Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Punisher']wow. 107 games? How are they looking up all those game sku?[/QUOTE]

no 92 games that cost me 43 after pur discount

the total was 107 bucks before they added the 50% extra .153.50 after

he put all 93 in one at a time it was amazing lol and he said thanks to me his day went quick lol

you guys should see my gamestop res i can wear it as a belt thats how huge it was lol

[quote name='darkvulture']no 92 games that cost me 43 after pur discount

the total was 107 bucks before they added the 50% extra .153.50 after

he put all 93 in one at a time it was amazing lol and he said thanks to me his day went quick lol

you guys should see my gamestop res i can wear it as a belt thats how huge it was lol[/QUOTE]

Was just wondering how they found all the tiv sku in their system.

[quote name='RCS0926']I believe he got $107 for all the games he traded in plus another 50% on top of that. However, there is no doubt that he brought in a significant amount o games...[/QUOTE]

3 of each madden/nba/nhl game from 2001 to 2008 and a bunch of random 99 cent games

best buy gives a min of 1.00 for ps2 games so even if i got a buck each for the games i still would of been ahead bigtime but a few were worth 2 and 3 so i made out like a boss

[quote name='The Punisher']Was just wondering how they found all the tiv sku in their system.[/QUOTE]

he had to manually find each game in system find the sku and put it in ....thats why it took over an hour

i dont know tho, chances are high tru will change it to $60 tomorrow. you could try tonite at midnite release and have them pm tru website while it still says 45 hopefully, but they could shoot that down cuz preorder/online only? fingers crossed.
if not we could use 10% off coupon, so 54~. hopefully 28tiv so +30/40% and break even after done playing it. i havent played a sports game on release ever. iv only done call of duty midnite releases. edit oh wait i cant midnite release pick up or i will be out the +50% for buying the game, oh wellz, i still have a bunch of ps2 games i need to unload so ill just wait.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Did you guys just leave the GS price stickers on the video game paper sleaves?[/QUOTE]

No.Better off just trading disc only.

So anyone ever traded at the Frederick, MD store before? Do u need a receipt? Do they require booklet and case?

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Did you guys just leave the GS price stickers on the video game paper sleaves?[/QUOTE]

Less is more. Tattoo that on your arm if you want to be a flipper to BB.

took the stickers off but left them in paper case ...half way through i told him what was up he said cool...told gamestop lady to i'm all good

[quote name='The Punisher']No.Better off just trading disc only.

So anyone ever traded at the Frederick, MD store before? Do u need a receipt? Do they require booklet and case?[/QUOTE]

no just game disk if they give you hard time let them no the rules ..and call the main office and let them know your being denied serves

IF ANYONE GETS TURNED DOWN CALL MAIN OFFICE RIGHT THERE AND GIVE NAMES ...RULES ARE RULES

Probably a really stupid question, but tomorrow do I just need to bring Madden at the customer service counter at the same time I trade in some games in order to get the promotion?

[quote name='darkvulture']no just game disk if they give you hard time let them no the rules ..and call the main office and let them know your being denied serves

IF ANYONE GETS TURNED DOWN CALL MAIN OFFICE RIGHT THERE AND GIVE NAMES ...RULES ARE RULES[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Never traded games in Best Buy store before.

[quote name='darkvulture']no just game disk if they give you hard time let them no the rules ..and call the main office and let them know your being denied serves

IF ANYONE GETS TURNED DOWN CALL MAIN OFFICE RIGHT THERE AND GIVE NAMES ...RULES ARE RULES[/QUOTE]

If you call the main office and tell them that they are not following the rules -- even if they are going so far as to literally be violating the law -- their response is that the stores can do whatever they want in terms of the trade. So, call the main office all you want, but it's not going to help you actually trade into your store. You are at the whimsy of your blueshirt.

[quote name='DerClaw']If you call the main office and tell them that they are not following the rules -- even if they are going so far as to literally be violating the law -- their response is that the stores can do whatever they want in terms of the trade. So, call the main office all you want, but it's not going to help you actually trade into your store. You are at the whimsy of your blueshirt.[/QUOTE]

This is why im asking if anyone traded at the frederick, md store. I never traded at best buy store before.

[quote name='The Punisher']This is why im asking if anyone traded at the frederick, md store. I never traded at best buy store before.[/QUOTE]

Your best bet for a first time trade in at a store (if you don't get any reports) is to take a small number of games (like 3 or 4) and not have any copies of any games (like only one copy of brink and not one copy of brink for ps3 and one for xbox, just 1 copy of brink). Also make sure you pull stickers and things showing that it came from BBV or GS or wherever off of the game. Then try trading those in, just to see how it goes.

If you want to do some advanced stuff, while trading those in ask stuff like:

"Hey, I read online that you guys take up to three copies of a game per year, can I do that all at once"

or

"I read that you guys take disc-only trade, do you guys do that"

Stuff like that -- questions you already know the answer to, but can use to feel out the employee to see if he knows what he is doing. Then you can gauge whether it's worth it to take in more games.

[quote name='DerClaw']Your best bet for a first time trade in at a store (if you don't get any reports) is to take a small number of games (like 3 or 4) and not have any copies of any games (like only one copy of brink and not one copy of brink for ps3 and one for xbox, just 1 copy of brink). Also make sure you pull stickers and things showing that it came from BBV or GS or wherever off of the game. Then try trading those in, just to see how it goes.

"Hey, I read online that you guys take up to three copies of a game per year, can I do that all at once"

or

Stuff like that -- questions you already know the answer to, but can use to feel out the employee to see if he knows what he is doing. Then you can gauge whether it's worth it to take in more games.[/QUOTE]

i only have guitar hero 5, guitar hero warriors of rock, and marvel vs capcom 3 so far. I was thinking about that GS thing everyone is doing to build up for zelda.

[quote name='DerClaw']If you call the main office and tell them that they are not following the rules -- even if they are going so far as to literally be violating the law -- their response is that the stores can do whatever they want in terms of the trade. So, call the main office all you want, but it's not going to help you actually trade into your store. You are at the whimsy of your blueshirt.[/QUOTE]

never had a problem it was legal to trade in the games i wanted so never had trouble . but not everyone is so lucky to have a store that goes buy the rules ...i called ahead and told manager i had a ton of ps2 games most with no cases. he said come on down but no more then 3 of each game ( which i knew and avoided getting more then 3 at gamestop)

[quote name='DerClaw']Your best bet for a first time trade in at a store (if you don't get any reports) is to take a small number of games (like 3 or 4) and not have any copies of any games (like only one copy of brink and not one copy of brink for ps3 and one for xbox, just 1 copy of brink). Also make sure you pull stickers and things showing that it came from BBV or GS or wherever off of the game. Then try trading those in, just to see how it goes.

or

Stuff like that -- questions you already know the answer to, but can use to feel out the employee to see if he knows what he is doing. Then you can gauge whether it's worth it to take in more games.[/QUOTE]

yeah kid it took years to get this advanced with flipping you will get the hang of it just don't try to much to start out or you will lose money

Best Buys here do not take disc only trades unfortunately.

I have tried it before. This is a nice little thing some of you guys have going though. A lot of work, but pretty cool.

[quote name='The Punisher']i only have guitar hero 5, guitar hero warriors of rock, and marvel vs capcom 3 so far. I was thinking about that GS thing everyone is doing to build up for zelda.[/QUOTE]

start with 40 games all older sports games ( because they have cases for most part)

3 of each madden from 2001-2006...18

3 each nba live 2001-2006 ...18

and 8 more nhl and nfl 2k games

those 40 should cost about 20.00

those 40 games should trade for 60 at best buy with extra tiv

[quote name='jer7583']Best Buys here do not take disc only trades unfortunately.

I have tried it before. This is a nice little thing some of you guys have going though. A lot of work, but pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't think I'd have the audacity to try to trade dozens of old sports games to BB, but it's definitely interesting to hear that some people are making a killing. The guy who traded in the 90+ games did nearly a 400% flip with this BB deal. That's pretty amazing.

[quote name='jer7583']Best Buys here do not take disc only trades unfortunately.

I have tried it before. This is a nice little thing some of you guys have going though. A lot of work, but pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

not a lot of work got my 93 games from one gamestop right down the street from best buy so i was lucky

[quote name='darkvulture']yeah kid it took years to get this advanced with flipping you will get the hang of it just don't try to much to start out or you will lose money[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to act like I'm some kind of guru, but people are posting in this thread asking these types of questions and it's hard to distinguish from the people that know how to think and the people that cannot figure out if BB sells amazon GCs.

If your first trip into a BB is with a whole bunch of triplets and like 40 games, and you have no idea of the BB is good or not, you are going to be in for a disaster of a time and people should feel it out first to avoid that.

[quote name='DerClaw']I don't mean to act like I'm some kind of guru, but people are posting in this thread asking these types of questions and it's hard to distinguish from the people that know how to think and the people that cannot figure out if BB sells amazon GCs.

If your first trip into a BB is with a whole bunch of triplets and like 40 games, and you have no idea of the BB is good or not, you are going to be in for a disaster of a time and people should feel it out first to avoid that.[/QUOTE]

just helping them out i wish i had help when i first got in to this i lost and got stuck with useless games alot

Just called two of my local best buy stores and was told that a case with the UPC is needed for trade in. Man, what is the official policy? I have traded in disc only games at another best buy far from me and it was fine, Shouldn't there be an official store-wide policy that they should all follow? Should I just trade the disc-only games online? They should accept it but I don't want to wait a month for them to verify and then send out the gift cards.

Does anyone actually know how Best Buy is tracking each person's trade ins? Normally the first piece of information they ask for is a phone number, so I'm wondering if that's how they are tracking the 3 per title per platform limit.

Just as a side note, I recently traded in 3 copies of a game (I normally wouldn't do this all at once), and after the employee scanned in the third copy, he looked at the computer screen, checked the stack of games again, looked back at the screen, and then told me I wouldn't be able to trade this game again for a year. I can't say for certain whether he was just repeating what he knew from the BB policy or if there was an actual prompt on the screen that told him this info, but by the way he acted, it sure seemed like the latter.

It says at the bottom of every page in their application that there is a limit of three per title per platform per year.

I'm sure it's official policy to take disc only games but the managers of each store probably are able to make restrictions to their own store.

Mine don't take disc only, they were adamant about that. I asked on several occasions and even brought up the website's wording.

Guess i meant a lot of time rather than work.

traded in some games. two worlds 2 upc was off from the one in their system, no idea why. i said, mmmkay, took the artsleeve off and put it back in the pile. we just nodded and he ran it through the system ;)

[quote name='dabamus']It says at the bottom of every page in their application that there is a limit of three per title per platform per year.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that. Based on the way he acted, I thought it might have been an indication of better tracking on the store level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if you can return Madden 2012 after you've purchased it as part of your 50% extra? I have one coming from Amazon that I would just return tomorrow and trade in some games and pick up Madden tonight.
I don't want to be turned down because it was part of some promo though and be stuck with two Madden's.

you won't get the 5 preorders 20gc back if you return it, but once they give you the giftcard they can't take $ off of it, so don't worry bout it.

and omg,i think i answered it earlier, but you can cancel your preorder whenever you want. you can show up on friday nite and cancel it and get $5 back. if they don't give you a product, you get your money back. there is no $5 fee or cancellation fee or anything.

[quote name='Velo214']you won't get the 5 preorders 20gc back if you return it, but once they give you the giftcard they can't take $ off of it, so don't worry bout it.

and omg,i think i answered it earlier, but you can cancel your preorder whenever you want. you can show up on friday nite and cancel it and get $5 back. if they don't give you a product, you get your money back. there is no $5 fee or cancellation fee or anything.[/QUOTE]

i'm not worried about the 5 for 100 deal since i usually preorder amazon, but will they refuse the return outright?

[quote name='DerClaw']I don't mean to act like I'm some kind of guru, but people are posting in this thread asking these types of questions and it's hard to distinguish from the people that know how to think and the people that cannot figure out if BB sells amazon GCs.

If your first trip into a BB is with a whole bunch of triplets and like 40 games, and you have no idea of the BB is good or not, you are going to be in for a disaster of a time and people should feel it out first to avoid that.[/QUOTE]My first trip was with 140+ in a binder. I was very fortunate that the guy doing the trades was their "expert" and really nice and patient. I did organize it all before I went in so that there was one title per page though.

[quote name='darkvulture']start with 40 games all older sports games ( because they have cases for most part)

3 of each madden from 2001-2006...18

3 each nba live 2001-2006 ...18

and 8 more nhl and nfl 2k games

those 40 should cost about 20.00

those 40 games should trade for 60 at best buy with extra tiv[/QUOTE]
:lol::applause: I followed that pattern today at GS. It was hilarious watching them looking through the stacks of games in sleeves for the $.99 sports title bonanza I bought from them to trade to BB.(with a free $25 E-Rewards GC, no less:lol:). But they DID thank me for taking all of those old shitty sports games off their hands.

I didn't even bother taking any of the stickers off the games n just took them up to BB. It took them 30-45 minutes to scan in and 'check' each game, all while remarking that the company will most likely just dumpster these and asking me which GS I got them from.;)

I turned $21.71 in pretty worthless old PS2 sports games into $63 even, since I did a $5 pre-order deposit for Uncharted 3 and got the 30% bonus.

Even if I did the Madden pre-order bonus(50%), it would've amounted to basically another $3-4 and I might be stuck with Madden.:whistle2:# So I stuck with a game I might actually WANT.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol::applause: I followed that pattern today at GS. It was hilarious watching them looking through the stacks of games in sleeves for the $.99 sports title bonanza I bought from them to trade to BB.(with a free $25 E-Rewards GC, no less:lol:).

I didn't even bother taking any of the stickers off the games n just took them up to BB. It took them 30-45 minutes to scan in and 'check' each game, all while remarking that the company will most likely just dumpster these and asking me which GS I got them from.;)

I turned $21.71 in pretty worthless old PS2 sports games into $63 even, since I did a $5 pre-order deposit for Uncharted 3 and got the 30% bonus.

Even if I did the Madden pre-order bonus(50%), it would've amounted to basically another $3-4 and I might be stuck with Madden.:whistle2:# So I stuck with a game I might actually WANT.[/QUOTE]

nice. I probably wont be able to do this since Friday is the only time I can get to the store.

I bought all the 99cent games but don't know if I should buy the 1.99 next. I mean those games still trade in for $1 on BB so I'll only make no more than half of what I made with the 99cent ones....decisions decisions....

I still have about 60 PS2 99cent games that I've yet to trade in

Have your Best Buys started insisting that you have to preorder something every time you trade in to get the bonus? Is this a corporate thing or are my Best Buys just turning into assholes?

[quote name='confoosious']Have your Best Buys started insisting that you have to preorder something every time you trade in to get the bonus? Is this a corporate thing or are my Best Buys just turning into assholes?[/QUOTE]

Mine has been making me as well, but all the employee's here are very nice but for the most part, by the book.

[quote name='confoosious']Have your Best Buys started insisting that you have to preorder something every time you trade in to get the bonus? Is this a corporate thing or are my Best Buys just turning into assholes?[/QUOTE]

All three of my Best Buys have been saying that to me since day 1.

I guess it doesn't matter if you cancel your pre-order early, I just got the email for whatever the madden 12 content is and I cancelled mine yesterday.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I guess it doesn't matter if you cancel your pre-order early, I just got the email for whatever the madden 12 content is and I cancelled mine yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Got two because I preordered the regular and cancelled to get the HOF edition...and cancelled that too. Interesting.

I have gotten the madden bonus 4 times, but only one made me preorder. The other two didn't remember or didn't care, and one was going off to prepare for the launch party tonight, so he didn't make me either.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I guess it doesn't matter if you cancel your pre-order early, I just got the email for whatever the madden 12 content is and I cancelled mine yesterday.[/QUOTE]

You got an e-mail with it? Son of a bitch... I guess that means I'm not going to get my e-mail code again... why is BB so crappy at doing everything. They can't even stay open for 30 minutes so I can buy the damn game.

[quote name='Sepatown Tippie Tais']Wow. Got two because I preordered the regular and cancelled to get the HOF edition...and cancelled that too. Interesting.[/QUOTE]

Damn I legit preordered (didn't cancel) and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and still haven't gotten my code :(

FYI, if you had to preorder and don't want it, just use credit and get BB to PM the $45 price at TRU.

Then trade it back in for either $45 if they will let you do the madden bonus at another store with proof of your prior purchase of madden, or just trade it in with the 40% for $42 with a different preorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back