Anyone else seriously underwhelmed with Nintendo's Press Conference?

Not disappointed at all. Since the wii is nothing more than a nice novelty, I'll be happy with the very few 3rd party gems that come along like zak & wiki and boom blox that come out

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']
I love her answer to the storage problem, well in my house we don't give a shit about the quality of games, we just delete them. I don't know about you but there is NO way in fucking hell I am getting rid of Super Mario Bros 3, Super Metroid, Gunstar Heroes, Sin and Punishment, Startropics. It doesn't matter if I play them or not it is important I have them on the system...[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm the same way with SMW and SMB3. I'm not taking them off no matter what. It's irrational, but it's too Nintendo's advantage to accommodate this kind of behavior. The moment somebody second guesses a purchase because of a full HDD, Nintendo loses.

I didn't like Kaplan much, but I like Dunaway even less thus far. I'm beginning to realize that there was something faintly bangable about Kaplan. Bangable in the sense that I'm starting to think PK was a goer. Annoying as hell, but still a goer. Dunaway OTOH is just bland, but with a name like Cammy I'm willing to withhold my final ruling.

I'd like to see a new Avalanche game. I know, I know, most people didn't like the GC version, but I do. Actually I just got it recently and have been playing it. It's mostly a snowboard racing game, with tricks being almost entirely unimportant, but that's fine with me - I mainly like the racing aspect of such games. So a new Avalanche that uses the balance board. That would be fantastic IMHO. Too bad nothing like that was announced.

Incidentally, when are they going to release the balance board as a standalone? And will the snowboarding game announced support multiple players/balance boards? Will they release a bundle with the game and a balance board?

This is a pretty interesting article that may assuage some of the fears brought up in this thread:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25710005/

Important bit from Miyamoto:

I think that there’s probably one other element to it, and that’s that our view of how we use E3 has changed. For a very long time, E3 was an event where — and certainly Nintendo included — catered specifically to the core gamer. Now we look at more … an opportunity for us to introduce new concepts and new types of play that we intend to bring to the broader audience, particularly because of the media that gathers at E3 now.

So while attending an E3 event like this, they might be given the impression that Nintendo is no longer focusing on the games that appeal to the core gamer, in fact we’re still working on many of those titles, but it’s just not the type of event where we’ll be showcasing that anymore.

Much like someone else mentioned in this thread, E3 is just becoming increasingly irrelevant to us.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']The better the Wii sells the more angry I seem to get about their press conference. I suppose it's good that the gaming market is "broadening" but Nintendo's software offerings are absolute crap.[/QUOTE]
You've played Wario Land, Disaster: Day of Crisis, and Fatal Frame 4 already? :bow:

And for whatever it's worth, though I have no interest in it, apparently the last Animal Crossing game (on the DS) sold nearly 10 million copies worldwide. I think the Wii version has a good chance of getting multi-million-seller status just on fan appeal alone...

--R.J.

[quote name='theflicker']Now we look at more … an opportunity for us to introduce new concepts and new types of play that we intend to bring to the broader audience, particularly because of the media that gathers at E3 now. [/quote]

OMFG Nintendo is changing up the world of conferences too. Praised be thy innovation!

Ehhhhh I guess all in all it's what I was expecting. I'm just hoping we get another 'mini-presser' at the end of summer/beginning of fall. Nintendo beats me because it loves me etc...

[quote name='theflicker']This is a pretty interesting article that may assuage some of the fears brought up in this thread:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25710005/

Important bit from Miyamoto:

I think that there’s probably one other element to it, and that’s that our view of how we use E3 has changed. For a very long time, E3 was an event where — and certainly Nintendo included — catered specifically to the core gamer. Now we look at more … an opportunity for us to introduce new concepts and new types of play that we intend to bring to the broader audience, particularly because of the media that gathers at E3 now.

So while attending an E3 event like this, they might be given the impression that Nintendo is no longer focusing on the games that appeal to the core gamer, in fact we’re still working on many of those titles, but it’s just not the type of event where we’ll be showcasing that anymore.

Much like someone else mentioned in this thread, E3 is just becoming increasingly irrelevant to us.[/QUOTE]

i agree completely. ultimately, as long as nintendo keeps giving me games i enjoy, i can put up with them tayloring their conferences to CNN.

I wasnt THAT dissapointed, but I just got back from a vacation, and I was catching up on podcasts. Most were pre-E3, and everyone expected something awesome. It was a downer to hear the Gonintendo guy very excited about it, then hear in the latest CAGcast that he was very dissapointed and depressed.

You better start working on that kid icarus/zelda/mario/whatever soon, or you'll be screwed nintendo

bread's done
Back