Wireless Gaming Adapter-B $20 Shipped.

Just got mine, have to get home to connect it in 2 hours. It's brand new in package and includes a ethernet cable and a power conenction. Here's a little help I found for when I do so (taken from an Amazon.com review of it):

"2. Assuming you do use WEP encryption, the easiest way to set this device up is to plug it directly into a PC. Yes, connect the box to your PC with an Ethernet cable. Forget the internet for a minute, just hook the two together. Make sure to set your PC to have a fixed ip in the 192.168.1.x range, set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. Then run the setup wizard on the CD that comes with this device. Enter your WEP key, enter your SSID, and your access point channel, and you're all set. These settings will be saved as "profile 1". Now, hit the button on the side of the gaming adapter until the display reads "P1". "

[quote name='bombboy']Just got mine, have to get home to connect it in 2 hours. It's brand new in package and includes a ethernet cable and a power conenction. Here's a little help I found for when I do so (taken from an Amazon.com review of it):

"2. Assuming you do use WEP encryption, the easiest way to set this device up is to plug it directly into a PC. Yes, connect the box to your PC with an Ethernet cable. Forget the internet for a minute, just hook the two together. Make sure to set your PC to have a fixed ip in the 192.168.1.x range, set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. Then run the setup wizard on the CD that comes with this device. Enter your WEP key, enter your SSID, and your access point channel, and you're all set. These settings will be saved as "profile 1". Now, hit the button on the side of the gaming adapter until the display reads "P1". "[/quote]

I didn't do that. I just plugged it right in to the 360 and did the setup on there... took 2 minutes to be up and running.

i have an A and G wireless connection...is there any way that i can still use this??? don't tell me i bought it for nothing...

[quote name='jedilips']I didn't do that. I just plugged it right in to the 360 and did the setup on there... took 2 minutes to be up and running.[/quote]

I should have done that. Was a bit of a hassle to get the computer to recognize it. It finally succeeded in pinging the unit and I changed all the settings and saved them on the profile thing, etc. Now it's working like a charm :)

[quote name='born2win413']i have an A and G wireless connection...is there any way that i can still use this??? don't tell me i bought it for nothing...[/QUOTE]

Any G router is backwards compatible with B.

This is a total newb question but I figured some of you guys might be able to answer it. I just hooked up my 360 online and am now downloading maps for GoW. Is there any way to play a game while downloading? I can't figure out which button(s) to press, if someone knows how I'd appreciate it.

I have a normal xbox and a mac. Will your methods still work? Sorry, just arrived today. BTW, what channel did you guys have it on? Does it have to be on P1?

Don't buy anything from this company, they suck!!!!!!! I got my adapter and after I got it on the 360 and it found my network I entered the wep key and it quit working, the channel would not change and nothing would pick up a signal from it, including my two laptops. So I called linksys and went round and round with their low level tech who knew nothing, so I eventually spoke to an upper level tech and we went through all of the trouble shooting and he concluded that it was faulty. So I notified Surpluscocks.com , they said I would have to pay shipping back to them, so I told them no way. One of their smartA** techs calls me and tells me they are not going to pay for shipping on a product that is not faulty but has problems due to user errors, this without even knowing what the problem is. He went on to say that the Linksys upper level guy knows nothing and that I should read the internet, etc... To make a long story short, I am disputing the charges with my CC company. BTW, Linksys does not want to honor warranties for products bought from these guys. So beware, even if it is cheap.

[quote name='Superfan']I have a normal xbox and a mac. Will your methods still work? Sorry, just arrived today. BTW, what channel did you guys have it on? Does it have to be on P1?[/QUOTE]

You can only use the configuration utility on a PC. There is no web interface, so if you're on a mac you're hosed if you want to use WEP or anything that requires specific configuration.

If your setup is totally vanilla, you might be ok.

You should put it on whatever channel your wireless router is on. Default is usually 6, but check what your router is using.

[quote name='dolfan']Don't buy anything from this company, they suck!!!!!!! I got my adapter and after I got it on the 360 and it found my network I entered the wep key and it quit working, the channel would not change and nothing would pick up a signal from it, including my two laptops. So I called linksys and went round and round with their low level tech who knew nothing, so I eventually spoke to an upper level tech and we went through all of the trouble shooting and he concluded that it was faulty. So I notified Surpluscocks.com , they said I would have to pay shipping back to them, so I told them no way. One of their smartA** techs calls me and tells me they are not going to pay for shipping on a product that is not faulty but has problems due to user errors, this without even knowing what the problem is. He went on to say that the Linksys upper level guy knows nothing and that I should read the internet, etc... To make a long story short, I am disputing the charges with my CC company. BTW, Linksys does not want to honor warranties for products bought from these guys. So beware, even if it is cheap.[/QUOTE]

But... but... CaseyRyback's friend said they were ok!

OK, sarcasm aside, maybe I can help. What brand is your router? What is the length of the WEP key you are using? I had this exact problem, and what I discovered is that 128-bit WEP keys may not work if your router is not a Linksys. I switched to a 64-bit WEP key and everything worked ok (my router is a D-Link DI-624).

[quote name='ma']But... but... CaseyRyback's friend said they were ok!

OK, sarcasm aside, maybe I can help. What brand is your router? What is the length of the WEP key you are using? I had this exact problem, and what I discovered is that 128-bit WEP keys may not work if your router is not a Linksys. I switched to a 64-bit WEP key and everything worked ok (my router is a D-Link DI-624).[/quote]
yep, I have a dlink DI-524 . But I have it setup to 64bit. If anyone can help, I would love to get it to work and not have to go through the hassles of fighting with these idiots.

Does anyone know if this will work if I don't have a router? Do I need to have a network setup in order for this to work? My DSL modem from Qwest is a wireless modem.....could I just connect to it directly using this adapter?

i thought u need a router to make it work too! but i have a wireless connection due to my dsl services, as long as you have a dsl service that has a wireless connection, and if its a G or B connection, you will be ok.

got mine today hella easy set up with my linksys wireless router took like 2 min to get it going. sorry if this doesnt work out for you.

I highly recommend against buying this thing. I'd rather have smoked my $20 than spend it on this non-functional piece of crap.

i disagree z-saber...this thing is great, it works perfectly with my 360 and i have no lag/problems wit it so far.

[quote name='dolfan']yep, I have a dlink DI-524 . But I have it setup to 64bit. If anyone can help, I would love to get it to work and not have to go through the hassles of fighting with these idiots.[/QUOTE]

Did you try not using WEP at all? If it doesn't work w/o WEP, then maybe it's broken.

Debugging these issues is always a major PITA, I feel for you.

[quote name='born2win413']i thought u need a router to make it work too! but i have a wireless connection due to my dsl services, as long as you have a dsl service that has a wireless connection, and if its a G or B connection, you will be ok.[/QUOTE]

Dude, if you have DSL and you have wireless, then you have a router. It might be built into your modem, but you have one.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I highly recommend against buying this thing. I'd rather have smoked my $20 than spend it on this non-functional piece of crap.[/QUOTE]

Please, do tell more.

I have one of these adapters for 4 months now and it works great. I can't live without it.

[quote name='reallynotnick']Please, do tell more.

I have one of these adapters for 4 months now and it works great. I can't live without it.[/quote]I couldn't get it to work on any device (PC or 360) with any router/access point (a Fonera wireless router and a Belking access point) with or without security. I really wish it would have worked since I really needed it, but for now, I have to settle with the slower PlayLink thingies.

Deals still going on, so I bit. I was worried about the ratings, but with people on here getting theres, I ordered one.

THANKS OP!

bread's done
Back