Your Favorite movies which no one had ever heard of

[quote name='thesilentshadow30']I have to agree with some that have been mentioned already.

-Series 7: The Contenders - great fake reality tv movie
-The Stuff - "Are you eating it or is it eating you?"
-Three O'Clock High - Funny High School Movie
-UHF - (but I think lots of people know about it) "Today we are going to teach poodles how to fly"
-Run - I remember it from when I was younger but its not out on DVD or even video. has Patrick Dempsey (from Can't Buy Me Love).
-Session 9 - Excellent suspense/ thriller.
-Better Off Dead - (think its fairly known though) Great comedy
- But I'm A Cheerleader - Funny as Hell Comedy about a girl that realizes she is gay and gets sent to a camp that tries to make her straight, it even has Rupaul in it.[/quote]

I found a copy of the VHS version (new) of Run on Amazon.com, not from them directly, but one of their side vendors, z-sellers, or whatever they call them.

[quote name='FrankySox']Lord of the Rings[/quote]

Did you read the title of the post? Somehow i think that at least several people might have heard of that movie.

Well everything has probally been said that I would have posted.. except... Donnie Darko.

Pi
The Isle
The Exterminating Angle
The cook, the thief, his wife, her lover
The Killer (John Woo)
Five Deadly Venoms
Irreversible
The Big One
Re-Animator
13 Conversations About One thing
Salo
L'Auberge Espagnole (The Spanish Apartment)
He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not
Happenstance

Ridicule (A great French Drama)
City of God (A ganster film set in the Brazilian slums)
Bubba Hotep (Elvis vs. the Mummy)
Samurai Trilogy (Staring the late great Toshiro Mufune)
Kwaidan (4 ghost stories set in 16th Japan)
Cinema Paradiso (Boy grows up in the movie theater)
Tatie Danielle (One of the funnest and blackest comedies I have ever seen)
Amarcord (The is the first Fellini movie you should start with- There are dubbed versions of this movie available)

Thats all for now. I'm sure I will think of a few more later on.

brain donors
hudsucker proxy
crimewave
the emperor and the assassin
rapid fire (cheesy but i enjoy brandon lee)

... just a few off the top of my head

Among the movies on my list:

City of God
Bus 174
Napoleon Dynamite
The Devil's Backbone - Guillermo Del Toro, who directed Hellboy, also directed this
Stevie - Great documentary
Capturing the Freidman's - Another excellent documentary
Touching the Void
Bottle Rocket
I'm not Scared - From Italy, a great suspense thriller shot in one of the most beautiful countrysides I've ever seen
The Mayor of Sunset Strip - Yet another documentary about LA radio legend/pop culture icon Rodney Bingenheimer
Spider - Cronenberg directing Ralph Fiennes in a great story
Strange Days - also starring Fiennes
American Splendor - About independent comic book genius Harvey Pekar

The Princess Blade - Amazing movie. Dark and gritty (and I normally don't like movies like that.)
pblade4.jpg

http://www.theprincessblade.com/
http://www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/princessblade.htm

Most of mine have already been mentioned, but here are a few I didn't see listed (most from the 80s):

Bagdad Cafe
Sugarbaby
Vampire's Kiss
Heathers (ok, not so obscure, but worth mentioning)
Mermaids (also not terribly obscure, but I don't many people gave this one a chance. I liked it a lot)

I keep meaning to see Irreversible. Looked interesting, to say the least. I've also been really interested in seeing Equilibrium and Bubba Ho-Tep. Maybe I'll actually buy Bubba Ho-Tep sometime soon. And as long as movies like Memento and Donnie Darko count, I'll have to add Mulholland Drive. Awesome movie.

Buffalo 66
Samauri Fiction
SLC Punk
Requim for a Dream(I run into alot of people at work who don't know this one)
Go

i'm not entirely sure how some of you are putting these movies in the "no one has ever heard of them" category. that's like me saying i really like "amelie" or "the big lebowski" in this thread, but we know that those movies are very well known.

either way, here are some of my favorites:

-happiness
-happiness of the katakuris (i also own ichi the killer and audition, but this one is just so nutty, it's great)
-dancer in the dark (starring bjork)
-doggville (by the same director as dancer in the dark, came out earlier this year, stars nicole kidman, may not be that under the radar)
-living in oblivion
-wild zero (this movie destroys)
-dirty work (the norm macdonald movie from a few years ago, this one might be fairly well known, but i don't think it's very well liked)
-ghost world (even though by now everyone knows about this film)
-the triplets of belleville (it wasn't very well known until they had that bit on the oscars about it)
-battle royale (i figured i'd throw it in, even though it's huge)

there's more, but it doesn't really matter.

i used to like buffalo 66, but i have a personal problem with vincent gallo so i can't watch it anymore. i also like christina ricci's roles in pumpkin and the opposite of sex. i hate slc punk. i finally saw city of god yesterday and it was great. i don't think memento and donnie darko should count.

YES, YES, Noises Off is really hillarious. Anyone that hasn't seen it should go out and rent it, make sure to watch it with at least a couple other people.

Session 9 is pretty darn creepy, but a little slow moving

[quote name='Squirms']Ordinary Decent Criminal
Equilibrium
Igby Goes Down
Memento
Reefer Madness
City of God[/quote]

I hated "Igby Goes Down". To me, there is nothing more boring than watching a spoil rotten rich kid deal with life.

I'll give you thumbs up for City of God and Memento though.

Rounders(guess everyone knows what this is since poker is huge right now)
Things to do in denver when you're dead
Full Time Killer
Minus Man

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Memento
Donnie Darko
Returner
Chasing Amy
Grind
Castle in the Sky[/quote]

I've seen Memento on a few lists already. Its a great movie, but not really unknown, most everyone I've talked to about it has seen it or atleast knows what it is. Chasing Amy is definitely not an unknown, it was huge when it came out.

Love & Sex (My favorite movie of all time. It doesn't get better than this.)
The Transporter (Kinda iffy. Some people have seen it and most haven't.)
Stalaga 17 (Old black and white movie about a german POW camp during WW2.)
The Smokers
Tart
Lawn Dogs
Stealing Beauty (An older movie with Liv Tyler. I saw it ages ago on IFC and haven't ever seen it again or seen it for sale.)
Comedian (The Jerry Seinfeld/Orny Adams movie. Great movie if you are even somewhat interested in becoming a stand up comic.)

Forgot to add Relax... It's Just Sex.

Oh and Secretary. Not sure if it is unknown. But I haven't ever met anyone who has heard of it.

[quote name='Aryss']The Blood of Heroes. I have never met another person that has ever heard of it but I love it.[/quote]

Ah, Rutger Hauer. I had completely forgotten about this movie until I read your post. Definitely deserves to be on this list. Kudos.

American Desi. It's an Indian-American romantic comedy (with more emphasis on "comedy" than the "romance") Funny as hell. Stars the guy who plays Kumar in Harold and Kumar too.

...Now waiting for the crickets to chirp or tumbleweed to pass by... >=J

If you are a fan of the "repeating day" movies like Groundhog Day", give "12:01" a try if you can find it.

wow somebody else who likes Way Of The Gun! im surprised, after the shit thatRotten Tomatoes has on their site about it (10/100)

gotta love Parker And Longbaugh.

*So Close*

I watched that movie so many times on satellite, then went out and bought it on dvd, i love that movie. Vicky Zhao is so hot :)

Here are some of my not-so-well known flicks:
Bean (I can't believe how many people never heard of this awesome comedy!)
Boiler Room (A little knowm movie w/ Vin Diesel clean cut & nice and Ben Affleck as an @$$whole- what a shift in gears! Affleck isn't in it that long, but I think he needs to play more bad guys.)
Cat Soup (The strangest animated feature -or any feature for that matter- ever. It almost make Pink Floyd: The Wall look normal)
Equlibrium (It's been recommended, but it is really an awesome Sci-Fi flick)
Ghosts of the Abyss (Great documentary on the Titanic)
Major Payne (Probably considered well known, but I had to put it on my list)
Multiplicity (All I have to say is......#4! If you've seen this movie you'll know what I'm talkin about)
Mystery, Alaska (Great hockey movie, for true hockey fans)
Ringu (the Japanese movie that "The Ring" was based off of)
Salton Sea (One of Val Kilmer's best movies- besides Tombstone & the Doors)
Super Troopers (Has a laaarge cult following, but I wouldn't cosider it that well known. Funny Ass Movie!)
The Eye (Awesome Japanese Suspense-Thriller movie. If you like Ringu, then you'll love this move!)

I've been interested in Donnie Darko & Since everyone is mentioning it, I'm going to have to go out and rent it now.

[quote name='ctice44']
Multiplicity (All I have to say is......#4! If you've seen this movie you'll know what I'm talkin about)
[/quote]

'Hey sss-teve!"

I'll second
The Eye (you can get the US version pretty easy)
Go (you can get this on dvd pretty cheap)
frequency (great time travel movie)

and I'll add Batman Byond:Return of Joker. Get the uncut version, and you'll see why this is the 2nd best batman movie ever made. And for all the kids too young to remember I'll add Meatballs. Classic Bill Murray.

It doesn't really matter!! It doesn't really matter!!...

I'm going through this topic and saying to myself, "I know a lot of these movies." But yeah, The Eye is from Hong Kong not Japan.

Two I havn't seen yet are:

Dr. Suess's The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T - Long before Cat in the Hat was sucking up movie theaters everywhere, this movie was released. Anyone who likes musicals whould definitely check it out.

Iron Monkey - Made long before Crouching Tiger, Quentin brought it to America where it recieved way less attention, which is a damn shame, because it's much better, IMO. The most beautifully choreographed fights I've ever seen.

[quote name='Darkwebs']I thought The Eye was a Chinese film, not a Japanese one.[/quote]

The director is from Thailand, not sure where he produced the movie though.

Also check out his first movie, Bangkok Dangerous. Awesome action flick

bread's done
Back