XBLA - Magic: The Gathering - 800pts

I am going to be completely lazy here and not read the previous 13 pages of hands on reviews and asked is this worth picking up for a former Magic fan?

[quote name='foxdvd']I am going to be completely lazy here and not read the previous 13 pages of hands on reviews and asked is this worth picking up for a former Magic fan?[/QUOTE]
Try the demo.

Even knowing the limitations (no deck builder), based on the interface alone and I haven't played since right after The Dark was released, I decided to buy it.

[quote name='Trakan']What?[/QUOTE]

I was only going to play the campaign once with each deck till someone told me if you play the campaign again you get more cards for that deck. Sure as shit I went back to the first deck and got another card for the red deck. I never gave it a thought so I'm just wondering the number of cards to be unlocked for each deck now.

[quote name='jwbrown77']Wow, the red deck is really, really awful.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it is to bad. It is the only one that I have been able to win all the way to 15 in the campaign with. Might be because I'm used to playing it.

[quote name='sendme']I was only going to play the campaign once with each deck till someone told me if you play the campaign again you get more cards for that deck. Sure as shit I went back to the first deck and got another card for the red deck. I never gave it a thought so I'm just wondering the number of cards to be unlocked for each deck now.

I don't think it is to bad. It is the only one that I have been able to win all the way to 15 in the campaign with. Might be because I'm used to playing it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you get 15-17 cards depending on the deck. It says how many you've unlocked when you go to edit the deck.

I finally started playing this yesterday and I am loving it. It's annoying when a CPU deck is really stacked against you and you can't do anything about it other than quit and give the starting hand another reshuffle or two, but the core gameplay never stops being fun. Co-op is rad too.

[quote name='Trakan']Yeah, you get 15-17 cards depending on the deck. It says how many you've unlocked when you go to edit the deck.[/QUOTE]

Have you went through the game again with the same deck? I know it says x/17 and I have got all the way to the last deck with my red deck so I still would have 2 more to get. After someone from work told me that you can get cards from the other decks more then once I tried it. I got another card from the first deck. So now I'm at I think 16/17 cards. So I should be only able to unlock one more. I'm not able to check and see at this time but when I get the chance I will and see if after I get that 17th card if I can get another.

[quote name='sendme']I don't think it is to bad. It is the only one that I have been able to win all the way to 15 in the campaign with. Might be because I'm used to playing it.[/QUOTE]
I just couldn't beat green with it. I'd have 11 mountains on the field and no burn cards to make use of them. Frustrating.

Then again, I always hated goblin decks.

It all depends on the draws. I had some games where all I was drawing were mountains and it was over by the time I got anything else. Other games where I never drew a single mountain.

I was messing around with the white deck against the first green deck AI. I had 103 HP before I won. I was trying to see if I could get him to run out of cards.

[quote name='sendme']It all depends on the draws. I had some games where all I was drawing were mountains and it was over by the time I got anything else. Other games where I never drew a single mountain.[/QUOTE]

It often reminds me of Puzzle Quest when you're not entirely allowed to win a few times.

I think that is how it is set up. At times I play somthing and they end up having the perfect counter. I'm also really starting to hate that last deck. I now have 17/17 in the red deck so I guess I'm going to start another deck to get all cards in it then try to beat that stupid deck. From what I keep reading it is the blue deck that it good against it but every time I play against the computer with it I still can't do anything.

Have had the game lock trying to load the co-op campaign 1 out of every 3 times.

Anyone know where I can find a suggestion box for the developers?

On another note, I don't like how logging in a guest account for a friend in co-op only allows them to use the locked green or red deck.

It's locked up for me during a match twice, and when loading a campaign match once.

Paddlefoot if you want your friend to be able to play with a unique deck, just create a new silver account for him. That should allow him to create his own save file and make progress in the single-player campaign to unlock new decks.

It sucks that the decks are all fixed with very little in terms to customizing them. Still a decent game but I probably would not have gotten it had I known they would dumb it down for the console version.

[quote name='dopa345']It sucks that the decks are all fixed with very little in terms to customizing them. Still a decent game but I probably would not have gotten it had I known they would dumb it down for the console version.[/QUOTE]

Me personally, I was playing this game several hours everyday, the minute everything was 100% unlocked, I turned the game off and haven't touched it since. Will probably go back for the 10 ranked game and two-headed giant achievement. It has become way too repetitive.

Is the game worth getting if you don't have Live?

I did enjoy the demo, for what that's worth, and I do have a history of putting more time into games like this than I should (especially the Pokemon GBC game).

The problem: I've got Gold right now, but only until the beginning of August. I'm going to have to cancel then because I don't have the money to pay for it right now. I'm interested in the game, but I'm not sure if getting it without multiplayer is the best idea. How long before I get through all of the challenges and get bored with the single player?

One alternative would be picking up something for the DS (maybe the Marvel card game) for cheap in the B2G1 sale. :whistle2:k

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Is the game worth getting if you don't have Live?

I did enjoy the demo, for what that's worth, and I do have a history of putting more time into games like this than I should (especially the Pokemon GBC game).

The problem: I've got Gold right now, but only until the beginning of August. I'm going to have to cancel then because I don't have the money to pay for it right now. I'm interested in the game, but I'm not sure if getting it without multiplayer is the best idea. How long before I get through all of the challenges and get bored with the single player?

One alternative would be picking up something for the DS (maybe the Marvel card game) for cheap in the B2G1 sale. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

IMO, the single player is better than the multiplayer. You need to unlock cards and decks by playing single player. It's fun getting more powerful cards for each deck. The multiplayer game offers nothing other than achievement points (and bragging righs). You play one of 10 decks over and over again. They may have differences depending on the player. But because you can only add unlocks from a list of 15 predetermine deck specific cards (you can't take any originals out), the variations are almost unnoticeable in 95% of matches. It gets boring playing against the Black/Green elf deck 10 times in a row.

Every game goes like this (I play Mono Black, R/G/B, or R/G/W)

1. Identify deck I am playing against. (I'll assume Black/Green because it appears to be most often used deck)
2. Save Terrors, Incinerates, and Shocks for Elvish Champion
3. Trade creatures early
4. Gain control of game and win

I've never once touched a Magic game nor do I know anything about it. Knowing that...

1) I see posts telling me this is dumbed down, I assume that would be good for me, right?
2) Is there a good tutorial that explains the game to me or is it assumed that you know the game a little already?

[quote name='ZForce915']I've never once touched a Magic game nor do I know anything about it. Knowing that...

1) I see posts telling me this is dumbed down, I assume that would be good for me, right?
2) Is there a good tutorial that explains the game to me or is it assumed that you know the game a little already?[/QUOTE]

Just to add to eastx, the tutorial and initial gameplay instruction is excellent.

The tutorial takes you through the basics of playing creatures and various spells.

Then the game itself will show a hint everytime a card introduces a new mechanic into the match. It also gives you the option of whether you want that hint to appear again.

I've enjoyed the Single Player with the AI giving you quite a run for your money however I do get pissed when I draw 10 land cards in a row, wtf lol.

i cant win online because everyone quits when i give the final blow. If anyone wants someone to play with or vs in xbox live my gt is Calmlikea13omb. Message anytime.

[quote name='James1221']i cant win online because everyone quits when i give the final blow. If anyone wants someone to play with or vs in xbox live my gt is Calmlikea13omb. Message anytime.[/QUOTE]

You still get credited with a win.

Though, there should be a way to concede the match.

Recently the game has been shutting down on me at the loading screen for multiplayer matches. I have no idea and it's really annoying. I read somewhere that deleting and re-downloading will free up any freeze issues, but I have it 100% completed and don't want to lose my progress. Anyone know if you delete and re-download you keep everything you've unlocked?

Got the demo, and I could safely say that this might be my next purchase on the marketplace. Being an old veteran of the CCG, I like the simplicity and the non-money sink that is this game.

Sucks hearing the lack of robust deck customization, the blandness of Live games, and the hand-holding of the game tends to be nuts, but it's a fine port (better than MTG:O, imho, atleast I'm not sinking half a paycheck on imaginary cards).

Oh, what's up with the hard-rock music? Trying to make MT:G edgy or something? For fuck's sake, did anybody in the PR department remember what happened with that ad-campaign a few years back? I don't care how much testosterone you could pump into the game, CCG are still pretty dorky in mainstream culture.

My only problem with the online game is the fucktards who keep quitting mid-game, or before the game even starts. I've had a few four player matches become two player matches before the first cards are dealt.

That said, I still enjoyed the single player. I've been curious about MtG for a while, and this was a good, cheap way to learn how to play. I'm not sure if it'll ever become a full-blown addiction, but I like what I've played so far. :)

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']My only problem with the online game is the fucktards who keep quitting mid-game, or before the game even starts. I've had a few four player matches become two player matches before the first cards are dealt.

That said, I still enjoyed the single player. I've been curious about MtG for a while, and this was a good, cheap way to learn how to play. I'm not sure if it'll ever become a full-blown addiction, but I like what I've played so far. :)[/QUOTE]

4 player matches are bugged. I don't know why it happens, but the game can't handle 4 player matches, and during the loading screens the game will freeze. Those people may not have quit. Even if people do quit, you still get the win.

[quote name='Trakan']4 player matches are bugged. I don't know why it happens, but the game can't handle 4 player matches, and during the loading screens the game will freeze. Those people may not have quit. Even if people do quit, you still get the win.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's been my prob. Odd thing is, I was pwning the 4 player matches earlier, it's like the game up and decided I can only play duels now.

[quote name='jd_james_427']Recently the game has been shutting down on me at the loading screen for multiplayer matches. I have no idea and it's really annoying. I read somewhere that deleting and re-downloading will free up any freeze issues, but I have it 100% completed and don't want to lose my progress. Anyone know if you delete and re-download you keep everything you've unlocked?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Trakan']Deleting the game and re-downloading doesn't make you lose your progress. I just did it.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't do shit. Game still freezes on four player matches.

It's good that it saves your progress, bad that it doesn't help the freezing problem. Thanks for being the guinea pig on that one Trakan.

I have a theory on why it's been freezing out 4 player games. The game just started freezing on me before 4 player games after I downloaded and began using the table DLC. Come to think of it, I haven't been able to play a 4 player game with the new tables. Maybe when they added the table DLC, they didn't have the right programing to have four different tables on four different screens at the same time. Of course, this only applies to my experience, not sure if anyone else was being frozen out without the DLC.

[quote name='jd_james_427']I went back to the default white table and played a 4 player game with zero freeze issues. Maybe that's the key.[/QUOTE]

It's not. I freeze all the time and so do my friends and we all use the white table.

[quote name='zewone']It's not. I freeze all the time and so do my friends and we all use the white table.[/QUOTE]
All but one :cool:

I used the Black table until the DLC hit, now I use Red.

im torn. People really like this game? I am glad its not a money suck game but at the same time the deck customization seems limiting. REALLY SUCKS. The whole point of a magic game is to have various decks etc.

[quote name='msuna']im torn. People really like this game? I am glad its not a money suck game but at the same time the deck customization seems limiting. REALLY SUCKS. The whole point of a magic game is to have various decks etc.[/QUOTE]

Well think of it this way, its a great fantasy setting card game. There's always Magic the Gathering Online if you want customization. I've had a blast with this game and it was well worth the purchase imo.

This is probably the best value for money I've ever got from an arcade game. I've put in like a hundred hours in this game. I'd rather play this than any recent retail releases.

[quote name='zewone']This is probably the best value for money I've ever got from an arcade game. I've put in like a hundred hours in this game. I'd rather play this than any recent retail releases.[/QUOTE]
+1

The only times I ever really stop playing or lose interest in the game are when the game locks up for me. If all the bugs were worked out, I'd probably put 3-5 hours into the game daily.

Had to post this.

Here was my line up
http://img107.imageshack.us/i/51675017.jpg/

there was the aftermath
http://img229.imageshack.us/i/73530396.jpg/

damn it was fun. After each card hit 30 damage, the computer didn't even lay any cards down, he just kept drawing and discarding.

Also, some bugs I found were that if the computer has mana to play on a regenerating creature like the skeleton, they keep adding it to them. Even if they have 20 mana, they will add each one to the creature regardless if they use it to block or not.

Second bug worked in my wifes favor. She logged me out of the game and then she logged in and for some reason, it gave her my cards that I had unlocked and basically copied my save and overrode hers.

[quote name='Techsticles']Wow that's impressive.[/QUOTE]

No, no it is not. Two factors to consider:

A. Going against the AI
B. Using the Elf Deck

Anyone can do that, and more if they were willing to waste the time.

[quote name='jd_james_427']No, no it is not. Two factors to consider:

A. Going against the AI
B. Using the Elf Deck

Anyone can do that, and more if they were willing to waste the time.[/QUOTE]
Of course it was AI, a human would have rage quit the second each creature hit 20 damage, and the elf deck is just about the only good deck with a few exceptions.

[quote name='jd_james_427']If by "good" you mean "noobish", then yes.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like someone has had their ass kicked a couple times by said deck? :) Just received my Garruk Wildspeaker card. Has a nice little 360 icon on it.

bread's done
Back