Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Is the Wii $30 base? You can get an extra $40 at GS for the Wii.
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/specialty/tradeins/

You only get the 30% or the 40%. However, you'll probably be able to always get an extra 10% starting 12th if you're an @gamer subscriber and convert your RZ gamer account to the super duper unlocked or whatever they're calling it.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow! Thanks for the link. For some reason when he was trying to trade it in, the guy only told him $30 only.

Also, just making sure. Will trading in only the Wii work at BB for the extra 40% if he preorders a game? I was thinking, if he signs up for that RZ gamer he can get a few more money if he waits until the 12th.

[quote name='ceve2001']Oh wow! Thanks for the link. For some reason when he was trying to trade it in, the guy only told him $30 only.

Also, just making sure. Will trading in only the Wii work at BB for the extra 40% if he preorders a game? I was thinking, if he signs up for that RZ gamer he can get a few more money if he waits until the 12th.[/QUOTE]

You can't trade in the Wii at Best Buy. They only accept handhelds in store. Plus the 40% is only for games. You can trade in a console online.

perhaps this has been answered in the thread somewhere but what exactly does bby do with 50 disc only games? They tag em and put em on the shelf at that same store you traded them in or do they send them to some big factory where they're distributed to other stores?

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']You can't trade in the Wii at Best Buy. They only accept handhelds in store. Plus the 40% is only for games. You can trade in a console online.[/QUOTE]

There are a few stores that accept hardware. These are few and far between. You can check if your store accepts hardware by going to the BB trade in site and search for your local BB in the middle. When redirected to where it says store hours etc, If yours accepts hardware under the "at this store section" it will say " hardware trade in no receipt".

If yours doesn't say that or your store isn't listed when searching then they won't accept it.

[quote name='Velo214']i traded bout 50, straight in those slips no problem.
oh wow! i didnt know so many cags in stl, you and derclaw and msuhitman and shrike the mod. good stuff as long as we don't step on eacho other's toes. don't let my post throw you off, crestwood bestbuy is so super cool and easy with flips. try to go for a chic, but even the dudes are cool. peace brother.

hopefully we don't bump into eachother some time. running into derclaw was.... awkward. lol. he seemed like a good guy but it's so weird meeting online people in real life. especially when i got my baby and girls around me, lol. peace all[/QUOTE]

Yup, did another 70 PS2 and some left over BBV games. I know the search system so well now, I guide the CS rep on how to do the searches LOL

I just read some one else complaining that we're becoming like SD because we're trading PS2 games, I'm like WTF, is that person stupid. Flipping has been part of the CAG culture for as long as I remember. Apparently they are too lazy, stupid or Leet to join in collecting the free money. BB are basically giving me free games for now after all the flips are added up.

[quote name='animemaniac14']perhaps this has been answered in the thread somewhere but what exactly does bby do with 50 disc only games? They tag em and put em on the shelf at that same store you traded them in or do they send them to some big factory where they're distributed to other stores?[/QUOTE]

They are putting them on the shelf at my store. Someone actually bought 1 of the PS2 games while I was there yesterday. He was stoked because he had filled a hole in his collection. So maybe I doing BB a favor. j/k

[quote name='animemaniac14']perhaps this has been answered in the thread somewhere but what exactly does bby do with 50 disc only games? They tag em and put em on the shelf at that same store you traded them in or do they send them to some big factory where they're distributed to other stores?[/QUOTE]

Mine said they send them off to a distribution center where they are packaged for resale (or destroyed, as the case may be with these)

[quote name='jer7583']Mine said they send them off to a distribution center where they are packaged for resale (or destroyed, as the case may be with these)[/QUOTE]

Mine said this as well. However, after not receiving any games for roughly two months, all of the games I have personally (and recently) traded in started appearing on the display rack. I kind of got the feeling that the manager said "the hell with it" and decided to start selling the games once they were traded in. :lol:

Can someone tell me what Epic Mickey and Kirby's Epic Yarn were trading in at yesterday/Monday? I know at least Epic Mickey was higher than the $10 today. Any help appreciated!

[quote name='outkastx']Can someone tell me what Epic Mickey and Kirby's Epic Yarn were trading in at yesterday/Monday? I know at least Epic Mickey was higher than the $10 today. Any help appreciated![/QUOTE]

Monday when I traded them in Epic Mickey was $14 and Kirby was $10, before promo.

i know this isn't the gazelle forum but thought you might be interested in this. idk if their tiv's are even competitive anymore, but just in case.

---Get a $5 bonus on your trade in
Surprise! For being a great customer, we've got a little something extra for you this week- and it's not even your birthday. Get an extra $5 on anything you trade in at Gazelle before September 14, 2011.

So make sure to check your drawers to see what gadgets you have lying around. Remember, we accept gadgets in 22 categories like cell phones, cameras, mp3 players and more!

What do you have to do?
Visit gazelle.com- Search for the items you're looking to trade in and get an offer.
Use bonus code EXTRA5- make sure you plug this in at checkout before September 14, 2011
Ship your items to Gazelle- we pay for shipping as long as there is at least one item worth at least $1 in the box. Some orders even qualify for a box!
Get paid- Once we get your item, we'll inspect it and issue payment.

[quote name='JediJames2']Monday when I traded them in Epic Mickey was $14 and Kirby was $10, before promo.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I had my math right on how much credit was lost :).

[quote name='outkastx']Thanks, just wanted to make sure I had my math right on how much credit was lost :).[/QUOTE]

Depressing isnt it. Not knowing that say, 1 day difference is like 40% TIV drop.

[quote name='nakanenui']Depressing isnt it. Not knowing that say, 1 day difference is like 40% TIV drop.[/QUOTE]

BB is catching on to flipping and updating good flipping games faster now. Used to go for a few days before they caught on, now you're lucky I you get 2 or 3 days.

I'm sure the insane volume of PS2 games priced at 1$ will drop in the very near future. The cat and Mouse game of flipping requires dedication and quick turnaround :)

[quote name='Jimmienoman']BB is catching on to flipping and updating good flipping games faster now. Used to go for a few days before they caught on, now you're lucky I you get 2 or 3 days.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, think how many SWTFU2 copies are being traded in right now and it's still sitting at $12. MOH is still trading in for $8 or $9 and they sell it for $20 new.

[quote name='nakanenui']Depressing isnt it. Not knowing that say, 1 day difference is like 40% TIV drop.[/QUOTE]

In the grand scheme of things it's only $14.80 (3x Epic Mickey), but every little bit hurts. :D

Here's a funny question, if I've already pre-ordered a game, can I continue trading in games toward the price of the pre-ordered game?

I have a stack of games I want to trade in, and two more I want to finish up before trading. Can I trade in the initial stack for the 40% bonus, and then a day later bring in two more games getting the 40% bonus on those as well?

If not, I'll just bring them all down today. Thanks

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']Here's a funny question, if I've already pre-ordered a game, can I continue trading in games toward the price of the pre-ordered game?

I have a stack of games I want to trade in, and two more I want to finish up before trading. Can I trade in the initial stack for the 40% bonus, and then a day later bring in two more games getting the 40% bonus on those as well?

If not, I'll just bring them all down today. Thanks[/QUOTE]

YMMV. Most will make you preorder again. I think mainly because, at least locally, they have preorder bonuses for the store that has the most preorders in a certain period of time.

I buy a ton at my local BB and they will let it slide about every other time. Most of them know I have 15+ preorders already so they let it slide some.

Btw you can easily preorder after you get your credit and return it the next time you go in. I only cashed in 1 of my 4 madden preorders, they asked why and I said that TRU had a better deal that BB wouldn't PM ( they did 1st time, then denied me 2 other times when I went to get a couple for friends).

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Was it on sale at your store for $80 too? I've been thinking about picking up to try it out and trade in Tiger Woods. Just don't know if I would be into the Move games currently out.[/QUOTE]

I got it when it was a gold box deal at Amazon for $50 a few weeks ago. Yeah, I'm not into any of the major PS Move supported games out right now besides Heavy Rain. Although I did find, "The Shoot" for $9.xx at my local Sam's Club (it's usually $25 on Amazon) so that was cool. Honestly, I only bought that package because I was planning on buying the PS Eyetoy camera so I can use it with GT5 (eye tracking when moving your head left or right to see that side of your car in cockpit view).

[quote name='Abeja']Yeah i traded in a disc only Homefront and they took it no problem.[/QUOTE]

Thx for the confirmation!

[quote name='Nucking Futs!']I got it when it was a gold box deal at Amazon for $50 a few weeks ago. Yeah, I'm not into any of the major PS Move supported games out right now besides Heavy Rain. Although I did find, "The Shoot" for $9.xx at my local Sam's Club (it's usually $25 on Amazon) so that was cool. Honestly, I only bought that package because I was planning on buying the PS Eyetoy camera so I can use it with GT5 (eye tracking when moving your head left or right to see that side of your car in cockpit view).
[/QUOTE]

Did you try it with GT5? I didn't know they had that. Sounds awesome if it works well.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Did you try it with GT5? I didn't know they had that. Sounds awesome if it works well.[/QUOTE]

I've been so busy with work, I haven't played any games lately. It's gotten mixed reviews (regarding the Eyetoy headtracking part of the game). From what I remember reading online (I Goggle'd it awhile back), it's all about caliberation of some sort to get it just right.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Did you try it with GT5? I didn't know they had that. Sounds awesome if it works well.[/QUOTE]

Depends on how big your head is.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Has anybody tried trading in original Xbox games?[/QUOTE]

Sadly they don't accept them same with gamecube. I tried the first time I went in and was denied. Still been making a killing though at around $650 on the card and about 150 ps2 games left to trade in:drool:

[quote name='thakoolkid']Sadly they don't accept them same with gamecube. I tried the first time I went in and was denied. Still been making a killing though at around $650 on the card and about 150 ps2 games left to trade in:drool:[/QUOTE]

Gamecube is YMMV. as my local store still accepts it and was told they actual needs GC controllers badly

I see this on the site,

Limit: We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED.

has anyone encountered this blockage yet? I've got another SWFU2 and I think I've already moved 3 of them. Trying to see if they are really that strict on the amount of submissions you return to them. So are they saying they'll KEEP your games if you bring in more than you traded in?

[quote name='destro4eva']I see this on the site,

Limit: We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED.

has anyone encountered this blockage yet? I've got another SWFU2 and I think I've already moved 3 of them. Trying to see if they are really that strict on the amount of submissions you return to them. So are they saying they'll KEEP your games if you bring in more than you traded in?[/QUOTE]

If you are mailing in then I wouldn't take the chance. But if you want to, be more than welcome to be our little guinea pig.

Just got back from tradin' in a stack of PS2 games. Converted about $18 GS credit to ~$50 BB credit. It took forever, but the girl there was super helpful and not rude at all. Just wanted to throw some more anecdotal evidence that not all blue shirts hate flippers.

[quote name='Velo214']i know this isn't the gazelle forum but thought you might be interested in this. idk if their tiv's are even competitive anymore, but just in case.

---Get a $5 bonus on your trade in
Surprise! For being a great customer, we've got a little something extra for you this week- and it's not even your birthday. Get an extra $5 on anything you trade in at Gazelle before September 14, 2011.

So make sure to check your drawers to see what gadgets you have lying around. Remember, we accept Ship your items to Gazelle- we pay for shipping as long as there is at least one item worth at least $1 in the box. Some orders even qualify for a box!gadgets in 22 categories like cell phones, cameras, mp3 players and more!

What do you have to do?
Visit gazelle.com- Search for the items you're looking to trade in and get an offer.
Use bonus code EXTRA5- make sure you plug this in at checkout before September 14, 2011

Get paid- Once we get your item, we'll inspect it and issue payment.[/QUOTE]

Site is so messed up i wouldnt even trust them anymore ... looked up 2 games and when you hit continue it takes you to a page with 50 games and goes IS ANY OF THESE YOUR GAME

I just traded 2 more copies of The Force Unleashed 2, when I was informed by the sales girl that she'd try to give me an extra 50% bump with a Gears of War 3 preorder. This apparently goes into effect on Sunday, as it's not active yet. Took the 40% because "these" games can't stay at $12 for much longer.

[quote name='darkasian']an extra 50% bump with a Gears of War 3 preorder. This apparently goes into effect on Sunday[/QUOTE]

Any idea if that's only for Gears of War 3 pre-orders or all pre-orders?

[quote name='darkasian']I just traded 2 more copies of The Force Unleashed 2, when I was informed by the sales girl that she'd try to give me an extra 50% bump with a Gears of War 3 preorder. This apparently goes into effect on Sunday, as it's not active yet. Took the 40% because "these" games can't stay at $12 for much longer.[/QUOTE]

I was going to wait 'til Saturday to trade some games, but if this is true I'll just wait an extra day. Some of the games I'm trading in I haven't even played yet, then again that's usually the case.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Just got back from tradin' in a stack of PS2 games. Converted about $18 GS credit to ~$50 BB credit. It took forever, but the girl there was super helpful and not rude at all. Just wanted to throw some more anecdotal evidence that not all blue shirts hate flippers.[/QUOTE]

how many ps2 games did u trade in?

[quote name='darkasian']I just traded 2 more copies of The Force Unleashed 2, when I was informed by the sales girl that she'd try to give me an extra 50% bump with a Gears of War 3 preorder. This apparently goes into effect on Sunday, as it's not active yet. Took the 40% because "these" games can't stay at $12 for much longer.[/QUOTE]

So with the new Gamer Club Unlocked starting 9/12... Extra 60% bonus? That sounds fucking amazing! All my Amazon penny games are going there!

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']So with the new Gamer Club Unlocked starting 9/12... Extra 60% bonus? That sounds fucking amazing! All my Amazon penny games are going there![/QUOTE]

Sorry for being a noob but how/where do I sign up for gamer club thing? That's so much better than the 40% I would've gotten tomorrow.

[quote name='Cysquatch']Sorry for being a noob but how/where do I sign up for gamer club thing? That's so much better than the 40% I would've gotten tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't exist yet, but I presume that if you go into a BB on or around 9/12, you will be bombarded with requests to join.

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']Any idea if that's only for Gears of War 3 pre-orders or all pre-orders?[/QUOTE]

Probably will be like the Madden 50% was and just last for a week or two (plus a couple days after release).

I'll be out of town. Anyone know if they have BB's in the virgin islands :)

More power to all of you who trade in many games at once. I traded in Killzone 3 today and it took a decent amount of time. Do you have to sign a sheet for each game you trade in? Worked out well in the end ($28 credit) but I was thinking about all of you trading in hundreds of games.

Yeah it definetly takes some time. I took about 60 more in today and used my wife's driver's license for them since I had hit 3 each with most of the sports games. She didn't really mind waiting but I was surprised that it took almost an hour. The guy was kinda slow though, stopping frequently to chat with his work buddies a lot.

I think i'm done with ps2 flipping to best buy. I flipped at least 100 of them. Paid for Space Marine, like 6 pre-orders, and Driver:SF today. I still have like $60 in credit to use on RAGE or something.

It's definitely the slowest of the places, but they are generally getting faster. They need to step it up some though. It's at least 4 times as fast anyplace else, even at Target where they print out like 10 sheets of paper for every game you trade in.

EDIT: I shudder to think of the reams of paper that will be used if Target ever offers a base $1 value on Ps2 games :)

just got burned tonite. ouch. i knew walking in that epic mickey was 10 not 14, but i didnt know madden 11 dropped from 10 to 7. ouch. i was expecting 14 each, instead 9.80 each. so 12 there and 14 instead of 19.60 so i was out about 27 for the day. oh wells. win some lose some. i mean, i still broke positive, but not as positive as i would have yesterday, oh wells. day flippn

Well, I walked into one of my local BB's & they said they needed the actual case, game disc & exterior insert (w/the barcode) so I got denied (I've got Tiger Woods 12 from the PS Move bundle without a barcode)! I guess I'll try another BB tomorrow since I have 5 - 7 within a 15-mile radius.

[quote name='Velo214']just got burned tonite. ouch. i knew walking in that epic mickey was 10 not 14, but i didnt know madden 11 dropped from 10 to 7. ouch. i was expecting 14 each, instead 9.80 each. so 12 there and 14 instead of 19.60 so i was out about 27 for the day. oh wells. win some lose some. i mean, i still broke positive, but not as positive as i would have yesterday, oh wells. day flippn[/QUOTE]

I Trademarked the term "day flippin" you now owe me 1 :ps2: game for every use. Now on a serious note, I hit up my GS for the used copy of Deus Ex :ps3: for 39.99, and while there I was able to locate another 36 :ps2: games to trade. Granted they are mostly the same games I have traded in more than 3 copies of, but its a different day/week, and I am planning to go to a different store, so better odds of not getting banned. I am sure they would say something when they pull up my account, and only take the non duplicate copies, so I am prepared though hopeful that things are going to go smooth, since they want my trades and preorders. Guess I can wait til Monday for their rewards program, since that would pay for itself on the first/second trade and maybe hit up another GS along the way. This feels like Gamerush all over again, haha.

[quote name='Velo214']just got burned tonite. ouch. i knew walking in that epic mickey was 10 not 14, but i didnt know madden 11 dropped from 10 to 7. ouch. i was expecting 14 each, instead 9.80 each. so 12 there and 14 instead of 19.60 so i was out about 27 for the day. oh wells. win some lose some. i mean, i still broke positive, but not as positive as i would have yesterday, oh wells. day flippn[/QUOTE]

brb changing some of my amazon orders.

just traded in my amazon wherehouse deals penny games, walked out with $125 in amazon gc's, which are going straight towards my wacom inkling fund. best pennies i ever spent. also, i thought i would have to spend $5 to make a new preorder to get the bonus 40%, but I just showed my preorder receipt from last month and the cashier counted that towards the deal. huzzah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back