Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

Just buy a external hard drive.
You're missing the point. There should be an option to do either based on preferences. I'd prefer to not have multiple USB devices hooked up to my Xbox One all of the time with one being critical as a storage device when I should be able to expand the internal storage and potentially speed up the OS if I put in an SSHD or SSD. Though it had its own issues and limitations, they offered both options last generation. I've got three consoles hooked up right now where the only option to expand the storage is to "just buy an external hard drive" and that's not a good trend.

To say $500 for just a new hard drive is a major simplified statement since the biggest thing in this equation is the elite controller bundled in.
They're making a big deal about how much faster the new internal SSHD in that model is over the default HDD they typically include, so they're actively suggesting you spend $500 to get it for that. The Elite Console page on Xbox.com spends two-thirds of the page espousing the "amazing" benefits of the SSHD. If we could put one of our own in, we could get the same benefits at a much lower cost to the existing customers. Remember, the current internal HDD was found to be pretty bad for load times compared to faster basic external hard drives, so it would allow for people to have much better experiences with the OS than they currently do.

That's what I mean. There will always be groups that study the hardware and put together fixes. The difficulty might vary. The thing is it isn't up to Microsoft to make a product easy for you to repair. Look at how most phones are glued together now which makes things very difficult to repair yourself. Their responsibility is to produce a product that maximizes their profits. You may say that it would be simple to make a console with a swappable drive but that also means they have to completely redesign the shell, produce instructions and an OS that will format it, design the interior so it is easily removed without damaging anything else, etc. A lot of companies are finding that it is just cheaper to make a product that is locked down. Hell, I broke my phone and Motorola doesn't even bother fixing it anymore. They just send you a new one.
This is the problem. With Microsoft's motto of late being "We'll do anything to get you to buy our consoles because we majorly fucked up for the first year", this would be a good thing to implement along with everything else they're doing. Doing BC obviously wasn't an easy thing, but they still did it because it benefits the end consumer to have that option.

Rumor is the new dashboard is going to pop up for preview members this month. Hence the lack of updates. The old dashboard will be gone soon.

Rumor is the new dashboard is going to pop up for preview members this month. Hence the lack of updates. The old dashboard will be gone soon.
Couldn't come sooner as the current dash is horrible.. easily my least favorite part of the console.. new dash looks leaps and bounds better from the previews and can't wait to try it out this month.

Wow, I thought it would be at least Oct- early Nov for that.

I like the dash we have now but hey I am open to change.

I don't know why but I been really excited for Forza 6 lately. I guess Horizon 2 got boring because the world lacked variety and this has 450 cars to collect out of the box.

Anyone else playing Mad Max? I've been playing it on my Xbox One alongside MGSV on PS4 and I have got to say Mad Max has surprised me a lot. I wasn't expecting much from the game, but have been pleasantly surprised with how much fun I am having with the game. It's not on the same level as Metal Gear, but despite it's flaws Mad Max does the series right and is one of the better open world games I have played in awhile, the car combat and customization options are the highlight of the game for me, but the Batman style combat works really well in this game and I like all the little details and fan-service from the films. I also really love that photo/video capture mode they have in-game, it's really cool and something more games should do this generation.  

I actually kind of don't like the look of it. The column of icons on the left looks too busy and like it's trying to be the XMB or something. :/

The new Guide sounds good. Frankly it never should have gone away in the initial 360 -> One transition. Great that they're bringing it back.

I like the sound of the redesigned store and the interface being faster.

Very impressed that functionality like streaming and Game DVR works with 360 games! I was not aware of this!

I'd have to agree with all of the above points, though I may change my opinion on the icon column until I see it in person when I get it via the Preview program.   Guess I'll see by the end of the month of what it looks like.

I wonder how they're picking the waves.  They said "based off of the amount of feedback".  I wonder if they are referring to the rankings under "MyStats", or perhaps by forum participation?

Where is the best place to get a external HDD for cheap? Is there a site that sell some really good ones or should I maybe wait until black Friday?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else playing Mad Max? I've been playing it on my Xbox One alongside MGSV on PS4 and I have got to say Mad Max has surprised me a lot. I wasn't expecting much from the game, but have been pleasantly surprised with how much fun I am having with the game. It's not on the same level as Metal Gear, but despite it's flaws Mad Max does the series right and is one of the better open world games I have played in awhile, the car combat and customization options are the highlight of the game for me, but the Batman style combat works really well in this game and I like all the little details and fan-service from the films. I also really love that photo/video capture mode they have in-game, it's really cool and something more games should do this generation.
I'm enjoying it, but I'm a bit bothered by it. Mad Max feels like little more than a reskinned Shadow of Mordor, with the Assassin's Creed-like elements replaced by GTA. It's still a fun game, but just doesn't feel like a fresh game. Just my opinion.

Anyone else get Forza 6? I got the UE and have been playing the hell out of it already. Really enjoying this go around and also enjoy the car selection. If anyone likes to race online, hit me up.

Anyone else get Forza 6? I got the UE and have been playing the hell out of it already. Really enjoying this go around and also enjoy the car selection. If anyone likes to race online, hit me up.
Picking mine up on the 15th, I got the regular edition preordered. It will be my change of pace game so I don't go all out for it. I'll be playing alot until Fifa and NBA come out, so I'll race with ya.

You should be a pro by the time I get it. Even got my racing wheel ready, need to buy or make a racing wheel stand though. Leaning towards using scrap steel and welding me one up to save cash.

Picking mine up on the 15th, I got the regular edition preordered. It will be my change of pace game so I don't go all out for it. I'll be playing alot until Fifa and NBA come out, so I'll race with ya.

You should be a pro by the time I get it. Even got my racing wheel ready, need to buy or make a racing wheel stand though. Leaning towards using scrap steel and welding me one up to save cash.
What racing wheel did you get? I want the G920, but the price tag is steep.

What racing wheel did you get? I want the G920, but the price tag is steep.
Nothing crazy, the thrust master Ferrari used for 60 bucks on amazon.

I am currently at the Microsoft store in beachwood. Getting my unopened Batman AK exchanged for Forza 6 and also took my COD:AW broken controller that has wicked drift and they exchanged for a new Forza 6 controller. They tested drift and we're bummed for me since it was a limited controller.

SCORE!!! [Originally they were giving me a covert forces but I asked nicely with a wink and a hush].

So I got 2 of em now. One I ordered with Golden crisp cereal online. The grip in the back is so nice and sexual. My wife will be happy. As am I.

Invites for the opt in will be going out at 6 pm PST (9 pm EST) for dashboard preview members. This will be the opt in for the new Xbox One Experience (aka the new dashboard).

From my understanding, this will be sent to all of those in the preview. They will select the top participants at first from those that opted in, and then go from there.

Personally, I'm fucking stoked for this! Lvl 21 with 1900 points for the program. Ranked 105 on the global leaderboard. I'm quite hopeful to be in the first wave!

Invites for the opt in will be going out at 6 pm PST (9 pm EST) for dashboard preview members. This will be the opt in for the new Xbox One Experience (aka the new dashboard). From my understanding, this will be sent to all of those in the preview. They will select the top participants at first from those that opted in, and then go from there. Personally, I'm fucking stoked for this! Lvl 21 with 1900 points for the program. Ranked 105 on the global leaderboard. I'm quite hopeful to be in the first wave!
No message here, but going into the preview dashboard, it was updated with the opt-in registration.

Concerning is that Taken King has launch issues with this update. I'm still opting in, but I'm hoping I don't regret it.

Can't wait to play Forza tomorrow. Amazon fuck ed up and decided to combine another order I had so instead of getting Forza on launch I am getting it tomorrow (assuming my post office pulls through).

Really what makes Forza 6 so great is I can dial in the difficulty to my liking and I never know what the driveatars will do. Horizon 2 lacked the variety of locations and the fact I had to drive to every event for no reason.

[quote name="Fearia" post="12923796" timestamp="1442459383"]Concerning is that Taken King has launch issues with this update. I'm still opting in, but I'm going I don't regret it.[/quote]
I was thinking the same thing. Since I'm new to the program I doubt I'll be in the first wave. Maybe by the time I get in the issues will be resolved.

[quote name="Sir_Fragalot" post="12925132" timestamp="1442529037"]I registered through the preview dash and they said I would get it next update cycle. Don't know when that is though. They say it's twice a week.[/quote]
I got the same message. But before that it also said when accepted the pending message would change and mine still says pending so I guess I'll see.

[quote name="Bleedingwickedly" post="12925758" timestamp="1442549736"]Apparently there's a ton of apps and games not working in the new update. Makes me glad I didn't get in early.[/quote]
According to an insider on IGN for him if a game or app doesn't launch a hard reset fixes it. Doesn't sound as bad as the faq makes it sound.

There's a lot of angry people in the preview right now because they didn't get in. I didn't get in (despite my ranking of 105 on the leaderboard). I'm not angry, but I am perplexed at what it takes to get picked. I mean, the #3 ranked person didn't get in. What were they looking for?

There's a lot of angry people in the preview right now because they didn't get in. I didn't get in (despite my ranking of 105 on the leaderboard). I'm not angry, but I am perplexed at what it takes to get picked. I mean, the #3 ranked person didn't get in. What were they looking for?
Maybe amount of time spent on the system, variety of games and apps used, etc. I'm guessing that feedback rating isn't the sole deciding factor. Obviously I don't know what your usage is like, just a thought. It seems like variety of usage would be the biggest factor. I personally don't give too much feedback unless something doesn't work or needs adjustments.

Battlefield Hardline is coming to EAaccess Vault in October. Not too bad, EAaccess has been doing a decent job. Seems most AAA titles are put into the Vault less then 12 months after release.

If you have pre-order fallout 4, the code for fallout 3 is being sent out on xbox message. Just got mine.
Does the Disc version of Fallout 3 work as well? My GF was talking about replaying Fallout 3.

Also enjoying Forza 6, except for the fact that everything costs so damn much, lol.

Well, just got a notification while I was playing some State of Decay YOSE telling me I have to go online or I'll lose all my offline achievements. A little piece of me died today...

First new Xbox One bundle for this week is the Rise of the Tomb Raider bundle, 1tb hhd with both Tomb Raider games for $399. 4 more bundle will be announced this week everyday til Friday.

I bet one will be a Black Xbox One with Halo MCC and Halo 5 and one will be a Black Xbox One with Forza 6 and Forza Horizon 2.

I can see a black xbox one with rare replay and a lego game of some kind. Perhaps a "sports" bundle with FIfa and Madden.

They do. But its limited. I just seem them making another one. They don't have the marketing for a lot of the big release 3rd party titles this holiday so its hard to see what the others would be. Fallout 4 is possible because i'm not sure who has the marketing rights for it.

Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, and R6:Siege. A children's bundle with Rare Replay and something else could work.

bread's done
Back