Batman: Arkham Asylum pre-order bonuses comparison and guide

Nebenator

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Having trouble choosing which version and store to get Batman: Arkham Asylum? Use this thread for refference!

Stores:

• Amazon: $12 cheaper with 5OFFARKM code and Amazons lower price, bonus Comic Book

• Best Buy: $10 gift card, Batman DVD Pack

• Buynextgen.com: $43.95

• Gamestop: Bonus Scarecrow map (25% off any pre-owned games with pre-order, and additional Edge Card Discount is available, too)

• Gamecrazy: Joker T-Shirt

• Toys R Us: $20 gift card, $30 gift card if you are a Rewards R Us member (join here)

• Walmart: In-game armor (already unlockable if you complete the game)
Versions:

• Xbox 360: No bonuses

• PS3: Bonus Joker round

• Collectors Edition (for Xbox 360 and PS3): Previous bonuses + 14" In-Game Design Batarang, 50 page full color character encyclopedia, behind the scenes 5 chapter series DVD, Exclusive Collector’s Edition Challenge Map DLC
Conclusion:

• For stores it depends on if you prefer a comic and discount, a bonus map, or an even higher discount but no bonuses

• For versions it depends obviously on your controller and gamerscore/trophy preferences, and the extra round

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lawdood']Video game sales have been way down this year. Perhaps retailers are trying to jump start sales for the 3rd-4th quarter and being as this isn't a sequel so doesn't have a built in video game fanbase already, but does have good name recognition, they decided to focus on this title to see how well they could juice initial sales. Just a guess.[/QUOTE]

It's not a sequel but it's Batman, it could've done so much better if it rid on the coat tails of the Dark Knight

I think it'll do really well with the PS3 version outdoing it obviously

[quote name='Microshock']It's not a sequel but it's Batman, it could've done so much better if it rid on the coat tails of the Dark Knight

I think it'll do really well with the PS3 version outdoing it obviously[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree about riding the dark knight's coattails. No matter how good the game is, people would automatically dismiss it as a movie cash in. They did a good thing going the route of the animated series.

With the free release date shipping amazon Prime. Is it easy to cancel it without getting charged. Also if I wanted to sign up would I have to reorder it to get the better shipping deal? I'd rather not have to worry about getting charged $75 for membership. How can I make sure it doesn't renew?

I wouldn't say totally dismiss it, look at wolverine. I thought that game was awesome, in a combat/gameplay sort of way, and reviewers agree(though sales seem to be a bit bleh, according to vgchartz). The story and cutscenes were an absolute mess though.

Either case, it IS riding in wake of the dark knight. It's just a bit late to the party(arguably good or bad) instead of on its ass.

Think of it this way. At blockbuster, we now rank the top 10 rented games of the previous week for the three main consoles(wii/ps3/360, we don't bother with the rest). Transformers has been on the 360 list for weeks and weeks. It was top 3 for like a month and since then randomly goes up and down, maybe coming off for a week or two. A lot of regular people DON'T dismiss movie games, people really into games do.

I was just in a Shopko and they had this for sale already - both ps3 and xbox 360. The PS3 verion had the exclusive Joker challenege maps featured on the front cover.

batmanfae.jpg

[quote name='fhamel']Amazon price has dropped to $51.99 as of 10:05 am CST

PS3 version only.[/QUOTE]

How does one get Amazon to do the pre-order guarantee if you've ordered already? Will it be applied when you're charged?

[quote name='Hostile']How does one get Amazon to do the pre-order guarantee if you've ordered already? Will it be applied when you're charged?[/QUOTE]
Yes it will update when the item is shipped and your charged

From Toysrus.com:

FREE LEGO Batman for XB360 or PS3 when you buy Batman: Arkham Asylum for XB360 or PS3!

Does this deal stack with the $20 or $30 certificate or is that an in store only promotion?

[quote name='sephiroth61787']I'd like to have that Best Buy 2 Disc DVD or the free Lego Batman, but I'm still keeping my Amazon preorder. It's just way cheaper for me.[/QUOTE]

Actually the Best Buy Ad is misleading. I own that DVD and it is only 1 Disc double sided. One side represents each movie.

Unless they came up with a new version this is the one you should be getting.

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Mr-Fre...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1251044345&sr=1-2

That TRU deal would be sweet if they do end up throwing in the $20 or $30 giftcard as well.

From what the ad says, the $30 sounds like an instore only deals. Not sure about the $20.

[quote name='Saintevil']Does this deal stack with the $20 or $30 certificate or is that an in store only promotion?[/QUOTE]I'm almost positive the gift card is in-store pick-up only.

[quote name='Saintevil']From Toysrus.com:

FREE LEGO Batman for XB360 or PS3 when you buy Batman: Arkham Asylum for XB360 or PS3!

Does this deal stack with the $20 or $30 certificate or is that an in store only promotion?[/QUOTE]

I was wondering this too... anyone?

just a head's up to my fellow CAG's.. The game rocks!!, I've played almost 3 hours of it last night & it's awesome, im @ work now, so that's why I'm not playing. i also have a pre order copy at best buy, i just might go get it on Tuesday for the free DVD & 10 gift card, & get a gift receipt & just return it a few days later for a store credit,

for the people worried about the lowest price guarantee not updating... it is applied when the game ships and is charged to you. you'll get an email that looks like:

You saved $2.00 with Amazon.com's Pre-order Price Guarantee!

The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price.

The following title(s) decreased in price:

Madden NFL 10
Price on order date: $56.99
Price charged at shipping: $54.99
Lowest price before release date: $54.99
Quantity: 1
Total Savings: $2.00

$2.00 is your total savings under our Pre-order Price Guarantee.

So no need to cancel and reorder or call them..

Just read the Game Informer review. They give it an almost unheard of NINE POINT FIVE*, and in "the edge" say to lean towards the Playstation version because playing as the Joker is really fun. I didn't think I much cared, but maybe I do.

EDIT: *I think unlike a lot of critics, Game Informer actually gives out low scores-and for example a 7 from them is actually often quite a good score, where it might as well be a 3 from some other things...9.5 from them...I can't actually remember the last time they gave something that high.

[quote name='Nebenator']Can someone answer Saintevil's question?[/QUOTE]

Usually stores don't stack promotions with their web counterparts. It is very YMMV though and if your store either has uniformed employees or nice managers you may be able to get the deal.

[quote name='Fatbot3']Usually stores don't stack promotions with their web counterparts. It is very YMMV though and if your store either has uniformed employees or nice managers you may be able to get the deal.[/QUOTE]
Oh, ok

I'm not sure if this is old news...
http://www.arkhamcare.com/
appears to some type of promotion for batman arkham asylum

Also, it seems like Batman: Arkham Asylum is worth it at full price
Playstation: The Official Magazine - 100% (some what bias though, agreed to Eidos terms of having a review score above 90% to get their review out early)
Game Informer - 95%
IGN - 93%
1up - 90%
Playstation Official Magazine (UK) - 90%
Gametrailers - 90%
IGN (AU) - 87%
Gamepro - 80%

(source http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/batmanarkhamasylum?q=batman arkham)

So the lowest score being 80% and average score of 91% the game seems well worth the purchase.

Just found out that if you're registered for the Best Buy Reward Zone Gamers Club — which gives you a $10 reward certificate for every $150 you spend on games/accessories — you'll earn 250 bonus Gamers Club points if you pre-order any version of the game online. (Ten-dollar certificates "cost" 500 points, so pre-ordering the game gets you halfway there.)

https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/offerDetails.jspx?offerCode=GO1_250 (have to log in to Reward Zone account to see this)

[quote name='BrOnXbOmBr21']Just found out that if you're registered for the Best Buy Reward Zone Gamers Club — which gives you a $10 reward certificate for every $150 you spend on games/accessories — you'll earn 250 bonus Gamers Club points if you pre-order any version of the game online. (Ten-dollar certificates "cost" 500 points, so pre-ordering the game gets you halfway there.)

https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/offerDetails.jspx?offerCode=GO1_250 (have to log in to Reward Zone account to see this)[/QUOTE]

I think reward zone is 5 per 150 but I know the gamers club adds some extra to games related purchaces. I just canceled my amazon colectors preorder and am getting standard at toys r us. I can hardly justify what amounts to an extra 45 for the collectors edition of a game that offers a plastic batarang. God knows I have way to much game related junk

[quote name='z3razerviper']I think reward zone is 5 per 150 but I know the gamers club adds some extra to games related purchaces. I just canceled my amazon colectors preorder and am getting standard at toys r us. I can hardly justify what amounts to an extra 45 for the collectors edition of a game that offers a plastic batarang. God knows I have way to much game related junk[/QUOTE]

5 for 250, and 10 for 150 for gaming

I'd like to take advantage of the TRU offer but up here they charge $69 for new games, so it's not really worth it, if I by two new games it cuts the gift card down to $12. Oh well.

They are such a rip off, they charge $120 for the wireless adapter for the 360

My Friend over on another website posted this about the collectors.
A Batman Fan.

I know the pictures are up of this on the net, but I thought this was important to get posted BEFORE the game comes out.

I managed to get my hands on a Collector's Edition of Arkham Asylum on Friday....just for a peek at the CE packaging.

Without a doubt...this is the CHEAPEST piece of GARBAGE I've ever seen for a limited edition. Seriously. What no one seems to have mentioned is that the "Batarang" that comes in the CE is...well...distresed plastic, permanently mounted to the plastic stand. It's thin, cheap, lightweight plastic, and the distressing that's supposed to simulate metal looks like it's just all scratched up.

On top of that, the "embossed leather dust jacket" doctor's Journal....appears to be cheap and/or fake leather (I couldn't tell) which is poorly dyed and not well finished. The buttons on the cover are poorly mounted and it's very hard to wind and unwind the leather cord. The contents of the journal....are just a who's who with mini-bios of Batman villains....information available on almost any Batman site.

The whole thing is shoved into a simply MASSIVE box too. The hardcase for the batarang is a good two FEET wide, and it's super thick to hold not only the batarang but ALL the other game contents too. Simply put, it's a cheaply made behemoth.

I don't know if they're doing it in the States, but here in Canada, they're selling it on release day for $39.98 at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and EB Games...the regular edition.

Essentially...for the CE..you'd be paying $60.00 for a plastic batarang and a cheap, lame journal. This is quite possibly the worst CE ever made.

Be warned.
End Quote.

I thought the Batarang was metal.

Thanks for the heads up about the BB Gamer's Club offer.

I just preordered it on BB's site. So that's 250 points, the 2 disc Batman: TAS DVD set, a $10 gift card, and the game itself, all for ~$65.

Awesome.

[quote name='gepet0']My Friend over on another website posted this about the collectors.
A Batman Fan.
I managed to get my hands on a Collector's Edition of Arkham Asylum on Friday....just for a peek at the CE packaging.

Without a doubt...this is the CHEAPEST piece of GARBAGE

Be warned.
End Quote.

I thought the Batarang was metal.[/QUOTE]
I got a chance to check it out as well. Without a doubt this is a rip off. Even to the biggest of Bat fans(like me). I've seen Toy Batarangs made from better material than this. I you're seriously gonna buy this, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

[quote name='gepet0']My Friend over on another website posted this about the collectors....
[/QUOTE]

Anyone who assumed a metal batarang to be in the box is bound to be disappointed in the overall product. Same goes for expecting a leather jacket and not a pleather one.

The book is really pretty cool and there's nothing wrong with being a primer for the batman universe, even if it is redundant. There's a ton of pictures of it on the Penny Arcade site.

Finally there's the extras disc which is what I like the most (and yes I know it'll be ripped and put on the web eventually).

That said I wouldn't pay 100 bucks for it but if your on this site I'm hoping no one is.

[quote name='TheInfiniteAmmo']Thanks for the heads up about the BB Gamer's Club offer.

I just preordered it on BB's site. So that's 250 points, the 2 disc Batman: TAS DVD set, a $10 gift card, and the game itself, all for ~$65.

Awesome.[/QUOTE]

I just did the same thing this afternoon. I already had a $30 RZ coupon to use, plus I only needed 91 points in my gamer's club point bank to get a $10 gift certificate, so by my calculations, I should be getting another $20 RZ coupon back from this, unless my math is totally screwed up.

I'm ordering this. I never pre-order and I usually wait until a game has been around for awhile so it will be cheaper, but I'm a huge Batman and Joker fan, and I don't want the game spoiled early (I've been reading too much about this game lately).

Question: I'm thinking of ordering from Amazon since it will be cheaper (Toys R Us not really an option). Anybody know about the comic book? Is it an actual book or is it a download? How big is it, full size or mini?

[quote name='dchrisd']I'm ordering this. I never pre-order and I usually wait until a game has been around for awhile so it will be cheaper, but I'm a huge Batman and Joker fan, and I don't want the game spoiled early (I've been reading too much about this game lately).

Question: I'm thinking of ordering from Amazon since it will be cheaper (Toys R Us not really an option). Anybody know about the comic book? Is it an actual book or is it a download? How big is it, full size or mini?[/QUOTE]

All I know is it actually ships with the game, and i'll assume it will be about the size of the game manual as well, and more than likely not very long.

I'm obviously not a fan of being ripped off, but being a Batmaniac, it's hard to resist the CE, even if it "cheap". To be frank, every other CE I've purchased in the past, as well previewed, has essentially been all or partially cheap in its extras. Companies are out to make a profit, and thus will get by as cheap as they can be. I'm no condoning the practice, but it's a reality we all have to face.

Personally, I plan on doing some modding to the batarang, at least painting it right off the bat.

Hahaha. Who was the guy who said that you could sharpen these things and have it become a killing weapon. And then said they were going for $200 on ebay. Oh brother.

I am SO glad I went for the regular edition.

I have no doubt this game is gonna be great, but from what it sounds like, the CE is not worth the extra money.

[quote name='gepet0']My Friend over on another website posted this about the collectors.
A Batman Fan.

I know the pictures are up of this on the net, but I thought this was important to get posted BEFORE the game comes out.

Without a doubt...this is the CHEAPEST piece of GARBAGE I've ever seen for a limited edition. Seriously. What no one seems to have mentioned is that the "Batarang" that comes in the CE is...well...distresed plastic, permanently mounted to the plastic stand. It's thin, cheap, lightweight plastic, and the distressing that's supposed to simulate metal looks like it's just all scratched up.

On top of that, the "embossed leather dust jacket" doctor's Journal....appears to be cheap and/or fake leather (I couldn't tell) which is poorly dyed and not well finished. The buttons on the cover are poorly mounted and it's very hard to wind and unwind the leather cord. The contents of the journal....are just a who's who with mini-bios of Batman villains....information available on almost any Batman site.

The whole thing is shoved into a simply MASSIVE box too. The hardcase for the batarang is a good two FEET wide, and it's super thick to hold not only the batarang but ALL the other game contents too. Simply put, it's a cheaply made behemoth.

I don't know if they're doing it in the States, but here in Canada, they're selling it on release day for $39.98 at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and EB Games...the regular edition.

Essentially...for the CE..you'd be paying $60.00 for a plastic batarang and a cheap, lame journal. This is quite possibly the worst CE ever made.

Be warned.
End Quote.

I thought the Batarang was metal.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the heads up but with a play time of 12hours i doubt i'll be even buying the regular edition....i'll proabably wait for it to go on clearance at target or something and rent it in the mean time!

Again, for 40 extra dollars(let's just assume the 60 and 100 price points for argument's sake), I really am not expecting a 1:1 metal batarang replica that folds up, 100 page full size artbook, extra disc with 2 hours of behind the scenes and footage and the best disc case ever conceived by man. Maybe I should be, maybe they're ripping me off. Well not me personally cause I'm using a 50% amazon coupon on with 5offarkm/regular price cut/eca, but in general.

Especially since you can get the CE, with no special coupons at all other than the promotion one, for 85$ bucks; 76 with eca. True, the game is much cheaper as well, but if we want to argue over it against other 60$ games, then you're hardly even paying more.

But get whatever version you want or at the very least play this game =) I'm psyched for mine. I need to find a place to display this stuff.

Wow. That's disappointing to read about the CE. I'm glad I never pre-ordered and will be going through Toys R Us to get it. Seriously, that's half off of Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2!

I checked Amazon a moment ago and they are still offering release day shipping for 5.99. If I were to order it before 10:00 am will the game arrive on the 25th? Will Amazon just use expedited shipping or use specially trained Amazon ninjas (im tired)?

bread's done
Back