NBA rejects EA's initial bid for exclusivity

Ruined

CAGiversary!
http://sports.ign.com/articles/574/574539p1.html?fromint=1

December 20, 2004 - Last week, Electronic Arts, the NFL, and Players Inc. sent shockwaves throughout the gaming industry as they announced an unprecedented five-year exclusivity partnership. But it looks like Electronic Arts had even bigger plans as they also bid on exclusive arrangements with the NBA. Sources have told me, however, that the NBA has rejected EA's initial offer.

hmm think its time for me to invest in another NBA game, wats the best non-EA arcade-style NBA game?

[quote name='Ruined']hmm think its time for me to invest in another NBA game, wats the best non-EA arcade-style NBA game?[/quote]

NBA Ballers.

Oh no, EA is simply doing what any business would do, trying to make a profit. How dare they. Their employees certainly don't want the bonus.

*shrugs*

[quote name='Death2Sanity']Oh no, EA is simply doing what any business would do, trying to make a profit. How dare they. Their employees certainly don't want the bonus.

*shrugs*[/quote]

Bonus? EA employees apparently aren't getting paid their normal work hours in a timely fashion, nevermind bonus :)

Well if they do get the NBA, this will prove that EA is trying to create a monopoly, which means that the government can step in and stop them. I hope the NBA doesn't sellout, since I don't wanna pay $60 for a basketball game next year. We got lucky this year with the $20 price tag and the Coke $10 off and free shipping codes.

[quote name='Death2Sanity']Oh no, EA is simply doing what any business would do, trying to make a profit. How dare they. Their employees certainly don't want the bonus.

*shrugs*[/quote]

exactly how i feel....i dont understand ppl getting mad at ea over business moves...i dont like the fact that ea treats their employees badly, but thats a different story..

....if i was a huge company and i could make more money by making exclusive deals, i know i would do it and so would everyone else....so, why bash on ea....i hope they get the NBA deal in spite of all the people who have chosen to bash smart business practice

[quote name='tholly'][quote name='Death2Sanity']Oh no, EA is simply doing what any business would do, trying to make a profit. How dare they. Their employees certainly don't want the bonus.

*shrugs*[/quote]

exactly how i feel....i dont understand ppl getting mad at ea over business moves...i dont like the fact that ea treats their employees badly, but thats a different story..

....if i was a huge company and i could make more money by making exclusive deals, i know i would do it and so would everyone else....so, why bash on ea....i hope they get the NBA deal in spite of all the people who have chosen to bash smart business practice[/quote]

ill say it as i have in every thread where for some reason people dont understand the backlash.

consumers like choices. it creates better products and lower prices.
no one is saying ea is making bad decisions, but they are making decisions that are very dangerous to the video game industry as a whole.

There is a Differnces between Good for business and Good for the Consumer

EA owning sol rights the the NFL is very bad for the Consumer.

By EA being the ONLY game that is allowed to uses the NFL they have a ticket for the next 5 years to do NOTHING. they don't have to do any upgrades or add any new content. they can just sit back and just change the year on the same game for the next 5 years because they are the ONLY game that can uses the NFL.

eliminating your compatition is BAD for the Consumer .

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='tholly'][quote name='Death2Sanity']Oh no, EA is simply doing what any business would do, trying to make a profit. How dare they. Their employees certainly don't want the bonus.

*shrugs*[/quote]

....if i was a huge company and i could make more money by making exclusive deals, i know i would do it and so would everyone else....so, why bash on ea....i hope they get the NBA deal in spite of all the people who have chosen to bash smart business practice[/quote]

ill say it as i have in every thread where for some reason people dont understand the backlash.

no one is saying ea is making bad decisions, but they are making decisions that are very dangerous to the video game industry as a whole.[/quote]

eh....they're only sports games....they're all the same anyway...who needs choices

[quote name='tholly']
eh....they're only sports games....they're all the same anyway...who needs choices[/quote]

so your rebut to my statement is "who cares?"
clearly alot of gamers do, in case you havent seen how many people are pissed off.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='tholly'][quote name='Death2Sanity']Oh no, EA is simply doing what any business would do, trying to make a profit. How dare they. Their employees certainly don't want the bonus.

*shrugs*[/quote]

no one is saying ea is making bad decisions, but they are making decisions that are very dangerous to the video game industry as a whole.[/quote]

While I understand where you're coming from, I don't quite agree.

You're right, choices are key to the consumer. It keeps the market healthy, and the consumer happy. However, EA is not monopolizing the sports video game industry. They are acquiring the names which some people are unable to look beyond for a good game. That is, the official team and player names.

Take football/soccer. FIFA is licensed. Winning Eleven is not. The better game, from everything I've heard though, is Winning Eleven. It is not necessary to have the players/teams licenses in order to make a sports game, let alone a good sports game.

The ball is now in Sega's court, so to speak...or whoever wants to make a sports game. Make one better than EA's, even if you don't have the names. I only play the college games, so I'm used to typing names in.

If EA were the only company allowed to make sports games, then I'd be crying foul. But you can't buy the rights to a sport, only its names. Names do not make a game.

No choices = Shitty over-priced game.

Would you buy Madden 2007 for $70 on the PS3, N5 or Xbox2 if it looked like Madden 2003 from the PS2?

Seriously. First off, I love sports games. Secondly, EA is not eliminating the competition. If the masses are too ignorant to look beyond the fancy NFL seal, that's their problem. EA will try to rest on their laurels, and the masses will eventually realize that the games are stagnating. Meanwhile, somebody else will be making a cheaper, better sports game that will grab the public's eye. Even better, no licensing fees will have been necessary, making the price even lower.

EA is trying to do good business for itself. It's up to the industry to respond, and up to the consumer to choose.

Just don't call something a monopoly when it's not, or a company evil for trying to do what any company would do.

[quote name='Death2Sanity']They are acquiring the names which some people are unable to look beyond for a good game. That is, the official team and player names.[/quote]

do you seriously think sega or anyone else can compete with one of the best football games on the market having such an exclusive contract?

if i thought they could, i wouldnt care, because sega owns ea in football, but i doubt sega can compete. its like taking them out at the knees. telling someone they can make their product, just dont include the letters A, E, or I.

[quote name='Death2Sanity'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='tholly'][quote name='Death2Sanity']Oh no, EA is simply doing what any business would do, trying to make a profit. How dare they. Their employees certainly don't want the bonus.

*shrugs*[/quote]

While I understand where you're coming from, I don't quite agree.

You're right, choices are key to the consumer. It keeps the market healthy, and the consumer happy. However, EA is not monopolizing the sports video game industry. They are acquiring the names which some people are unable to look beyond for a good game. That is, the official team and player names.

Take football/soccer. FIFA is licensed. Winning Eleven is not. The better game, from everything I've heard though, is Winning Eleven. It is not necessary to have the players/teams licenses in order to make a sports game, let alone a good sports game.

The ball is now in Sega's court, so to speak...or whoever wants to make a sports game. Make one better than EA's, even if you don't have the names. I only play the college games, so I'm used to typing names in.

If EA were the only company allowed to make sports games, then I'd be crying foul. But you can't buy the rights to a sport, only its names. Names do not make a game.[/quote]

That's because people here don't give a rat's ass about soccer playes, I bet 90% of people wouldn't even know if the players were real or not. Here in the USA we know our professional teams and players and like to play as them.

And the realy bitch is, EA also has the largest marketshare on football games that could survive without a license, NFL Street, i mean, you take the stars away and that game is still NFL street.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='Death2Sanity']They are acquiring the names which some people are unable to look beyond for a good game. That is, the official team and player names.[/quote]

do you seriously think sega or anyone else can compete with one of the best football games on the market having such an exclusive contract?

if i thought they could, i wouldnt care, because sega owns ea in football, but i doubt sega can compete. its like taking them out at the knees. telling someone they can make their product, just dont include the letters A, E, or I.[/quote]

As long as it's one of the best football games on the market, then it won't be much competition to begin with.

No, I don't, but I don't see that as EA's problem. I see that as the problem that the marketing execs will have to face within Sega Inc. It can be done, but it'll take some effort. But, if EA is making no effort, as everybody seems to think they will behave...then it can be done. I think so, anyway.

And, in all seriousness...even if it IS Madden, the public will balk at a $70 game. Just ask Nintendo circa N64 era.

Yeah, I live in the US too...but, uh, if you're so desperate to play with the players, then you can shell out the extra $20 that people seem to think EA will charge. I'll stick with the game that PLAYS better, and 'pretend' they're the real players if I have to. What does it really matter whose name is below the player? Besides, what football game DOESN'T let you alter player names?

First they take NFL 2K6 away from me. Now, they are trying to take the best hoops game of the past 5 years away from me too? Those bastards!!! If nothing else(and I'm totally against any monopoly), I'd say it'd be wise if Sega spent big bucks and bought out the NBA themselves. Expensive, but it would be a counter attack to EA. Is it just me, or does anyone else think if you give EA a lil' more time, they'll be building a console to compete with Sony, MS & Nintendo. Look at it - if they buy every 3rd party up, then they could easily pull support from those other 3 to support their own console.

[quote name='CapAmerica']No choices = Shitty over-priced game.

Would you buy Madden 2007 for $70 on the PS3, N5 or Xbox2 if it looked like Madden 2003 from the PS2?[/quote]

personally....for me to buy a sports game it has to be less than $5....usually lower...and even then its only cuz i dont have the game, so no choices mean less game that i have to buy to complete a collection.....which is fine by me

Bottom line SEGA, sits on the sidelines as someone who can run a business makes a smart move which will run SEGA out of the sports market.

[quote name='gmzone']First they take NFL 2K6 away from me. Now, they are trying to take the best hoops game of the past 5 years away from me too? Those bastards!!! If nothing else(and I'm totally against any monopoly), I'd say it'd be wise if Sega spent big bucks and bought out the NBA themselves. Expensive, but it would be a counter attack to EA. Is it just me, or does anyone else think if you give EA a lil' more time, they'll be building a console to compete with Sony, MS & Nintendo. Look at it - if they buy every 3rd party up, then they could easily pull support from those other 3 to support their own console.[/quote]

do you really think sega would make enough money off that NBA deal to make their money back....its only one sport.....they wont ... it would be a waste of money for them...and if the game sucked they would have spent a whole hell of a lot of money on nothing

I'm not saying EA is doing good for the video game market. I can't argue with those people who think EA is harming the market because maybe they are. Competition is supposed to spark innovation, and I have hope it will happen in this case too...but there is the chance everybody else will just give up.

What bothers me are the people who think EA is being a jackass or whatever. EA is just doing what any company would and should do, try to get a leg up on its competition. You can't fault them for that...well, unless you're anti-capitalism, in which case you're not a big fan of any of the corporations out there, I'm assuming. And that's your choice. But at least you're not being selectively outraged in that case.

maybe this whole thing is actually helping the consumer....if EA buys up the rights to a sport (ex. NFL)...then other companies will have to become innovative and improve their games to compete with the names that EA bought, thus making EA work harder with this liscense, thus providing the consumer with more games, better options, and better developed games

[quote name='tholly']maybe this whole thing is actually helping the consumer....if EA buys up the rights to a sport (ex. NFL)...then other companies will have to become innovative and improve their games to compete with the names that EA bought, thus making EA work harder with this liscense, thus providing the consumer with more games, better options, and better developed games[/quote]

That's how it's supposed to work, at least. If every time one company scores a leg-up as big as EA's, every other company just gave up, then there wouldn't be much innovation at all.

EA made a strong move, but a perfectly legal one. I'm curious to see what comes of it.

[quote name='Death2Sanity']I'm not saying EA is doing good for the video game market.

EA is just doing what any company would and should do, try to get a leg up on its competition. [/quote]

just because they are savy and rich dosent mean everyone should love them. you said it yourself, they are hurting the industry, and the industry dosent need the cancer known as EA

NBA will not go exclusive. They already showed the NBA when they dominate the market, they totally slack off and make shitty games.

One has no farther to look than Pro Wrestling to see that lack of competitors lessens the product value, henceforth lowering the number of consumers. During the peak of the Monday night wars, 20 million households were tuning in for either Nitro or Raw. Now It's down to 3-4 million.

[quote name='Death2Sanity']As long as it's one of the best football games on the market, then it won't be much competition to begin with.

No, I don't, but I don't see that as EA's problem. I see that as the problem that the marketing execs will have to face within Sega Inc. It can be done, but it'll take some effort. But, if EA is making no effort, as everybody seems to think they will behave...then it can be done. I think so, anyway.[/quote]

I think you have some serious flaws in your argument. Namely the fact that you seem to be insisting that Madden is "one of the best football games". Maybe it's "one of the best", but it certainly isn't THE best - for a few years now, Sega Sports' football games have gotten better scores across the boards, and this year ESPN Football cost less than half the price.

Yeah, it's not EA's problem. It's our problem. EA hasn't improved any of their big franchises in any significant way since 2001, with the exception of the addition of online modes. EA hasn't made an effort to really improve their titles in a while, whereas Sega has, and Sega still sells shitty.

Not only can most people not see past the NFL licensing, they can't see past the damned Madden brand.

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']One has no farther to look than Pro Wrestling to see that lack of competitors lessens the product value, henceforth lowering the number of consumers. During the peak of the Monday night wars, 20 million households were tuning in for either Nitro or Raw. Now It's down to 3-4 million.[/quote]

you cant blame that on a video game

people are probably just loosing interest

wrestling was awesome when i was little...now its just a joke of a man's soap opera, which is why i quit watching it....it became TOO fake

hopefully its gonna be a dying fad that has been around way to long already

Jesus, I can't believe EA had the audacity to try and monopolize the BBall market too....thank god it fell through.....for now at least
:(
VVVVVVVVVV

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='Death2Sanity']I'm not saying EA is doing good for the video game market.

EA is just doing what any company would and should do, try to get a leg up on its competition. [/quote]

just because they are savy and rich dosent mean everyone should love them. you said it yourself, they are hurting the industry, and the industry dosent need the cancer known as EA[/quote]

we have to wait until the next season of games comes out before you can say that they are hurting the industry

[quote name='tholly'][quote name='AdamInPlaidum']One has no farther to look than Pro Wrestling to see that lack of competitors lessens the product value, henceforth lowering the number of consumers. During the peak of the Monday night wars, 20 million households were tuning in for either Nitro or Raw. Now It's down to 3-4 million.[/quote]

you cant blame that on a video game

people are probably just loosing interest

wrestling was awesome when i was little...now its just a joke of a man's soap opera, which is why i quit watching it....it became TOO fake

hopefully its gonna be a dying fad that has been around way to long already[/quote]

Um...I'm not blaming it on a video game, I'm blaming it on lack of competition.

bread's done
Back