Adaptec Gamebridge 1400 (play console games on your PC!) - Now $10 at Fry's - review!

I was going to snag this off woot, after I thought about it, it was gone. Snooze you lose. Too bad there are no frys on the east coast :(

[quote name='hwong3']Can I output a PAL console with this gamebridge? Theoretically, could I use the VGA in port on the back of my TV and plug a PAL console into that?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about the second part of your question, but I have been trying to find a way to get the Gamebridge to work with PAL input. I have a PAL VCR and a PAL PSOne and I had no luck on either. With the VCR it usually didn't even show the picture, I would get a a single scrolling image or just a black screen. I later tried my PSOne and same thing. I then decided to try it with a NTSC output, and even that wouldn't work. It was like it was giving me the scrolling display a TV would get and the black and white NTSC output a NTSC TV would get at the same time. This is odd since I can output that signal to a NTSC TV just fine without scrolling.

I wondered if it was the software but was unable to track any down that let me use the component input. I thought this thing said it was compatible with PAL/NTSC in something I read, so far I have seen nothing to indicate this is the case. If anyone figures this out please let me know.

Hi, I'm new to CAG. Came here via Google while finding out info about this thing.

Went and got it yesterday, impressions: video's a lot better than the VGA boxes I've tried (I've tried a couple in the past). Not washed out, all the colors and details are displayed clearly (though can be a bit soft/blurry if using included software).

Tested with Dscaler, horrible lag with default setting. Tried the odd/even line deinterlace setting, got rid of the lad, but picture quality went down a lot (since it only displays 1/2 of the scan lines).

Tested with Media Player Classic. Good results: no lag, even though image's not as sharp as Dscaler. BUT, whole screen freezes after about 15 seconds, until I press "pause" then "play".

Tested vith VirtualDub. No delay, good picture image, but has interlacing/ghosting problems! Tried the included deinterlacing filter, works, but makes the on-screen motions become less smooth than before. Still usable though.

I'd love to get it to work well with Dscaler, since it provides the best image quality, but couldn't get rid of the lage, or coudn't get satisfactory video quality.

Can someone who's gotten it to work well with either Dscaler or VirtualDub post the settings / filters that you've used? Very much appreciated!!

My Laptop: HP DV6409US: Intel Dual Core T2080 (2x1.73Ghz), Intel 950 graphics, 2GB ram, WinXP Pro SP2.

Thanks!!!

Ah, the thread that will not die!

I just bought the GameBridge 1400 ($15 at buy.com) for my PS2, and wanted to share my results (with pictures!). I am not including the images directly in case they get scaled by the forums; links to uncompressed PNGs are provided. I tested the inventory screen from Rogue Galaxy, which includes a nice combination of icons and text, through the included InterVideo capture software.

I tried it first with the stock composite cable that comes with the PS2, and here is what I got. This is way too blurry for my tastes, and I would not play it this way.

I then bought the Sony S-Video cable ($20 from Fry's) and the results are much better, as shown here. This is certainly acceptable, though I think a good TV provides similar (or better) results, even with composite.

The bottom line is that, at least for me, the GameBridge can only be effectively used with S-Video. I hope that helps someone thinking about getting the GameBridge for use with a PS2.

That was my experience as well. I'd rather use a semi-decent TV, but S-Video provides a usable experience.

Actually similar to what I found on my HDTV as well. Used S-video briefly until my component cables got in (which were better still, plus support progressive scan).

I have a 1400 sitting in my house that I don't use :lol: I've never used it. If someone wants to paypal me for the shipping costs, I will give it away :)

Both the 1400 and 1410 are available on Amazon (through a company called BlueProton) for $13.95 and $22.95 respectively (plus shipping).

Not as good as the price Fry's were selling it for, but still cheap for what it does.

[quote name='General_Klinger']I have a 1400 sitting in my house that I don't use :lol: I've never used it. If someone wants to paypal me for the shipping costs, I will give it away :)[/QUOTE]
well, how much does it cost to ship?

Can someone PLEASE upload the drivers, I got the thing shipped to me and the damn disc was broken in like 4 parts, making it useless

Hey, sorry to revive this thread.

But well ... this Gamebridge is now $200 on Amazon, and eBayers won't send to some Europe countries. : (

Which one should I get? The 1400 or 1410? Isn't there any alternative for this? (I want to hook up my PS2 with lappy) Anyone selling theirs?

Thankz.

There should be plenty of alternatives. The catch is you need one that tries to minimize input lag, and I'm not sure that most tuners list that.

Even still, you're better off with even a small SDTV than messing with a tuner like this unless you have to (ie using it in places you can't bring a TV-like I do :D )

[quote name='Chaos Proxy']Hey, sorry to revive this thread.

But well ... this Gamebridge is now $200 on Amazon, and eBayers won't send to some Europe countries. : (

Which one should I get? The 1400 or 1410? Isn't there any alternative for this? (I want to hook up my PS2 with lappy) Anyone selling theirs?

Thankz.[/QUOTE]

I had a portable DVD player that I was able to hook up the the ps2, it was just a cheap portable dvd player, so I would imagine most can accept a signal from the ps2 and display it. A couple of companies also made lcd screens that would clip on to the ps2 as another alternative.

[quote name='Chaos Proxy']Which one should I get? The 1400 or 1410? Isn't there any alternative for this? (I want to hook up my PS2 with lappy)[/quote]

I ended up using both models for my PS2-to-laptop gaming, and from personal experience, the 1410 held up better. I first used the 1400, which worked okay, although there was a minor issue with it dropping the video randomly about once a week, requiring a computer restart to clear. This wasn't that big a deal, but after about ten months, the unit stopped working (didn't send out any video), so I replaced it with the 1410. I only used it for about six months, but I didn't have any issues whatsoever...

Keep in mind the Gamebridge does create split-second lag with controller input, so playing a rhythm/music game or something else requiring exact precision won't work well. Otherwise, it was a quick adjustment, and allowed me to bang out a handful of games in the office when stuck working evenings/overnights...

Hope that helps!

Darn, I forgot I had this thing. Yeah, in theory I'd like to know how to use it under Vista/7 if there's an issue with it. Guess I haven't used it for a few years. (Sooooo glad you can just connect the Xbox to a regular monitor!)

A few months back my laptop crashed, and I went through the same thing trying to re-install my Gamebridge. Windows Update could never find anything, I eventually got drivers to install by wading through Google searches to find an ISO of the install disc that's supposed to come with the GB. Unfortunately, I don't have those files anymore. If it helps any, I'm fairly sure that when I searched, one of the results was a forum post asking if anyone had the software, and someone had it linked on their personal site. Not 100% positive that's where I got it from as I do remember visiting several forums, but it might be a step in the right direction.

I still have the disc with the drivers (it runs hella loud). The instruction links I posted should work for both vista and win 7, but not for me sadly. I also have the iso of the bridge, but not sure if that will even help, but I guess it won't hurt to try.

What's a good mounting software, last thing I used was Alcohol 120% (I think that is what is was called)

If I recall, the gamebridge install disc doesn't support Vista. I have to downgrade to Windows xp to install it.

In the past I use the Gamebridge frequently to record my videos. After recording a few games, I realized there was about a 1-2 second lag. For slower pace games like turn base rpg, it's not a big deal. But for faster pace games like fighting games or games with a fast button input, there's noticeable lag. I soon realize the problem is caused by the usb. The usb is unable to transfer the data fast enough. You need a buy a device with separate input and output so you can play it on your TV and ignore usb lag.

bread's done
Back