XBox Dashboard Update 11/01/10 (Formerly: Xbox Live Preview Program)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The only avatar rewards that work for me at the moment are from Comic Jumper, Splosion Man, and Monday Night Combat out of a good dozen or so games I've earned items from.[/QUOTE]
My Alan Wake award JUST started working a day or two ago.

I tried to watch heat vs magic last night. Was going good for about 7 minutes into the 1st quarter. Then it stopped, tried again and it would just not stream well. So i gave up. Probably because my internet is not very fast? 1.3 MB/s

[quote name='smitboy']Anybody with Time Warner Cable tried to use ESPN3 on their preview now that we can get ESPN3? You have to log in via the web, when you watch it on the web. Don't see how this will be possible on Xbox Live. Anybody tried this that has TWC?[/QUOTE]

I would, but I can't figure out how to watch live events.

[quote name='life.exe']I would, but I can't figure out how to watch live events.[/QUOTE]

You can only watch when they have live events scheduled. You will see them in the "Live Events" section. The vast majority of them are on Saturdays (college football) with others being scattered throughout the week. You can see a list of Upcoming Events in the Upcoming Events tab (makes sense, hey?).

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Most of the avatar stuff is working now! I can rock the costume quest pumpkin lid for Halloween![/QUOTE]

Thanks for that head's up. Updated my avatar on xbox.com with the Costume Quest head. Just in time for Halloween. :applause:

yeah monday is the update

"Important Information About Your Xbox LIVE Service

On November 1, 2010, there will be a mandatory service update to Xbox LIVE. This update will both add new features to your service and also enhance the interface, navigation, and responsiveness of Xbox LIVE.

Full details of the new features being added to your service can be found on xbox.com.

To prepare you for the update, here are some Frequently Asked Questions and resources you can refer to as needed:

Q: Is there anything I need to do to start the update?
A: Beginning on November 1, 2010, you will receive a notification that an update to Xbox LIVE is available as soon as you start your Xbox 360 console. Use your controller to accept the update according to the on-screen instructions.

Q: What if I decline the service update?
A: If you decline the update, you will not be able to connect to Xbox LIVE until the update is accepted. You will still be able to use all of the offline features of your Xbox 360 console. Xbox LIVE features will be unavailable until the update is complete.

Q: How long will the update take to complete?
A: The time required to complete the update will vary based on your Internet connection speed. However, for most users, the update will require between 5 and 10 minutes to complete. You will not be able to use your Xbox 360 console while the update is processing.

Q: How will I know that the update has completed successfully?
A: Once complete, your Xbox 360 will restart as usual. You will notice a change to the layout of the Xbox LIVE Dashboard, a new color scheme, and new fonts being used.

Q: What do I do if the update does not complete successfully?
A: In the unlikely event that the update does not complete, please visit www.support.xbox.com for information. This is the best resource for resolving any issues with your Xbox 360 console or LIVE service.

Thank you for being a valued member of Xbox LIVE. We hope you continue to enjoy the best in games, entertainment, and fun, brought to you by Xbox LIVE.

The Xbox LIVE Team

[quote name='HydroX']You can only watch when they have live events scheduled. You will see them in the "Live Events" section. The vast majority of them are on Saturdays (college football) with others being scattered throughout the week. You can see a list of Upcoming Events in the Upcoming Events tab (makes sense, hey?).[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm...I've never seen the Live Events or Upcoming Events sections listed anywhere. Are those normally in the same area as the Highlights section? because I've never seen anything listed there other than Highlights.

Either there is an entire area of the ESPN thing that I am missing or those sections don't show up for people who can't watch them.

The shirt from the first DeathSpank (unicorn poop) and Cartman's hat from the South Park are still broken, though at least the main items I wanted to use are working now. They ruined the first mask from Ancient Ooga by giving it eye holes in the cloth that covered the whole head before. Kenny's hoodie still has clipping issues, so they didn't "fix" everything.

[quote name='life.exe']Hmmmm...I've never seen the Live Events or Upcoming Events sections listed anywhere. Are those normally in the same area as the Highlights section? because I've never seen anything listed there other than Highlights.

Either there is an entire area of the ESPN thing that I am missing or those sections don't show up for people who can't watch them.[/QUOTE]

Events are still shown as a choice even if you can't watch them in your area. There are some games I can't watch because they "aren't available in my area" like the Oregon Ducks games for some reason.

I can't recall where it's listed at (haven't used it for about a week), but I think it's right on one of the main menus.

I think when you first access it, you see those 4-5 windows of featured programming. Go all the way left, and hit A. It will bring up a list you can scroll through "On Demand Events", "Live Events", "Upcoming Events", stuff like that. If you don't have that, then I guess you're flat out fucked, or totally blind. Or both. ;)

I figured it'd be up at midnight. but have been restarting console once an hour to get update to no avail. guess i'll crash and look for it in the morning...anyone else not get their update?

What the hell? All my friends are gone. They don't show up on the Friend list anymore and they don't appear on the Friends dashboard section.

What is this :censored:

Yeah I've only heard bad things about the update and nervous about updating to it. I like everything the way it is now, I just wish they would optimize the loading when you go to the game marketplace or when you open your games library.

I guess the only thing I'm looking forward to is better audio codecs.

Did the update this morning... ugh... I get loading circles on nearly everything now. The shit is dog slow.

This is one reason why a next gen console would be beneficial.

Yeah, as one of the people who have no interest in flailing around in front of a camera while playing a video game, I kinda wish they had given users a choice of whether to stick with the old version of the dashboard without the cosmetic updates(and still kept the new audio codec/content) and just made this visual update required for people buying the kinect. Everything has a noticably longer loading time now, it seems.

I thought the update was fine in the beta other than the absolutely atrocious color scheme. Didn't have any issues this morning, although I admittedly didn't check out every section of the dashboard.

I thought the update was fine in the beta other than the absolutely atrocious color scheme. Didn't have any issues this morning & speed was fine, although I admittedly didn't check out every section of the dashboard.

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']What the hell? All my friends are gone. They don't show up on the Friend list anymore and they don't appear on the Friends dashboard section.

What is this :censored:[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me, I fixed it by restarting my xbox then signing back in to live and agreeing to the updated terms of use.

Some of my avatar awards don't work.....

[quote name='Strell']This is fucking awful.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for concisely stating what I think we are all thinking. Why the hell did they have to change this again? It was fine.

It was up at 4:30 am Chicago time. Updated and also downloaded the ESPN3 application, it is a separate update. New avatar update removed helmets my son and I had on. Will explore more after I get home from work.

[quote name='theredworm']
the+red+worm.png
[/QUOTE]

Is this a new feature?

[quote name='kylerg']Is this a new feature?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Check out my gamerpic I made last week.
thrustbucket.png

In the preview, the dashboard was MUCH faster. The UI is much snappier. That was a big reason for the change; speed improvements. Especially friends list and the guide menu. Each UI element takes less time to render.

If that's not the case this morning, then I don't know what the problem is.

I don't really like this new dashboard. Even some of the newer additions have big problems, like Your Game Add-Ons which doesn't sort it by recently played, but instead by what's most popular on the service. I know they'd like to sell me Modern Warfare 2 DLC but I haven't played it since December of last year.

The white blades also aren't fitting either. Has anyone at Microsoft come up with a reason as to why we can't switch colors? I know before we had puke green, but I'd rather have that.

Oh, and they removed the LT/RT vertical scrolling because it was useless.

[quote name='KingBroly']
Oh, and they removed the LT/RT vertical scrolling because it was useless.[/QUOTE]

Worked for me this morning. Hardly useless, as RT takes you to the Spotlight and one more press and you are back to your main blade.

I don't get the obsesion with white. I know it makes things look clean and minimalist, but damn that's ugly. They release a new updated black xbox that looks much better than the off white color of the original, now they're making everything white in the dashboard.

Okay, here's a bit of BS: The new dashboard deleted my Rock Band 2 installed game data so now I have to reinstall it. It's the only one that's like this, too.

Can Microsoft make it any clearer...with the blindingly white backgrounds, goofy sound effects, and Kinnect...that they want the 360 to be the Wii? Geez...

[quote name='GUNNM']That's the only thing I see bad with this update is everything is white.[/QUOTE]

and even that won't be bad once your eyes adjust.

Thank you, Microsoft, for giving my Xbox 360 yet another feature update.

The built-in white balance and contrast checking tools that I now have with every single time I boot you up. Thank you for that, I never would have known I needed it until you gave me those tools. :roll:

I'm waiting for Clippy to pop out. I swear he's buried in there somewhere.

It looks like you are trying to pwn some bitches...

Hate the look, hate the brightness, hate the new sound effects..

I really wish they'd give us the option to choose which look we want. A mandatory update isn't needed every time, you know. There was nothing wrong with the previous dashboard. I can't believe they're giving us this garbage and charging us more to connect. Glad I have a bunch of one month trials saved up!

Part of the new "look" involves more than just new colors and skin. It's using different, more efficient, code.

So to give you "choice" of how your dashboard looks would require separate code paths, thus more QA all the time to make sure everything displays correctly in different "skins", which would translate into more costs.

The sound effects? Really? I can understand complaining that it's too bright (although if your screen is properly calibrated, it really should not be too bright) - but sound effects?

bread's done
Back