Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know if I have to pick up my madden pre order at the store I pre ordered it from? Or can I pick it up at a different store? Thanks.

[quote name='atc250es']Anyone know if I have to pick up my madden pre order at the store I pre ordered it from? Or can I pick it up at a different store? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

YMMV, my store has told me I have to pick mine up at theirs, but others have reported that they have been able to pick up their pre-orders at a different location.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol::applause: I followed that pattern today at GS. It was hilarious watching them looking through the stacks of games in sleeves for the $.99 sports title bonanza I bought from them to trade to BB.(with a free $25 E-Rewards GC, no less:lol:). But they DID thank me for taking all of those old shitty sports games off their hands.

I didn't even bother taking any of the stickers off the games n just took them up to BB. It took them 30-45 minutes to scan in and 'check' each game, all while remarking that the company will most likely just dumpster these and asking me which GS I got them from.;)

I turned $21.71 in pretty worthless old PS2 sports games into $63 even, since I did a $5 pre-order deposit for Uncharted 3 and got the 30% bonus.

Even if I did the Madden pre-order bonus(50%), it would've amounted to basically another $3-4 and I might be stuck with Madden.:whistle2:# So I stuck with a game I might actually WANT.[/QUOTE]

i know thats easy money and hell even fun to do lol

[quote name='dabamus']FYI, if you had to preorder and don't want it, just use credit and get BB to PM the $45 price at TRU.

Then trade it back in for either $45 if they will let you do the madden bonus at another store with proof of your prior purchase of madden, or just trade it in with the 40% for $42 with a different preorder.[/QUOTE]Exactly, an easy 1 of 5 games knocked off for $3+ tax.

[quote name='HakurenKyo06']Should have gotten them to PM the toysrus deal tonight, bleh. Doubt the price will hold till 10 in the morning.[/QUOTE]it's $45 @ TRU in-store/online till 9/3.

[quote name='dabamus']FYI, if you had to preorder and don't want it, just use credit and get BB to PM the $45 price at TRU.

Then trade it back in for either $45 if they will let you do the madden bonus at another store with proof of your prior purchase of madden, or just trade it in with the 40% for $42 with a different preorder.[/QUOTE]
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they don't PM other companies online deals. If they do I'll just take my iPad in there and show them.

[quote name='yosnowman']Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they don't PM other companies online deals. If they do I'll just take my iPad in there and show them.[/QUOTE]It's in-store till 9/3

[quote name='DerClaw']My closest best buy decided that they can only take two copies of a game (accross any platform). Herp derp.[/QUOTE]You broke them with ps2 sports games ;)

[quote name='orangecrush']You broke them with ps2 sports games ;)[/QUOTE]

I didn't take any in! I actually hadn't flipped a game anywhere in months. I did discuss it with the gaming trade in guy and he said that nobody had brought in any ps2 sports games and that he'd say "no" if somebody brought in 100 games without cases.

I'm sure that some of those employees who took in your 90 PS2 sports titles are going to get reprimanded or terminated.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']anyone have an idea what Madden 12's tiv will be? might get a copy from Amazon and then trade it in with Gears3 pre-order[/QUOTE]

Says 30 when you check the tracker, so if you can convince them to give you the 50% on the game you just bought, then you get 45?

[quote name='DerClaw']Says 30 when you check the tracker, so if you can convince them to give you the 50% on the game you just bought, then you get 45?[/QUOTE]

LOL. Why would they give u the 50% extra TiV? It ends on 9/3. They will look at u funny when u trade in a Madden when u have a preorder of the same game.

U can still get 40% extra. Thats still not bad if u were able to price match toys r us this week.

I got my BB to PM K-Mart's $20 again so I got it for $40+tax.

My store doesn't care about whether I pre-order crap or not for the extra 50%. In fact, most stores shouldn't give you any trouble for it. Why wouldn't you be able to trade it back in?

Gonna try and sell it on Glyde first, since I'd rather have cash then more BB credit.

[quote name='DerClaw']Says 30 when you check the tracker, so if you can convince them to give you the 50% on the game you just bought, then you get 45?[/QUOTE]

uh I bought it from Amazon... anyway the $30 tiv should hold up for a while and the 40% extra trade in lasts until October so I'll see if I can get more than $42 (1.4*$30 = $42) for Madden 12.

awesome. got 50% extra today. and the guy made it seem since i purchased madden i could come in every day til the 3rd and get 50% bonus. woot
/also got lucky and pm'd tru for 45. wootwoot

derclaw, let's discuss this ;) you went to crestwood bestbuy and they shot you down for 2 each? i went today and traded in a bunch 3 each.
was it the gaming supervisor guy with the 007 tattoo? i try to wait til one of the girls does the trade ins, they are so much easier ;)

also i will have to do the trade in +50% and get 45 ;) i could care less about playing a football game but with 45-20 +50% and 1/5 preorder done with, it was too good to pass up.

[quote name='Velo214']derclaw, let's discuss this ;) you went to crestwood bestbuy and they shot you down for 2 each? i went today and traded in a bunch 3 each.
was it the gaming supervisor guy with the 007 tattoo? i try to wait til one of the girls does the trade ins, they are so much easier ;)

also i will have to do the trade in +50% and get 45 ;) i could care less about playing a football game but with 45-20 +50% and 1/5 preorder done with, it was too good to pass up.[/QUOTE]

I live in SoCo, so it was the SoCo BB. That place is a disaster. If I every have a problem like that in crestwood, then I'll let you know :)

It's just a lot less out of my way to go to that BB, plus, I don't want to hit the crestwood area BBVs, since I presume you've visited all of them, so it would be oddly out of my way. I probably need to talk to the manager again at the soco bb, it's just that it gets soooooo tiring breaking in these people if you don't keep on it everyday.

I try to stay out of your way as far as raiding stores (though if I'm in crestwood I obviously prefer to trade in there, since that doesn't hurt you) -- even though you stole my DR2 :cry:

EDIT: you're either lucky that you live near crestwood or you're just good at keeping those guys trained. The Girl with the pink streak in her hair is the one that has helped me in the past and I wish there were people like her in soco (actually there is one gaming guy that is cool, it's just that there is this super-asshole yellowshirt at the front of the store that thinks he knows how to enforce his own policies as far as I can tell).

ok good. my crestwood is conditioned that i walk in and they ask what flips i got. if they ever gave me that i could just get my grrl/her gf's to flip games for me, but that's just extra hassle. the only guy who ever kinda bugged me at bestbuy is the gaming supervisor dude with the 007 tattoo, and he's a big dork, but he denied some of my gamestop .99 games cuz the blue back he said was bootleg, lol. plus he kinda gives me an eye when i trade in more than 3 in a month and they all go to him, like i flipped a few more saw2's, not even for profit now but just to break even since the tiv fell, and he looked at me like hmmm didnt you just trade a few of these in and im like hmm i dont think so. but they always say they get commended for big trade ins, so i think im good ;) peace bro

n yeah i got lazy and just hit up the watson bbv, skipped chippewa/jameson, nothing much just 2 moh's and 2 sw fu2's. check google shopping for nba jams or something near you, those are great to flip. glad we aren't cannibilizing each other's territory ;) ill stick to south city, you stick to south county ;)

dude i will give you dr2 for whatever you were gonna buy it for once my grrl and i finish the campaign on co op for that trophy. that's the only reason i need 2 copies. i even traded one in for like 19 a few weeks ago cuz i got the c.e. edition for 20 on newegg. doh lol

edit - pink streak chic is cool. i play blops with her sometimes ;) she's hilariously young and rude to other customers tho. she was talking to me about the zombie easter eggs on the dlc maps and a customer was trying to find something and i literally had to stop her mid zombie killing sentence and tell her to do her job and help the customer. she gave me a look like how dare you tell me to work for what i am standing here getting paid for. lol. stupid young gamer chics are fun ;) especially when she takes trade ins no q's asked ;)
tall dark haired white chic Rae is also cool ;) and they got some fuzzy headed hippie kid doing tiv's also. lol

Just traded in 50 games at my local BB. The hardest part was getting past the entrance since the guy there looked at the games, called an associate over, and went into a huddle to talk to each other. One of them turned to me and said "we don't take games without manual or case" to which I replied "I called yesterday and they said it would be no problem trading in games disc-only". They acted like they didn't wanted me to proceed to the trade-in counter, but eventually caved. The associate doing the trade-in was nice and in the end it took about 45 minutes to get all the games entered in. I opted for the 40% trade-in bonus (pre-order any game) and ended up getting $70 gift card.

anyone know which games are trading in for $30 before bonus? most newer games i've seen seem to go for low to mid 20's

dude go to bestbuy/tradein.com check it out yourself ;)

n i got 75 plats, shadows of the damned was my last plat. easy schmeezy.
would have been 76 but hunted glitched on me and crystal collection didn't pop after 2 playthroughs, ugh, so im one short there.
im trying too hard tho, lol, iv got a bunch of flips like ea mma, top spin 4, duke nukem, la noire, etc that i wanna plat, but there's no way with my backlog and with tiv's going down that im gonna do it all. oh wells. hunted was gonna be +$8, but i held it a day too long and barely broke even ;)
plus i have a problem with getting off work late at night and wanting to just play blops with my clan for a few hours(toke/drink/play), and all the time I spend on blops and prestiging etc doesn't get me any trophies ;) peace bro.

Traded in about 80 games today, computer slowed down a bit at times but otherwise everything went pretty smooth + picked up Madden 12 for 50% bonus.

tried to trade in 12 ps2 games as a test run to see how fast it would be, guy rejected 5 for their condition and rejected 2 since they weren't in the system. glad i didn't try a bunch

Wow, I wasn't aware that the gift cards you get from the Trade ins toward Pre-orders don't really matter.. Heck, you can deplete the thing and not use a single cent for the pre-order other than the $5 down.

This made my day.

Probably going to have to go back to my horrible BB tomorrow, since I have about 6 games left that I need to trade in and I don't like the hassle of trying to get the bonus w/o having bought at that store. Hope that the crappy security guard isn't working.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Just traded in 50 games at my local BB. The hardest part was getting past the entrance since the guy there looked at the games, called an associate over, and went into a huddle to talk to each other. One of them turned to me and said "we don't take games without manual or case" to which I replied "I called yesterday and they said it would be no problem trading in games disc-only". They acted like they didn't wanted me to proceed to the trade-in counter, but eventually caved. The associate doing the trade-in was nice and in the end it took about 45 minutes to get all the games entered in. I opted for the 40% trade-in bonus (pre-order any game) and ended up getting $70 gift card.[/QUOTE]

There needs to be a way to get to the gaming trade in area w/o dealing with the security guard, since the security guards are starting to be a real problem for some people. Even if they don't take X or Y, then let the person in that department tell me that, man. I just know I'm going to get hassled over the games tomorrow by that guy -- I've got my list to show that I did not trade either 2 or 3 of any of the games I'm taking in, but FFFFUUUUUUUUUU it's going to be a pain.

Velo,

Your BB hooked me up on a 20-game trade in tonight. God, I wish those guys were closer to me. I'm definitely going to do all my pre-orders there for repeat trade ins, even though it's out of the way.

My stupid local BB keeps telling me the trading system is not working. They keep lying and wasting my time. One time I called and they said the trading system was not working but I went anyway since I wanted to get some stuff and I saw a guy trading stuff in. Good thing I took my games along then. I just feel they don't want to do trade-ins because their trade-in process is a hassle.

[quote name='jer7583']I'm sure that some of those employees who took in your 90 PS2 sports titles are going to get reprimanded or terminated.[/QUOTE]
Actually I was told yesterday that they get graded on the number of trade-ins they do or something similar to that, so I imagine that the guy who took my trades is going to get an A+.:lol:

What sucks though is that they have to pair up a piece of paper to rubber band around EACH game they take in, so that would likely be the most time consuming part of the process. It helped that my games all had the original coverart, though they did still have to enter some of them in as 'generic SKU' for $1.

yeah the security guard at my bestbuy doesnt hassle me at all. i just feel bad that he has to put a pink dated sticker on every game i bring in. I always have my lil kids or baby with me so im like damn im so busy. lol

To PM the TRU Madden price of $45, do you just show them the ad on your phone/etc or do you have to have the damn physical ad in hand? I was planning on seeing if they take all the beat to crap PS2 games from GS since they are all probably headed to a landfill somewhere eventually, and then return the Madden next week. If I could get the PM using my phone (or TRU online) then it could possibly turn out to be better to sell the game to a buddy for cost, at $45.xx instead of him plunking down $59.99, though too bad I didnt use Madden as a preorder since that would have meant 1 less game to have to preorder and buy...

The damn machine kept crashing at the Best Buy I went to today. I'll give 'em another try... anyone else have this happen? I traded in there in the past with no issues. It'll be a pain if they can't get it fixed 'cause it's not like there's a Best Buy on every street corner like Gamestop...

[quote name='Cerebral_One']What time of day does the Best Buy site update the TIV's?[/QUOTE]

It's usually been in the morning. For me, if I check around 10:30 local time, it's usually whatever price it's going to be the rest of the day.

The best part about today was dealing with 3 different BBV employees and 1 BB employee that "knew everything", eventually getting them to see the correct way, and then have them try to pump me for information about how to do flips. GFY crappy employees.

[quote name='Rozz']The damn machine kept crashing at the Best Buy I went to today. I'll give 'em another try... anyone else have this happen? I traded in there in the past with no issues. It'll be a pain if they can't get it fixed 'cause it's not like there's a Best Buy on every street corner like Gamestop...[/QUOTE]

Theres a Best Buy and Gamestop in my area that are literally 5 minutes away from each other.

:D

[quote name='Rozz']The damn machine kept crashing at the Best Buy I went to today. I'll give 'em another try... anyone else have this happen? I traded in there in the past with no issues. It'll be a pain if they can't get it fixed 'cause it's not like there's a Best Buy on every street corner like Gamestop...[/QUOTE]

Yes, I spend 1 hour and 15 minutes trying to trade in games and it kept crashing. It kept crashing after I did my fingerprint and signed my name. I only had 16 games. I never got to trade any of them in.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Yes, I spend 1 hour and 15 minutes trying to trade in games and it kept crashing. It kept crashing after I did my fingerprint and signed my name. I only had 16 games. I never got to trade any of them in.[/QUOTE]

At what time was this? I did a trade at ~8:45 Central time and it hung really bad for a while, but ultimately went through for me.

[quote name='DerClaw']At what time was this? I did a trade at ~8:45 Central time and it hung really bad for a while, but ultimately went through for me.[/QUOTE]

I noticed the same thing. My transaction crashed after the thumbprint thing. Had to start all over. Fortunately, the transaction was only four games. The BB employee was flustered that the system was crapping out, he told me he got some weird message about rebooting his system. Anyways, the next attempt went off without a hitch. This was shortly before 6PM PST, so 8 Central.

[quote name='DerClaw']At what time was this? I did a trade at ~8:45 Central time and it hung really bad for a while, but ultimately went through for me.[/QUOTE]

I was trading right around the same time and had absolutely no trouble with the trades. Now, the preorder to get the 40% bonus was another matter :roll:. It took about 45 minutes to get that done and ultimately I think the guy should have just let me go but he insisted I had to preorder something.

My initial choice was the new Professor Layton game (Last Specter). I've never preordered anything at Best Buy before but I just assumed that it would be available as it is everywhere else since it was recently given a release date (in October no less). But, no, apparently it is not in the system. The guy said the trading kiosk did not allow him to look up any potential preorder games (and of course they have no hardcopy list showing what was and was not available), so after manually looking through screen after screen of games he gave up and went to a different computer (bringing my gift card with him).

About 20 minutes later he came back and said it wasn't in the system. OK, so I was starting to get kind of pissed off at this point (not at him, but at the whole setup). Then he asked me what about 3DS games (since my son had his with him). I said sure, let's do the new Mario Bros game which I figured should be in there since he had mentioned Mario Kart and a few others as possibilites. Once again he cannot find it. Eventually a supervisor comes over and lets him know he can use the Best Buy web site to look up available preorders. So after he clicks around way too many times than is necessary, we eventually have a list of upcoming 3DS games. I see Super Smash Bros but no Mario (WTF!? SSB is way further off in the future than Mario 3D). Eventually I settle on Mario Kart 3DS even though I have little interest in it (I played the DS version once I think). All told the process took way too long, though I was happy with the trade bonus I got on the games so it wasn't a total loss. I'm out $5 on the Mario Kart preorder which I suppose I can cancel and switch to Layton if/when they get it in the system. I'm more inclined just to cancel it at this point, which he even suggested there towards the end. But if that's the case, why did he make me go through with it at all? He seemed to think it was required for the trades to go through but clearly they are separate transactions.

I didn't have a problem preordering the Layton game (I would have stuck with that and picked it up and all), but once that was not available (which he only found out after processing all my trades) he should have just let it be. Instead I had to wait around another 45 minutes with my son in tow (it took so long he got bored of playing the demo systems :lol:).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just looking at this thread for the first time (and so scrolling back) but wanted to ask - does BBY fingerprint everyone for trades or is that state specific?

[quote name='Arakias']I'm just looking at this thread for the first time (and so scrolling back) but wanted to ask - does BBY fingerprint everyone for trades or is that state specific?[/QUOTE]

state or local. I never have been in tennesee

[quote name='Ramandur']state or local. I never have been in tennesee[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I only saw mention of it on this page right away so had to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back