Ys ark of napishtim psp $29.99 shipped

Can anyone describe the difference between the PSP/PS2 versions, if there is a difference at all?

[quote name='cleaver']Stupid question: does gamestop.com charge tax?[/QUOTE]

Nope

I went ahead and placed an order. If it offically drops to $29.99 Ill just cancel and pick it up locally. Thanks OP

[quote name='Hair6a11']Can anyone describe the difference between the PSP/PS2 versions, if there is a difference at all?[/QUOTE]

I just checked IGN, they mentioned that the characters in the psp version appear to be hand-drawn instead of 3D. Doesn't seem like enough of a reason to buy a second version.

GameStop.com charges tax on orders shipped to New York and Texas.

[quote name='guessed']I just checked IGN, they mentioned that the characters in the psp version appear to be hand-drawn instead of 3D. Doesn't seem like enough of a reason to buy a second version.

GameStop.com charges tax on orders shipped to New York and Texas.[/QUOTE]

Maybe that's the reason for the looooong delay at this point.

[quote name='Hair6a11']Can anyone describe the difference between the PSP/PS2 versions, if there is a difference at all?[/QUOTE]

"The characters themselves are dwarf-like renderings that are truer to the version in the PC game. Fans of the series will be happy to see these little touches because considering the fact that there was a little controversy over the portrayals of the characters when the game came to the PS2. Fans weren't happy the fact 3D shiny version Konami turned out. Now the characters look more hand drawn. The background textures are also flatter than the PS2 version, but it meshes better with the simple character design employed here.

Also, Konami has realized how special the music in Ys is to the fans of the series and have dedicated an entire mode to the feature. You can listen to the music exclusively in the Ys Jukebox mode. Konami knows where its bread is buttered and that means keeping the fans happy with their beloved series. Nice touches like this show real class on Konami's part."

Taken from psp.ign.com

Also, I think there is far less actual voice work and more text in the psp version.

Not-so-good games tend to become fun games when it's just you, your handheld and the sound of an airplane's engine for 10+ hour trips... =)

[quote name='guessed']I just checked IGN, they mentioned that the characters in the psp version appear to be hand-drawn instead of 3D. Doesn't seem like enough of a reason to buy a second version.[/QUOTE]
Believe it or not, for many hardcore Ys fans (like myself), that may be reason enough, actually. A lot of fans were very upset that the awesome character sprites from the PC version were replaced with 3D models in the PS2 port.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Believe it or not, for many hardcore Ys fans (like myself), that may be reason enough, actually. A lot of fans were very upset that the awesome character sprites from the PC version were replaced with 3D models in the PS2 port.[/QUOTE]

I still haven't had a chance to open and play my copy of Ys, so I may change my mind.

[quote name='cleaver']Another stupid question: you've got to use the cheapest shipping option for free shipping, right?[/QUOTE]

yes, the USA value shipping. ($1.99)

[quote name='nikkai']Not-so-good games tend to become fun games when it's just you, your handheld and the sound of an airplane's engine for 10+ hour trips... =)[/QUOTE]
And awesome games like Ys VI are even better. I don't know what these "not-so-good games" you're referring to are, but certainly, you're not talking about Ys. ;)

tetris is the classic example, ill NEVER play tetris at home, but during school/trip....

man, i really want to try the france 100-foot tetris thing, they have a building that normally display countdowns or time, but you can play tetris on it too, you control it with your cellphone.

[quote name='omegaweapon7']tetris is the classic example, ill NEVER play tetris at home, but during school/trip....

man, i really want to try the france 100-foot tetris thing, they have a building that normally display countdowns or time, but you can play tetris on it too, you control it with your cellphone.[/QUOTE]

You're not a true game until you've played Tetris on the can.

Nice deal OP!

Hmm... well im torn.

Does it matter if theres "less voice work" for the psp version? Somehow Im guessing that fact doesnt out weigh the character modeling difference - perhaps I answered my own question

Y's PSP> Y's PS2! I think ;) anyone else want to chime in on this issue? I hate purchasing the *wrong/less worthy* versions of games , so to speak.

There's no such thing as a stupid question........ just stupid people that ask those questions :)

[quote name='Hair6a11']Y's PSP> Y's PS2! I think ;) anyone else want to chime in on this issue? I hate purchasing the *wrong/less worthy* versions of games , so to speak.[/QUOTE]
Picky, random fanboy note, but it's spelled "Ys,"not "Y's." ;)

Oh, and if you want the *best* version of Ark of Napishtim, you'll need to import the original PC version from Japan. Or wait and see if Konami ever brings that over here, too.

I've already played through and beaten Ys VI twice on the PS2 version... it's a really cool game, though not a long one (around ten hours, maybe more or less depending on whether you hunt down all the equipment). The main pro to the PSP version is that it's 1) portable and 2) will have the original art.... however, that comes at a price: you're going to lose the PS2 version's excellent voice acting--it's really top notch stuff, and considering EVERY character is voiced (even the NPCs that populate the towns) it's kinda a shame to lose it.

I don't know... there were some tiny platforms you had to jump onto in the PS2 version... some of those would seem to be almost ridiculously small on the PSP screen.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Picky, random fanboy note, but it's spelled "Ys,"not "Y's." ;)

Oh, and if you want the *best* version of Ark of Napishtim, you'll need to import the original PC version from Japan. Or wait and see if Konami ever brings that over here, too.[/QUOTE]

on the contrary, on most of the y's games they spell it Y's. at least they do for y's 4 for the duo and superfami, Y's V and Y's V expert for the super fami.

I think they have y's v for the ps2 with an apostrophe as well.

No, but they do charge shipping so this may be inaccurate.

[quote name='dracula']on the contrary, on most of the y's games they spell it Y's. at least they do for y's 4 for the duo and superfami, Y's V and Y's V expert for the super fami.

I think they have y's v for the ps2 with an apostrophe as well.[/QUOTE]

http://www.noppo.com/ysbook/ys/ys_soft.html

Nope, no apostrophes on this Japanese fansite list.

I was looking at my friend's copies of Ys Book I+II for Turbo CD and Ys III for Super Famicom (not the SNES version), and they are quite apostrophe-less.

Reason being is that Ys is the name of a place, not a possessive. As Nintendo Power once put it, it is pronounced "eess"....at least, I think that's how they said it was pronounced, since the Japanese is "Iisu."

[quote name='Lupin the Third']Nope, no apostrophes on this Japanese fansite list.

I was looking at my friend's copies of Ys Book I+II for Turbo CD and Ys III for Super Famicom (not the SNES version), and they are quite apostrophe-less.

Reason being is that Ys is the name of a place, not a possessive. As Nintendo Power once put it, it is pronounced "eess"....at least, I think that's how they said it was pronounced, since the Japanese is "Iisu."[/QUOTE]
Thank you. I was going to correct him myself, but you saved me the trouble. :mrgreen:

And now for some picture proof. Here's the cart of Ys IV for Super Famicom, and the box for Ys V for the SFC, and there are no apostrophies. As Lupin said, Ys is a place, not a posessive. A lot of people get it confused, it's no big deal.

ysivca018qh.jpg
ysv5dv.jpg

[quote name='suko_32']I love the music in these games.[/QUOTE]
Me too. Who (who has played the game) doesn't? :) It's great stuff.

I remember the uproar when Konami almost went and changed the music for the PS2 version of VI...and it was, indeed, justified unrest. Such good music must not be tampered with.

What does the PC version have over the PS2 and PSP versions?

Plus, are there any linkup goodies between the two? I thought I heard something about that.

bread's done
Back