XBL DotW Sales 2012 |- CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='dark_inchworm']Uh, holy shit. Makes me wish I hadn't been so quick to spend.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I thought I read somewhere that the RB sale was good for a week so I snatched up and spent around 8000 MSP between that and the last couple DOTWs. With the cash back I feel like a sucker. Oh well. Even with 2% back it's not a huge loss. My birthday is in December so at least I'll get the award. And I'm waiting to buy those DC tracks then.

so does anyone know where a list of compatible items for the october rewards could be?

New Walking Dead this month should count, im sure there will be halloween/horror/stupidoctober stuff themed DoW

Ya think Skull Girls or renting Dark Shadows on Zune would count towards it :p

Some examples they gave were Walking Dead, Resident Evil, Left 4 Dead (1 & 2), and any horror films/shows on the Zune marketplace. I would assume other examples would be Haunt, Deadlight, Alex Wake, Dead Space, Bioshock, I Am Alive, Amy (though I heard horrible reviews for that game), & any Dead Rising game.

I don't know if they'll have a list up, but if you go to the support forums & ask, they should be able to tell you if you're not sure about a certain game.

[quote name='MRGx']on the official Rock Band forums when the sales started, they noted the sales would last for "a few months". people who rushed into it made me pretty surprised, could have saved money for other deals. pretty cool of them to have it go for so long though[/QUOTE]

This is all I ever saw and at second glance, it doesn't explicitly state an end date at all. But "this week, we're launching a sale!" translated to "HURRY UP AND BUY SONGS THIS WEEK, FOOL" in my mind.

[quote name='Zonic505']
I don't know if they'll have a list up, but if you go to the support forums & ask, they should be able to tell you if you're not sure about a certain game.[/QUOTE]

This is their new strategy (or, anti-strategy) for months with "themed" purchases, I keep pissing & moaning about this over at the Rewards Thread like a whiner--I wrote to their twitter with equal results, but expect all forthcoming "eligible content" lists to be non-existent unless they take a drastic 180 on the issue.

Yeah, it's rather annoying having to ask them if something qualifies than just having a full list to look at. Hopefully, someone will make a list.

exactly... im gonna post a list of all things i am thinking about picking up this month (walking dead episodes 2 3 and 4 are gonna be 1200 for me already, so i figure I might as well meet this requirement).

Dark Shadows on Zune being one
maybe the dishwasher games
DLC for Castlevania ... the multiplayer 2d one I havnt played since launch (is there still a community there? SotN is like top 5...)
I have heard good things about the Decay series on the XBLIG Marketplace

if anyone wants to add to this i will gladly submit one giant post to their forums for confirmation.

seriously, i have nothing to do but watch tv today and plot my October out.

You just KNOW there has to be some themed items going on sale as well...

[quote name='Juice el Savior']exactly... im gonna post a list of all things i am thinking about picking up this month (walking dead episodes 2 3 and 4 are gonna be 1200 for me already, so i figure I might as well meet this requirement).

Dark Shadows on Zune being one
maybe the dishwasher games
DLC for Castlevania ... the multiplayer 2d one I havnt played since launch (is there still a community there? SotN is like top 5...)
I have heard good things about the Decay series on the XBLIG Marketplace

if anyone wants to add to this i will gladly submit one giant post to their forums for confirmation.

seriously, i have nothing to do but watch tv today and plot my October out.

You just KNOW there has to be some themed items going on sale as well...[/QUOTE]

I'm curious about Dead Space Ignition (Extraction? Whichever is the puzzle one we have on XBLA) , Dead Space DLC, Dead Space 2 DLC, and FEAR 2 DLC if you want to toss them in the list.

can any Rock Band gamers give me a primer on buying used Rock Band games? is the used version gimped in any significant way?

[quote name='CAiNiACprime']I'm curious about Dead Space Ignition (Extraction? Whichever is the puzzle one we have on XBLA) , Dead Space DLC, Dead Space 2 DLC, and FEAR 2 DLC if you want to toss them in the list.[/QUOTE]

I sure will fellow CAGer

i dont know if anyone wants to jump on this or not... Just list or PM the items youre wondering about and ill take care of the rest and repost the answer (hopefully answer log) here and in the rewards thread.

Im sure all of those are on the list, but i want a clear list. I know im spending 1200 on episodes 2, 3, and 4... also, Dark Shadows should count, but if not, im still gonna hit my mark some how.

I know alot of people had problems with the sports thingie last month. I seriously turned on my box on a saturday, and left it on for about 12 hours as dad and I flipped back and forth between other football games. The points showed pending for me before September 10th, but I didnt get them until a few days ago.

With BingRewards going at full steam for me now (im not lazy anymore, all 5 accounts going and 3 of them are 30 pts a day accounts.) I think im gonna make love to XBRewards alot more now...

[quote name='dirtyvu']can any Rock Band gamers give me a primer on buying used Rock Band games? is the used version gimped in any significant way?[/QUOTE]

The games come with a single use code to import songs into the next edition. So the code might have been previously used. But other than that, the games play fine if used.

[quote name='DarkZion']The games come with a single use code to import songs into the next edition. So the code might have been previously used. But other than that, the games play fine if used.[/QUOTE]

You can export RB1 songs without a code. Just pay 400 MS points.

[quote name='Juice el Savior']I sure will fellow CAGer[/QUOTE]

Thanks buddy. Throw Alan Wake DLC on there too, just realized I'm still missing one.

Also I'm not sure about the state of Castlevania HoD's community nowadays, but I'm up for it now and then if you need some coop partners.

[quote name='Y2JerichoHALic55']When was this compilation announced? What's the release date?

LOVE the old midway arcade games![/QUOTE]
Amazon has a release date of Nov. 13th.

[quote name='DarkZion']The games come with a single use code to import songs into the next edition. So the code might have been previously used. But other than that, the games play fine if used.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the replies, darkzion and plowk1ing!

oh, you guys brought up another question I had. If I pay to export RB1 into RB2. and then I get RB3. Do I have to pay again to import the songs into RB3? Or paying once is enough?

And another question I have is, once I have finished the importing, are the songs available bidirectionally? Meaning I can play any of my RB songs with any of the RB discs?

And if the code has been used, did Harmonix give an alternative?

I'm looking at the http://www.rockband.com/support/export-rock-band page and it's confusing to me. I'm sure all of you guys that grew up on Rock Band get it easily. But from someone who's kind of just starting, it's a bit overwhelming.

Right now, I don't plan on getting RB3 and plan on RB2 for being the homebase.

[quote name='dirtyvu']can any Rock Band gamers give me a primer on buying used Rock Band games? is the used version gimped in any significant way?[/QUOTE]
Rock Band 3 is the only game in the series that utilizes the keboard as an additional instrument. All of the titles allow for vocals, guitar/bass, and drums. RB1 does not feature the cymbal hardware add-ons, multiple vocal tracks, or "strumless tap" guitar sections either. RB1 drums and nontouchpad guitar controllers work fine with all games however.

RB1 track importing is by far the best bang for your buck as it exports all but a few songs from RB1 to your hard drive to be played in RB2 or RB3. You can export the songs with any used disc (and paying the export fee). RB2, Greenday: RB, and Lego: RB, can also be imported but the code that ships with new games is one use only, Beatles: RB tracks do not transfer.

DLC tracks released since RB3 was released only play in RB3; RB games are backwards compatible with DLC, not future compatible. The menu/interface system and appearance improves a great deal from RB1 to RB2, it also improves from RB2 to RB3. If you wish to play keyboards and/or currently releasing DLC RB3 is your only option.

If you don't care about either of those two things and want to be more frugal, I would suggest playing from RB2 and not RB1 as the importing of its tracks into 2 is so easy/cheap. Simply buy a used disc at Gamestop for $2-$3 and export the songs for 400 MSP to your hard drive then return it within a week for full credit, (RB2 used is only $5-$6).

EDIT: Saw your new question, if you export RB1 songs to play in RB2 to your hard drive all but 2 tracks will play in RB3 if you upgrade to that down the road. If I remember correctly, you don't have to pay the RB1 export fee twice.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Juice el Savior']I sure will fellow CAGer

i dont know if anyone wants to jump on this or not... Just list or PM the items youre wondering about and ill take care of the rest and repost the answer (hopefully answer log) here and in the rewards thread.

Im sure all of those are on the list, but i want a clear list. I know im spending 1200 on episodes 2, 3, and 4... also, Dark Shadows should count, but if not, im still gonna hit my mark some how.

I know alot of people had problems with the sports thingie last month. I seriously turned on my box on a saturday, and left it on for about 12 hours as dad and I flipped back and forth between other football games. The points showed pending for me before September 10th, but I didnt get them until a few days ago.

With BingRewards going at full steam for me now (im not lazy anymore, all 5 accounts going and 3 of them are 30 pts a day accounts.) I think im gonna make love to XBRewards alot more now...[/QUOTE]

I'll pm you as well, but perhaps check on Resident Evil 4 (and although I already have it, Code Veronica would be good for the others). I'd like to think it's a given, but you never know.

[quote name='PlowK1NG']I've got a noob question here. If I buy DLC like RB or DC tracks with alternate account, can I use them with my main GT?[/QUOTE]
Only if you're playing on the same console where the alternate account downloaded it from. Otherwise they'll have to be signed onto Live as the same console you're playing or do a license transfer.

[quote name='chuckie88']Rock Band 3 is the only game in the series that utilizes the keboard as an additional instrument. All of the titles allow for vocals, guitar/bass, and drums. RB1 does not feature the cymbal hardware add-ons, multiple vocal tracks, or "strumless tap" guitar sections either. RB1 drums and nontouchpad guitar controllers work fine with all games however.

RB1 track importing is by far the best bang for your buck as it exports all but a few songs from RB1 to your hard drive to be played in RB2 or RB3. You can export the songs with any used disc (and paying the export fee). RB2, Greenday: RB, and Lego: RB, can also be imported but the code that ships with new games is one use only, Beatles: RB tracks do not transfer.

DLC tracks released since RB3 was released only play in RB3; RB games are backwards compatible with DLC, not future compatible. The menu/interface system and appearance improves a great deal from RB1 to RB2, it also improves from RB2 to RB3. If you wish to play keyboards and/or currently releasing DLC RB3 is your only option.

If you don't care about either of those two things and want to be more frugal, I would suggest playing from RB2 and not RB1 as the importing of its tracks into 2 is so easy/cheap. Simply buy a used disc at Gamestop for $2-$3 and export the songs for 400 MSP to your hard drive then return it within a week for full credit, (RB2 used is only $5-$6).

EDIT: Saw your new question, if you export RB1 songs to play in RB2 to your hard drive all but 2 tracks will play in RB3 if you upgrade to that down the road. If I remember correctly, you don't have to pay the RB1 export fee twice.[/QUOTE]

thanks, chuckie88!!! this post is full of awesome. it's like you thought of everything I could ask. :D

[quote name='Y2JerichoHALic55']When was this compilation announced? What's the release date?

LOVE the old midway arcade games![/QUOTE]

Here's my article on the collection's announcement, complete with a comparison to the original Xbox/PS2/GC collection.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']This is all I ever saw and at second glance, it doesn't explicitly state an end date at all. But "this week, we're launching a sale!" translated to "HURRY UP AND BUY SONGS THIS WEEK, FOOL" in my mind.[/QUOTE]

My mind jumped to the same conclusion. Doh!

What are these October rewards everyone is talking about or is it purely speculation?

EDIT: Rewards details: http://rewards.xbox.com/faq/#fmi

During the month of October,spend 2,000 Microsoft Points or more on eligible horror themed XboxLIVE Marketplace items and get 300 Microsoft Points back. Purchase(s) must occur between October 1,2012 and October 31,2012.

I probably won't qualify for that since I refuse to pay so much for video content and probably own all the stuff that I'm already interested in.

Is it bad that I willingly look forward to giving MS money every week through the DOTW?

[quote name='eastx']Here's my article on the collection's announcement, complete with a comparison to the original Xbox/PS2/GC collection.[/QUOTE]

nice article. i didnt realize those few games were gone because midway went under. but from that huge list of games, i dont recall too many, i think i missed them by a few years, was breed from the NES and was a too young when these were in arcades (aside from joust and smash TV).

[quote name='bajingo']nice article. i didnt realize those few games were gone because midway went under. but from that huge list of games, i dont recall too many, i think i missed them by a few years, was breed from the NES and was a too young when these were in arcades (aside from joust and smash TV).[/QUOTE]

I haven't played a lot of them either. But Total Carnage is the sequel to Smash TV, and Arch Rivals is the predecessor to NBA Jam, so they're certainly of interest. Collections like this are a good way to learn more about gaming history while grabbing some Achievements in the bargain.

it's kind of sad that people think of many of those games as Midway games when they were Atari Games (the arcade division of Atari) games.

Arch Rivals was fun. very loose controls and simplistic compared to NBA Jam (which was revolutionary), but fun nonetheless.

Total Carnage was a spiritual descendant rather than a true sequel to Smash TV as they had no storyline in common.

how does Xybots work on a console? The arcade had you twist the joystick to rotate. Of course, you can't twist any modern controller's stick. I actually should remember as I did play Xybots on an Atari Lynx but it's been forever since I played a Lynx.

Another week of deals I was happy with gone by. I was happy to pick up the last set of Pinball FX2 tables I did not own yet at a discount price along with an individual table. The only Pinball FX2 tables I desire now at a discount are the tables sold individually (minus Paranormal, Captain America, Nightmare Mansion, and Mars). I hope those get offered on Deal of the Week or some other discount sometime in the near future. I even decided to throw 200MSP at the costume pack for Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (already had the characters from the SE), even though the content is in the value pack for Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3.

I chose to keep the two Final Fantasy 13 games on the same platform, so I ended out paying more on the FF13-2 DLC sale on the other platform than the sale prices on the 360 (since I tend to get MSP for a better ratio than $1USD:80MSP, while the other platform I rarely find the cards at less than their worth). So the Final Fantasy XIII-2 sale on all the DLC may be doubly sweet for you guys. I just do not know anymore if it is ever worth it for me to wait up on a complete edition which includes DLC as I now have regrets knowing there's a Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package and a Mass Effect Trilogy due out soonish. It would probably be worth it for me to wait on SR3:TFP to go on sale since all the remaining DLC I've not bought will still be more expensive to get on the marketplace. At least I am happy with the value I've already gotten from being an early adopter of Saints Row: The Third, but it stings a bit that I may double dip on the 360 just so I can avoid the large amount of Microsoft Points for the minor DLC. As for the Mass Effect Trilogy pack, which will still not include the DLC I waited on in complete editions, I've still not purchased 2-3 (I borrowed friend's editions), so that Trilogy collection would be worth it for me but now I have to hope the ME2 and ME3 DLC gets on some sale again on the dashboard.

[quote name='Zonic505']I just checked the FAQ on Xbox Rewards & YOUR CURRENT GAMERSCORE DOES INDEED COUNT. No having to restart from 0G and reworking your way up.

While checking the FAQ, I noticed that for Election 2012, if you watch 3 out of the 4 presidential and/or vice presidential debates on Election 2012 on Xbox LIVE for 30 minutes or more, you'lll receive a Halo 4 Warrior Armor for your avatar. The 4 dates are 10/3, 10/11, 10/16, and 10/22 from 9-10:30pm ET (6-7:30pm PT).

Checking AGAIN, I found the offer for Oct. Spend 2,000 MSP on horror themed marketplace items (themes, DLC, games, avatar items, movies & shows on Zune, etc.), get 300 MSP back.[/QUOTE]

Great find! I do not earn achievements at a fast clip like others, so I am glad the highest tier for 2% back is low enough to include me. It is great news for including my old achievements, because I have been trying to "make my very first Xbox LIVE Marketplace purchase and pick up 100 Microsoft Points" every time I purchase something ^^. [I know, my very first was before the rewards program began, so I'll never qualify for that.] Between PlayXBLA and the Xbox/Bing Rewards, at least this new achievement reward shows some sort of care for those who play games on their Xbox 360.

I hope my recent Deal of the Week purchases qualify for the 2% back, but my Gold membership may lapse in a week. The last time my gold membership was about to end, the dashboard offered me deals to renew between: bonus 400MSP (separate from the rewards 200MSP), $1 for 1 month, or $2 for 2 months. So I am considering letting my membership lapse for these better offers, and seeing how much the dashboard squirms for a renewal. I have a 12 month card at the ready, but I probably want to hold off for a Deal of the Week that involves me. However if I do choose to let my membership go I'd probably not qualify for the 2%, since I would not have "maintained an eligible Xbox LIVE Gold membership" for the month. So I have a decision to make, because I could miss out on a free avatar gear, dependent on when I choose to input the code.

The only horror themed marketplace item I can think of right now is this upcoming Deal of the Week. It was a dark and somewhat cool night. The hours are ticking away getting close to the early hours of Tuesday. We are there, not knowing what it could be around the corner. Major Nelson did not say anything, has not said anything. WAIT! What was that sound? It could be the Plants Vs. Zombies table, but the dooooooom could be awaiting us and we see the Borderlands (1) DLC for sale again. OH NO! There is nothing more horror themed than that for this night. OooOOooOoOooOoo

Ugh, don't have the avengers pinball pack or the captain america table but I have all the other Marvel ones and haven't really went through them yet so I'll probably wait to get these until they go on sale again, I enjoy pinball but I don't really play the tables all that much.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Just a friendly reminder that the Xbox Rewards thread exists.[/QUOTE]
And just like last time, I'm actually crazy enough to volunteer to maintain the game list. Setting up the Rewards wiki right now to track titles. Let the games begin! :D

[quote name='dirtyvu']how does Xybots work on a console? The arcade had you twist the joystick to rotate. Of course, you can't twist any modern controller's stick. I actually should remember as I did play Xybots on an Atari Lynx but it's been forever since I played a Lynx.[/QUOTE]

I had it for Lynx too. In fact I still have it in my basement somewhere. :) I don't remember how they translated it, but as I recall it worked pretty well, so I think it should work well here too. Hopefully so, anyway.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Dungeon Defenders "loser deal" is tempting, but the purchase history BS leaves me hesitant.[/QUOTE]

I bought Bomberman Battlefest and it is in my purchase history...you should be good (marketplace also recognizes I bought the game)

October is looking to take my Microsoft Points. If they are released at 800MSP, I will look to purchase both on release this Friday's NiGHTS: Into Dreams and Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R at the end of the month. [That is a ridiculously long name for a game considering Japanese developed games never pronounce X as "eks," it is usually something like "cross" as in X-Edge Dash or Street Fighter X Tekken, but in the case of Guilty Gear X it was pronounced "zechs" so I wonder what XX is supposed to be pronounced as -_-.] I hope there are great Deal of the Week offers soon to convince me to input my 12-month code to renew and add to the backlog ^^.

[quote name='Juice el Savior']i dont know if anyone wants to jump on this or not... Just list or PM the items youre wondering about and ill take care of the rest and repost the answer (hopefully answer log) here and in the rewards thread.[/QUOTE]

I look forward to a listing of eligible XBLA games and downloadable content add-ons for the rewards offer. To coincide with the rewards offer, I am seriously hoping for a Deal of the Week or side sale to offer the last Left 4 Dead 2 DLC, Cold Stream, at a discount along with the Castlevania: Harmony of Despair additional characters and music packs (the stages has been on sale before). I may even consider the F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin addon, Dead Rising 2 ninja and sports pack (the two which had not seen a discount), Plants vs. Zombies table for Pinball FX2 if they qualify for the offer as well. The more I know what qualifies, the more likely I am to spend.

[quote name='MoCiWe']Ugh, don't have the avengers pinball pack or the captain america table but I have all the other Marvel ones and haven't really went through them yet so I'll probably wait to get these until they go on sale again, I enjoy pinball but I don't really play the tables all that much.[/QUOTE]

I bought the tables because I remember a time when the Pinball FX2 tables were rarely on sale. My desire for them was high but the prices were also high, so I waited for what seemed like over a year. So when any pack or individual table was offered, I chose to be opportunistic and get them while they are on discount. The packs seem to get more discounts than the individual tables from what I've noticed. Even though I get hung up on tables, like how I recently struggled to get a Green Goblin pumpkin bomb to detonate on Doc Ock's robotic arm (it was tricky for me, but everyone else seems to get it on accident), which means I don't get to the tables I've recently purchased, I still like to know the other tables are there waiting for me. I do intend on getting to all the tables, so it is not a waste when I do have the funds to get tables when they are on discount.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Just a friendly reminder that the Xbox Rewards thread exists.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for reminding me... i dont know how to link to my post in that thread, but the whole list that i submitted for questioning is there. If anyone wants me to add anything else or can think of some things i missed please let me know.

when i get confirmation i will separate all of the DLC, Games, Movies, and Avatar Items. Im not good at html at all though so thats as far as i can go as for be helping :roll:

[quote name='Juice el Savior']Thank you for reminding me... i dont know how to link to my post in that thread, but the whole list that i submitted for questioning is there. If anyone wants me to add anything else or can think of some things i missed please let me know.

when i get confirmation i will separate all of the DLC, Games, Movies, and Avatar Items. Im not good at html at all though so thats as far as i can go as for be helping :roll:[/QUOTE]

To link to a single comment/post, just click on the post # in the top right corner of your post, and that will take you to your post's individual URL.

Just FYI if you were curious.

I wouldnt hold your breath for cold stream sale. the sacrifice still hasnt gotten a sale, and that was released 2 years ago not 1 month ago.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']anyone know what the new DOTW will be?[/QUOTE]
Yes.

But I'm not telling you because it's so awesome and I want them all to myself.
It's Risk Factions.

[quote name='tylerh1701']To link to a single comment/post, just click on the post # in the top right corner of your post, and that will take you to your post's individual URL.

Just FYI if you were curious.[/QUOTE]

ty

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']anyone know what the new DOTW will be?[/QUOTE]

Haha I almost forgot it was Monday because I've been so busy at work, and had to run over to Best Buy to grab ME3 at lunch.

Ugh, I just watched my MSP go from 2800 down to 240.. yikes. Ended up buying Crysis, the Costume Pack, the Capt. America table, the Lightning Requiem DLC, the Snow DLC, the Sazh DLC, all the on-sale Opponents, the Ezio outfit for Noel, and Mog's set of outfits. It's a shame none of these items are "horror-themed".

Was gonna save the remaining 240 for Blacklight but was torn between that and an outfit for Serah (if you MUST know, it was the swimsuit one that everyone was raving about, lol. I admit the idea of fighting in a bikini is rather funny but maybe that's just a cover for my inner sleaze cause the N7 armor for both characters looks pretty damn cool) until I remembered I hadn't touched my Bing Reward account in months and holy shit did they give it an overhaul. Got about 100 Rewards points, ordered my points and they actually sent immediately. They really stepped it up!

So picking up the Swimsuit outfit and Blacklight tonight, and praying to God that they actually fixed my power while I was out today and that this next DotW is a bust so I can save my money (to be directly handed over to Best Buy for Lolli Chainsaw and Prototype 2's CE).

Also, don't worry. Microsoft will not be able to resist a Halloween-themed sale this year. Just hold out 'till then, and if it doesn't happen, you can get the stuff for the regular price, no harm done. Pretty happy about this month's promo though in addition to the achievements rewards scheme (I'm only the middle level surprisingly..), cause I know it'll stack during the end-month sale.

Fingers crossed that I can do some OP editing early tomorrow morning.

Also, for those that added me in PFX2, I plan on playing Capt. America tonight so expect a little bump in your Superscore. Please and thank you!

Edit: I think it's hilarious how the Beachwear DLC has at least double or triple the amount of ratings as any other piece of FFXIII-2 content, even the Lightning Story DLC, and it has the highest score to boot.

I also wouldn't necessarily mind a repeat of the Halloween-themed sale last year, would pick up Castlevania: HoD in a heartbeat since I already have SotN. Maybe if they put the DLC for HoD on sale already, we'd all be going crazy.

The thing about Halloween sales is that almost everything that could possibly go on sale has already been on sale because they do at least 2 zombie/monster themed DotWs every year. The only thing I can think of that hasn't been on sale yet is RE4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back