Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

I want to watch Inuyashiki. I will get to it eventually.

Imouto sae Ireba Ii kinda scares me. I've been thinking about watching it. Maybe I'll give the first episode a go tonight. I just started watching Harmon Quest and I'm addicted to that. Plus I got Stranger Things S2 so my TV time is loaded. I still want to finish Made in the Abyss too.
Oh...totally finish Made in Abyss. It's better than just about any of the other shows this season except the follow-ons. Stranger Things S2 is this Friday right? Yeah...that'll absorb my weekend for sure.

This last episode of Inuyashiki was epic. Could've been a stand alone OVA episode and it would have been awesome. So dark and epic.

I watched A Silent Voice and it feels incomplete. This definitely would have been better as an anime vs a movie. I felt like I was missing an entire epilogue to the story that wrapped everything up for me. Also, the focus on Shoya was really bizarre. I thought the focus would be more on Shoko. I just felt like I was left hanging at the end of the movie big time. Really liked it up until I got that creeping sensation that things were not wrapping up properly and that I was going to get jerked around at the end. I would still recommend the movie though, but also caution on 1) It's depressing and 2) it leaves you hanging at the end.

I watched A Silent Voice and it feels incomplete. This definitely would have been better as an anime vs a movie. I felt like I was missing an entire epilogue to the story that wrapped everything up for me. Also, the focus on Shoya was really bizarre. I thought the focus would be more on Shoko. I just felt like I was left hanging at the end of the movie big time. Really liked it up until I got that creeping sensation that things were not wrapping up properly and that I was going to get jerked around at the end. I would still recommend the movie though, but also caution on 1) It's depressing and 2) it leaves you hanging at the end.
Read the manga.

You arent missing much in terms of epilogue. It ended as open ended as it did in the movie. The movie skipped a lot of the romance sub-text and it just implies theyre going to get together at some point. The movie largely glossed over the elementary school years.

Still a wonderful movie. I wouldve preferred a series though.

I loved A Silent Voice personally. I never thought the focus would be on Shoko based on the trailer, it gave me the impression Shoya was the focus. I'm not really sure what more you wanted from the ended or how you wanted it to end. I can't think of any lingering questions I had after the movie was over.

I loved A Silent Voice personally. I never thought the focus would be on Shoko based on the trailer, it gave me the impression Shoya was the focus. I'm not really sure what more you wanted from the ended or how you wanted it to end. I can't think of any lingering questions I had after the movie was over.
Well, I would've liked to see what happened with all the various relationships. Did everyone reconcile? Did Shoya get into a romantic relationship and become normal again? There were a lot of implications, but nothing outright telling me what happened to all these characters, which I found disappointing. I didn't watch any trailers, my impression on main focus came from how the movie opened and progressed. It seemed like Shoko was the focus, then suddenly Shoya (the asshole) becomes the focus because he feels guilty about what he did? I just find it weird to focus on what happened to the poor asshole and not what happened to the poor girl. Granted we get a lot of what's going on with her, but the end was all about him, whereas I would've preferred it to be about her mainly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I would've liked to see what happened with all the various relationships. Did everyone reconcile? Did Shoya get into a romantic relationship and become normal again? There were a lot of implications, but nothing outright telling me what happened to all these characters, which I found disappointing. I didn't watch any trailers, my impression on main focus came from how the movie opened and progressed. It seemed like Shoko was the focus, then suddenly Shoya (the asshole) becomes the focus because he feels guilty about what he did? I just find it weird to focus on what happened to the poor asshole and not what happened to the poor girl. Granted we get a lot of what's going on with her, but the end was all about him, whereas I would've preferred it to be about her mainly.
Didn't

The movie start with Shoya and his friends? I don't think they needed to spell out exactly what happens so far after where the movie ends. He reconciled with his friends and is making progress in not avoiding other people and looking down when he's around them. I think strongly implying Shoya and Shoko get together is enough. I think it's pretty clear that they do or even are.

Didn't

The movie start with Shoya and his friends? I don't think they needed to spell out exactly what happens so far after where the movie ends. He reconciled with his friends and is making progress in not avoiding other people and looking down when he's around them. I think strongly implying Shoya and Shoko get together is enough. I think it's pretty clear that they do or even are.
I'll call that a difference in preference since we agree on content :)

Shoya is the main protagonist though and it was supposed to be his story of redemption and forgiveness. Shoko is also included and is more or less about acceptance. Well that is how I perceived. 

It's pretty clear they each have feelings for each other. The author left it pretty open ended but is sorta implied, especially during the manga's ending

In the manga, even Ueno tells Shoya to confront his feelings in regards to Shoko

I finally watched Ergo Proxy. Was an interesting show, would have been better if there weren't so many disjointed parts to it. I presume it's an adaptation of something, because there are these random episodes that feel like I missed a lot of content to interpret wtf just happened. Overall it was enjoyable if somewhat confusing by the end. If it wasn't for the dumb quiz show, I probably would have thought of it as a throwaway plot, which it just barely avoided being. The quality of the blu-ray was awesome though.

I finally watched Ergo Proxy. Was an interesting show, would have been better if there weren't so many disjointed parts to it. I presume it's an adaptation of something, because there are these random episodes that feel like I missed a lot of content to interpret wtf just happened. Overall it was enjoyable if somewhat confusing by the end. If it wasn't for the dumb quiz show, I probably would have thought of it as a throwaway plot, which it just barely avoided being. The quality of the blu-ray was awesome though.
The thing that got me into Radiohead. Can't remember much about the show at this point since I watched it way back when it was first out, but I'll always have that.

darling.jpg

Darling in the Franxx. Definitely by Trigger. Color me excited.

Hope they release more stuff about the Gridman anime too.

Can I say how much of a guilty pleasure DB Super is? I absolutely love it...it's like I'm a kid again enjoying the shenanigans. The two child-like gods are like representations of us getting excited about crazy shounen action lol. Just love this show, so much fun. Also, Ballroom continues to be awesome. These two shows I'm really looking forward to every Saturday. March Lion hasn't sucked yet this season either, which is nice. Land of the Lustrous is interesting and has this depth to it, so I'm curious where the show is going. 

Yes, all 25 episodes, English sub-only. Three episodes per volume for the first seven volumes, then two episodes in each of the last two volumes.  About $20 per episode. There are also two collector's cards included inside each First Press Edition, just like the ones seen in the series. 

Here's a shot of the spines, they have an image of some of the main characters, which spans across all of the volumes:

lwa1-9jp2.jpg

Can I say how much of a guilty pleasure DB Super is? I absolutely love it...it's like I'm a kid again enjoying the shenanigans. The two child-like gods are like representations of us getting excited about crazy shounen action lol. Just love this show, so much fun. Also, Ballroom continues to be awesome. These two shows I'm really looking forward to every Saturday. March Lion hasn't sucked yet this season either, which is nice. Land of the Lustrous is interesting and has this depth to it, so I'm curious where the show is going.
Super has been so much fun. Screw the haters. I look forward to it every week.

I'm a little behind on some of my shows. I need to catch up with March Lion, Magus Bride, Black Clover, Yokai Apt, Kino's Joiurney, and Blend S.

Zodiac Wars turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. I don't like how obvious they made the deaths. It really killed the show. But another kind of War, Food Wars continues to be solid fun. And King's Game is barely hanging in my que. It's nothing great but enough interest for me to finish.

Super has been so much fun. Screw the haters. I look forward to it every week.

I'm a little behind on some of my shows. I need to catch up with March Lion, Magus Bride, Black Clover, Yokai Apt, Kino's Joiurney, and Blend S.

Zodiac Wars turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. I don't like how obvious they made the deaths. It really killed the show. But another kind of War, Food Wars continues to be solid fun. And King's Game is barely hanging in my que. It's nothing great but enough interest for me to finish.
Magus Bride is really, really good. Blend S is kind of....up and down, but really very mediocre. I watch it when I need background noise... lol I dropped King's Game some time ago because I just couldn't tolerate it.

Magus Bride is really, really good. Blend S is kind of....up and down, but really very mediocre. I watch it when I need background noise... lol I dropped King's Game some time ago because I just couldn't tolerate it.
I'm a few episodes behind in Magus Bride but I agree it's very good. You're not missing much with King's Game. I'm already so far in I might as well finish it. Blend S is getting a little boring and really not all that funny. It makes me miss Working!!

And I finally finished Made in Abyss. WOW, what a beautiful show and an amazing soundtrack. But I think someone was cutting onions in the room or something since water was coming out of my eyes for some reason. We're getting another season I hope.

And I finally finished Made in Abyss. WOW, what a beautiful show and an amazing soundtrack. But I think someone was cutting onions in the room or something since water was coming out of my eyes for some reason. We're getting another season I hope.
We have gotten a "season 2" announced.

but the details of when it will release, or even if it's going to be another tv series, OVAs or a movie is not clear either.

Did you guys see the Made in Abyss art prints that Sentai is selling? Four 18x12 prints on stiff cardboard stock for $25 - they're really nice, and include a cool map of the Abyss itself:

http://freytheater.com/forum/anime/2017/miapost1.jpg

http://freytheater.com/forum/anime/2017/miapost2.jpg
I won't lie, those look great. I just don't know where I'd put that in my house...the abyss map though is quite cool. I have a LE print from Fate-Stay/Night Heaven's Feel movie #1 that I'm going to frame along with my Skip Beat! poster, so maybe there's a place for this. Hmm...

The only unfortunate thing is that the Abyss map has nothing in actual English on it, only the native "language" from the series - so it's just a nice illustration, and doesn't give you any understandable information for each call-out.  There ought to be a translation sheet included with it, lol... 

The only unfortunate thing is that the Abyss map has nothing in actual English on it, only the native "language" from the series - so it's just a nice illustration, and doesn't give you any understandable information for each call-out. There ought to be a translation sheet included with it, lol...
That's ok, it makes it more of a conversational piece haha

I have a secret....every time Frieza shows up and does something I let out an evil cackle. He's a great villain. Loved this episode as usual and the next looks like another winner. Weeeeee!

I have a secret....every time Frieza shows up and does something I let out an evil cackle. He's a great villain. Loved this episode as usual and the next looks like another winner. Weeeeee!
I just wish we could have more Frieza. Never thought I'd be rooting for the guy. He's one of the few that hasn't had a major fight to show off his full power. Can't wait to see what the little bastard has up his sleeve.

So this season is wrapping up. What's everyone pick for AOTS? For me I have to say MMO Junkie (and I'm excluding shows like DB Super and One Piece). I was really looking forward to it every week. It was funny, and some great characters. Plus it had some nice closure. I always like it when a show has closure.

I just wish we could have more Frieza. Never thought I'd be rooting for the guy. He's one of the few that hasn't had a major fight to show off his full power. Can't wait to see what the little bastard has up his sleeve.

So this season is wrapping up. What's everyone pick for AOTS? For me I have to say MMO Junkie (and I'm excluding shows like DB Super and One Piece). I was really looking forward to it every week. It was funny, and some great characters. Plus it had some nice closure. I always like it when a show has closure.
Hmmmmmm let me do a quick check of what I watched before I answer....

Excluding follow ons (like Food Wars which was awesome), I'll cheat a little and say Welcome to the Ballroom since it ended this season. Thanks Olengie for recommending that one, was a fantastic show. If I didn't want to cheat I suppose it'd look like this:

1) MMO Junkie

2) Inuyashiki

3) All you need is a little sister (this show was hilarious)

A few I'm not sure where I'd put...Just Because is a bit of a generic slice of life (not done quite yet I think) and Land of the Lustrous is still on-going. Lots of follow on seasons coming next too. Pretty excited about 2018, lots of very strong follow ups coming!

That reminds me I need to finish Just Because. It was a an okay show and I hope it ends well.

Should I watch All you need is a little sister? I was thinking about giving it a shot since most of my shows this season ended. I also plan on watching Love is like a Cocktail tonight. It's a short so I can probably finish it tonight.

And whatever you do don't watch King's Game. It was terrible all they way till the end. I'm an idiot for watching it. And I can't believe we're getting another season.

Give All you need is a little sister a shot. Don't let the first few minutes of the 1st episode kill it for you. The title is incredibly misleading for the most part.

Give All you need is a little sister a shot. Don't let the first few minutes of the 1st episode kill it for you. The title is incredibly misleading for the most part.
That's actually what turned me off initially. I give it another chance. Thanks guys.

That's actually what turned me off initially. I give it another chance. Thanks guys.
Yeah after the first...5 min or so? I was like W-T-F. WHAT AM I WATCHING?! Then fortunately the show itself shows up saying exactly the same thing. Definitely stick with it, it has some incredibly hilarious episodes (but also a couple duds). Glad I dropped King's Game. It was such a huge turn off after the 1st or 2nd episode. I could tell I was in for a garbage plot and characters.

I watched Wolf Children last night. Really good movie and being a parent just makes it even more powerful. I watched it off VRV and the dub was really good. I totally recommend it if you're in the mood for a movie to kick you in the feels.

Also watched the entire season of Love is Like a Cocktail. Got a couple ideas for mixed drinks. Look out New Years, here I come.

I watched Wolf Children last night. Really good movie and being a parent just makes it even more powerful. I watched it off VRV and the dub was really good. I totally recommend it if you're in the mood for a movie to kick you in the feels.

Also watched the entire season of Love is Like a Cocktail. Got a couple ideas for mixed drinks. Look out New Years, here I come.
if you haven't watch the other movies from the director get on it

Girl who leapt through time

Summer Wars

Boy and the beast.

bread's done
Back