Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
First time potential trader here.

So the value that the BestBuy website quotes you is not comparable to what you may get in-store?

I've got a copy of Fable 3 that I'm looking to unload, and $25 is the best I've seen. I'd like to go straight to the store, but if they aren't the same price, I'm leery of letting the $25 price slip through my hands.

EDIT: And when I went to see if my local Best Buy accepts trades, it said "VIDEO GAME TRADE NO RECEIPT". Does that mean that I can bring my Fable 3 in?

How long does it take to trade in-store? Has everyone done it and gone through that weird process?

its a lot longer than GS. i traded in a few games and the store i went to had to manually type each game in as opposed to just scanning the upc. might just a ymmv thing but doing it that way she forgot to give me credit for game but luckily i caught it before i left.

First time potential trader here.

So the value that the BestBuy website quotes you is not comparable to what you may get in-store?

I've got a copy of Fable 3 that I'm looking to unload, and $25 is the best I've seen. I'd like to go straight to the store, but if they aren't the same price, I'm leery of letting the $25 price slip through my hands.

whatever the quote is now is what you will get. values change daily so dont wait til tomorrow or u might get burned.

[quote name='Vinsanity1']How long does it take to trade in-store? Has everyone done it and gone through that weird process?[/QUOTE]

About 30 minutes if there is no line and you don't have any particular problems. Do not take in sealed games (they will take them, but they will cause problems) and if it is your first time, try just taking in no more than 1 of any particular title. It's YMMV as far as to whether you will have problems. You might live in an area that let's you bring in 100 sealed copies of any game and they just don't care or you might live in an area that wants to send everyone with a game trade in to jail.

You're probably somewhere in between. Also take in a print off of the online policies, from their website for trading in. Just in case. I'd say if you have a print out and your games are not still sealed, you should be able to get in and out with minimal hassle and time. However, even when it goes smoothly, BB wants so much information, that the trades take a long time.

EDIT: also, if you are trading in games you got elsewhere used (like GS) that have stickers on them from GS (especially if they say pre-owned), you might as well pull the stickers off. I've never had one rejected because of it, but I've had people need "to go check and see if they can take used copies" of games, and it just makes it take longer.

Also, somebody that has a less awful view of BB could probably take some of these advice posts, and boil them down into a "this is how to trade in at BB without it taking longer than it has to" guide, and put it in the first post. Maybe. I guess nobody ever reads the first post, so it's probably not necessary.

[quote name='DerClaw']Also, somebody that has a less awful view of BB could probably take some of these advice posts, and boil them down into a "this is how to trade in at BB without it taking longer than it has to" guide, and put it in the first post. Maybe. I guess nobody ever reads the first post, so it's probably not necessary.[/QUOTE]

It's really not that hard. Take game to best buy, allot about 20 mins. Have your ID ready. trade in. The value you get will be exactly the value on the website THE EXACT SECOND that the best buy person types it in.

Games should be complete, opened, and not have other stores stickers on them.

Yes, they don't have to be complete, opened or not have other stores stickers on them but YMMV.

Traded in Borderlands goty and Black ops for $55. The transaction was smooth. Went in gave the games, showed ID, scanned thumb, do a signature, and walked out with the gift card.

games dont need to be complete anymore. i traded alot in paper sleeves this week.
works well with games that say not for resale like sports champions ;)

(sports champions at gamestop used for $15, 10%off powerup card, flips for 20)

and yeah, bringing my baby helps, all the girls just wanna say how adorable he is ;)

scanned thumb, receipts? oh my
the worst i ever got it was when i went to pick up 6 epic kirbys for 20 each and tried trading them for 30 each. the grrl told me they wouldnt let me and took a copy of my id, lol. i already locked them in online so i was like whatever. turned 130 ->180. woot

[quote name='DerClaw']About 30 minutes if there is no line and you don't have any particular problems. Do not take in sealed games (they will take them, but they will cause problems) and if it is your first time, try just taking in no more than 1 of any particular title. It's YMMV as far as to whether you will have problems. You might live in an area that let's you bring in 100 sealed copies of any game and they just don't care or you might live in an area that wants to send everyone with a game trade in to jail.[/QUOTE]

If I mail it in, do I need to remove the plastic wrap around my game as you say sealed games are frowned upon?

Or do they not really care as much as the brick and mortar stores?

[quote name='Raccoon2117']If I mail it in, do I need to remove the plastic wrap around my game as you say sealed games are frowned upon?

Or do they not really care as much as the brick and mortar stores?[/QUOTE]

I would spend the 2 seconds it would take to remove the plastic wrap.

[quote name='Raccoon2117']If I mail it in, do I need to remove the plastic wrap around my game as you say sealed games are frowned upon?

Or do they not really care as much as the brick and mortar stores?[/QUOTE]

Def remove, there frowned upon because if its sealed their first thought is its a resell or stolen. take 10 seconds remove the wrap and save yourself the trouble

From what I've heard thru the Best Buy manager at my local store, BB is planning to create a special department within it's stores dedicated to gaming, sort of like a Gamestop-format section within BB stores. The employees in this dept will handle trades in the future, and everything will be much more streamlined. I did find an article referring to this from April 2011.

[quote name='bh47']From what I've heard thru the Best Buy manager at my local store, BB is planning to create a special department within it's stores dedicated to gaming, sort of like a Gamestop-format section within BB stores. The employees in this dept will handle trades in the future, and everything will be much more streamlined. I did find an article referring to this from April 2011.[/QUOTE]

^^This ive been hearing the same thing.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']^^This ive been hearing the same thing.[/QUOTE]

I work for Best Buy so I can go ahead and confirm this. Its supposed to be rolling out from store to store. Kind of like Best Buy Mobile.

Some kind of best buy trade in card (like a RZ card) that BB can use to store my info (since they are storing it anyway) and then just use that, with some minimal ID check -- but that doesn't require them to re-enter all that info -- would be a nice touch. Something to speed it up. I always give myself plenty of time (I never go to BB to trade if I have something else to do), but it still seems so not fluid that they need to streamline it more.

Hopefully these game-dedicated people either (1) won't know enough about other stores, so that they will "cancel" flips or (2) won't care about flips if that is what Dealtree is offering.

[quote name='Velo214']oh wow, they straight up denied you?! i turned in 3 ff13, 3 moh, 3 sengoku and 3 dead rising 2s the other day and no problem at all. that sucks[/QUOTE]

Where did you get Dead Rising 2?

[quote name='bh47']From what I've heard thru the Best Buy manager at my local store, BB is planning to create a special department within it's stores dedicated to gaming, sort of like a Gamestop-format section within BB stores. The employees in this dept will handle trades in the future, and everything will be much more streamlined. I did find an article referring to this from April 2011.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']I work for Best Buy so I can go ahead and confirm this. Its supposed to be rolling out from store to store. Kind of like Best Buy Mobile.[/QUOTE]

One of the local stores here put that in about 2 weeks ago. It's a dedicated trade-in desk. Both times I went in, there wasn't anybody actually at the desk, but there's usually a blue shirt wandering around in the VG section so you can just politely ask them. I don't know if they sped up the software, but it seems much quicker now. What would normally take 10 minutes now is done in about 5. Maybe it's a placebo effect....

[quote name='Velo214']neuralfizz, there is a lot of gamestop to bestbuy credit deals.
i know at least 5 games that you can get in b1g1free move games that will get you +$10 every 2 game flip. example heavy rain and brunswick for 30.xx +tax/shipping and they trade in for 20 each. same with most move games like re5gold/ps move heroes for 40 trade in for 50. peace bro[/QUOTE]
Thanks for all the help. I traded 2 copies of FF13 Saturday, when I was buying them from Gamestop they were like "You need...two copies?" And looked at me like I was crazy.

My BB is really cool with trade ins. They're a little slow (and it's the geeksquad that does it, so I'm sure they want to do something else) but they've been cool so far. YMMV, but I leave the gamestop stickers on there and they don't get me any hassle about it.

[quote name='NeuralFizz']Thanks for all the help. I traded 2 copies of FF13 Saturday, when I was buying them from Gamestop they were like "You need...two copies?" And looked at me like I was crazy.

My BB is really cool with trade ins. They're a little slow (and it's the geeksquad that does it, so I'm sure they want to do something else) but they've been cool so far. YMMV, but I leave the gamestop stickers on there and they don't get me any hassle about it.[/QUOTE]

Yea I finally made use of the B2G1Free power up coupon and picked up 3 FF13 yesterday for $32.38 for PS3. The guy looked at me weird too and was telling some guy that this is the cheapest he ever seen a FF game go for. Then I went to bestbuy and got $60 in gc. The guy just went to his manager to make sure he can take 3 of the same games but I had the fineprint ready just in case but he was cool about it so things went smooth.

[quote name='NeuralFizz']Thanks for all the help. I traded 2 copies of FF13 Saturday, when I was buying them from Gamestop they were like "You need...two copies?" And looked at me like I was crazy.
[/QUOTE]

That was one of the weirdest things about the b2g1 from a couple weeks back. I found a store that had a TON of New Vegas copies and I bought a bunch of them. The clerks almost didn't want to do it, because it was weird -- I could see if this was some kind of loss leader item, but I presume that 3 copies of FNV for 34 bucks was still a profit for them (since they do the sale often enough) -- so just appreciate that I'm dumping 200 bucks at your store. I guess it's obvious that I'm flipping them, and it definitely is weird to buy that many copies of a game, but people are weird sometimes.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']So you guys keep mentioning it... Is FFXIII (PS3) still trading in at $20 atm? It doesn't show up on the site anymore.[/QUOTE]

Down to $7

[quote name='DerClaw']That was one of the weirdest things about the b2g1 from a couple weeks back. I found a store that had a TON of New Vegas copies and I bought a bunch of them. The clerks almost didn't want to do it, because it was weird -- I could see if this was some kind of loss leader item, but I presume that 3 copies of FNV for 34 bucks was still a profit for them (since they do the sale often enough).[/QUOTE]

The wierdest thing I found, were 2 unused DLC codes for the classic and mercenariy packs for 360 in the ones I purchased. Suprisingly the pair sold for 44.99 on ebay! They were worth as much as the games they came from.

[quote name='Toss']The wierdest thing I found, were 2 unused DLC codes for the classic and mercenariy packs for 360 in the ones I purchased. Suprisingly the pair sold for 44.99 on ebay! They were worth as much as the games they came from.[/QUOTE]

Some of the ones I flipped had the classic pack codes in them, but I have no idea how to check and see if they are still good before trying to sell them. Like, I'm sure some of them are good, but I'd hate to sell them on ebay and have them end up being already used. Do you know a way to check?

[quote name='DerClaw']Some of the ones I flipped had the classic pack codes in them, but I have no idea how to check and see if they are still good before trying to sell them. Like, I'm sure some of them are good, but I'd hate to sell them on ebay and have them end up being already used. Do you know a way to check?[/QUOTE]

The 360 ones can be checked. Just input them at your xbox guide/ marketplace/ redeem code screen. If its been used it will tell you that it's not valid. If valid it will tell you what the code gets you and to accept. Just exit from there before using it. I think classic packs go for 5 bucks or so.

i got dead rising 2 on amazon for 22.25 ps3 the other day. i had it locked in for 30 each from april 30th, so it worked out great.

oh and my bestbuy is right next to a gordmans and grocery store, so i drop the wife off there and me and the baby go to best buy and meet up with her when done. so i never say im going to bestbuy, i say 'you wanna go get some groceries or shop for socks/bras' lol

and lol, just bought a halo reach perfect condition off some kid on cl for $15. he offered me cod3 and some crap game for 15 more, i said no thanx. gonna drop it off at best buy for 25 next chance i get. wish i would have locked it in for 30 a few days/weeks ago.

I cant believe God of War 3 is still holding. I was beyond joyous to see that. I assume I like other CAGS found quite a few copies for $7 at BBV at Xmas time. I bought a handful of them and they just sit around, 20$ in credit.

So far thats the best standing flip it seems.

[quote name='Toss']The 360 ones can be checked. Just input them at your xbox guide/ marketplace/ redeem code screen. If its been used it will tell you that it's not valid. If valid it will tell you what the code gets you and to accept. Just exit from there before using it. I think classic packs go for 5 bucks or so.[/QUOTE]

Obviously if you only have an xbox, you won't know, but does something like that work for ps3 once that is back up? For some reason I only found them in PS3 copies.

[quote name='DerClaw']Obviously if you only have an xbox, you won't know, but does something like that work for ps3 once that is back up? For some reason I only found them in PS3 copies.[/QUOTE]

I only found 360 copies LOL...i don't know

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Can you track trade-ins from Best Buy's website?[/QUOTE]

You can track the UPS code, but on the best buy trading you only get "waiting to receive", "verified", and something like "payment processing".

damn FFXIII down to 7 for each system. Luckily locked some in on their website. Thanks for the heads up on GOW3, might just sell that puppy now instead of let it sit on the backlog. Was pissed with GOW3 the first time I borrowed it from a friend because it corrupted the save file just after I killed Hermes...

ohmygash, need for speed hot pursuit tiv is $30! thats how much i paid for it on black friday! gotta trade that in.. so i can get meself an X41 wireless headset oo yea

yeah i got hot pursuit for xmas at kmart on release day for 40ish(20ish with kmart buyone$5getone$5 free giftcards) and its still 30. its great. have you played the game tho, that game is so freakn sweet. its just amazing every hot pursuit race when the helicopter is flying in front dropping spikes and you emp takedown a cop then smash wreck another racer and turbo lightspeed away. that game is adrenaline.

so i bought halo reach off some guy on cl for 15, went to bestbuy and got 25. lol
i asked bought the gaming center thing and he said starting next month they are gonna start a bestbuy mobile type section with tradeins and all the games in a corner of the store and they are going to 'crush gamestop'. lol

peace ;)

[quote name='Velo214']and they are going to 'crush gamestop'. lol[/QUOTE]

Yea good luck with that seeing as how the haven't even opened up trading in FL :roll:

Well ... competition is always good ... especially when it's two huge idiotic retail titans clashing ... should be a good opportunity to play both sides as they attempt to tear each other to pieces.

i love how they (bestbuy) sell used (pre-owned) games for more than the new copies across the aisle, at least $5 more ;)
the only game i ever bought preowned was this sw snowboarding, and thats cuz i knew it had to trade in for more than 5, so i kept it for this trade3+10 and its good fodder even at 3. but never saw anything else preowned cost less than new/worth it

One last question:

I got the shipping label they produced for me, but I didn't happen to see anywhere where it says "Postage Paid". I'll have to pay for the shipping of the game myself, right?

(Just want to make sure, because if not, I don't want to be paying for something free... though the USPS does need any extra money it can get...).

[quote name='Disneyboy']According to this site http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-G...es/pcmcat232900050010.c?id=pcmcat232900050010 they do have trade in storse in Florida[/QUOTE]

9c8663c0350f9fc003fe409f7417483e.png

Why is it different from this site?

[quote name='Brenex']
9c8663c0350f9fc003fe409f7417483e.png

Why is it different from this site?[/QUOTE]
No idea. I haven't tried it at my Best buy, which is on the list I gave, but it's worth a shot I guess. The two contradictory lists are weird though.

[quote name='Disneyboy']No idea. I haven't tried it at my Best buy, which is on the list I gave, but it's worth a shot I guess. The two contradictory lists are weird though.[/QUOTE]

yeah, the other list has the closest best buy for trade-ins 30 miles away. I would literally pass like 7-8 on the way over there, thats why Ive never traded in store.
Yet the new list shows pretty much every store as accepting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back