The best underplayed/underappreciated games? - Dreamcast and GB/GBC posted

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (100%)
I am working on a massive project to put together a list of as many under-appreciated games as possible. The list is going to consist of console games from the NES to the PS2/GC/Xbox era and hand held games from the Gameboy to the DS/PSP era. Even if it takes me several years I want to make a truly comprehensive list covering them all! So I am wondering what games you guys feel fit in this category? Name as many as possible for as many systems as possible because I want them all listed!

I am using the definition of underplayed/under appreciated a bit liberally though so include stuff like Sly Cooper, Comix Zone and Etrian Odyssey which are less obscure to gamers in addition to games that are truly obscure such as Blazing Dragons or Lufia 2. Think of it this way, if its something your average gamer does not know about I want it named.

GB/GBC list
----------------------------------------
Toki Tori - GBC
Adventures of Lolo
Aerostar
Alice in Wonderland
Amazing Penguin
Asterix: Search for Dogmatix
Avenging Spirit
Ballistic
Balloon Kid / Balloon Fight GB
Banishing Racer
Battle Arena Toshinden
Battle Crusher
Battle Unit Zeoth
Blaster Master Boy / Jr. / Bomber King 2
Blaster Master: Enemy Below
Bomberman Max Red/Blue
Bomberman Quest
Boomer's Adventure in ASMIK World
Bubble Ghost
Bugs Bunny in Crazy Castle
Commander Keen
CosmoTank
Croc 2
Crystalis
Daikatana
Dead Heat Scramble
Dexter’s Laboratory: Robot Rampage
Dexterity
Disney’s Tarzan
Disney’s The Jungle Book: Mowgli’s Wild Adventure
Disney’s The Lion King: Simba’s Mighty Adventure
Disney's Tarzan
Disney's The Little Mermaid II Pinball Frenzy
Donald Duck: Goin’ Quackers
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 2
Donkey Kong Land 3
Dr. Franken 1 & 2
Dragon Dance
Dropzone Color
E.T. Escape from Planet Earth
Faceball 2000
Fighting Simulator 2-in-1: Flying Warriors
Flipull
Gamera
Gargoyle’s Quest
Gourmet Paradise
Hammerin’ Harry: Ghost Building Company
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Heiankyo Alien
Hype: The Time Quest
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Inspector Gadget
James Bond 007
Kid Dracula
Kid Icarus
Kirby Tilty and Tumble
Kirbys block ball
Kung-Fu Master
Legend of the River King 2
Lock ‘n Chase
Lock n' Chase
Logical
Looney Tunes
Looney Tunes Collector: Alert!
Looney Tunes: Carrot Crazy
Looney Tunes: Marvin Strikes Back!
Looney Tunes: Twouble!
Lufia: The Legend Returns
Magi Nation
Magical Chase
Magical Tetris Challenge
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Matchbox Emergency Patrol
Metal Walker
Mickey’s Speedway USA
Mickys Racing Adventure
Micro Machines 1 and 2: Twin Turbo
Micro Machines V3
Microsoft Puzzle Collection
Minder 2049er
Mole Mania
Monster Max
Monster Rancher Explorer
Montezuma’s Return
Nail ‘n Scale
Nemesis 2
Nettou King of Fighters ’96
Ninja Spirit
Noobow
Power Quest
Project S-11
Puzzle Master
Qix
Quarth
Racin’ Ratz
Rats!
Revelations: The Demon Slayer
Revenge of the Gator
Rolan's Curse
Sabrina the Animated Series: Zapped!
Sagaia
Scooby-Doo! Classic Creep Capers
Shanghai
Shanghai Pocket
Shantae
Snoopy Tennis
Snoopy: Magic Show
Solar Strike
Solomons Club
Space Marauder
Spanky’s Quest
Spy vs spy
Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors' Dreams
Survival Kids
The Lion King: Simba's Mighty Adventure
The Mummy
The Simpsons: Night of the Living Treehouse of Horror
Toki Tori
Top Gear Pocket 2
Trax
Trip World
Trouballs
Tumble Pop
Tweety’s High-Flying Adventure
Vattle Giuce
Wacky Races
Walt Disney's The Jungle Book: Mowgli's Wild Adventure
Wendy: Every Witch Way
Woody Woodpecker Racing
World Heroes 2 Jet
Worms Armageddon

Dreamcast list
----------------------------------
4 Wheel Thunder
Aero Wings 2
Alien Front Online
Armada
Armada
BANG! Gunship Elite
Bangai-O
Cannon Spike
Carrier
Coaster Works
Confidential Mission
Cool Cool Toon
D2
Deep Fighter: The Tsunami Offense
Demolition Racer: No Exit
Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm
Elemental Gimmick Gear
Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves
Frame Gride
Gauntlet Legends
Giga Wing
Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise from the Ashes
Heavy Metal: Geomatrix
Illbleed
iron Aces
Jet Grind Radio
Last Blade 2
Maken X
Mars Matrix: Hyper Solid Shooting
Omikron: The Nomad Soul
Ooga Booga
Outtrigger
Pen Pen TriIcelon
Power Stone 1 and 2
Project Justice
Psychic Force 2012
Record of Lodoss Wars
Red Dog: Superior Firepower
Rippin' Riders
Samba de Amigo
Seaman
Sega Bass Fishing 2
Speed Devils
Speed Devils Online Racing
Sports Jam
Super Magnetic Neo
sword of the berserk
Tech Romancer
Tee Off
The Last Blade 2: Heart of the Samurai
Toy Commander
Vampire Chronicle
Vanishing Point
Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram
zombie revenge

Last edited by a moderator:
Mister Mosquito, Everblue 2 for PS2, Cubivore on GC, I'll think of some more later. Are imports allowable? Cool list, by the way. I love kinda cool obscure games.

Gameboy:
Boomer's Adventure in ASMIK World
CosmoTank
Revenge of the Gator (Pinball)

N64:
Battletanx (2): Global Assault
Blast Corps

Genesis:
Gain Ground (now on PS2 and 360 Genesis compilation discs)
Herzog Zwei
Star Control

[quote name='Trillian']Mister Mosquito, Everblue 2 for PS2, Cubivore on GC, I'll think of some more later. Are imports allowable? Cool list, by the way. I love kinda cool obscure games.[/QUOTE]

Nice to see someone other then me has played and enjoyed Mister Mosquito! Sorry though no imports!

XBox: Gunvalkyrie, Phantom Dust, Raze's Hell, Steel Battalion
PS2: Breath of Fire V, Godhand, Okami
Genesis: Ranger X, Gunstar Heroes

[quote name='Kerig']Gain Ground (now on PS2 and 360 Genesis compilation discs)[/QUOTE]
It's also on Virtual Console, IIRC.

Dreamcast:
Record of Lodoss War

DS:
Front Mission
Korg DS-10 Synthesizer (technically not a game, though)
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (also on PS1, but in a different form. Don't know much about that version)
Rondo of Swords

PS2:
Okage: Shadow King
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

Also, this is not a console game, but I feel that the PC management sim Startopia is really under-appreciated.

[quote name='looploop']XBox: Gunvalkyrie, Phantom Dust, Raze's Hell, Steel Battalion
PS2: Breath of Fire V, Godhand, Okami
Genesis: Ranger X, Gunstar Heroes[/QUOTE]

Good suggestions! I had the PS2 games, Gunstar and GunValk down but had forgotten the rest!

[quote name='blueshinra']It's also on Virtual Console, IIRC.

Dreamcast:
Record of Lodoss War

DS:
Front Mission
Korg DS-10 Synthesizer (technically not a game, though)
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (also on PS1, but in a different form. Don't know much about that version)
Rondo of Swords

PS2:
Okage: Shadow King
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

Also, this is not a console game, but I feel that the PC management sim Startopia is really under-appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Again good suggestions! knew most of them but I am still impressed that people are coming up with stuff like Okage vs just better known stuff like Star Ocean!

As for Sim Startopia and PC games. Sorry, but not doing PC games right now. I am focusing on console games which to create the list, play most of these games and then write about each of them is probaly going to be a 1-4 year task anyways ;) When I finish I might take on doing one for PCs!

Virtually any game made by....
220px-TREASURE-Co.jpg

The F-Zero franchise.

I can prattle on for a long while about unappreciated games, but to keep it short and sweet here's two that have been on my mind lately:

-Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth (Xbox)
-Sonic CD (Sega CD)

[quote name='eastshore4']I can prattle on for a long while about unappreciated games, but to keep it short and sweet here's two that have been on my mind lately:

-Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth (Xbox)
-Sonic CD (Sega CD)[/QUOTE]

Well if you do not have the time do not worry about it...but if at some point you do have the time then please, prattle on! Need as much help as I can get with this!

There are tons and tons... off the top of my head:

Half Minute Hero (PSP)
Uniracers (SNES)
Milon's Secret Castle (NES)
Beyond Good & Evil (GCN)
Crystalis (NES)

not sure if they were underappreciated but I'm always recommending Panzer Dragoon Orta for the xbox to people... and FZero for SNES sucked up an entire college year.

Rez (PS2, 360)
Sin & Punishment (N64 import, Wii VC)
Picross and Picross 3D (DS)
Ace Attorney series (DS/Wii VC/iPhone)
Baten Kaitos (GC)

Short list for now, maybe I'll post others as they come to mind.

ICO and Beyond Good & Evil are two games that always come to mind whenever I see a topic like this. And I'll add another one: Valkyria Chronicles.

[quote name='confoosious']not sure if they were underappreciated but I'm always recommending Panzer Dragoon Orta for the xbox to people... and FZero for SNES sucked up an entire college year.[/QUOTE]

Orta I would say deserves to be on the list, but Fzero is a mighty tough call. For now as I said before though I think I will try and put down everything people think deserves to make the list and then it can always be edited later.

The Monkey Island series (PC), Grim Fandango (PC), Hotel Dusk (DS), Zach and Wiki (Wii), are a couple that come to mind.

[quote name='AtomicTeaspoon']The hitman series, culdcept (ps2), silent bomber (PSn), most of the old item-based lucasfilm games like day of the tentacle....[/QUOTE]

Freaking great job with Culdcept! Love that series and too few have played it! I would not call DotT underated....but man o man is it an amazing game!

Thanks to everyone contributing!

[quote name='looploop']XBox:Steel Battalion[/QUOTE]
Only reason SB was so underplayed/underappreciated was because it was so mf'ing expensive to get the damned bundle with that big ass lap crushing controller.:roll:

I always seemed to miss out on a deal to grab the bundle and I refused to pay over $50 for everything.:cry:

As for me, I only have a smaller list of suggestions.

Genesis: General Chaos, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Cool Spot
PS1: Treasures Of The Deep

Deathrow (Xbox), Steambot Chronicles (PS2), Victorious Boxers (PS2), Klonoa series (PSX, PS2, Wii), Electroplankton (DS), and Strider 2 (PSX) are all excellent games that very few have played.

Going by your definition of underplayed/appreciated, I hope these should at least come close, though skimming through the thread, mostly all the candidates that immediately came to mind (Ico, BG&E, Psi-Ops) were listed.

Psychonauts

Fatal Frame (this series seems to be forgotten, since Resident Evil and Silent Hill are what come to mind for most when they hear "survival horror")

For space's sake, I'm just going to say the Shin Megami Tensei series and any game made by Vanillaware (Odin Sphere, GrimGrimoire, and how I wish I got to play Princess Crown). I don't know if that's cheating, since they may just be unknown over here, and not all the games are amazing (Persona 1 did not stand the test of time at all).

I also must make a strong case for The Adventures of Batman & Robin (SNES). I know it's a Batman game, but I never see anyone mention it, when it really was a pretty awesome beat-em-up based off the cartoon.

[quote name='Vinny']ICO and Beyond Good & Evil are two games that always come to mind whenever I see a topic like this. And I'll add another one: Valkyria Chronicles.[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends on the audience. Among serious gamers, Valyria Chronicles was neither underplayed or under-appreciated. In general? Maybe.

A few which spring to mind from this gen:
:psp: Jeanne D'Arc
:wii: Little King's Story

Older games:
:gba: Golden Sun (both of them)

I'm sure I could think of more if I spent longer on it.

Ok so I added everyone's suggestions to a list of whats essentially turning out to be around 1,000 or maybe more games! I am adding everyone elses at sites like gamefaqs and retroware where I posted the same question, then going to add my own additions...finally ill post lists for individual systems and ask what you guys feel needs to be cut! In the mean time keep the suggestions coming!

I totally agree with the post about Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (PS2) what a cool (effing frustrating) game!
R.A.D. Robot Alchemic Drive (PS2)-Epic giant robot game kind of a mix of Neon Genesis Evangelion and Godzilla with a crazy control scheme and upgrades.
......and one of my faves.. Earthbound

[quote name='dingo_stole_mybaby']
R.A.D. Robot Alchemic Drive (PS2)-Epic giant robot game kind of a mix of Neon Genesis Evangelion and Godzilla with a crazy control scheme and upgrades.
[/QUOTE]
I still have that game, even though I no longer have a PS2. I used to go on a rampage wreaking havoc through the cities. I wish they would make a giant robot game like that for the PS3.

I ended up destroying the one female character in the game's apartment building by smashing it to hell.:lol:

ico and psi ops. both were game that fell under the radar compared to the more overly hyped and advertised games but they both found fame through word of mouth. R.A.D i guess is one too since ive only met a few people who know it but its a cool ass robot game.

[quote name='dingo_stole_mybaby']I totally agree with the post about Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (PS2) what a cool (effing frustrating) game!
......and one of my faves.. Earthbound[/QUOTE]

ok nm i guess there are some other people who have played it lol.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Genesis: General Chaos, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Cool Spot
PS1: Treasures Of The Deep[/QUOTE]

Loved Zombie Ate My Neighbors and Cool Spot. Think Cool Spot was the first game I ever rented back when I was a kid:D

My submissions are:
Genesis: Eternal Champions

PS1: Pandemonium and Star Gladiators

All I can think of for now but I will be adding more later.

[quote name='Spanky']Loved Zombie Ate My Neighbors and Cool Spot. Think Cool Spot was the first game I ever rented back when I was a kid:D

My submissions are:
Genesis: Eternal Champions

PS1: Pandemonium and Star Gladiators

All I can think of for now but I will be adding more later.[/QUOTE]
I could never get those fatalities of theirs in Eternal Champions to work right 90% of the time. If I did, I swear it was totally by accident.:cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Only reason SB was so underplayed/underappreciated was because it was so mf'ing expensive to get the damned bundle with that big ass lap crushing controller.:roll:

I always seemed to miss out on a deal to grab the bundle and I refused to pay over $50 for everything.:cry:

As for me, I only have a smaller list of suggestions.

Genesis: General Chaos, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Cool Spot
PS1: Treasures Of The Deep[/QUOTE]

Man, I loved Treasures of the Deep! Good call!
You're right about SB. I was a fool and paid about 120 for it on Ebay. Though it is a great game i don't think I've played it enough to justify what I paid for it yet. :lol:

[quote name='dingo_stole_mybaby']I totally agree with the post about Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (PS2) what a cool (effing frustrating) game!
......and one of my faves.. Earthbound[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was probably the freshest, most fearlessly creative rpg I've ever played. A pity Capcom hasn't thought it worthwhile to continue the series!

I never got to play RAD, but I did play Remote Control Dandy,its predecessor on PS1. Now that was a fantastic game, too bad it's import only...

also for the list on
PS1: Silent Bomber, Alundra
dreamcast: tech romancer, sword of the berserk, zombie revenge
xbox: battle engine aquila, kingdom under fire, metal arms, otogi 1/2
snes: cybernator, terranigma

Last edited by a moderator:
3DO - Guardian War
PS2 - Seven Samurai 20XX
PS2 - Amplitude
PS1 - Herc's Adventures
PS1 - Sled Storm
PS1 - Lost Vikings: Norse by Norsewest
PS1 - Galerians
PC - Outwars
PC - Majestic
SNES - Rock N Roll Racing
GB - Rolan's Curse

Psychonauts, Skullmonkeys (PSX), The Neverhood (PC), Trapt (PS2), Aquanaut's Holiday (PSX, or the PS3 version), Tail of the Sun (PSX), the King's Field series, Dragon Seeds (PSX), Chulip (PS2).

That's all I've got for now.

I noticed sleeper hits get really over praised, or perhaps they are all really that great, who knows. Like, I notice people handing out glowing recommendations to games like Lost Odyssey or Valkyria Chronicles saying, "wow if you don't own this game, why do you even have a PS3!?" And then you play them and you're like, "eh, this is really the best thing in the world? -- or were you just excited because you're playing a niche game?" it's like people get a huge sense of pride from it, similar to when someone who discovers a small name band and hypes them up as one of the greatest around. sure they might be good, maybe even great -- but the optimism is annoying IMO.

Anyways, my vote goes to Tribes 2 (PC). It was way ahead of its time but sadly the community died out and IMO modding ruined it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I noticed sleeper hits get really over praised, or perhaps they are all really that great, who knows. Like, I notice people handing out glowing recommendations to games like Lost Odyssey or Valkyria Chronicles saying, "wow if you don't own this game, why do you even have a PS3!?" And then you play them and you're like, "eh, this is really the best thing in the world? -- or were you just excited because you're playing a niche game?" it's like people get a huge sense of pride from it, similar to when someone who discovers a small name band and hypes them up as one of the greatest around. sure they might be good, maybe even great -- but the optimism is annoying IMO.

Anyways, my vote goes to Tribes 2 (PC). It was way ahead of its time but sadly the community died out and IMO modding ruined it.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree that people tend to overhype sleeper hits. There are far too many average games like both of those you named as well as Skies of Arcadia(hell 80% of the DCs library for that matter), Ico, Beyond Good and Evil and many others. While many are great games they often fall short of being AAA titles and def are not among the best in their genre.

However, a game thats an 8.5 is still DAMN worthy of playing, especially whenever its something like the first Bloody Roar which does something so different from the rest of its genre, or games like Mist Mosquito which may not even be worth an 8 but are so damn unique they deserve some attention.

Thats what I am going to attempt to do with this list. The intent is not to stand up and scream Alundra is better then Zelda, but to say Alundra is a damn fine game that not enough people know about.

Sports Jam (DC) - It's wiisports with a joystick!

Thousand Arms (PSOne)- First US game to have dating sim elements to my knowledge.

Super Dodge Ball (NES)

River City Ransom (NES/GBA) - Beat em up with RPG Flava.
Mighty Final Fight (NES) - Another beat em up

Nam '75 (Neo Geo) - Behind the shoulder shooter. Only one of its kind on Neo Geo.

Wild Guns (SNES) - See above, for SNES. Now on VC.

Blood Brothers (Arcade) - Fabtek game like the two above.

Again, wrote them all down! I will probably spend a few hours later today doing some independent research and using my own knowledge to add games like Inindo way of the Ninja, Sky Gunner and Giants Citizen Kabuto to the list. After that I will start posting lists for systems now and then so you guys can debate what does and does not belong on the list.

Also...man people really dislike the gameboy and game gear because no one at any of the sites iv posted this has had much to suggest for either system ;)

bread's done
Back