Xbox Shortage?

dafoomie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Is there an Xbox shortage right now? I can't find a single store with new Xboxes. I have $150 in store credit at a certain online retailer, but they've been completely sold out of almost all hardware for a while now. Anyone else notice this, and anyone know when more Xboxes are going to hit the retail channel?

yeah, i have also been having trouble finding an Xbox....i checked every BB, CC, Gamestop, EB around me and they didn't have any in stock....they also don't know when they're going restock

at work we havnt had any in (with the exception of one shipment 2 days before christmas of about 50 pieces) in weeks.. and that one shipment sold out in a matter of hours.. i *heard* there was some problem in production that caused a shortage, but more than likely, its micro$oft toying with supply and demand...

Same here. I think they are trying to create a false demand by restricting how many are in the market, so that they can restock them in another month and sell them all quickly, especially if they want to clear their backstock of systems to make room for Xbox 2 this year.

Yep. The holidays really got rid of them. BB had a sign saying they didn't have enough of the DS, Xbox, and PS2. And I think they were out of the GameCube bundle but had the GC by itself.

Yup, the Best Buy I work at has been OOS of Xbox's, PS2's, DS's, and even GBA SP's for the past week or so. We had a shipment of DS's on Sunday that was sold out right at close. We got a shipment of SP's on Tuesday I think and we have plenty of those now. On Thursday we got about 60 PS2's in. Those were gone by about 5:00 or 6:00. We haven't had any Xbox's in since probably a week or two before Christmas. Same goes for the PS2.

[quote name='deathcabforcutie']at work we havnt had any in (with the exception of one shipment 2 days before christmas of about 50 pieces) in weeks.. and that one shipment sold out in a matter of hours.. i *heard* there was some problem in production that caused a shortage, but more than likely, its micro$oft toying with supply and demand...[/quote]

Microsoft isn;t toying with crap. What happened is that there was a PS2 shortage during holiday season so people bought X-Boxes as gifts instead. As a result of that, xbox shipments didn't meet the sudden demand for them.

[quote name='CappyCobra']Seems to be the case in my area too. My X-box is getting long in the tooth (1st gen).[/quote]
Exactly, my launch day Xbox is failing. DDE's on my brand new Mechassault 2 was the last straw. Sony bled the channel dry to get their slim model out the door, and had some problems, so I can understand that, but what is the problem with Xbox? Why can't (or won't) MS meet demand?

I don't think the place I have store credit at will be getting any on their website for a long time, I think they put their stores first.

The holidays have gotten everything...no ds no new pstwos no xboxs on thing left are GBAs and GCs.....dam..
Oh on a off note hey dafoomie how you feel about Martinez going to the mets?

[quote name='CappyCobra'][quote name='deathcabforcutie']at work we havnt had any in (with the exception of one shipment 2 days before christmas of about 50 pieces) in weeks.. and that one shipment sold out in a matter of hours.. i *heard* there was some problem in production that caused a shortage, but more than likely, its micro$oft toying with supply and demand...[/quote]

Microsoft isn;t toying with crap. What happened is that there was a PS2 shortage during holiday season so people bought X-Boxes as gifts instead. As a result of that, xbox shipments didn't meet the sudden demand for them.[/quote]

they could be. Xbox 2's announcement is supposed to be only weeks away

Yup, same problem here. I can't find any retailers with them in stock. I've got Christmas cash to burn and was really hoping I could find one in time for my brother's b-day.

[quote name='integralsmatic']The holidays have gotten everything...no ds no new pstwos no xboxs on thing left are GBAs and GCs.....dam..
Oh on a off note hey dafoomie how you feel about Martinez going to the mets?[/quote]
The Mets are crazy to offer 4 years. Pedro is smart for taking it, and the Redsox are smart for not matching it. He's already not the same Pedro he was, he won't be any better at 37.

I really need an Xbox soon, I'd take a used one if I was guaranteed a Samsung drive, but they don't even have those anymore.

Amazon.com has been getting them in every two days, but they are the non holiday bundles. If you check every day before 12 or 1 EST you should have no problems finding one if you need one.

[quote name='ex0']Amazon.com has been getting them in every two days, but they are the non holiday bundles. If you check every day before 12 or 1 EST you should have no problems finding one if you need one.[/quote]
Yeah but I need them at the site that I have store credit at, which won't happen until there isn't a shortage anymore.

It might have been possible your credit was for amazon ;)
But it was mainly for others who didn't have a specific place they needed to use their money.

huh If I go to stores in WI, they have nothing but PS2, and if I go to stores in IL, they have nithing but xboxs. There was a DS here and there, and every place had the GC.

[quote name='bignick']huh If I go to stores in WI, they have nothing but PS2, and if I go to stores in IL, they have nithing but xboxs. There was a DS here and there, and every place had the GC.[/quote]
Yeah, theres plenty of Gamecubes floating around. The bundles have been selling fairly well, but the non-bundles have not.

I hope they don't take too much longer... Tomorrow would be good. Forget getting a special edition Xbox in the US, we need Xboxes period.

Its pretty hard to find an Xbox in my area. I have a friend that works at BB and the last time I talked to him he said they had been sold out of Xboxes (along with the PS2 and DS) for a long time.

[quote name='bignick']huh If I go to stores in WI, they have nothing but PS2, and if I go to stores in IL, they have nithing but xboxs. There was a DS here and there, and every place had the GC.[/quote]

Congrats on a slick 6ooo big guy.

I'm in your boat dafoomie, "You failed to load the map" on Halo 2 and other hiccups are starting to take their toll on me...I'll have to check the EB's and GS's around me for refurbished Xbox's.

BTW, you think this'll make prices for even Xbox's like mine (thompson drives) sell higher on ebay?

I'm also in the first gen XBox boat, and have finally decided to throw in the towel. I haven't paid attention to the console in a while ... are all new XBoxes Thompson-free these days?

Just wanted to make sure before I drop the cash.

We got 20 in two days ago, all gone in two days. We got 50 in order for the store, and im assuming they will be gone just as quickly, and they are no longer coming with the holiday games.

I got my new Xbox on the last day of the EB "trade a preowned working Xbox and 5 games and get $150 trade in credit" deal. So I guess that was, uh, a little over a month ago?

Anyhow, even at that time there was a shortage of Xboxes. I live in Vegas and we have at least 6 EBs, and only ONE, way the hell outside of town, had a new Xbox. I had to call them and tell them to hold it for me. And wouldn't you know, as soon as I walked in and was picking up my box, a couple came in asking if they had any new Xboxes. That's why you call first and have them hold it. :)

I'm not sure if its really a shortage of PS2s causing it, a good holiday bundle from Microsoft, or the fact that Xbox has finally become the "cool game system" to own, but Xbox is definitely selling better than I would've ever thought possible.

[quote name='themather']I'm also in the first gen XBox boat, and have finally decided to throw in the towel. I haven't paid attention to the console in a while ... are all new XBoxes Thompson-free these days?

Just wanted to make sure before I drop the cash.[/quote]

Yes, all new Xboxes (at least the ones with the Holiday bundle) have new Phillips drives. These new Phillips drives are the absolute best drives you can get at this time - even better than the Samsungs. They read EVERYTHING and are very reliable.

[quote name='mmn'][quote name='themather']I'm also in the first gen XBox boat, and have finally decided to throw in the towel. I haven't paid attention to the console in a while ... are all new XBoxes Thompson-free these days?

Yes, all new Xboxes (at least the ones with the Holiday bundle) have new Phillips drives. These new Phillips drives are the absolute best drives you can get at this time - even better than the Samsungs. They read EVERYTHING and are very reliable.[/quote]

How can you tell which drive you have?

[quote name='TJordan522'][quote name='mmn'][quote name='themather']I'm also in the first gen XBox boat, and have finally decided to throw in the towel. I haven't paid attention to the console in a while ... are all new XBoxes Thompson-free these days?

Yes, all new Xboxes (at least the ones with the Holiday bundle) have new Phillips drives. These new Phillips drives are the absolute best drives you can get at this time - even better than the Samsungs. They read EVERYTHING and are very reliable.[/quote]

How can you tell which drive you have?[/quote]

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=17216

And as I go to check mine for which drive I have, it looks like I have a Thomson drive. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Now I know why I was getting DRE's with KOTOR.

I was just at Best Buy today in West Covina, CA. I was looking through the gaming section and didn't see any xbox's. But I over heard some lady ask for one and up popped a Xbox Holiday Bundle. The CSR said that they had some more. They also have 20 + GGC with the $5 off coupon.

I talked to my local Gamecrazy manager. He's knowledgable and runs the business really friendly.

Basically, he saw sales like this:

1. People kept comming in for the new slim PS2 til they ran out.
2. Since the slim ones were gone, parents started getting the regular ones until they ran out.
3. People decided to say "Well. Give me an Xbox, then." until those ran outs.
4. With only the Gamecube left, most people said "Fug it." and didn't buy many GC's.

My friend had to settle for a used Xbox, and i think he was even lucky he got that.

I asked around for some friends, and all the stores would offer was DS and GC.

My launch date X-box had its Thompson DVD-Drive go about a week before X-mas (wouldn't eject), so I went looking around the Jacksonville, FL area for one and Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy were all sold out (same with PS2's).

I ended up finding a Holiday Bundle Xbox at TRU, but you had to buy it with a cheap 3rd party controller and a Platinum Hits game in order to get the X-box for $189.99. Since it was my only option, I bought it and happily discovered that they rang up each item separately, so I was able to return the controller and game for the $40 credit the next day.

If you do a completed item search on "Xbox Bundle New", you'll see that people were paying in exces of $300 before X-mas due to the shortage. It seems like awfully poor planning by Micro$oft by not being able to have enough units for sale. I wonder how many people would have bought Xbox's this year if they were able to find one in the stores.

I noticed the Xbox shortages at various stores too, particularly at BB.

If you're looking for Xbox, why don't ya'll just get them at Coscto or a similar store? They have plenty of them there but it's $189... it comes with the Xbox Holiday bundle (NCAA 2005/Top Spin), 2 controllers (the first party ones) and the DVD remote.

It costs a little more but it's not a bad deal because it comes with the extra controller and remote... then I got 2 more wireless Logitech Xbox controllers with the $15 rebate so that I could play multi-player games.

[quote name='mmn'][quote name='TJordan522'][quote name='mmn'][quote name='themather']I'm also in the first gen XBox boat, and have finally decided to throw in the towel. I haven't paid attention to the console in a while ... are all new XBoxes Thompson-free these days?

How can you tell which drive you have?[/quote]

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=17216[/quote]

Thanks. I have a Phillips. That's like the mid level one, right?

Its just everyone is spending thier Christmas money. Its looking like this is a shortage caused by a high demand for it ( unlike Sony and thier artificial shortages). I don't think Microsoft actually could have anticipated such a high demand for a product thats nearing the end of its product life cycle.

[quote name='TJordan522']Thanks. I have a Phillips. That's like the mid level one, right?[/quote]

If you got the holiday bundle which has only been out since October, I believe, you have the new Phillips which plays everything and is the best drive you can get. If you have an older Phillips from before that you have a mid level one that isn't as bad as Thompson, but isn't as good as a Samsung.

Besides the fact that different drives can read more or less of the DVD-R, CD-RW, etc, I don't really think there's much difference between the three drives. I had a refurbished Thompson drive that worked great up until I traded it in, but since I'd heard so much about Thompson drives failing I wanted to get rid of it before it went bad on me.

dam i remember holding on a holiday bundle at walmart when me and my friends went for their midnight madness on thanksgiving..i put it down saying "i can just get one later.." well now it sucks cause theyre all sold out..dam me..

No xbox's in my area either. Walmarts out, K-Marts out, GameStop out, EB is out and every mom & pop's is out in my area.

I was waiting out for a new holiday bundle, but i broke: I ordered a refurbished one at GameStop.com, along with a blue controller S and 11 games, for 212$. A good deal, if you ask me.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='CappyCobra'][quote name='deathcabforcutie']at work we havnt had any in (with the exception of one shipment 2 days before christmas of about 50 pieces) in weeks.. and that one shipment sold out in a matter of hours.. i *heard* there was some problem in production that caused a shortage, but more than likely, its micro$oft toying with supply and demand...[/quote]

Microsoft isn;t toying with crap. What happened is that there was a PS2 shortage during holiday season so people bought X-Boxes as gifts instead. As a result of that, xbox shipments didn't meet the sudden demand for them.[/quote]

they could be. Xbox 2's announcement is supposed to be only weeks away[/quote]

WTF, it's too soon!!!! I don't want to pay for an Xbox 2 yet.

Coming into the thread late, but I recall seeing signage at Best Buy this past week that said they had a shortage on PS2s, Xboxes, and DS systems due to high demand.

Does this mean the GameCube is playing Booster to the PS2/Xbox Turbo Man?

I was out and about in the Louisville area yesterday and still couldn't find an Xbox or a PS2. I was told there wouldn't be any PS2's until February

We got about 20 Xbox's in on Saturday night's truck. We got them on the shelf around 9:00 PM and sold 5 of them. I am guessing they were gone by noon today.

Yeah, good luck all, I nabbed the last xbox at my CC on Tuesday, none on floor, asked the guy. Brought it out, turned out to be a holiday bundle too, awesome.

bread's done
Back