Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DudeImGodly']Read the first page before you start your rant.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? Really, dudeimdouchey. One sentence is a rant? I just commented on my displeasure on the service just like everyone else. I already made the call before I posted, but I can't add my so far negative experience with Best Buy Trade In to the thread. Its a forum based on other people's experience and opinons. Geez, get off your high horse homes.

Went to another BB today, sold them my last 2 copies of the Sims 3 and the girl didn't feel like doing the trade in process so she just did a no receipt return for me and gave me an extra $3.50 for a total of $53.50 for 2 $25 dollar games lololololol.

They had A LOT of Amazon Kindle GC so I bought $175 worth using my BB GCs and only paid $8 out of pocket.

Obviously I paid money for the games I traded but it was well under $175.

Mission Accomplished.

[quote name='finstersucks']Seriously? Really, dudeimdouchey. One sentence is a rant? I just commented on my displeasure on the service just like everyone else. I already made the call before I posted, but I can't add my so far negative experience with Best Buy Trade In to the thread. Its a forum based on other people's experience and opinons. Geez, get off your high horse homes.[/QUOTE]

Can my horse be a mini-horse? :bouncy:

where do you get sports champions for 10 each? i just had a copy from the move ps3 bundle but i had my kids play the gladiator for 20 minutes and they were bored so out with the old. i dont know why i got a move, i was hoping there would be more trippy children of eden etc games. i want to trip the light fantastic with my glowing pulsing color wand and go crazy awesome. but that may not be happening...

Fallout NewVegas, you can buy in bestbuy for 20, play for 10 days, then trade back in for 20. nice free rental.

lol, where were you 3 weeks ago when it was b2g1f and traded in for 25. i think most of us have exhausted our 3/year quota on that game... ;)

[quote name='Velo214']lol, where were you 3 weeks ago when it was b2g1f and traded in for 25. i think most of us have exhausted our 3/year quota on that game... ;)[/QUOTE]

Dude, i was like the first one to notice that flip, did it weeks before the B2G1 free even happened. Helped pay for my video card for my new computer. Im just saying that its back at 18. I didnt really keep up with the price of it after the PowerSaver Sale or the TIV at Best Buy went down. I didnt realize it stayed at 18. Got some credit at GS id like to transfer over.

Just FYI, if you have less than $10 left on a gift card after making a purchase, the cashiers are allowed to pay the rest of the card back to you in cash.

[quote name='Stimes']Just FYI, if you have less than $10 left on a gift card after making a purchase, the cashiers are allowed to pay the rest of the card back to you in cash.[/QUOTE]

This is nice to know. Where did you hear this if I may ask? Want to make sure it's not regional.

[quote name='Ultragamer']This is nice to know. Where did you hear this if I may ask? Want to make sure it's not regional.[/QUOTE]

it's a CA law at least. it should vary state to state.

yeah a few tivs bumped up this past week or so. i noticed they just took gamestops list of 2 for 50 off of la noire and just copied the tivs to 25 for those games. i dont know where they got the 3 for 60s like tron, medal of honor, etc, but some of those jumped from 8 to 20 like brunswich pro bowl. im waiting for the high tivs to come back...

I just traded in Fable III Limited Collector's Edition to Best Buy. However, when I first tried to trade it the lady would not let me do it. She said the game needed a barcode, and since this game's barcode is on the outside case (collector book thing) she wouldn't take it. So I walked down to Gamestop, bought Fable III used, switched the Limited cover art with the regular one from Gamestop and went 3 miles to another Best Buy / Gamestop combo. The trade then went smoothly at Best Buy and returned the used game to Gamestop. I got $25 and some guy gets a legit collectors case at Gamestop. Sometimes though I really wonder if stuff like that is worth the time.

[quote name='xxjonoxx']I just traded in Fable III Limited Collector's Edition to Best Buy. However, when I first tried to trade it the lady would not let me do it. She said the game needed a barcode, and since this game's barcode is on the outside case (collector book thing) she wouldn't take it. So I walked down to Gamestop, bought Fable III used, switched the Limited cover art with the regular one from Gamestop and went 3 miles to another Best Buy / Gamestop combo. The trade then went smoothly at Best Buy and returned the used game to Gamestop. I got $25 and some guy gets a legit collectors case at Gamestop. Sometimes though I really wonder if stuff like that is worth the time.[/QUOTE]

Just depends on who you get at the register bro.

Buddy of mine traded in SW:TFU2 CE w/out anything except the steel case,game and manual and they took it. I traded in a "not for resale" barcode game and the geeksquad guy just punched the game in manually and gave me my gift card.

Guess the lady just wanted to be hard to deal with, I even explained she could enter it manually, it's also on the site, etc and she still wouldn't do it. She said "when we sell it they won't have a way to scan it" Oh well the first Best Buy didn't have any $50 Kindle cards anyway, the second one did.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Still seems strange the price would drop in less than like....10 hours? I checked it after 3AM yesterday and it was still 20$

They sent me a new giftcard and voided the old one, I was hoping since it wasn't that much compared to the differences others had they might let it go.

[quote name='onyzukae']does anyone buy BB used game?? how was that?[/QUOTE]

It's a funny question since a lot of us trade to BB but hardly ever buy used games there. BB's prices on used games suck, can't use coupons on them, and don't have promos like GS' B2G1.

I do wonder how they plan to off load all these games they buy at a high TIV.

[quote name='bh47']It's a funny question since a lot of us trade to BB but hardly ever buy used games there. BB's prices on used games suck, can't use coupons on them, and don't have promos like GS' B2G1.

I do wonder how they plan to off load all these games they buy at a high TIV.[/QUOTE]

I think that there is a HUGE portion of the population that still just goes to BB for anything like that (games, music, speakers, computers, etc.) and I think the vast majority of them do not mess with these deals -- for example, I was waiting in line at BB the other day the guy in front of me just had a PS3 and one Call of Duty Black Ops game, I was like "hey, you can have them at least PM that COD game and you'll save 20 bucks" and I ended up walking him through that with the cashier. For those people, to randomly go into BB looking for COD, expecting to pay 60 bucks, you would probably be amazed to see it used for 55 bucks and think you just got a great deal.

[quote name='DerClaw']I think that there is a HUGE portion of the population that still just goes to BB for anything like that (games, music, speakers, computers, etc.) and I think the vast majority of them do not mess with these deals -- for example, I was waiting in line at BB the other day the guy in front of me just had a PS3 and one Call of Duty Black Ops game, I was like "hey, you can have them at least PM that COD game and you'll save 20 bucks" and I ended up walking him through that with the cashier. For those people, to randomly go into BB looking for COD, expecting to pay 60 bucks, you would probably be amazed to see it used for 55 bucks and think you just got a great deal.[/QUOTE]

u go so far away... ..

Killzone 2 is on sale at BestBuy for $20 right now and it's trade in value is still $20 as well. Rental for the price of tax.

I dropped one package on last Friday and two this Monday into a UPS Drop Box. But only one package on Monday showed up in UPS tracking system. But the other two are not scanned in. Does this mean these two packages were missing? Did this happen to anyone else? Thanks a lot.

[quote name='foreinter']I dropped one package on last Friday and two this Monday into a UPS Drop Box. But only one package on Monday showed up in UPS tracking system. But the other two are not scanned in. Does this mean these two packages were missing? Did this happen to anyone else? Thanks a lot.[/QUOTE]

What often happens to me is they get a pick up scan, but then dont get scanned at the sorting center so it seems like they got lost right away.
Fortunately, every time theyve made the 6 day trek to MA safely. Basically what im trying to say is, you shouldnt worry, odds are that whenever that one package gets scanned at its secondary out-of-state destination, the other two will as well.

[quote name='edson13']What often happens to me is they get a pick up scan, but then dont get scanned at the sorting center so it seems like they got lost right away.
Fortunately, every time theyve made the 6 day trek to MA safely. Basically what im trying to say is, you shouldnt worry, odds are that whenever that one package gets scanned at its secondary out-of-state destination, the other two will as well.[/QUOTE]

thanks a lot for the info. It makes me feel much better.

doh, i found world at war in the greatest hits section, i guess i could have tried that pricematch and 30gc last week, oh well.

yeah used games are insane. usually selling for more than the new games they are across from, haha. i only got one and it was shaun white snowboarding for $5 and i havnt touched it yet, but it trades in for that much, so whatev someday.

i look at the gamestop tiv thread and i dont get why people are trading games like medal of honor for 8 when they could get bestbuy or amazon credit of 20. and its like that for lots of games, oh wellz

[quote name='DerClaw']I think that there is a HUGE portion of the population that still just goes to BB for anything like that (games, music, speakers, computers, etc.) and I think the vast majority of them do not mess with these deals -- for example, I was waiting in line at BB the other day the guy in front of me just had a PS3 and one Call of Duty Black Ops game, I was like "hey, you can have them at least PM that COD game and you'll save 20 bucks" and I ended up walking him through that with the cashier. For those people, to randomly go into BB looking for COD, expecting to pay 60 bucks, you would probably be amazed to see it used for 55 bucks and think you just got a great deal.[/QUOTE]

There are more people like this out there than there are people like us. Not surprisingly, how else would some people make a killing off of reselling stuff at 10% off MSRP (that they bought clearance). The information is out there, its just having the ability to find it to save time/money/etc while some people just cannot be bothered.

Did this guy at least say "Thanks" for saving him $30?

A funny thing happen, a few week ago i send in some game and they send me a gift card that is a lot higher in value than what i send in. I proceed to purchase some items and still got some money left in card. A day ago best buy immediately send me another card that is correct value with ups next day and say my original card is incorrect value and have been void.

I went online and check that the money is still there... what do u guys think?

[quote name='nakanenui']There are more people like this out there than there are people like us. Not surprisingly, how else would some people make a killing off of reselling stuff at 10% off MSRP (that they bought clearance). The information is out there, its just having the ability to find it to save time/money/etc while some people just cannot be bothered.?[/QUOTE]

That's true. most ppl are not savvy shoppers. I'm sure most CAGs can find deals on just about everything they buy, not just games. I myself, have about $200 GS credit and $300 in BB giftcards (and growing) just from shuffling the credit back and forth. I haven't spent cash on a game in about 2 years now.

btw, Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 GotY are no longer trading @ $20.

[quote name='bh47']I myself, have about $200 GS credit and $300 in BB giftcards (and growing) just from shuffling the credit back and forth. I haven't spent cash on a game in about 2 years now.[/QUOTE]

^
This.

Though my credit had gotten lower recently, due to using Amazon credit for things other than games... I'm going to try to be better with what I have left at GS and BB to start shuffling credit until I have a respectable amount again.

[quote name='Royal High Knight']how long is the trade 2 for $60 goning to last?[/QUOTE]

Until Best Buy stops giving you $30 each for two games? ;)

Went to Best Buy today and traded in Uncharted 2, RDR, and Fallout: NV for the $60. They initially rang it up and it came to like $38. I then directed them to the website where they found the 3 for $60 list. They couldnt get the system to ring them up to $60 but I was price matching 2 copies of Brink (360) for $45 (from TRU) apiece so I suggested they just give me a gift card for the other $22 because I'd be using it on my purchase anyway. They were okay with this, but they are good to me when it comes to PMing and such so it may be a ymmv thing at this point if they have taken the credit deal out of their system. Good Luck, I also grabbed my copy of Infamous 2 for 9.99 for keep your eyes open if you want that

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MrshllJcb']Went to Best Buy today and traded in Uncharted 2, RDR, and Fallout: NV for the $60. They initially rang it up and it came to like $38. I then directed them to the website where they found the 3 for $60 list. They couldnt get the system to ring them up to $60 but I was price matching 2 copies of Brink (360) for $45 (from TRU) apiece so I suggested they just give me a gift card for the other $22 because I'd be using it on my purchase anyway. They were okay with this, but they are good to me when it comes to PMing and such so it may be a ymmv thing at this point if they have taken the credit deal out of their system. Good Luck, I always grabbed my copy of Infamous 2 for 9.99 for keep your eyes open if you want that[/QUOTE]

hahah, your BB just didn't know what they were doing.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']What happens if you just ship in part of the trade-in (e.g. 2 out of the 3 games)?[/QUOTE]

you get credited per game and no credit for the one you didnt send in.

Man, I have a trade in the awaiting payment phase since 4/27. What the heck? Just send me my gift card already.

^Thanks.

I was sort of surprised to see the last time I did a trade-in at BB, was over a year ago. From personal experience, the longest its ever taken for a game to be "received" was 13 days, but that was mainly because I had shipped it on a Saturday.

It seems like it took about a month for the entire trade-in process before I received my gift card(s) in the mail.

[quote name='MrshllJcb']I also grabbed my copy of Infamous 2 for 9.99 for keep your eyes open if you want that[/QUOTE]

Infamous 2 for $10?!?!?! Get me to a Best Buy stat!!!!:drool:

[quote name='edson13']Man, I have a trade in the awaiting payment phase since 4/27. What the heck? Just send me my gift card already.[/QUOTE]

I've had some pending since the 29th, so I sent Dealtree a message last night to see what was going on. They responded:

"Thank you for contacting us. I show that they have been processed and you should be receiving your method of payment the week of the 23rd."

Let's see. If the earliest I'll be receiving my GC is in a week-and-a-half, that means Dealtree won't mail the thing out until...(doing maths)...the end of next week. That would bring the total time in the Payment Pending stage to be...(more maths)...three weeks.

Hmm...

That's a little bit off the seven days they originally quoted. This must be my punishment for sending in a bunch of worthless games. $17 for The Eye of Judgment? $9 for three Rock Revolutions? $28 for two copies of Personal Trainer: Walking? They're trying to teach me a lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back