Xbox 360 slim - $299 -- Old Arcade $150, Elite $250 -- READ OP

poker360

Banned
shipping to retailers this week, and available to buy this week. not yet on any websites.

Hey guys, i just picked up my xbox 360 250gb S console. I have been trying it out and will give a few impressions, including how hot this thing gets. First off, the wireless adapter works great, very easy to find my network. The console itself is beautiful, loving the buttons where they are touch sensitive. I cannot hear the console when on dashboard, but i can while playing games and the disc is spinning (still not nearly as loud as old models). There is one big issue that i AM having with this however: The thing is whisper silent, but it is also Flaming Hot. Look at the picture. See the big vent on the side? That's where all the heat is at. It's not on the back like the previous console, it doesn't seem like the fan is pushing out the heat very well. This could just be me, but i had someone else touch it to verify that they indeed thought it was outrageously HOT. Let this be a warning to buyers! .. Also i do understand this may not be a problem at all. My Wii does get hot with wii connect 24 (But not as hot as the 360..). My Mac also get's rather hot (still not as hot as the 360..). I'm just throwing this out there.

Fix: Make your 360 sit horizontally. It will help the 360 ventilate better, and won't get nearly as hot!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Pro...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-QITCFx9nwsTluOMMcV9Frw

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250G..._7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276552010&sr=1-7

360 Arcade will drop to $150
360 Elite will drop to $250
New 360 250GB "slim" is $300

img7345.jpg

250gb hdd, built in wireless n adapter

Built in transfer software, so if you want to upgrade, no worries!
includes wireless controller, headset, and composite cables

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slickkill77']Are you installing your games poker?[/QUOTE]

yeah, i installed gears 2. i don't think the ones i previously had installed transferred over with the hard drive transfer?

regardless, i'm saying the system gets really hot just in dashboard alone.

testing horizontal position right now.

so far so good on everything on my side. it is a little heated on the side as I have the 360 slim standing up but nothing major it's like having my laptop on.

[quote name='poker360']on mine, there's vents on the top side of the console, not the other.

going to turn on 360 for about 30 minutes horizontally and see if theres a differnece. will report back here![/QUOTE]
Ah. I thought that plate on the top (if it was in the vertical position) appeared to be a vent as well.

Edit: the picture here: http://www.joystiq.com/screenshots/xbox-360-slim-live-shots/3079648/#/2
That's not a vent?

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Ah. I thought that plate on the top (if it was in the vertical position) appeared to be a vent as well.[/QUOTE]

i thought the only vent (that i noticed) was the one of the side of the 360 like in this picture: (so when it is horizontal, the heat will come out of the top)

img7345.jpg

Eh, I'm going for it. I hope my GS has some tomorrow, I'll trade up. I always like getting the newest stuff, I am a sucker like that.

Wasn't it around 6 o'clock last night you guys recieved shipping info for your order on gamestop? Mine's pending, and the lady said that mine was being "all packed up." I jut wanna see that Z A 1 2 X X X X X X X X X code pop up. Then I can finally rest.

Ok guys, leaving it horizontally i guess let's it ventilate better, it's still warm, just not as hot as when it was vertical!

Theres a post on amazon about how hot the new xbox gets also. Would be good to get feedback from anyone else whos managed to get one, but then again theyre probably busy playing it and not on here!

[quote name='Shimmerz']Theres a post on amazon about how hot the new xbox gets also. Would be good to get feedback from anyone else whos managed to get one, but then again theyre probably busy playing it and not on here![/QUOTE]

According to my UPS tracker... mine is delivered! I will post impressions after I data transfer and play it for a little bit :D

Judging from Poker's post I am going to have to leave it horizontal rather than vertical I guess. Less heat the better.

[quote name='Shimmerz']Theres a post on amazon about how hot the new xbox gets also. Would be good to get feedback from anyone else whos managed to get one, but then again theyre probably busy playing it and not on here![/QUOTE]

in case you didn't read the op, i talked about it.

hell yeah....finally a 360 owner, and at a hell of a price!!! $130 at target. I look at it as $80 for a new 360, can't beat that with a bat

[quote name='poker360']Ok guys, leaving it horizontally i guess let's it ventilate better, it's still warm, just not as hot as when it was vertical![/QUOTE]

Any chance you have a thermometer you can put on top of the 360 when its running?

How hot something feels is kind of relative; an actual measurement may be helpful to those who are still considering an upgrade.

None available in my area yet.. so I can't do it myself

[quote name='BattleChicken']Any chance you have a thermometer you can put on top of the 360 when its running?

How hot something feels is kind of relative; an actual measurement may be helpful to those who are still considering an upgrade.

None available in my area yet.. so I can't do it myself[/QUOTE]

I'm with this guy, but that might be a little complicated.

Answer it like this : Would you be able to hold your hand on the heated area and not be forced to move it (your hand) because it is too hot?

[quote name='ac_fiz']Did they fix the issue where if you move the 360 then it eats up your disc?[/QUOTE]No, but you would have to be pretty stupid to pick up your console with a disc spinning inside.

Wait Im confused what if I trade in my Xbox 360 to get the new one how Im I going to transfer my Memory from my old 120 harddrive to the new one??? :whistle2:k

HALP!

[quote name='ac_fiz']Did they fix the issue where if you move the 360 then it eats up your disc?[/QUOTE]

You're moving your console with a disc spinning? That's called USER ERROR.

[quote name='Trojann']Wait Im confused what if I trade in my Xbox 360 to get the new one how Im I going to transfer my Memory from my old 120 harddrive to the new one??? :whistle2:k

HALP![/QUOTE]Move it all to a USB flash drive or dont trade in the HDD...

[quote name='ac_fiz']Did they fix the issue where if you move the 360 then it eats up your disc?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thats an ID-10-T Error, Microsoft cannot do much to fix that problem*.

*Technically Microsoft could switch to a slot loading drive, but this is the kind of user to put their disc in the microwave and be confused as to why it isnt working anymore.

My excitement of getting one went down a notch after reading the posts above. I just checked my 360 for heat and it felt pretty damn hot. Hot enough that I decided to move the Wii which was standing right next to it. Might of melted that sunuffa bits.

I can't remember if I said this on here or not, but the 360 is not a PSP or DS. There is no reason to be moving it while it's running. Yeah, it does suck that it didn't come with a slot loading drive, but just don't move it while it's running and you'll be fine.

[quote name='DJP519']You're moving your console with a disc spinning? That's called USER ERROR.[/QUOTE]

No, I don't move it, I don't play it, but there is an 11yr old and an 8yr old that knock it down/trip over cords occasionally.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Any chance you have a thermometer you can put on top of the 360 when its running?

None available in my area yet.. so I can't do it myself[/QUOTE]

uhm, i don't have a thermometer like that =\

Does the new system come with a a transfer cable or will I have to buy one? And if anything, is it difficult to transfer your stuff through a usb and where is the best place to get either the usb or transfer kit?

[quote name='ac_fiz']No, I don't move it, I don't play it, but there is an 11yr old and an 8yr old that knock it down/trip over cords occasionally.[/QUOTE]Sit it up on a shelf. It shouldnt be on the floor or anywhere where you can trip over the cords.

[quote name='poker360']Ok guys, leaving it horizontally i guess let's it ventilate better, it's still warm, just not as hot as when it was vertical![/QUOTE]

Question I have then is it actually venting better or is the heat getting trapped inside? Because if it's trapped inside, guess what, shit's gonna melt again and MS wouldn't have done a thing to fix their problems.

[quote name='ChicoChanqlueta']Does the new system come with a a transfer cable or will I have to buy one? And if anything, is it difficult to transfer your stuff through a usb and where is the best place to get either the usb or transfer kit?[/QUOTE]

You have to buy one. I'm sure you could get the transfer kit at any place with electronics department... Gamestop, best buy, target, or walmart (i would think). It is much easier using this than doing the usb transfer.

Alright thanks. I'm really considering getting this due to my Xbox giving me the red rings two weeks ago while playing Alan Wake. It hasn't happened since but I play my Xbox often enough that it's always a concern. Plus, I really want a bigger hard drive.

[quote name='mitch079']Question I have then is it actually venting better or is the heat getting trapped inside? Because if it's trapped inside, guess what, shit's gonna melt again and MS wouldn't have done a thing to fix their problems.[/QUOTE]

It has to be better. The sides are nothing but huge vents unlike the other system. I have mine and just by looking at it the system looks better designed.

quick question about transferring files- i hear that some files aren't easily transferred specifically Mass Effect 1&2. I'm wondering what is the best way to transfer it, and if there are any other files that cause problems?

i think what i might do is use a spare 1gb to save a buncha important save files as a backup, and then get a transfer cable and transfer everything over, and if any of the files aren't good i can use the usb file...hopefully.

[quote name='y2jasper']quick question about transferring files- i hear that some files aren't easily transferred specifically Mass Effect 1&2. I'm wondering what is the best way to transfer it, and if there are any other files that cause problems?

i think what i might do is use a spare 1gb to save a buncha important save files as a backup, and then get a transfer cable and transfer everything over, and if any of the files aren't good i can use the usb file...hopefully.[/QUOTE]

it doesn't delete data off of the old hard drive

also it appears all of my mass effect 1 & 2 including the importer transferred correctly -- i haven't played the game since i got the new console and transferred though

[quote name='joshnorm']It has to be better. The sides are nothing but huge vents unlike the other system. I have mine and just by looking at it the system looks better designed.[/QUOTE]

I'm suspect. It seems to me if the console is lying vertical, the fan would have to work harder to push the heat out since it's working directly against gravity than it would when it's horizontal. And if it's hotter when it's horizontal, to me, more heat is leaving the system. And there's less space in the console for the heat to go. Not a physics major by any means but I'll wait at least a year on this and see how people's consoles are faring and possibly buy an arcade as a backup in the meantime since they're cheap.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Does the data transfer cable transfer over the licenses for the DLC and XBLA titles that are on it?[/QUOTE]

No you have to go to xbox.com/drm to take care of that officially. You can actually queue it to your xbox from the computer so it doesnt take as long. At least that is how I had to do it transferring my MW2 Elite HD data to the FFXIII Elite HD.

I am transferring my 1173 items right now so it is gonna take a bit plus game 7 of the NBA Finals is on tonight so I wont report back until later!

Unfortunately this is my 2nd transfer in about 6 months and you can only do 1 per year. Guess I will call and see if they can help me out. My old acct with 105,000 GS has so many arcade titles tied to it. If I can transfer the licenses then I can play those arcade games and DLC on this account cuz Xbox has retarded DRM and it is tied to the damn console rather than the Hard Drive. Again though this is unless they changed it due to the slim. :D

please inform me where the second ventliation area is because i only see one on the top / right side of the console.

[quote name='poker360']it doesn't delete data off of the old hard drive

also it appears all of my mass effect 1 & 2 including the importer transferred correctly -- i haven't played the game since i got the new console and transferred though[/QUOTE]

I would love to get verification that this worked. My understanding was that it would transfer over, but would be corrupt and the game couldn't use it. Let us know, if you test it.

[quote name='poker360']please inform me where the second ventliation area is because i only see one on the top / right side of the console.[/QUOTE]There are ventilation holes on the right and left sides (if the console is horizontal)

[quote name='iScar']There are ventilation holes on the right and left sides (if the console is horizontal)[/QUOTE]

ah i didn't know that those were there, kinda weird that it doesn't get hot there.

i'm trying out mass effect 2 right now.

[quote name='GUNNM']why would anyone buy an elite for 250$?[/QUOTE]

Those lacking in knowledge ;)

I'm curious, because I haven't really researched the trade-in offer for GS, but the $100 trade-in price, is that being reflected for ALL 360s, or does the price vary from type of unit to unit?

Also, when trading it in, what is required (I suspect console, 1 controller, and cables), but do they require hdds as well?

[quote name='Cindaddy']I would love to get verification that this worked. My understanding was that it would transfer over, but would be corrupt and the game couldn't use it. Let us know, if you test it.[/QUOTE]

I just started up mass effect 2 and loaded my previous save. I had already finished the game and did like a new game + i believe on the hardest difficulty, everything loaded with no problems.

[quote name='GUNNM']why would anyone buy an elite for 250$?[/QUOTE]
Retailers are probably sitting on a huge stack of Arcades so they're getting rid of those first and then they'll work on getting rid of Elite consoles they have left

[quote name='shadowkast']Inside my disc tray of the arcade I bought is a perfect dark zero test disc. This is normal I assume?[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you hit the jackpot. Does it let you do anything unusual with the console?

bread's done
Back