whatever, not everyone will have every game.  That will result in less gamers playing any individual game.  Will this thing be active for a month or two and then die like most other online games or will some super small but highly active (pun not intended) core fan of each sport keep the tournaments going?  Even if true, that would get really intimidating really quick much like starting off on a multiplayer game that's been out a few years. 

edit:

After more consideration, I"m really interested to see people's reactions to the online community.  I imagine that there's already some REALLY good and REALLY big fans of Wii Sports that are going to start off kicking people's asses right away.  If Nintendo doesn't have a good matchmaking system that is going to suck and probably push most gamers out of the system...I look forward to your reactions to it after launch then again a month or two later to see how it's changed.

I'm not a big online gamer for anything, so I'm not sure how much I'll go online with it.  But I'll probably give it a shot.

I would imagine (we're already seeing evidence of it here) that many people will get Bowling and Tennis because they were probably the most popular games on Wii Sports and they are coming out first.  I could see the communities being decent for those - especially bowling.

For those interested in picking up accessories for the Wii U, I recommend this battery life extender attachment for the GamePad:

http://www.amazon.com/Uboost-Wii-U-Nintendo/dp/B009Q5XGO2/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1379570647&sr=1-2&keywords=nyko

It serves as a battery life extender (you push a button when your GamePad battery is running low and it will start charging it) and doubles as a kickstand to hold the GamePad upright on its own. It attaches to the back of the GamePad and charges simultaneously while on the cradle which is nice.
I can vouch for this. Gives one full Game Pad charge per Uboost charge, adds minimal weight with only one screw to attach, and can be recharged with the charging dock. The nice thing about this versus the Nyko internal battery (besides the fact that the internal one is a piece of shit and won't hold a charge due to shoddy construction) is that you can still use it if an official Nintendo expanded battery ever comes out. The only shitty things about it are that Game Pad protectors won't fit it out of the box and the advertised stand is flimsy/won't open without a ton of force (can't even get mine to open).

FYI the black model is only $10.97 clearance on GameStop's website. They had that price instore a month ago when I got mine but I haven't seen them since then...must've shipped them all back to sell on the website.

I was reading an article and then some comments under it about the Wii U's pricing in 2006 dollars.  That got me thinking and wondering about Wii U affordability compared to the Wii.  Here's what I came up with

$250 in 2006 = $290 in 2013

Median household income in 2012 is about $51,000 while the inflation adjusted median household income in 2006 was just under $55,000. 

So the Wii U is $10 more expensive in inflation adjusted dollars than the Wii was and the median household income has dropped by 7% during that time period.  In order to make the Wii U the same affordability for the average consumer, it would have to drop in price by $10 to match the buying power of 250 2006 dollars and then lower it another 9% ($20) to account for the fact that real earnings are down from 2006.

In order for the Wii U to have the same affordability in 2013 as the Wii did in 2006, the price would have to be about $270.

edit: Made adjustment to calculation.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/320036-game-console-affordability-compared-to-the-previous-generation/

Do any stores sell hori products? I thought target carried it, but didn't see any. ah well don't mind the wait with shipping.

I just saw this on amazon pictures notes.. I noticed this with my psvita hori that screen protectore didn't cover the whole screen my 3ds bottom screen has little bit it isn't covering.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B009NRO1J2/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_1?ie=UTF8&index=1

I don't mind it, but is it just my luck or is all hori's protector's like this?

Do any stores sell hori products? I thought target carried it, but didn't see any. ah well don't mind the wait with shipping.
Gamestop and (if you live near one) Fry's Electronics do as well.

EDIT: Er, Gamestop may be online only, but I thought I've seen them in-store before...

I've changed my DNS settings and what not and I still can not get netflix to run at all.

Other then that I'm loving my Wii U.

I'd go into the Settings menu and delete all of the Netflix save data (not the app itself).  My Hulu Plus got screwy a while back and that worked like a charm for me.

bread's done
Back